10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine Game Reviews & Manuals

Started by lkermel, 06/15/2009, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Nice screenshots of Tatsujin! Interesting write-ups too. Sounds like this one really is crazy difficult. She goes for a pretty penny though, doesn't she?

Good to know that this shootie has a slim/arcade screen mode. I'll add that to the list. I wonder how many more games have the hidden option.  :-k  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4934.0

Thanks for posting the update!   :mrgreen:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

futurematt

Quote from: ceti alpha on 06/17/2010, 09:02 AMNice screenshots of Tatsujin! Interesting write-ups too. Sounds like this one really is crazy difficult. She goes for a pretty penny though, doesn't she?

Good to know that this shootie has a slim/arcade screen mode. I'll add that to the list. I wonder how many more games have the hidden option.  :-k  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4934.0

Thanks for posting the update!   :mrgreen:
Great information! I have listed a new comment on that thread, relating to whether the image dimensions are actually increased as we know resultion to be measured (like on a camera) as opposed to simpy redrawing the image - I will test on an emulator.
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

lkermel

Waooo, Ceti, this is a great thread !!! I've always wondered why the option was hidden away in most of the games... it is, I think, an amazing feature that should be included in ALL option menus :)
As far as I noticed, the arcade mode on Tatsujin seems to give more breathing space with identical sprites, so they (I think) use the Hires mode. I'll let you know if I know of any other games not listed on your awesome thread.

QuoteThanks for posting the update!
Y'welcome ;)

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 06/21/2010, 01:21 PMWaooo, Ceti, this is a great thread !!! I've always wondered why the option was hidden away in most of the games... it is, I think, an amazing feature that should be included in ALL option menus :)
As far as I noticed, the arcade mode on Tatsujin seems to give more breathing space with identical sprites, so they (I think) use the Hires mode. I'll let you know if I know of any other games not listed on your awesome thread.

QuoteThanks for posting the update!
Y'welcome ;)
No problem. :) I hope you can find more games with an arcade mode!  [-o<
IMG

lkermel

New review and manual:

War of the Dead - PC Engine

I'm really excited about this one. I've always been attracted by War of the Dead but the password system just killed the experience. This review was a lot of work but it allowed me to unearth a really enjoyable (yet dated)  role playing game.

Nb. Sorry Ceti, no arcade mode in this one  :wink:

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 06/28/2010, 01:57 PMNew review and manual:

War of the Dead - PC Engine

I'm really excited about this one. I've always been attracted by War of the Dead but the password system just killed the experience. This review was a lot of work but it allowed me to unearth a really enjoyable (yet dated)  role playing game.

Nb. Sorry Ceti, no arcade mode in this one  :wink:
Curses! hehe

I wonder if someone sent this game to Romero he would add it to the canon of his zombie franchise.  :wink:
IMG

lkermel

_Paul

Quote from: lkermel on 07/06/2010, 12:29 PMNew review and manual:

Shadow of the Beast - PC Engine
Typo in the write-up. It says FM Town instead of FM Towns.

Otherwise great stuff, keep it coming.

lkermel

Thanks Paul for the heads-up, just fixed it :)
I've also added a note about Shadow of the Beast frustrating dead-ends. Although this PCE port is better (and easier) than the original Amiga version,  they've still included a couple of really annoying dead ends - I mean, you can get stuck if you don't pick up the correct items and you can't even backtrack to previous areas to retrieve them... that's poor game design...

_Paul

Yeah, Beast is not a great game on any format, but the music makes up a lot for that.

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 07/16/2010, 12:59 PMMore updates and manuals:

Parodius Da! - PC Engine
Very cool.  8) I wasn't aware that the PCE Parodius DA was missing a couple levels. At least there is a special intro and bonus level. This is one I'm looking at getting very shortly.
IMG

lkermel

QuoteI wasn't aware that the PCE Parodius DA was missing a couple levels.
I know, this is such a shame - especially when the Famicom port has them !

Anyway, more updates and manuals: :)

Valis II - PC Engine
Valis III - PC Engine
Valis IV - PC Engine

lkermel

More updates and manuals:

CD Denjin - PC Engine

I've also spotted a small difference between the Japanese and American versions of the game, you'll find it on the review page :)

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 07/30/2010, 12:46 PMMore updates and manuals:

CD Denjin - PC Engine

I've also spotted a small difference between the Japanese and American versions of the game, you'll find it on the review page :)
hahaha. King Droll was Jewish. Who knew?
IMG

lkermel

Quotehahaha. King Droll was Jewish. Who knew?
ha ha ! I know, isn't that awesome ?

