RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allyourblood

Thanks very much for the welcome, folks!

Yeah, Ninja Spirit is the jam. I'll play that one about once or twice a year. It's an excellent arcade conversion.

Just got done playing even more Blazing Lazers. Can't get enough of this game. The first half is deceptively easy; almost lulls me into a false sense of confidence before the latter half ramps up the difficulty. In spite of this, I still think the game has a very smooth increase in difficulty and the early levels make the game welcoming for new shooter fans, or those of us who generally stink at them (like me!).
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

thrush

I played R-Type for a while today.  I, too, have never been good at shooters but I do enjoy them.

allyourblood

Quote from: thrush on 08/31/2011, 11:31 AMI played R-Type for a while today.  I, too, have never been good at shooters but I do enjoy them.
Yeah, they're likely my favorite genre, but I'm pretty awful at almost all of them. I can hold my own at Ikaruga pretty well, which I'm quite proud of, and I'm decent at the Thunderforce series, but that's about it. Doesn't stop me from liking them though. I think mostly, I'm just not willing to put in the time to get great at any one game. I get too excited to play something else. Blazing Lazers is really coming along nicely though. Hope to complete it soon.

Also, just got Chew Man Fu in the mail today. I never owned this one back in the day, and it's mostly awesome. Fun little puzzle game concept that I haven't really seen anywhere else. Gonna see if my wife will play this with me later tonight.

Where is fancy bred?

allyourblood

I got Doraemon Meikyu (Cratermaze), and Peach Boy Katsugeki today. My original copy of Cratermaze has yet to be replaced, so I bought this one for fun while I wait for a reasonably-priced copy. It's just as fun as the US version and I like to see the different characters.

Now, as far I can tell from playing for about an hour, Peach Boy Katsugeki is pretty rad. In terms of gameplay, it's somewhat similar to Zelda II on the NES. However, I didn't realize just how much Japanese text there would be, and it's hindering my progress a little. Eventually, I'll be able to figure most things out from trial and error, like how pausing the game and choosing the second option grants me various amounts of additional HP (but why?). But I can't figure out at all what people are telling me in the town, so I sadly must pass them by and only use the "stores".

I do love that you can upgrade your weapon and the graphics are really nice -- super colorful like always, and the "demons" look hilarious. I also like that you can land on just about anyone's head and ride around on them, like in Doki Doki Panic/SMB 2. The jumping could be a little better, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

If any of you have this game and could translate or fill me in a little better, I'd be really grateful. I'm still gonna keep at it and figure out as much as I can. It's a really cool game and doesn't cost much at all.

Where is fancy bred?

LedRush

I have been playing R-Type.  Man that game is hard, and I am horrible at shooters.  Still looks good, though.

Dyna138

Quote from: allyourblood on 09/01/2011, 05:52 PMNow, as far I can tell from playing for about an hour, Peach Boy Katsugeki is pretty rad. In terms of gameplay, it's somewhat similar to Zelda II on the NES.
I've never played the game before, but this part has got me interested. Like Zelda II? I must investigate...

allyourblood

Quote from: Dyna138 on 09/02/2011, 10:43 AMI've never played the game before, but this part has got me interested. Like Zelda II? I must investigate...
Don't take that to mean they're very close, at all. There's no free-roaming overhead map and thus, none of Zelda II's semi-random overhead battle encounters, no magic (at least, that I can see so far!)... it's just the first game comparison I thought of, since both feature a sword (that shoots) and side-scrolling platforming. You can also increase your HP, upgrade your sword (oops, I guess I mentioned both of those already), and shop and talk to townsfolk. The overall vibe, thus far, just kinda reminds me of Zelda II. But on its own, it's still a really fun game so far.

I guess it's actually closer to a Wonder Boy game. It's cheap -- pick it up when you can.

Where is fancy bred?

Dyna138

Quote from: allyourblood on 09/02/2011, 11:28 AMDon't take that to mean they're very close, at all. There's no free-roaming overhead map and thus, none of Zelda II's semi-random overhead battle encounters, no magic (at least, that I can see so far!)... it's just the first game comparison I thought of, since both feature a sword (that shoots) and side-scrolling platforming. You can also increase your HP, upgrade your sword (oops, I guess I mentioned both of those already), and shop and talk to townsfolk. The overall vibe, thus far, just kinda reminds me of Zelda II. But on its own, it's still a really fun game so far.

I guess it's actually closer to a Wonder Boy game. It's cheap -- pick it up when you can.
I'm a big Wonder Boy fan and of action/adventure/platforming/rpg hybrids in general so it sounds like my kind of game. Zelda II is a very unique and IMO very underrated, there aren't many games quite like it.

