@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilgrafx

Quote from: munchiaz on 09/29/2011, 03:06 PM
Quote from: thrush on 09/29/2011, 02:52 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/28/2011, 10:30 PMI've decided to sit down and beat my first Castlevania game and I chose Castlevania IV. This game is amazing.
I wholeheartedly support that decision!  ^_^b  Castlevania 4 is not my favourite in the series, but I have several friends who swear by it!
love castlevania 4. the 8 way whipping is so much fun.
Hahaha  I know I love just holding down the button and flinging the whip.

munchiaz

^good times. so last night i beat this game. Pretty awesome game
IMG

Mathius

munchiaz

^ its axelay for the SNES

DragonmasterDan

I've been playing a bit of Outrun: Online Arcade. It's a blast
--DragonmasterDan

Lilgrafx

I'm on level 8 in Dracula's Castle, wish me luck.

Mathius

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 10/01/2011, 09:14 PMI'm on level 8 in Dracula's Castle, wish me luck.
You'll need it.

Played and beat Thunder Force III tonight finally clearing it for the first time. With all the hardcore shooters I have been playing lately I was able to cut right through the game with ease. Gate of Thunder is definitely the harder shooter as I have yet to clear it.

thrush

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 10/01/2011, 09:14 PMI'm on level 8 in Dracula's Castle, wish me luck.
Good luck!
But, I beat it, so I'm sure you can.  ^_^v

Lilgrafx

Beat level 8 in casstlevania IV! this games got great music and the perfect amount of challenge.

Also beat Bubble bobble mini for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Now I need to get Sonic Pocket Adventure and Metal Slug 1st Mission

roflmao

I recently rearranged my 8- and 16-bit systems so the NES, SNES, GENESIS and TURBOGRAFX-16 systems (+ others) were hooked up to my 27" tube TV.  Previously I had a couple of those systems hooked up to the big-ass LCD in the living room, but they never looked right.  So since everything is now being displayed properly on a tube TV, I went ahead and calibrated the TV again and went to town on old-school gaming goodness.

So to test the new setup, I played:

NES: Blaster Master, Gradius, Galaga
Genesis: Steel Empire, Castle of Illusion
SNES: Mega Man X, Gradius III, Pop'n Twin Bee, F-Zero
TG-16: Galaga '90, OotG (since I put in OotG I really haven't played anything else)

roflmao

I beat Raiden Trad on the SNES today (... on easy :oops:).  I know it's not the greatest shmup evar, but I enjoyed playing through it.  Now I'd like to hunt down a copy for our beloved system. :)

MotherGunner

Been having a hankering for some Mickey's Mousecapade...especially since I hear there may be a new one coming after almost a couple of decades.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

JoshTurboTrollX

swigged a few hours of Beneath the Steel Sky (ScummVM) on the ole lappy last night before and between awesome Brewer and Packer games!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/10/2011, 10:01 AMswigged a few hours of Beneath the Steel Sky (ScummVM) on the ole lappy last night before and between awesome Brewer and Packer games!!
I downloaded that from GOG a while back. Great game, and to make things even better it's a free download!

Here is a HG101 article for those in the dark:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bass/bass.htm

And here is the download:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Mathius on 10/10/2011, 11:25 AM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/10/2011, 10:01 AMswigged a few hours of Beneath the Steel Sky (ScummVM) on the ole lappy last night before and between awesome Brewer and Packer games!!
I downloaded that from GOG a while back. Great game, and to make things even better it's a free download!

Here is a HG101 article for those in the dark:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bass/bass.htm

And here is the download:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky
Yea, it's really killer so far.  It plays like Loom and feels like the original Fallout.  I've heard of ScummVM a while back and never really thought too much of it.  That was until I tried it.  Just amazing!  Access to a crapload of great oldschool point and click adventure games!!

Brilliant!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

thrush

Still grinding my way through Fire Emblem; it is a lot of fun, but so far much easier than expected.  Kinda wondering if I should start over on the harder difficulty setting....  The units are all very distinct, which I like.  Makes it easier for mere mortals such as myself to form coherent strategies.

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/09/2011, 10:41 PMBeen having a hankering for some Mickey's Mousecapade...especially since I hear there may be a new one coming after almost a couple of decades.
Still my favourite Disney game, although clearly for nostalgic reasons as there are a lot of better ones.  There's something about those bizarre, seemingly story-free old platformers that I love.

