What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: Sadler on 12/23/2011, 10:23 PMSpace Invaders—OK, I have to admit that I'm a long time fan of this game. It was one of, if not the first video game I ever played. This version is really cool: there's an old school arcade mode that as best I can tell is the same (though I guess it's been a long time since I've played any variant of this game), and a "new" school mode where your ship has multiple hits and the graphics are better. I really like the wire frame effects!

Kaze Kiri—Another great game! The controls here are deeper than I initially realized. Up left/up right causes your character to run. Up/Down plus button I causes your character to front or back flip and it appears your character is invincible while doing so. The graphics are very good, I really like the animation. The sound effects are some of the best I've heard on the Duo. I vaguely recall reading that the game is pretty easy, but I got my ass handed to me pretty quick (third level maybe?). I need to play more of this! :D
I have had a great time with the updated Space Invaders. Nice, solid little game with cute little touches.

Kaze Kiri, on the other hand, is boring. It fails at the most fundamental level: striking/killing your opponent should be a visceral experience. Instead, it feels insubstantial—as if your opponents are damp cardboard and deflated, wrinkled balloons. I like many I the bosses on Kaze Kiri, but they are  or enough to save the game. 

For the record, Kung Fu (NES) does a better job.

OK, I'll stop ranting now ;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Sadler

Quote from: esteban on 12/23/2011, 11:35 PMI have had a great time with the updated Space Invaders. Nice, solid little game with cute little touches.

Kaze Kiri, on the other hand, is boring. It fails at the most fundamental level: striking/killing your opponent should be a visceral experience. Instead, it feels insubstantial—as if your opponents are damp cardboard and deflated, wrinkled balloons. I like many I the bosses on Kaze Kiri, but they are  or enough to save the game. 

For the record, Kung Fu (NES) does a better job.

OK, I'll stop ranting now ;)
Fair enough! :) I'm the kind of person that will tell you that Riot Zone and Vigilante are must play titles. Make the main character a ninja, add in great graphics, sound, music and improve on the gameplay and I have a hard time not loving it. :D I haven't played much of it though, I suppose my opinion could change...

roflmao

Wow, Sadler.  Looks like you've been having some fun lately!

I spent a good chunk of this morning playing Dungeon Explorer.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 12/24/2011, 12:42 AMWow, Sadler.  Looks like you've been having some fun lately!

I spent a good chunk of this morning playing Dungeon Explorer.
A friend and I sat down and played through like 6 dungeons last week, that games great multi-player.

roflmao

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 12/24/2011, 01:18 AMA friend and I sat down and played through like 6 dungeons last week, that games great multi-player.
Yeah, it's an awesome multi-player game.  It's fun single-player, but not quite as fun as multi-player.

thesteve

T2KFreeker

Yup, playing Insanity! Arrived today and I am impressed. I don't understand why anybody wouldn't like this game. Very cool. Oh, and I agree that the music is very awesome! :wink:
END OF LINE.

Damon Plus

Double Dungeons. Addicting, but I see it becoming very tedious in larger levels.

roflmao

I think I have will have the first level of Double Dungeons forever etched into my memory.  It's a great game for shot bursts - good for travelling.  The later levels have some really bizarre monsters.  I've never beat it, and doubt I ever will, but I've always enjoys it.  It's a hoot with 2 people as well.

blueraven

hoobs88

Quote from: Damon Plus on 12/24/2011, 10:08 PMDouble Dungeons. Addicting, but I see it becoming very tedious in larger levels.
I beat the game back in the 90's but the later levels take so much time that when I got all but the last letter of the password needed for the final dungeon, I decided it would be shorter to use trial & error to enter the password than to actually play through the level and earn the last letter.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

blueraven

Just rocked out on Star Parodier, Shapeshifter, Hero Tonma, and Son Son 2. It was an awesome obey day :D

Lilgrafx

Quote from: blueraven on 12/26/2011, 02:04 AMJust rocked out on Star Parodier, Shapeshifter, Hero Tonma, and Son Son 2. It was an awesome obey day :D
Is shapeshifter any good? I picked it up at a game shop but haven't gotten around to it. still trying to battle through the last crypt of Neutopia

blueraven

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 12/27/2011, 12:54 AM
Quote from: blueraven on 12/26/2011, 02:04 AMJust rocked out on Star Parodier, Shapeshifter, Hero Tonma, and Son Son 2. It was an awesome obey day :D
Is shapeshifter any good? I picked it up at a game shop but haven't gotten around to it. still trying to battle through the last crypt of Neutopia
Dude, it is so much fun. I have been playing it all day. Like Castlevania but you can morph into different creatures. Once you get through Neutopia it's recommended!

jayamine

Shapeshifter is incredibly hard. At least, it was for me. Had to pop my disc into Magic Egnine and use save states to beat it.

