2/13/2025: Localization News - Cosmic Fantasy 3-4!

Rather earth-shattering news in the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 community: Cosmic Fantasy 3 & 4 has been officially localized to English by Edia 30 years later for the Switch! Hard to believe! I know their script quality is poor given the 1&2 port but still good to see.
nintendo.com/us/store/products/cosmic-fantasy-collection2-switch/
Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - VestCunt

#1
Even if the emulation is good, SOMETHING about every ATgames product is going to suck. I got one of their SMS/GG handhelds with thirty games. I'm happy because it has titles that never made it to the SMS and the screen is better than the GG, but it's pretty janky.

1/3 of the games are unplayable because the d-pad is so sloppy.
1/3 of the games are unplayable without using the TV output because the screen is so small.
#2
Threads like this are why I love PCEFX.
Thanks to the obligatory bump from the 40-year-old, white, video gamer that believes the free market can do no wrong and totally missed the point. I might have missed this topic!
#3
Blazing Lazers. I don't know why I don't enjoy it. I like Soldier Blade and Cyber Core all right.

Also, why are vertical shooters less fun than horizontal shooters? I like primitive vertical shooters, like Galaga and Space Invaders, but somewhere around Astro Warrior I loose interest and will play Dead Moon or R-Type over a vertical scroller any day. 

My theory is verticals suck because of the aspect ratio of TV's. It's harder for designers to fill the screen with action when the top of the scrolling direction is smooshed.
-
Also CF2. And not because of the encounter frequency or lack of item effects, but because JRPG's ruined the world.

Quote from: wiseau on 01/29/2018, 04:12 AMVasteel. I dont know what it is about strategy game with hexagonspaces or feature length movies before the game starts, but i cant stand them.
Vasteel is the perfect sustainable strategy game -- good enough to be fun, but not spectacular. I can play a couple games, then put it down and have a life. I also love how it's totally not a Super CD -- some nice touches, but still firmly grounded in the dirty realm of early video games.
#4
Dark City's one-line reviews for the entire U.S. library remain one of the best things on the internet. Why we switched to watching idiots with webcams sitting in bedrooms lined with  unopened games as they struggle to construct sentences, I'll never know.
#5
I didn't buy a Wii until last year, but it's a cool system and I'm thankful for its support of older games. A third of the TG library was released for it and that's pretty cool. I remember we got a little uptick in traffic around here when it came out.

WiiWare wasn't bad either. They didn't make a Bonk game for it, but we got new entries for Adventure Island, Alien Crush, Bomberman, Gradius, Star Soldier, and non-TG lines like Contra, FF, Mega Man, etc.

As for buying Wii points, if you won't use your credit card for buying video games, why have a credit card?
#6
Yeah, 1st edition, some 2nd (specialty priests & wizards, tougher dragons, later Greyhawk developments). Taught a bunch of brand new players to enjoy classic rules, appreciate the 70's-80's art , and talk shit about modern editions.
:D
#7
Favorites:
TurboDuo
Sega Master System II (I'll sacrifice a card port and AV out for cosmetics ANY DAY)
NES (Metal Gear, Ultimas, Dragon Warrior, Hydlide, Rescue Embassy, Blades of Steel, lots of ninja games, MM2, FUCK)
--
Not favorites, but logged enjoyable hours on:
SNES (more Ultima! more Hudson! & Mario Kart)
3DO (a good selection of computer and arcade ports in the 16-bit era)
XBOX (D&D Heroes)
N64 (Perfect Dark)
SuperGrafx (kind of feels like a distinct little system)
TurboExpress (ditto)
#8
Buy/Sell/Trade / Re: WTB Canadian Items
11/27/2017, 10:07 PM
It begins. I was wondering why nobody was collecting the Canadian stuff ten years ago.
#9
Hey y'all! Nice to see some familiar users posting.