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/10/2011, 11:31 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 10/10/2011, 11:25 AMI downloaded that from GOG a while back. Great game, and to make things even better it's a free download!
Yea, it's really killer so far.  It plays like Loom and feels like the original Fallout.  I've heard of ScummVM a while back and never really thought too much of it.  That was until I tried it.  Just amazing!  Access to a crapload of great oldschool point and click adventure games!!

Brilliant!
I really miss old-school PnC adventures; of the few new ones I've tried none had the same feel.  But I still haven't played BtSS; maybe I need to download ScummVM myself.

munchiaz

Finally was able to over come the bell gargoyles in dark souls. It took about 10 times, but i finally got it, also was able to cut off the tail of the first bell gargoyle and get the gargoyle ax

Lilgrafx

Level B in CastleVania IV almost there!!

munchiaz

My brother gave this to me. was sitting in my grandmas basement for a long long time

IMG

OldMan

I got one of those. Eternal Champions and all. Box is even in about the same shape :)

roflmao

Made it a good chunk of the way through Stage 7 (the bubble stage) in Parodius for the Super Famicom.  It's a personal best, but I'm hoping to beat it one of these days. :)

TR0N

PS3
Dark Souls Got it finally i started with the warrior class.

Genesis
Castlevania Bloodlines
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Lilgrafx

CASTLEVANIA IV BEATEN!!!! Been at it for a few hours but I did it! I love the feeling you get after beating a hard final boss like that.  :D :dance:

allyourblood

Picked up Duke Nukem at a yard sale today for $3. Figured it was worth a try. It's not the worst FPS I've played in recent history, but you can definitely tell they've been working on this game for 12 years. I got a real bad bout of motion sickness about an hour into it, so I had to turn it off. I'll probably try to play it a bit more soon.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

roflmao

I went on a big Gradius kick today.  Played a ton of the PC Engine version of Gradius II and the SNES version of Gradius III.  In both games I made it farther than I have in the past. 

In Gradius II I made it to the boss spaceship that shoots out missiles then shoots out a big blue laser.  I wasn't expecting the laser so that killed me and it was pretty much game over after that. 

In Gradius III I finally beat the third level boss!  The fourth level boss was a cakewalk.  Then level five beat me down.  Then it pointed and laughed at me.

BlueBMW

Spent all of Sunday afternoon raising chocobos in FF7.  Never in any of my playthroughs have I bothered to try and get a Gold Chocobo, this time through it'll be different!  Here's how far I got...

Meet Turbo and Grafx.... which hopefully when put together will make a black one I can name Turbo Duo

/FF7ChocoTurbo.jpg
/FF7ChocoGrafx.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

Yesterday I popped in Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES and gave it some quality time.  I've started it up a few times in the past but it never really caught, but yesterday it really sucked me in.  I've collected the first pendant and am trying to figure out how to get the next one.  I just got the gloves that lets me pick up rocks so I figure that will let me find an opening to reach the next pendant.

Also played a couple PS1 games this morning: Raiden Project and Parappa the Rapper.  I haven't played either in ages and enjoyed both!

Oh, and I just beat Ys Book I for the trusty TG-16 (again)!  Now I'm going to have to divide my time between Ys Book II and A Link to the Past...

bartre

Playing Ys books I&II, No More Heroes PS3, and just starting in on Demon's Souls, kinda infuriating...

finerion

Tackling Lego Battles on the DS right now for some portable gaming. For consoles I'm still making my way through Sega Genesis games for my challenge videos and trying to finally hit level 70 in CoD: MW2 before MW3 comes out. I just got Brink in the mail earlier this week and have gotten a couple of levels under my belt so far.
Check out new episodes of The Alfred Effect.