New review and manual:

Dragon Knight & Graffiti - PC Engine

turbogrfxfan

i need a it came from the dessert manual :D
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

lkermel

Quotei need a it came from the dessert manual
Do you mean the game with the evil strawberry cheesecakes or the one with the giant ants ?  :wink:

turbogrfxfan

Quote from: lkermel on 08/03/2010, 12:33 PM
Quotei need a it came from the dessert manual
Do you mean the game with the evil strawberry cheesecakes or the one with the giant ants ?  :wink:
giant ants please lol
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

lkermel

No problem, I'll add that to my todo list - I still have a bunch of games to go through before getting to that one, but it's now on my list :D

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Cool! :)

The history of PC Genjin you provided was great. I keep forgetting about that arcade game, too. What were the tickets it dispensed all about?

Just a couple of minor grammar edits:

"The game tells the story of a young and cute primitive caveman, whose is on a long journey to dethrone the demonic lizard king."

---Just change whose to who.

"His only weapon is his big and bald head, he can either hit his opponents with a simple head-kick or jump in the air and dive down, head first, to smash them."

---I would change big and bald head to big bald head.

---The comma before "he" could either be replaced with a period, or you could insert a semi-colon there as well:

Examples:

- "His only weapon is his big bald head. He can either hit his opponents with a simple head-kick or jump in the air and dive down, head first, to smash them."

or

- "His only weapon is his big bald head; he can either hit his opponents with a simple head-kick or jump in the air and dive down, head first, to smash them."

or

- "His only weapon is his big bald head that can be used to either hit his opponents with a simple head-kick, or by jumping up in the air and then diving down, head first, to smash them."

Any one of those options should work. Hope I was more helpful than annoying.  :lol:

Keep up the goodness!  :mrgreen:
IMG

lkermel

Thanks a lot ceti alpha !!! I really appreciate your post, English is not my native tongue and your edits are priceless and help me a lot ! Thanks again :)

Tatsu no Ko Fighter - PC Engine

Yo !

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Duo_R

Did you ever find Ninja Gaiden?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

lkermel

Quote from: Duo_R on 10/12/2010, 06:30 AMDid you ever find Ninja Gaiden?
Ninja Gaiden is still on my to-do list, I think I have a couple of games to update before I get to this one. Nearly there...

Update : Damn ! you're totally right, I initially put this one on hold because... I never scanned it ! I'll do that at the end of December, when I'll be with my *beloved* collection :)

SuperPlay

Thank you for your work on the manuals :-)

lkermel

No problem mate :D

Shubibinman - PC Engine

lkermel

More updates and manuals (and more):'

Rabio Lepus Special - PC Engine
Psychic Storm - PC Engine

lkermel

Granzort - PC Engine
Wonderboy III Monster Lair - PC Engine

As a side note, I've included a new ad for Monster Lair (in the Omake section) that uses a different illustration than the final release of the game ! It features 'older characters', this is an interesting find I think, Hudson probably decided to make them look 'cuter' before release to attract a larger audience or something...

_Paul

That alternate ad is really interesting, I don't think I've seen that before - the cuter characters that they used later are a better match for the game graphics.

Ceti Alpha

Great updates, Ikermel. :)

I have a couple editing notes for ya, too. For now, just on the Monster Lair write up:

I could only spot a couple minor mistakes:

- The legendary amour and weapons of valor have been stolen and the thieves have vanished without a trace. Just when all hopes appear to be lost,

You just forgot the "r" in armour, and I believe it should read "Just when all hope appears to be lost,..."

I'll keep adding more edits as I go through them. I'm just on a major Wonderboy kick right now and read that one right away. heh
IMG

lkermel

@sunteam_paul

Yeah, I really like this alternate ad, but I also think the cuter characters fit the game a lot better - I found it in a Gekkan from August 1989, which is exactly when Monster Lair was released :)

@ceti alpha

Thanks mate ! I really appreciate your edits, as always. A Wonderboy kick ? Are you going through all the Monster World as well ?

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 11/24/2010, 02:19 AM@sunteam_paul

Yeah, I really like this alternate ad, but I also think the cuter characters fit the game a lot better - I found it in a Gekkan from August 1989, which is exactly when Monster Lair was released :)

@ceti alpha

Thanks mate ! I really appreciate your edits, as always. A Wonderboy kick ? Are you going through all the Monster World as well ?
Well, I have New Adventure Island (Wonderboy for my purposes ;)) and Bikkuriman World (Wonderboy in Monsterland) under my belt. Just working on Dragon's Curse right now. :)
IMG

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Very minor edits. :)

1. ...and a student of the Oh-Lin school of martial arts - Add the "s" to art.