I bought a house last year (actually two on one lot) and got a band going again, so I haven't done much video gaming. Last January I finally picked up a Wii and played some PCE and NeoGeo on the VC. Then I got distracted with Pool of Radiance on the NES again and almost beat that. That's about it.

Made the mistake of trying to buy a NES Classic before it was discontinued -- never again. It seems we've entered the era of not being able to buy stuff because of hyper consumerism (low wages also encourage flippers).

My main nerd activity continues to be D&D. It's easier to do with friends. Combining a hobby and socializing makes the frivolous hours easier to justify. Unlike the TG16, a lot of publishers and fans still support classic D&D, so there's always new material to discuss.

Unfortunately, D&D is mainstream now and collectors are doing what they did to vintage video games ten years ago. Fortunately, I had a twenty-five-year headstart on the posers.

Glad PCEFX endures. The encroachment of Facebook groups into the realm of old bulletin board forums like this is super depressing. There's no institutional memory on Facebook and nobody knows shit. Social media lends itself to photos and haul videos, so most posts are just people bragging about buying crap.

PCEFX is comparatively awesome.
#10
Test it with a music CD
#11
I moved and want to be sure to get the demo. What's the best way to update my address since I preordered a few years ago?
#12
Quote from: esteban on 06/06/2016, 02:15 AMWhere the heck have you been?
I stop by once or twice a week to scan for homebrew progress, new aftermarket products, and the latest Zeta rant. I tracked down the last of the games I wanted years ago and replaced my screen time with my other childhood hobby: old school Dungeons & Dragons (a much more social activity that doesn't involve glowing rectangles), so I don't have much to talk about. But rest assured, I'll be here till I'm dead and my console isn't going anywhere.
#13
I like how he spent $3,600 in one pop and still needs most of the rares.
#collectardfails
#14
Hey, welcome to the forums. I made a list BITD that's stickied in the PC Engine section:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=764.0
#15
General Gaming / Re: Do you like the 32X?
03/21/2016, 08:00 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 03/16/2016, 07:08 PMIs it worth buying? I don't want to buy this just to take up space in my game room.
Considering the 32X can be had for the price of a pizza and fits on top of a Genesis, the question you should be asking yourself is: "Am I willing to hassle with another wall wart?"

Yeah. Fuck it. Who cares? Spend another ten for Doom and Virtual Racing. Have fun.

No one has suffered buyer's remorse over the 32X since 1994.
#16
The mod is super easy to do. It only takes a few minutes. If you don't have a tiny glasses screwdriver, you can get by with a small knife point or unfolded paperclip if you're careful.

The cheapest option would be to buy one of the gamedoctorhk PCE cables and mod it to your Turbotap. You won't be able to play multi-player games on your TG16 anymore, but it's cheap, you could keep all of your hardware, and enjoy a Tap with a longer cord on your PC Duo.

It looks like gamedoctorhk uses some different wire colors in their cables. You'll want to write down the colors and switch the same pins as the walkthrough, ignore the color guide.
#17
Quote from: technozombie on 02/05/2016, 01:19 PMit makes much more sense for hackers to put their effort into completely unlocalized games.
+1
#18
Probably my favorite video of all time
#19
1989 Looks cool!
1990 I wish I had some friends.
1991 These accessories are freaking expensive.
1992 A cheap 16-bit console!
1993 Finally, good games
1994 Clearance!
1995 That's it?
1996 Playstation sucks. Guess I'll keep playing my Duo.
1997 N64 sucks. Guess I'll keep playing my Duo.
1998 Ebay!
1999 Friends on the internets! Thank you Netscape Navigator!
2000 Imports are expensive.
2001 ...girls... alcohol...
2002 A new Turbo game!
2003 PCEngineFX Forums!
2004 It is no longer possible to press TG-CD's :(
2005 Why doesn't the sound work on my TurboExpress? Why doesn't the sound work on my TurboDuo?
2006 When did I become a "retro gamer"?
2007 Advent of Buy It Now. Imports are cheap, domestics are expensive. I own Sapphire! He lied to us!
2008 RIP TZD. This shit is getting expensive. Surely, prices will top off.
2009 Insanity! Pressed CD's!
2010 Who are all of these fucking noobs?
2011 Who are all of these fucking Youtube idiots?
2012 Concede hopes of U.S. set.
2013 Forum trolling eclipses game time
2014 Rise of the repros
2015 Ceases to be gamer, retro gamer, and collector, just internet asshole.
2016 ?
#20
Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2015, 12:39 AM
Estaban is f'ing weird. I like the fact that he recruited another human being for the moving camera shots. Also, the compression volume ducking.
#21
The poster came with my $99.99 TG16 purchased at a Minnesota Toys R Us in the Fall of 1992 (box had no holiday sticker)
#22
Off-Topic / Re: MC Scam
12/21/2015, 12:41 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2015, 09:15 AMI know. I couldn't resist.