Finally finished Vasteel this past week, only a few decades too late. Only ones I have left are Legend of Heroes 2 and Dungeon Master. (Waiting for Mysterious Song)

Anyone want to save me the time on Theron's Quest and just feed me the ending cinematic? Does anyone have a utility that opens up the files on a TG disc?
The sequel to Splatter House should be called Circle Jerk.

roflmao

I played some Cyber Core on the Express last night.  Made it to the fourth level boss, which I thought wasn't too bad considering I was on the Express.  Now I want to play it on a TV some. :)

chany60126

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2011, 11:32 AMI played some Cyber Core on the Express last night.  Made it to the fourth level boss, which I thought wasn't too bad considering I was on the Express.  Now I want to play it on a TV some. :)
Cool rofl, Cyber Core is an underrated shmup IMHO. I play this one alot. I love the weapon power up system. Make sure to post your score in the high score thread. :)

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

roflmao

Quote from: chany60126 on 12/27/2011, 11:37 AMI love the weapon power up system. Make sure to post your score in the high score thread. :)
Good idea!  I agree, it is underrated.  Probably because it doesn't have "Soldier" in the title.  And it's pretty hard.  There can be a lot of fast moving stuff on the screen.  But at least you can take a few hits before kicking the bucket.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: blueraven on 12/27/2011, 02:27 AM
Dude, it is so much fun. I have been playing it all day. Like Castlevania but you can morph into different creatures. Once you get through Neutopia it's recommended! 
Shape Shifter is pretty underrated, sadly. The game is quite good. Not perfect, but good. It is very Castlevaniaesque, so if you like platformers like that, then Shape Shifter should be given a go. Very cool stuff going on in the game. Especially since it isn't exactly an inexpensive game, you should play it because you paid for it!
END OF LINE.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 12/27/2011, 04:58 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 12/27/2011, 02:27 AM
Shape Shifter is pretty underrated, sadly. The game is quite good. Not perfect, but good. It is very Castlevaniaesque, so if you like platformers like that, then Shape Shifter should be given a go. Very cool stuff going on in the game. Especially since it isn't exactly an inexpensive game, you should play it because you paid for it!
Don't worry T2K I play all my games I don't just buy games to put them on my shelf, but I genrally don't like to start a game until I finish the game I'm playing currently. I'm a big fan of the Castlevania games, especially number 4 on the snes so I'll probably checkout shape shifters after Neutopia

geise

Cyber Core!

roflmao

TheMilford

Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes

Just got this a few days ago.

Just made it to "Chapter 2: The Chase" this morning...

Nice turn-based RPG.

Mishran

Beat Neutopia not long ago. After a week of non-turbobing with Gears of War 3, I'm back to it with some Dungeon Explorer. Just busted up the ugly bitch with the skull face. I'm guessing it's safe to assume I'm half way through? All these years of having it, I never completed it yet. :oops:

esteban

Quote from: Mishran on 12/28/2011, 11:30 PMBeat Neutopia not long ago. After a week of non-turbobing with Gears of War 3, I'm back to it with some Dungeon Explorer. Just busted up the ugly bitch with the skull face. I'm guessing it's safe to assume I'm half way through? All these years of having it, I never completed it yet. :oops:
Not only will you complete this game and experience supreme joy, but you may unlock some characters that you forgot about/never knew about! I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that. :)

The music is splendid, as you know. One of the best soundtracks of all time, IMMHO.

blueraven

I'm playing Shapeshifter right now.

jlued686

Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:54 AMThe music is splendid, as you know. One of the best soundtracks of all time, IMMHO.
That is not opinion. That is FACT.

