10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Pop cultural references to TG-16

Started by esteban, 07/08/2009, 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

YOUR MISSION*: If you have come across seemingly random references to TG-16, even if they are corny, share them. :)
Hint: Do a Google images search for anything TG-16/PCE related and you often find something. Provide Text hyperlink to the source (most important), and hotlink the images if you want (for lazy bastards who don't want to click links, you friggin' instant-gratification sloths).

*Should you choose to accept it.

------------------
So, I was bored and I happened across this site, which seems decent overall, but had these TG-16 related items:

SOURCE: Resigned Gamer (click here to read words of wisdom accompanying each!)

IMG

IMG

Not bad. They brought a smile to my face.

Oh, and they definitely love TG-16, just look at the favicon they use! There's only one (or three) PCE/TG-16 games that could have come from.

------------------

SOURCE: Bonk's Big Problem (click here to read artist's explanation)
IMG
IMG
IMG

That's a better rendition of Bonk than the ones used by NEC back in the day, IMO. Seriously, the original TG-16 Bonk was kinda creepy.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Dear lord, you guys stink! And, I'm pathetic enough to reply to myself! Ouch.

Source: An Homage to Bonk's Adventure (Title Screen)

IMG

I have absolutely no idea what this one is about. Is Pilgrim a fictional character in a book or a blogger? Who cares? The homage is faithful and meticulously crafted. I wish I could execute things this nicely.

UPDATE: ??? I never heard of Scott Pilgrim before making this post, but lo and behold: Scott Pilgrim is, it seems, a comic book that is being made into a live-action film. It also appears as if the artist/author has made other homages (or rip-offs, depending on your perspective) of classic video game stuff, like Super Mario Bros. 3 cover art.

Is there any chance that TG-16 references are in the actual comic/movie?

--------

Source: (The) Legendary Axe Tour (featuring Canibus, Killah Priest, C-Rayz Walz, Timbo King, DJ Woool)

IMG

Yes, yes, yes, yes.... YES! This cannot be a coincidence. Please tell me that this was an intentional ode (homage) to Makyou Densetsu! Please!

Any chance that these artists sample PCE/TG-16 chiptunes? I'd kill to hear Killah Priest sample Blodia's tunes.

UPDATE: It is with great sadness that I acknowledge that the tour featuring Mr. Canibus and Sir Killah Priest might have been referencing something other than TG-16 (perhaps Fable 2, for example... and, as a side note, the name "Chopper" should never be used for a legendary weapon of any sort, especially in England).

--------

Source: The USNO Millennium Time Ball

IMG
IMG

I never knew that NAVAL HISTORY was intermingled with Time Ball:

QuoteExplanation:  In the nineteenth century, dropping a time ball from a prominent location was a practical way of communicating the time to the surrounding country side and ships at sea. Initiating a fledgling time service for the United States, the U.S. Naval Observatory dropped a time ball at precisely noon every day begining in 1845. At the end of the twentieth century, in commemoration of this traditional method of disseminating time, the U.S. Naval Observatory has installed this ceremonial time ball atop its main building in Washington D.C. Dropping this time ball - at midnight Eastern Standard Time on New Year's Eve - will be the local culmination of a "round-the-world time ball drop" marking the beginning of the year 2000 and the beginning of the Third Millennium in 2001.
Who knew? I did not. It is intriguing. And it is awesome.

I strongly suspect that Blodia (Timeball), not unlike the timeballs of yore, will leave its indelible mark on history.

Arjak

I know that Strong Bad (a character from a popular internet flash cartoon series) made a reference to the good old Turbo once.

"What!? Babbage's ain't got no mo' Turbo Grafx games!?"

I love Strong Bad, so this quote only made me love him more.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Arkhan Asylum

in Rumble in the Bronx, the little cripple kid is playing a GT If I remember right
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/10/2009, 12:46 PMin Rumble in the Bronx, the little cripple kid is playing a GT If I remember right
And in Enemy of the State.

guyjin

Didn't someone here link to a video where Doogie Howser, MD plays one?

rag-time4

Quotein Rumble in the Bronx, the little cripple kid is playing a GT If I remember right
I thought for sure that Rumble in the Bronx used a game gear....

termis

I do recall seeing another PCE plate on here long time ago -- it might've been from the same movie, but anyway, from the cult classic, Duel

IMG

_Paul

Quote from: termis on 07/11/2009, 10:13 AMI do recall seeing another PCE plate on here long time ago -- it might've been from the same movie, but anyway, from the cult classic, Duel
I think the other was from Lost?