Lilgrafx

Beat Sonic Pocket adventure in two days, a little to easy with the level select code. Usually I'm all about saves and infinite continues but the game just went by too quick. Still really enjoyed it. I'll probably pick up Metal Slug or Dark Arms for my next Neo Geo Pocket game.

roflmao

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 10/20/2011, 09:52 PMBeat Sonic Pocket adventure in two days, a little to easy with the level select code. Usually I'm all about saves and infinite continues but the game just went by too quick. Still really enjoyed it. I'll probably pick up Metal Slug or Dark Arms for my next Neo Geo Pocket game. 
Nice!  I played a little Sonic Pocket this morning (...and I still suck at it.  Level 7 is where I'm currently stuck). And I played a little Metal Slug on the NGPC last night.  I don't know how far into that one I am, but it's probably not very far.  Last night I made it past the section where your plane is shot out of the air and you have to skydive/parachute without being shot.  It took a lot of continues to get past that spot!

roflmao

I've been playing way too much Spyro the Dragon for the PS1 over the past couple of days.  Man it's been ages since I last played this game and I had forgotten how much fun it is!  It doesn't hurt that my 3yr old son is equally hooked to it. :D

Until recently I wasn't able to play PS1 games on my PS2.  I have component cables (for the handful of PS2 games I own that support 480p/720p) and ever since I started using them, PS1 games would display an "Unsupported Format" type of error message on my TV.  Well not too long ago I upgraded my home theater receiver to one that upconverts everything to 1080p (by default, but I can turn it off on a per-source basis) and sends everything out to my TV via a single HDMI cable.  And poof! Now, I can play PS1 games on the PS2, and they look amazing!  I hate to admit it, but I think they look better than my PS1 hooked up to my tube TV via S-video (though that still looks pretty good).

munchiaz

Sens fortress is pissing me off so much in dark souls. I got all the way to the bonfire area and some giant golem  threw a bomb at me.

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2011, 12:22 AMUntil recently I wasn't able to play PS1 games on my PS2.  I have component cables (for the handful of PS2 games I own that support 480p/720p) and ever since I started using them, PS1 games would display an "Unsupported Format" type of error message on my TV.  Well not too long ago I upgraded my home theater receiver to one that upconverts everything to 1080p (by default, but I can turn it off on a per-source basis) and sends everything out to my TV via a single HDMI cable.  And poof! Now, I can play PS1 games on the PS2, and they look amazing!  I hate to admit it, but I think they look better than my PS1 hooked up to my tube TV via S-video (though that still looks pretty good).
I've never had much luck trying to play PS1 games on an HDTV.  I tried playing them via a PS1 over composite and s-video... awful.  Then I tried the PS2 over component and turned on smoothing or whatever in the PS2... still bleh on some games.  Finally I ran composite from the PS2 and tried some different modes on the TV and finally got it to look playable.  The game in question was FF7, for some reason the background textures (during battles and whatever) just looked horrendous and had lines etc in it.  So annoying :P
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2011, 10:18 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 10/20/2011, 09:52 PMBeat Sonic Pocket adventure in two days, a little to easy with the level select code. Usually I'm all about saves and infinite continues but the game just went by too quick. Still really enjoyed it. I'll probably pick up Metal Slug or Dark Arms for my next Neo Geo Pocket game. 
Nice!  I played a little Sonic Pocket this morning (...and I still suck at it.  Level 7 is where I'm currently stuck). And I played a little Metal Slug on the NGPC last night.  I don't know how far into that one I am, but it's probably not very far.  Last night I made it past the section where your plane is shot out of the air and you have to skydive/parachute without being shot.  It took a lot of continues to get past that spot!
Are you talking about the water stage? I died a few times there but the airbase stage after that is a pain.  Which game would you recommend Dark Arms or Metal Slug?

roflmao

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/22/2011, 09:06 AMI've never had much luck trying to play PS1 games on an HDTV.  I tried playing them via a PS1 over composite and s-video... awful.  Then I tried the PS2 over component and turned on smoothing or whatever in the PS2... still bleh on some games.  Finally I ran composite from the PS2 and tried some different modes on the TV and finally got it to look playable.  The game in question was FF7, for some reason the background textures (during battles and whatever) just looked horrendous and had lines etc in it.  So annoying :P
Well I haven't tried playing anything on the PS1 that's as graphically detailed as FFVII, but I have Legend of Dragoon on the way which is probably close.  Parappa, Spyro and Jumping Flash 2 look pretty good on the HDTV, but I don't think those games attempt to be as graphically impressive as the FF games.  They have simpler textures and lower polycount models, imo.