Obviously, this is why we shouldn't talk about politics and stuff.

I still love you, Bernie—gun and all. :)

And my "New Year's Resolution" is to only argue about video game stuff here at pcefx...hopefully I'll be able to stick to this goal.
Nah, we should talk more politics. Our grandparents and older generations talked politics all the time.  I don't know why that stopped. Maybe it's the fearful corporate mentality and personal secrecy that permeates our workplaces or maybe millennials are just too sensitive.

Arguing with someone and caring about them shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Or maybe I just have too many relatives from New Jersey.
#23
Is this still a thing? It's fine if it's just going to take a while (I waited ten years for Mysterious Song), but there should either be updates or preorders should be refunded.
#24
Bought a few games this month.
I've been enjoying vintage arcade and computer ports lately.

With Arkista's Ring and Spiritual Warfare I now have every NES game that can be construed as an RPG, which has been a fun journey for the last twenty-five years (and yes, I've beaten Hydlide).

The loose carts on the right I found at a pawn shop in Berlin for about $25 total. I'd been looking for Sonic Spinball for years but hadn't been willing to pay the ebay rate.
IMG
#25
Off-Topic / Re: What happened to Esteban?
12/15/2015, 11:54 PM
Last I heard he started hating fun. A damn shame.

Honestly, I'm not worried. Most ten-plus-year members have taken a hiatus or two.
#26
There isn't much else to know or document. The pack-in discs either say make in the USA or made in Japan. The nearly identical pictures of two discs some guy in Nevada owned six years ago weren't terribly interesting then and probably aren't now. I'm sure if you put your wallet to it you'll be able to find both versions on EBAY.
#27
1) Bonk's Adventure
2) Super Bonk 2
3) Bonk's Revenge
4) Bonk 3
5) Super Bonk
#28
Fighting Street / Re: It has happened...
12/08/2015, 02:20 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/06/2015, 06:57 PMSo, given that reality, what are the rules? Do they have to destroy their copies when they sell the system? Please tell me that its that. That would be pretty great, actually...
Ideally, resellers should raffle them back to the forum or post them here for $5. On ebay, auctions are fine, BIN's are always bullshit.
#29
Jolt
#30
Quote from: fsa on 09/18/2015, 02:49 PMI notices that it's not readily out there and there are 2 sale listing for it going for over $100.00. on ebay. What up with this game and why would it be so much?
Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/18/2015, 03:16 PMIt's one of the late release games, thus produced in small quantities.  Also, those latter day games didn't come with cases, so many of their manuals have been lost/destroyed manuals, driving up the cost of those that remain Ebay

It's not a mystery.
Fixed
#32
Quote from: Mzo on 06/02/2015, 10:25 PMThe NES one is a bit more worse than just slightly.
Quote from: imparanoic on 06/02/2015, 09:38 PMit's noted that original street fighter was not very good or particular popular, but they stick with the original concept and built it from scratch which resulted in the success of the sequel
metal gear has a similar concept, IMO
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/03/2015, 12:33 AMFrom all accounts, it's also just a plain bad port of the original so I won't be too hard on my younger self.
I'll assume y'all are experts and grant that Metal Gear NES may be a rough port, but it's a great fucking game and one of the best on the NES. It was a sleeper because nobody knew what the hell to make of a weird, genre-bending RPG masquerading as a war/action game with an uncompromising opening scene and a tortuous path to the first gun.