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2009, 10:31 AM
Quote from: termis on 07/11/2009, 10:13 AMI do recall seeing another PCE plate on here long time ago -- it might've been from the same movie, but anyway, from the cult classic, Duel
Yeah they had the same car with the same license plate on an episode of Lost that also parodied Robot Chicken's FFVI parody. It was listed in a similar thread, I think there have ben 3 or 4 of them so far that I can remember. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2009, 10:31 AM
right!

DUEL is one of my favs, and when i spotted that number plate, i was like WUIUIUIUIIII WOWOWOWOWOOOW!!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Does this count? (It's from Lost Odyssey on the 360)  :P

/magicen.jpg

D-Type

Just remembered this from Oh My Goddess manga volume 7. The original Japanese edition would of been released sometime around late 1992, which makes it about right.
/omgupr.jpg

Another one, the NEC logo from Sol Bianca episode 2.
/solb2.jpg

Think there was a DUO console in the Devil Hunter Yohko anime, but can't figure out which episode.  :?

Sinistron

I'm actually really looking forward to that Scott Pilgrim movie- not only is it directed by Edgar Wright- but it's starring who is imo the cutest actress of ever- Mary Elizabth Winstead  =P~
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Ninja Spirit

Air Zonk sighting (20s)
AirZonk-in-Higher-Learning-1995.webp
Warning: Get the kiddies out the room. the subject matter is way too intense!

Gogan

I remember I read somewhere that back in the 90s, the band Green Jelly talked about playing bonk on th TE on their tourbus while on tour. 

But then again I think it was a turbo play where I read it, so maybe not so pop culture, but whatever.....huffin, and puffin, and blow yer house in!  Great song!
Nothin beats the real thing.

esteban

Quote from: Gogan on 07/16/2009, 02:50 PMI remember I read somewhere that back in the 90s, the band Green Jelly talked about playing bonk on th TE on their tourbus while on tour. 

But then again I think it was a turbo play where I read it, so maybe not so pop culture, but whatever.....huffin, and puffin, and blow yer house in!  Great song!
Yup, Mathew Sweet and Green Jelly both were fans of TG-16, allegedly. :)  I suspect that they received TurboExpresses + games for free, as part of a marketing/promotion campaign, but, who knows?

Green Jelly splats the TurboExpress. Apparently, they enjoyed Bonk's Adventure whilst on tour.

TurboExpress: On the road with Mathew Sweet.

Check out the games he likes to play. Shoot-em-up fan, no? He bought a PCE console. Not bad :).

So, a few years ago I tried to find more info on what Sweet's TG-16 /video game interests were. This is all I found:

Mathew Sweet + Genesis + TurboGrafx-16

I haven't changed: I still would love to see what Sweet's library of games were back in his PCE-lovin', TurboExpress-lovin', Genesis-lovin' days.

Quote from: Sinistron on 07/16/2009, 01:15 PMI'm actually really looking forward to that Scott Pilgrim movie- not only is it directed by Edgar Wright- but it's starring who is imo the cutest actress of ever- Mary Elizabth Winstead  =P~
Yeah, I never heard of her before, or seen any of her films, but... is she cute?

YES. :)

----------------
NOTE: Some of you guys didn't read the mission statement clearly. You're supposed to find NEW references, not rehash the old stuff!  sunteam_paul captured the spirit with his noble attempt :). I don't think I had not seen the Sol Bianca still before (but the Oh my Goddess! stuff was mentioned on magicengine forums back in the day).

For example (and I wish I had taken a picture): Red Devil Fireworks (?) stole Air Zonk, make him red, and used him as a mascot for an unknown period of time. When I lived in Southern California, there were large signs/placards promoting fireworks sales (fundraisers for schools and non-profits) and I couldn't believe it! I wish I had taken pictures. Damn! I don't know if it was a one-off (for the school only), or if the company actually provided them to many organizations.
----------------

Go, you lazy bastards, and dig up some new stuff.

Or not.

esteban

SOURCE: Grandma, what a big sword you have (click to read cartoonist's commentary)

IMG

Keith Courage. Yup. Wait. It gets better...

IMG

Canadians.