2. One day, the warriors of the Dragon God went... - Add "e" to On.

3. The bald and axe-swinging monk doesn't have much choice; he must now go through five long areas, and save the children and reclaim the Oh-Lin scrolls. - Just added a semicolon between "choice and he". Added "and" before save.

4. Lee comes equipped with an axe - a weapon of limited range and accuracy. - Just added a dash, instead of the comma. They're two independent clauses and the dash serves as a stronger punctuation.

5. Other special items are also available for the taking - Health Bottles, Invincibility Crystal Balls, Lives, keys (to unlock spedial doors) or Capcom's trademark POW icon - which upgrades Lee's current weapon. - There were a lot of commas, so I just separated the weapon list from the sentence with a couple of dashes.

----------

Some of the reviews I read about this game say the collision detection in this game is absolutely terrible. But there's just something about this game. I remember it from the arcade and I'd like to see how the TG/PCE fairs.

Thanks for the uploads, Ikermel. :)
IMG

lkermel

Thanks a lot for the edits Ceti ! :D

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 12/14/2010, 02:37 PMThanks a lot for the edits Ceti ! :D
No problem. :)

But don't thank me too soon. I actually noticed an error in one of my edit suggestions.   :-" :lol:

Quote from: ceti alpha on 12/09/2010, 04:08 PM3. The bald and axe-swinging monk doesn't have much choice; he must now go through five long areas, and save the children and reclaim the Oh-Lin scrolls. - Just added a semicolon between "choice and he". Added "and" before save.
That "and" before "save the children" is not needed. You can keep the comma, but remove the "and".

So here is what it should read like:
Quote3. The bald and axe-swinging monk doesn't have much choice; he must now go through five long areas, save the children and reclaim the Oh-Lin scrolls.
Sorry for the confusion, Ikermel.  :oops:  :lol:
IMG

lkermel

No problem Ceti, I'll edit the text and fix it up, thanks again for your help mate :)

Duo_R, I'm back from vacation and managed to do a scan of Ninja Gaiden, here it is along with another update:

Ninja Ryukenden - PC Engine
Valkyrie no Densetsu - PC Engine

Happy new year everyone ! :D

Duo_R

lkermel

You're welcome mate ! I've also sneaked in a Japanese ad I had in the Omake section, I'm sure you've already found it. Don't hesitate to let me know if there're any other manuals you're looking for :)

New review and manual:

Galaxy Deka Gayvan - PC Engine

Yo !

Duo_R

Thanks, love your website. Here are some requests:

Blue Blink - Omake (hi-res manual scan)
PC Genjin 2 - Omake - (hi-res manual scan)
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball
S.C.I. - Special Criminal Investigation

No rush on any of these, but those are my asks. =)

Oh and I missed the ad, that is awesome! Enjoy Hudson!

Quote from: lkermel on 01/17/2011, 10:37 PMYou're welcome mate ! I've also sneaked in a Japanese ad I had in the Omake section, I'm sure you've already found it. Don't hesitate to let me know if there're any other manuals you're looking for :)

New review and manual:

Galaxy Deka Gayvan - PC Engine

Yo !

NecroPhile

The link on Sapphire's page to the bootleg debunker at superpcenginegrafx is broken, as the site has moved from a .com to a .net address.  :wink:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

Cool review. I love the CD art with the galaxy print. Very nice.

Oh, and there's only one thing I spotted:

- The power-suits allow them to deal a lot more damage and also grant then (them) new fighting abilities, such as the super-speed dash or the lightning-bolt punch.

Just a minor typo.  :)
IMG

lkermel

Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been working on the Famicom section but more PCE game should come soom.

@ ceti alpha
Thanks mate, I'll fix that typo asap ! I quite like the Galaxy art too :)

@ Necromancer
Thanks ! I'm glad to see that superpcenginegrafx is back ! I'll fix all the links.

@ Duo_R
No problem, I've added the games to my to-do list. I have a bunch of titles to update first but I'll get to those soon.

lkermel

Tornados

I just found all of these manuals and i must say you are doing an amazing job, thanks so much!

PS: Do you have a scan of the pc-engine system manual /user guide, I had it, but sadly it mysteriously dissapeared... :)

lkermel

Thanks Tornados :) - I most probably have the PC Engine system manual somewhere, I'll have to dig this out (sadly, most of my collection is not currently with me). But I'll scan it as soon as I find it.

New update and manual:

Deep Blue - PC Engine

_Paul

Quote from: lkermel on 03/07/2011, 01:25 PMThanks Tornados :) - I most probably have the PC Engine system manual somewhere, I'll have to dig this out (sadly, most of my collection is not currently with me). But I'll scan it as soon as I find it.
I've just been chatting to someone on email about the very same thing. It would be great if you could put one up somewhere - I'm going to add the Duo-RX manual to my site soon.