The MSX and the quality of MG's conversion to the NES shouldn't even be a part of this conversation. Nobody in the U.S. in the Eighties had heard of the MSX or thought Metal Gear was anything less than an original NES exclusive.
#33
Quote from: MNKyDeth on 06/02/2015, 11:27 AMIt wasn't very popular among my friends at the time. I remember skate or die, tecmo bowl, contra being incredibly popular with the group of friends I had at the time.
+1. I loved Metal Gear and eventually beat it with the help of one of the Jeff Rovin books, but I was in the minority. No one else I knew owned a copy. I loaned it to some friends and they all hated it. None of the them even took the time to find the first gun.
#34
Only thing worse than Metal Jesus: twenty-six pages of people talking about Metal Jesus.
#35
Independent online shops with decent prices were slowly discovered and cleaned out of Turbo goods last decade. Being a resourceful Turbo shopper was fun and rewarding. Now the deals go to whichever brainless loser logs the most hours refreshing their newly-listed search on Ebay.

There are still a couple of domestic shops that sell commons on the low side of average. Japangamestock occasionally has a PCE game for less than the going rate. Once in a while a minor deal shows up on Amazon, Estarland, or Half and sits for a couple days before someone grabs it.
#36
Quote from: Desh on 03/10/2015, 10:00 PMIf you're talking about a Ti99/4A it would have been called TI Invaders.  It's a clone of Space Invaders but I enjoy it much more than the 2600.
Thanks for the info. Looking at Google images, that could have been it.
#37
Crystalis, bitches.

Also Double Dungeons, Little Nemo, Times of Lore, Vigilante, Time Soldiers, and Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu.

All of those games that already have a series of sequels don't need anymore.
#38
1985: Space Invaders - The first game I spent any time with. I was five and have no idea what system my friend had this on. He said something about Texas Instruments. That's a console, right?

1987: Super Mario Brothers. I'd like to list something more idiosyncratic, but fuck, this game inspired a generation of gamers and I'm one of them.

1989: Metal Gear - bought used for $15 in a small-town children's clothing store. No manual. Took me two years to beat it, loved every minute of it.
 
1991: Ultima Quest of the Avatar - my twelve-your-old self actually made an effort to be more truthful and virtuous after playing this game.

1992: Life Force NES - turned me on to shooters. Didn't like the genre previously.

1992: Ys Vanished Omens - introduced me to both the SMS and the Ys series.

1993: Super Mario Cart

1994: Civilization I. First computer game I really enjoyed.

1999: Graal. An free MMORPG styled after Link to the Past. Within two months I became the leader of a Guild, had my own website, averaged 40hrs/week online, and almost lost my (real life) job. This is the reason I don't play online games.

2000: Perfect Dark - I've logged eight days on my cart, most of it with friends. I've probably played this more than any other action game or multiplayer.

2006: Order of the Griffon - my very late entry into SSI and Westwood games. Best RPG I've played since Ultima. Inspired me to track down all of the AD&D NES titles, Eye of the Beholder SNES, and buy a Genesis just for Warriors of the Eternal Sun.
#39
Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/06/2015, 01:51 PMI guess in 1997 I was 13...  so yeah Goldeneye was the tits back then.
It's just "tits," not "the tits."