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 10/22/2011, 10:29 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/20/2011, 10:18 PMNice!  I played a little Sonic Pocket this morning (...and I still suck at it.  Level 7 is where I'm currently stuck). And I played a little Metal Slug on the NGPC last night.  I don't know how far into that one I am, but it's probably not very far.  Last night I made it past the section where your plane is shot out of the air and you have to skydive/parachute without being shot.  It took a lot of continues to get past that spot!
Are you talking about the water stage? I died a few times there but the airbase stage after that is a pain.  Which game would you recommend Dark Arms or Metal Slug? 
Yeah, I'm not really too sure where I was in the game. :)  I hadn't played it in ages (probably years) and turned it on on a whim and pressed continue.  My character had to skydive, timing a button press to open his parachute before plummeting to the ground, and at the same time moving all over the screen to avoid being shot down by some unseen gunfire.  Once I made it past that level, I moved on to an area that had a lot of elevators and doors that lead to other sections of the level.  Lots of tanks and baddies.  I find it really hard to play that game on the NGPC, because I have to hold the console "just right".  If I move it around too much while playing either I get a ton of glare for the lights in the room, or I can't see what's going on due to the relative small viewing angle.  And I never got good with the little joypad.  I find it's way to easy to press a diagonal direction when I really just want to move left or right.  I have Pac Man for the NGPC and it's frustrating.

finerion

I've been making some pretty steady progress in Lego Battles lately and have started in on Last Remnant and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic both on my PC. I'm still plugging away at Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer trying to hit level 70 before the sequel releases (I'm at 68 now as of last night).
Check out new episodes of The Alfred Effect.

BlueBMW

Played some Soul Calibur on the arcade cab... the arcade version is definitely inferior to the DC version, but awesome none the less!  Now to just wired up the 4th button so I can block hehe.

roflmao

Quote from: finerion on 10/24/2011, 10:49 AMI've been making some pretty steady progress in Lego Battles lately and have started in on Last Remnant and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic both on my PC. I'm still plugging away at Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer trying to hit level 70 before the sequel releases (I'm at 68 now as of last night).
I picked up Star Wars KotoR back when it was released for the Xbox and loved it.  Played through it all the way with both a light and dark character.  And started it a few times, but probably never got more than halfway through with those characters.  Then I got it for the PC when it was on sale through Steam for $2.50 and couldn't get past the first world.  I don't know if it's the graphics (extremely dated on a modern PC) or if it's because Bioware has since come out with the Mass Effect series, which is VASTLY superior IMO (I'm currently playing through ME2 and it's AWESOME!), but KotoR just isn't holding my interest the way it once did.  Which is too bad because I LOVED playing through it twice  and most RPGs I play through (console or PC) don't keep me interested enough to finish even once.

geise

For some reason I played some Super R-Type.  It's still a pretty decent shooter for a 1st gen SNES/SFC game.  Now I need to pick up R-Type Leo on PCB for a non sell kidney price.

chany60126

blueraven

chany60126

Quote from: blueraven on 10/26/2011, 04:45 PM
Quote from: chany60126 on 10/26/2011, 01:29 PMBeen playing Yo! Noid.
Oh! God.
LOL :D, it's actually not a bad game once you get used to the game's quirks.

NecroPhile

Play Yo, Bro instead... wait, that's a lateral move at best.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TR0N

Quote from: munchiaz on 10/22/2011, 02:21 AMSens fortress is pissing me off so much in dark souls. I got all the way to the bonfire area and some giant golem  threw a bomb at me.
Got pass sen's fortess finally i had hard time killing in there that's untile i found the,lighting spear wich made it easier.I was able to defeat the iron golem on my second try.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

munchiaz

^ yeah i got past as well. Now im stuck in Anor Londo. havent played in a few days, been taking a lil break and playing other things.

DragonmasterDan

I spent an hour or so playing "Protect Me Knight".
--DragonmasterDan

geise

Nice Dan!  I love that game!  It's so dirt cheap and is so much fun.  Having Yuzo Koshiro do the music is an added bonus.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: geise on 10/27/2011, 09:43 AMNice Dan!  I love that game!  It's so dirt cheap and is so much fun.  Having Yuzo Koshiro do the music is an added bonus.
I really need to get a four player game of it going, the most I've had so far is two.
--DragonmasterDan

roflmao

I've been playing way more Legend of Dragoon for the PS1 than I should have these past couple of days.  I've been playing it through my PS2 hooked up to the HDTV and I think it looks awesome!  I'll have to dig out the original PS1 and hook it up to my tube TV one of these days to make a comparison.  I think I even have s-video cables floating around here somewhere...