10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Camp California

Started by ShinobiMan, 09/17/2010, 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinobiMan

CampCaliforniaCover.jpg

Does anyone actually like this game? I remember, even as a kid, I was appalled by it's clunky gameplay and horribly designed characters. The game looks like a badly animated Public Service Announcement, the kind you'd see on saturday morning during commercial breaks.

Love me some Beach Boys music, but that only sickens the concept of this game. Maybe I'm missing something. Does the game get better as you progress? I never gave it the time of day.

NecroPhile

Bah, you don't know what you're talking about.  :P

Camp California is a pretty good game.  Admittedly, the controls are clunky and it could really use a save feature, but there's a lot more pluses than negatives here: the journey is nice and long (which is why a save feature would be welcome), the tunes are rather catchy, the backgrounds are nicely varied and colorful, the difficultly level is just about right (neither frustrating or a cakewalk), and the different characters' abilities give it a little extra replay value.  Who knows, you might actually like it if you tried it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

Quote from: ShinobiMan on 09/17/2010, 10:42 AMIMG

Does anyone actually like this game? I remember, even as a kid, I was appalled by it's clunky gameplay and horribly designed characters. The game looks like a badly animated Public Service Announcement, the kind you'd see on saturday morning during commercial breaks.

Love me some Beach Boys music, but that only sickens the concept of this game. Maybe I'm missing something. Does the game get better as you progress? I never gave it the time of day.
What the hell? CC is an underrated gem in the Turbo's library... It's a great game in almost every way. I've never had a problem with the controls, and the cast of playable characters and length of the journey make for good replay value.Here's a fair review by my good brother IvaNEC.

~ CAMP CALIFORNIA ~
ICOM Simulations / TTI
Super CD-ROM

Never in a million years did I think I'd end up enjoying Camp California. Goofy animal characters... sunny days at the beach... crappy tunes like "Good Vibrations"... it all sounded rather hellish to me.

I tend to prefer games that aren't as lighthearted or as Beach Boys plagued as CC is--games like, say, Shape Shifter. So it came as no small surprise when my open-minded brother Alexei told me that Camp California is reminiscent of SS in a number of ways, from how certain characters control to the usage of identical sound effects (indeed, Alexei's hunch that many of the men who made up the CC production team had also been members of the SS design crew proved correct). Upon receiving this news, I promptly purchased the game and gave it a go...

...and lo and behold, I was quite happy with what CC had to offer. I expected the graphics to be good, as I'd already seen some of the wonderfully colorful backgrounds and enormous sprites in screenshots. But the controls functioned much better than I'd anticipated; and while the vocal numbers are awful, the in-level tunes are actually very catchy and usually give way to badass riff-driven tracks when you reach the final area of a given stage. And the journey CC sends you on is not some simple jaunt on the beach; you get to visit plenty of different locations, many of which are anything but "cheery."

Some of those locations require that you make use of skills exclusive to particular characters: one guy can fly, one can swim, and one can tornado his way through enemy lines. While I wasn't looking forward to meeting this silly-seeming animal crew, I actually had a lot of fun putting their many interesting abilities to good use.

You have to rescue your abducted buddies before you can utilize their talents, however. And the path you need to travel isn't immediately obvious; you have to tour the area in your ol' jalopy and do a little experimenting in order to figure out the correct route to take.

You can't cruise around endlessly, however, as you have only so much fuel to burn. But if you put some time into exploring the surprisingly large levels, you can find lots of secret items, including recyclable objects that can be converted into gas.

Of course, you'll run into some tough (and very odd) villains who won't allow you to roam around at your leisure.

The characters, visuals, stage tunes, and exploration elements all work in CC's favor, but I can't pretend that the game is flawless. Yes, it plays much better than I thought it would, but the controls are far from perfect. And when you take hits due to those controls, you'll have to endure annoying screams of "Bogus!" or "Bummer!" from the otherwise likable characters. Also, it can be frustrating to march halfway through a long level only to realize the character you picked isn't cut out for the job at hand. And while the length of the quest is a positive, the absence of a save feature is not. You may end up traveling quite a long way only for real life to intervene and force you to abandon your console, leaving you no choice but to resume play from the very beginning when you return to the game.

But Camp California succeeds in so many areas that it shouldn't be very difficult for players who give it a fair chance to look past its issues and enjoy it.

Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Arkhan Asylum

I like the Beach Boys, I like colorful obnoxious nonsense, and I like punching shit with a totally rad bear in sunglasses.

So I like Camp California.  :)

It is a fun game, and I like to think of it as what would happen if Skate or Die 2 and the classic Disney characters were smashed together into a game.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ccovell

I liked certain aspects of it (the graphics, music, variety), but it has its problems like any US-developed platformer (play control, level design, learning curve, etc, etc x10.)

I did a "method" review of it here:  https://www.chrismcovell.com/campcalifornia/index.html  (as I've posted before.)campcal1.png IMG

TheClash603

I love this game!

Great graphics, awesome music (even the non-Beach Boys stuff), long game, hilarious voices and cut-scenes.

In fairness, the control can suck, and sometimes it can be confusing figuring out what to do next; but overall this is a blast to play.  Of all the Turbo games I showed to my friends, this is the one that is most discussed.

ShinobiMan

Interesting... I'm surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response. I'm going to have to give this one a fair chance. Afterwards I'll tell you what I think.