10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

TurboPad / TurboTap and misc pad retail prices

Started by CrackTiger, 05/02/2011, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Does anyone remember or have early price listings for the TurboPad, TurboTap and other controllers from the same period, particularly stock Genesis pads?

The way that I remember it, the price of a TurboPad + TurboTap was comparable to the price of a first party Genesis or NES controller.

I believe that the TurboPad was $29.99 and the TurboTap $24.99 (or vice versa) most places in Canada, but it's been 20 years so my memory is kinda foggy. :P

I remember buying a couple terrible NES controllers because they were only $30 - $40 and it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/02/2011, 08:48 PMDoes anyone remember or have early price listings for the TurboPad, TurboTap and other controllers from the same period, particularly stock Genesis pads?

The way that I remember it, the price of a TurboPad + TurboTap was comparable to the price of a first party Genesis or NES controller.

I believe that the TurboPad was $29.99 and the TurboTap $24.99 (or vice versa) most places in Canada, but it's been 20 years so my memory is kinda foggy. :P

I remember buying a couple terrible NES controllers because they were only $30 - $40 and it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.
They were 19.99 US each from what I recall. I had to replace several turbo pads because those giant pins in the connector would bend or snap off. Once the Duo came out I didn't have that problem anymore with the better PCE connectors.
--DragonmasterDan

guyjin

According to TurboGrafx-16 and TurboExpress Secrets Volume 2 by Andy Eddy and Donn Nauert, 1992*, pp 238-239:

TurboGrafx-CD Player($299.99)
TurboBooster($34.99)
TurboBooster-Plus($59.99)  
TurboTap($19.99)
TurboPad($19.99)
TurboStick($44.99)
TurboExpress($299.99)
TurboVision TV Tuner($99.99)**
TurboExpress Communication Cable($21.99)
TurboExpress AC Adapter($29.99)
TurboExpress Car Adapter(39.99)

*: the copyright page also mentions 1990, so it's possible this is a reprint, or maybe that's just when volume 1 was produced. copyright pages in books are confusing.

**: a previous owner wrote 64.44. I should also note he highlighted every item except the CD player, Turbo Tap, and com cable.

CrackTiger

Awesome. Anyone remember or have any kind of listing for Genesis or NES pads? I couldn't find anything through google and the few boxed Genesis pads on eBay don't have price stickers on them (neither does the one that I own).

My TurboBooster box has a $54.99 from Radio Shack. :) So the Canadian pricing seems to be consistently around 1.5 times the U.S. retail prices.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 05/02/2011, 09:32 PMAwesome. Anyone remember or have any kind of listing for Genesis or NES pads?
Do your own freaking research! IMG

I looked in my copy of Awesome Super Nintendo Secrets 3, but it doesn't have a price list in the back. :wink:

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/02/2011, 09:32 PMAwesome. Anyone remember or have any kind of listing for Genesis or NES pads? I couldn't find anything through google and the few boxed Genesis pads on eBay don't have price stickers on them (neither does the one that I own).

My TurboBooster box has a $54.99 from Radio Shack. :) So the Canadian pricing seems to be consistently around 1.5 times the U.S. retail prices.
NES and Genesis pads were also 19.99 each. Obviously third party pads varied in price. The Genesis 6 button controller might have been 24.99 initially as well.
--DragonmasterDan