The real reason Goldeye sucks isn't because it's dated, it's because Perfect Dark is better. I still play that shit. I hate modern consoles and computers have always been too addictive. Sure, there was no comparison between N64 Goldeneye and a LAN Quake game bitd, but I prefer the casual environment of friends crowded around a TV. Playing Quake for six hours straight without a bathroom break until my hands cramped up was fun, but not conducive to a healthy life.
#40
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/03/2015, 07:33 PMIt's not a matter of being a "hater", it's about having personal standards and not paying good money to fill your house with total fucking garbage. 
N64 collecting is like drinking or smoking: total waste of money, but kinda fun. And it doesn't kill you.

I sobered up ten years ago and immediately diverted all discretionary income to filling my house with useless video games and AD&D books. Haven't looked back since.
#41
Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/02/2015, 11:38 AMAs for ol' Sapphire, the only people that heard his story and believed it were fooling themselves.  None of Tobias's story ever made a lick of sense.
Fudoh's yarn reads like a house of lies today, but it was somewhat believable in 2005. No one had ever seen a posthumously-pirated PCE game before. Reproductions were in their infancy even on popular consoles. Mindrec had literally scoured the Earth (albeit not very thoroughly) and couldn't find anyone willing to replicate a PCE game. The official word from the tech people at the time (TZD, MindRec, etc.) was that the disc format was extinct. Cheap printers weren't as good, PCEFX didn't have a repair forum, Sparky wasn't making fancy labels, D-Lite was ruining the right headphone channel in brand-new TE's with his mono sound fix, and no one knew how to repair a Duo yet.

Admittedly, I WANTED to believe I was buying a real Sapphire, but whatever. The scene was ignorant about a lot of things back then.
#42
Sound engineer. A rock venue, a church, some freelance.
#43
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 03/03/2015, 01:57 AMZeta: Some of us give money to Tobias because no one else is stepping up and filling the void.  You guys constantly talk about how cheap and easy it is to get pressed CDs made.  So why does it take a "sleaze" like him to get it done?

I TOTALLY get what you're saying, although I don't think that the fact that I've bought stuff from Tobias and am not apologizing for it now makes me less of an adult.  My thing is that at least he just saw the desire and demand for something and just fucking did it.  Here, we have some long ass thread about "hey maybe we should press some games" and nothing to show for it.  But if anyone followed through with it, then you'd be stealing business from Tobias.  Same thing goes for the translations.  People want to buy copies of the translations, but guys like SamIAm don't want to go down that road.  I already made what I thought was a good suggestion for handling that, but it would take organization and the fronting of money, and it would never happen.  So in the absence of an option that pays the proper respect to the guys who made the translation, people will buy what's available.*

* Just on a personal note I will go on record as saying that I will NEVER buy one of these translations from Tobias or anyone else unless they are sanctioned by the people who did the translation.
Good points.

First order of business: ruin Tobias.

Next on agenda: find a translator, hacker, or forum member willing to grow a pair and meet demand by pressing some nice facsimiles without gouging anyone. (This will never happen.)

Solution: chill out. Let the urge for shiny collectable things die... along with hopes for happiness, true love, and escaping poverty. Never be complete. Make spine labels with Sharpie. Burn shitty ink-jet printables. Play patched games in modified XBOX to preserve Duo laser.

Happy ending: Aaron gets rid of Habboland theme. DarkKobold crawls in hole and dies. Pizza party! Fap fest!
#44
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 03/01/2015, 05:41 PMAs long as you're putting together a list of people who possess these sets, I have both of them as well.  If there's going to be a witch hunt, I wouldn't want to be left out while Bernie and Joe are being burned at the stake.
Witch hunt or no, supporting Foduh is retarded. Don't let your dislike for a few members' strong words turn it into a source of pride. You, Bernie, and Joe are good guys, but PCEFX members that support/own this stuff should be called out and get your heads checked.
#45
Quote from: elmer on 02/28/2015, 10:21 AMThere's a lot of negative talk about him here and in other threads.

I think that anyone, Tobias included, should have the chance to be able to respond to online trash-talk and defend themselves. I don't think that it is good to hide the discussion behind closed doors when people years from now can still come in and find it ... and not to see his side (if he wants to expound it).
God, this place never fucking changes.