Back to Katsugeki though I can't seem to find any info about it anywhere. It must be really obscure or I'm looking it up wrong.

allyourblood

Quote from: Dyna138 on 09/02/2011, 09:25 PM
Quote from: allyourblood on 09/02/2011, 11:28 AMDon't take that to mean they're very close, at all. There's no free-roaming overhead map and thus, none of Zelda II's semi-random overhead battle encounters, no magic (at least, that I can see so far!)... it's just the first game comparison I thought of, since both feature a sword (that shoots) and side-scrolling platforming. You can also increase your HP, upgrade your sword (oops, I guess I mentioned both of those already), and shop and talk to townsfolk. The overall vibe, thus far, just kinda reminds me of Zelda II. But on its own, it's still a really fun game so far.

I'm a big Wonder Boy fan and of action/adventure/platforming/rpg hybrids in general so it sounds like my kind of game. Zelda II is a very unique and IMO very underrated, there aren't many games quite like it.

Back to Katsugeki though I can't seem to find any info about it anywhere. It must be really obscure or I'm looking it up wrong.
Here's some gameplay footage:
And here's a decent review/write-up: http://gamingafter40.blogspot.com/2010/07/of-import-momotarou-katsugeki.html

Where is fancy bred?

PunkCryborg

allyourblood - welcome to the forum! Dont give up on Blazing Lazers and make sure you post your score once you beat it in the High Scores thread!

allyourblood

Quote from: elabit on 09/03/2011, 04:05 PMallyourblood - welcome to the forum! Dont give up on Blazing Lazers and make sure you post your score once you beat it in the High Scores thread!
Thanks! Yeah, made it all the way to Area 7 on my first life yesterday and then promptly dumped every single one on Area 8. But it shouldn't be long. I'll be sure to post my score when I complete it. Awesome, awesome shooter. I adore the music, too!

Where is fancy bred?

djolof

Hi all, new to the forum. Long-time owner (Christmas of 1990) and am happy to stumble upon this! Currently playing Neo-Nectaris.... many wasted hours to go, I'm sure.

thesteve

PunkCryborg

thrush

Just reached the final area in Cosmic Fantasy 2.  I am so hyped!

Mishran

Quote from: thrush on 09/03/2011, 11:08 PMJust reached the final area in Cosmic Fantasy 2.  I am so hyped!
Heh, same here. I'm leveling up to prepare to take on the end boss... Should have him pwned tomorrow.

PunkCryborg

Played some Star Parodier and Alzadick tonight!

thesteve

in CF2 the final guy beats you the first several times you find him.
its not endgame till Laura gives you something.

Im playing ZENKI  <-its not a fighting game

Mishran

CF2 complete! Gonna give my Duo a break and play some Riot Zone tomorrow.

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

thesteve

still playing ZENKI.
that car keeps killin me.

Dyna138

Been working on finishing Bravoman. It's a nice little platformer that seems to get more fun each time I play it.

allyourblood

Quote from: Dyna138 on 09/04/2011, 11:26 PMBeen working on finishing Bravoman. It's a nice little platformer that seems to get more fun each time I play it.
Ya know, I've been thinking that too. I never paid it much mind, but it's pretty fun, in a mindless, silly sort of way. It's certainly leagues better than I remember it being the last time I played it.

Where is fancy bred?

CGQuarterly

Ive been playing Time Cruise and Military Madness.

Chris

PunkCryborg

Im either playing NEXZR or it's playing me

thesteve

Dyna138

Quote from: allyourblood on 09/05/2011, 12:53 AMYa know, I've been thinking that too. I never paid it much mind, but it's pretty fun, in a mindless, silly sort of way. It's certainly leagues better than I remember it being the last time I played it.
Yeah I just completed it today. I didn't think much of it at first, but it gets better after the first few levels. The silly dialogue and cartoon style along with the gimmick of Bravoman extending his arm, legs and head(!) to attack elevate the game beyond average.

The ending is pretty funny, Dr. Bomb has my vote for most hilarious villain.

csgx1

Just finished both S.C.I. and Knight rider Special.

roflmao

Played a good chunk of Monster Lair and Star Parodier this evening.  It was a fun night.

Lilgrafx

Got my ass kicked by R-type tonight

geise

Actually played some Keith Courage today after work.  It has been over a decade since I beat it.  I didn't beat it after work though.  So it's still over a decade. :lol:

Gogan

Dragons Curse. Actually kinda stuck right now. I'm piranha man and need the armor that repels lava. I go into the store that has it while being equipped with Mithrill armore but I still can't buy it. Wtf, any help?
Nothin beats the real thing.