SOURCE: Love Stung: My Affair With Hudson Soft (click to read article)

IMG IMG

Gotta love that artwork.

esteban

SOURCE: pcengine-fx.com forums

bloodywolfcasio.jpg

By all accounts, this photo is from the electronics section of a Sears catalog.

Awesome.

esteban

SOURCE: Adol stars in Ys: Box I & II *

lost: harlancore com/2009/03/adol001.png
e.g. adol_cubee.webp

This is pretty neat. Print it out, cut and fold.

If you read the post, you'll see that TG-CD was the inspiration for the Adol "Boxpunk", but the site offers many, many other characters from various games.

*Yes, he spells it with an apostrophe. We can forgive him.

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2009, 11:45 AM*Yes, he spells it with an apostrophe. We can forgive him.
Maybe you can..... not that I'll let my seething bitterness stop me from printing this slice of awesome.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

SOURCE: TurboExpress in NYC

IMG

Thanks to jboypacman for this find: a promo for Engadget featuring a TurboExpress in NYC. Apparently, technology sites can't get enough TG-16!

SOURCE: Random. Totally.

IMG

Thanks to MotherGunner for this totally random find. Of course, someone left the following comment:

IMG

BlackandBlue

Apparently there is some weird Japanese movie that is coming out that is referred to as an "odd film that mixes the claustrophobia of Cube, the asylum-like paranoia of Jim Henson's The Cube, and the random, colorful Japanese itemization of a Turbo Grafx 16 game import."
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

BlackandBlue

Found another today by the Geekologie Writer:

QuoteThanks Maicon, now do one exclusively with games and characters for the Turbografx-16. Damn yeah B for Bonk's Adventure!
It excited me.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

henrycsc

Adol's pretty awesome!  I came Across these (somebody's probably already posted them somewhere):

http://www.harlancore.com/blog/?p=693
http://www.cubeecraft.com/cubee/turbografx16
16bit001.png

Quote from: esteban on 08/04/2009, 11:45 AMSOURCE: Adol stars in Ys: Box I & II *

lost: harlancore com/2009/03/adol001.png
e.g. adol_cubee.webp

This is pretty neat. Print it out, cut and fold.

If you read the post, you'll see that TG-CD was the inspiration for the Adol "Boxpunk", but the site offers many, many other characters from various games.

*Yes, he spells it with an apostrophe. We can forgive him.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

MotherGunner

Unless it doesn't qualify, don't forget the Vigilante rip-off I posted a long time ago too.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2649.0
Kung Fu 72
IMG IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

OldRover

Although I don't have a picture of it, there was this mail-in competition in a magazine many years ago in which they were giving away a whole slew of consoles, one of which was the TG16. To compete, you had to send $5 along with a completed puzzle from the magazine. What was interesting was that there was only one game shot in the photos for the compo, and the shot was of Sinistron's second stage. Since this was during the TG16's heyday, and I don't think the game has ever been ported (especially not back then), there is no way it was from another console. Also, I know it was Sinistron and not Violent Soldier, since Violent Soldier has lightning bolts in the background of stage 2 and Sinistron does not.

The same company did a similar competition (not sure if it was before or after the video game one) where they gave away a guitar and some amp equipment. Those were the only two compos I saw from them... apparently they had others too.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Gogan

Ha! I remember that one, I remember thinking "what is that the sweet ass game on that big screen?! I hope its for TG, then I found out, much to my surprise it was. 

Mustve  entered that contest in every mag I saw it in.
Nothin beats the real thing.

Firebomber7

I think it was called Pandemonium, or something like that.  You had to complete a series of about 4-5 puzzles.  They offered extra prizes each round if you paid some more money.  Probably a bit of a scam, but the prizes sure looked awesome.

I think when I tried it out, it was for an SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, 3DO and Jaguar.  There was also an entertainment system in there.  Maybe a PC, too.  That would've been from 1993, I guess.  I don't remember there being a Duo, although I'm sure there was in the 1992 edition (or at least a TG-16 w/CD-ROM).

edit:

Google images came through!