I appreciate a good devil's advocate, but don't be an idiot. The old "two sides" argument kind of breaks down when the evidence is absolutely irrefutable, as in the case of... oh, I don't know, Tobias/Fudoh or the Holocaust.

Calling a spade a spade isn't trash talking. No one is wildly accusing Tobias of being a profiteering piece of shit,  HE IS A PROFITEERING PIECE OF SHIT. He feigned ignorance regarding the authenticity of the Sapphire bootlegs THAT HE REPLICATED so he could charge premium prices. Don't believe me? His lying posts are still on the forum, unmodified. Look it up. He profited on  Bonknut's free Megaman hack without permission, motivating Bonknuts to stop distributing ISO releases. Don't believe me? Find an archive of his webstore. He stole Xak III.

Now we can debate the morality and ownership of physical pirating, digital pirating, unauthorized fan translations and hacks until we're blue in the face and I'm content if we agree to disagree. Unfortunately, the handful of people with the skills and interest to hack and translate NES and PCE games (i.e., Nightwolve and Bonknuts) are getting pissed off, and that's bad news for everyone on these forums. So, don't defend Foduh, you fucking idiot. Also, he already has an account here and is free to post at any time. No one is silencing him.
#46
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 02/23/2015, 04:21 PMI disagree with this strongly. He's giving his personal take on the games, there's no better basis than his personal preferences.
Nope. Meaningful reviews demand an objective basis. Without it, criticism becomes completely idiosyncratic and readers don't have a reference point. Personal preference is a seasoning that can sway the final score a couple of points and make for an entertaining review. Nothing more. Objectivity is what separates interesting critics from the thousands of know-nothing cuss buckets slagging games on Youtube.
#47
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/04/2015, 09:46 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/04/2015, 07:12 PMThe dicks who joined this forum a month ago don't care about the translator because they've only been in the scene since XMas 2014 and they've never created anything of their own anyway so respect for hard work is meaningless. To them, hard work is "eBay self employment" and flipping Wonder Momo for $500 because TURBO RULES DUDE!
Basically sums a lot of this up. Community leeches looking for new ways to turn a nickle into a quarter. We get people coming here all the time to leech off the tech support so they can sell mods on ebay and other forums. Then we have noobs come around here singing up for raffles so they can win shit to flip. Then we have those other noobs that try to suck the sales threads dry so they can complete their Turbografx collection they just started last tuesday, because they have been long time Turbo fans, since sometime last 2014 when they saw it on a youtube video.

Given all of this, the fact that we have noobs on this thread now posting why they think all of this is perfectly fine is no surprise. Basically a bunch of cum buckets with a heightened sense of self-entitlement, with no respect for the TG scene, the community here, the translation/dev scene, or any original IP owners.
Posts like these are why I'm still a member here.
#48
new TG16 @ Toys R Us, 1992, $100 w/Keith Courage
used Turbo Duo @ Games to Go (RIP used game shop in Richfield, MN), 1997, $150 w/Ys 1-2

Games and accessories purchased at Toys R us and Games to Go and mail ordered from Radio Shack, Game Dude, BRE Software, Video Game Network (Coon Rapids, MN), and Play It Again Games (NYC).
   
new Turbo Duo replacement @ TZD, 2006, $150
new TE @ TZD, 2006, $180
used SGX @ ebay, c. 2006, $150+/-
used SCD @ ebay, c. 2007, $150+/-
#49
Hi Sparky, I'll take one too. Thanks.
#50
Quote from: guest on 01/07/2015, 11:39 PMCourtesy of esteban and his great site! He made a thread not too long ago about this. You even get options! :)

https://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm
Awesome. I hadn't seen this page yet.

The discerning viewer will note that my GoT design in the only one to feature authentic art from the Japanese version NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN THE U.S.!