Gogan

hoobs88

Quote from: Gogan on 09/08/2011, 11:26 AMDragons Curse. Actually kinda stuck right now. I'm piranha man and need the armor that repels lava. I go into the store that has it while being equipped with Mithrill armore but I still can't buy it. Wtf, any help?
I got stuck there too my first time playing Dragon's Curse. I don't remember what I did but I'll try to play through it again this weekend and give you some advice.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

thrush

Still at the end of Cosmic Fantasy 2 as I've been too swamped with work & school to be able to concentrate on a game like that in the evenings.  Instead, I've been playing Pac Land!  That game is ridiculously cute: I love the ghosts in the cars.  ^-^

farankoshan

"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

djolof

Just beat 'Legend of Hero Tonma'- all in all a good time. Underrated, perhaps. Anyone else play this game recently?.. not a game I hear a lot of talk about...

nat

Legend of Hero Tonma is definitely a good game. Nice graphical design and the trademark IREM "tinkle" in the audio.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Sadler

Quote from: djolof on 09/08/2011, 08:14 PMJust beat 'Legend of Hero Tonma'- all in all a good time. Underrated, perhaps. Anyone else play this game recently?.. not a game I hear a lot of talk about...
I'd love to play it! I've had trouble finding a copy. :(

Gogan

Thanks hoobs, I figured it out ystrdy, I jus started over. I think I forgot to pick up other essential armor as mouseman (shogun shield/blade mayb). Either way, Im well on my way

I'd recommend dragons curse to anybody, great game.

Mishran

Tricky Kick. Really not a terrible game, it really requires some thinking. For me at least...  8-[

geise

Even though I got my mvs mv1-fz board I found time to sit and play some Sidearms US HU.  Still love that game.  I have yet to play Sidearms special though.  Funny I haven't bothered with the Cd version. :-k

nat

Quote from: Mishran on 09/09/2011, 09:59 AMTricky Kick. Really not a terrible game, it really requires some thinking. For me at least...  8-[
"Terrible" and "Tricky Kick" shouldn't even be together in the same sentence. OK, I know they weren't, but shouldn't be in adjacent sentences either.

Tricky Kick is a great game, with a killer soundtrack. Puts other games in this genre to shame (Boxyboy et al).

Who doesn't want to have a little fun at BIFF'S BIRTHDAY?
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Ceti Alpha

Visiting the fams this weekend, so I'm away from the Turbob. I do, however, have my emumachine, so I'll be playing some Bonk.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

roflmao

Spriggan and Galaga '90 arrived in the mail today so I've been playing them.  I had never played Galaga '90 before today and I absolutely love it!

I think I've already mentioned in another post that Spriggan is pretty much my favorite shooter so I'm all sorts of happy to have it back in my library again.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 09/10/2011, 05:01 PMSpriggan and Galaga '90 arrived in the mail today so I've been playing them.  I had never played Galaga '90 before today and I absolutely love it!

I think I've already mentioned in another post that Spriggan is pretty much my favorite shooter so I'm all sorts of happy to have it back in my library again.
Damn! Those are two classics. Galaga '90 is great fun. Remember to pick up the capsules for warping to Halifax.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

DragonmasterDan

I finally got to play Final Soldier!
--DragonmasterDan

allyourblood

Played some more Bravoman and Cyber Core today. Bravoman is beginning to grow on me, but the size of the sprites coupled with the constant screen scrolling makes the game more difficult than need be. I find myself dropping into areas without any time to dodge enemies. Some of the hits seem kinda cheap too. Still, the guy's moveset is pretty cool for a straight, 2D side scroller and the wackiness simply never gets old. "Bravoman, would you like to eat?"

Cyber Core is also becoming more fun with each new game. That hitbox still seems pretty big, but being able to speed up on the fly helps a lot (I'm okay at level 3 speed, but 4 is almost uncontrollable for me!).

I have a pretty decent amount of US games coming in the mail soon, and I'll post here as those come in. My collection is growing pretty fast, but I'm mostly buying up inexpensive, mediocre titles right now. It's funny (or sad) that 80% of the TG16 HuCard library can be picked up for a "reasonable" amount, and then you pay more than double that just to nab that last 20%. I'm rocketing toward completing the 80% right now.

Where is fancy bred?

thesteve

dragon spirit.........i just had to

Tatsujin

Quote from: thesteve on 09/10/2011, 11:07 PMdragon spirit.........i just had to
And what is your advisory opinion?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..