Here's the one I entered (no Turbo...  it was either 1993 or 1994, considering the consoles in the picture.)
IMG

Here's the one Old Rover was probably referring to.  Interesting how they're including a Super Famicom.  Maybe they should've had a PC Engine as well!!!  Must have been a 1990 or 1991 contest.
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

Tatsujin

Nice one, from all the devices they had choosed the PCE/TG16. They had taste.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

BlueBMW

So I'm not the only one that chucked money to that scam :P  Good to know :lol:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

I remember that one too! I always drooled at the Neo-Geo and actual Super Famicom during class back then. :)

esteban

Ha! Everyone remembers those stupids ads :)

Here's a new addition, courtesy of PD:

TNTRedDevil-AirZonkHomage.webp

Zonk as a red devil mascot for TNT Fireworks.

TNTRedDevils.webp
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063787950123

MotherGunner

Quote from: esteban on 01/21/2011, 01:23 AMTNTRedDevil-AirZonkHomage.webp
TNTRedDevils.webp
Same devilish shades!
-MG

esteban

I will not let this goddamn thread die! BEHOLD: bonkbonkbonk

devbonkbonkbonk_by_anjinanhut.webp

Source: anjin anhut's deviantART gallery

Mathius

There is something about that pic that's a little bit creepy!

RR1980

why does the Genjin/Bonk have his front teeth missig I am pretty sure NEC has a very generous dental package! hehe

termis

Quote from: esteban on 01/21/2011, 01:23 AMTNTRedDevil-AirZonkHomage.webp
TNTRedDevils.webp
Actually the other two devils seem somewhat familiar as well.  I'm digging down to my youth back to the mid 80s and all, but I get visions of the one on the left on like some 4th of July firecracker stand/package, etc... something to do with firecrackers, and the one on the middle having to do with some candy of some sort... like hot tamales-type candy or something (holy crap, I had totally forgotten about hot tamales too until I saw this).  Anyway, my mind can be making things up, but if anyone recognizes the other devils, let me know!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: termis on 04/02/2011, 12:19 PMTNTRedDevils.webp
Actually the other two devils seem somewhat familiar as well.  I'm digging down to my youth back to the mid 80s and all, but I get visions of the one on the left on like some 4th of July firecracker stand/package, etc... something to do with firecrackers, and the one on the middle having to do with some candy of some sort... like hot tamales-type candy or something (holy crap, I had totally forgotten about hot tamales too until I saw this).  Anyway, my mind can be making things up, but if anyone recognizes the other devils, let me know!
The middle one is Ghoulardi.
--DragonmasterDan

jperryss

Can someone here tell me what the deal was with those Pandemonium puzzle contests?

I remember seeing them in EGM and other gaming mags in the early-mid 90s.

I never entered, but the one in the magazine was always easy and I knew for sure there had to be a catch. What was it?

BlueBMW

Quote from: jperryss on 04/02/2011, 06:13 PMCan someone here tell me what the deal was with those Pandemonium puzzle contests?

I never entered, but the one in the magazine was always easy and I knew for sure there had to be a catch. What was it?
I entered bitd.... it had to be a scam.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

Quote from: jperryss on 04/02/2011, 06:13 PMCan someone here tell me what the deal was with those Pandemonium puzzle contests?

Ask, and you shall receive: 15 Years of Not Winning...

I won't spoil anything for you... it's worth reading :)

jperryss

Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2011, 07:44 PMAsk, and you shall receive: 15 Years of Not Winning...

I won't spoil anything for you... it's worth reading :)
Thanks for the link.

So yeah....scam. Kinda what I figured.

_Paul

Came across this while looking at photos my brother took while in Australia. Bears a striking resemblance to a certain baddie in PC Genjin.

/ozpck.jpg

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, I'd say that looks like Egghead Errol!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/13/2011, 05:04 PMCame across this while looking at photos my brother took while in Australia. Bears a striking resemblance to a certain baddie in PC Genjin.

/ozpck.jpg
TOTALLY! :)

MotherGunner

Necro bump!

Saw this cool article out of nowhere, and I LOVED the first setup!

wayback.technabob.com/2013/jace-hall-ultimate-arcade-cabinet
jace_hall_arcade_cabinet_1.webp
-MG

ParanoiaDragon

That's sweet, but I can't imagine standing up playing M&M3 for hours on end! :D
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/25/2013, 01:32 AMThat's sweet, but I can't imagine standing up playing M&M3 for hours on end! :D
With standing desks all the rage these days, arcade cabinets were ahead of their time! Playing games whilst sedentary is unhealthy, but stand up and you are GOLDEN.  :pcgs: :)

I speak truth.