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 12/29/2011, 12:27 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/29/2011, 01:54 AMThe music is splendid, as you know. One of the best soundtracks of all time, IMMHO.
That is not opinion. That is FACT.
Agreed. Music really is quite good. Slowly drudging through as I just finished for the day after giving the Ora Stone to the false king. You can tell the game is meant for more than one player as it can get pretty hectic with a screen full of enemies all slamming you at one time. Quite a rush. :D

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Mishran on 12/28/2011, 11:30 PMJust busted up the ugly bitch with the skull face
Oh you must me talking about the beatiful Alexa :)

TheMilford

Having daily enjoyment playing Dragon Slayer.... slow going as I only get in about a hour or two a day.

My drive has been making some slightly more aggressive than normal noises. Is that the norm with this game?

SMF

My goal is to pick up a Turbo Xpress so I can gameat work lol. CD games for the house Hueys for work. Loving Batman tho, Awesome PC Enginegame that should have deff made it to the states.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

thesteve

still playing Image Fight (On my xpress at work)

SuperPlay

Having a blast on DeadMoon :@)  Then I think it will be Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes

Mishran

Finished Dungeon Explorer today as the fighter. Only found one extra playable character though, the Princess. Great game that truly holds well even against todays standards. Gonna run back through with a different character again at a later time hoping for something different. Currently Playing through Cratermaze again. Not a bad game, not a great one either. Still fun to play through once every few years or so... :wink:

munchiaz

played a little last alert while testing out my AV switcher. only got to the bomb stage.

esteban

Quote from: Mishran on 01/03/2012, 01:28 PMFinished Dungeon Explorer today as the fighter. Only found one extra playable character though, the Princess. Great game that truly holds well even against todays standards. Gonna run back through with a different character again at a later time hoping for something different. Currently Playing through Cratermaze again. Not a bad game, not a great one either. Still fun to play through once every few years or so... :wink:
You have to unlock the ROBOT in Dungeon Explorer. Awesomeness.

SuperPlay

Having a break from Deadmoon, seem to be going backwards LOL

Having a blast at PacLand today and I have only just realised after all of these years that you press jump multiple times it jumps further. Perhaps I should have read the manual back in 90 ;-)

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 01/04/2012, 02:54 AMYou have to unlock the ROBOT in Dungeon Explorer. Awesomeness.
Indeed (robots are always awesome), though it's a lot easier to do in Dungeon Explorer II.  Mishran should instead try finding the Harmet/Hermit/Hairnet.  :)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

I had no idea you could unlock more than just the Princess.  How does that happen?  Do you just beat the game with different characters? 

I think I've only beaten the game using the DEBDE DEBDA cheat code - does that affect unlocking characters? 

One more question... Once you've unlocked a character, I'm assuming you lose it once you turn the game off, so you'd have to play through it multiple times in one sitting?  Yeesh.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2012, 10:25 AMI had no idea you could unlock more than just the Princess.  How does that happen?
Besides the Princess, the Hermit is the only other playable character.  Start playing as the Bard and visit the Hermit's empty house (don't go before you have at least 50hp); you'll be 'challenged' (hp drained) and if you survive, you'll be transformed from a weakling hippie douche into the mighty Hermit.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

Mishran

Ripped Cadash a new one using the ninja today. Love that game!

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2012, 10:38 AMBesides the Princess, the Hermit is the only other playable character.  Start playing as the Bard and visit the Hermit's empty house (don't go before you have at least 50hp); you'll be 'challenged' (hp drained) and if you survive, you'll be transformed from a weakling hippie douche into the mighty Hermit.
Remember hearing about the Hermit from the woman who lives by the house, but it didn't give any clues as to how to get him, so I'd assume that it was meant to be a trial and error thing. :-k

So the Princess and Hermit are the only hidden playable characters? Nuts...

SuperPlay

Pac-Land Done. As you can see from my High Score I used many, many continues. LOL

Commentary:

Stage 02: Ahhhhh so you can press jump multiple times on springboards to gain distance , it has only took me 22 years to work this out.  Dam you manual;-)

Stage 14: Still going for it

Stage 23: Ready to go back to Dead Moon now

Stage 27: Nice night background

Stage 29: How long and and how many lives does it take one man to jump on a plane to get across a river!

10mins later ......

20mins later ......

25mins later Ahhhh I see now.

30mins God dam need to get across the other part of the river now......

40mins Mmmm done it!

Level 30: How many more of these stages are there? enough already.

Level 32: After 2hrs and what feels like 1500 lives I can see the other end of the water, just one more jump....

#!£*^$£^*&*$%£

GOD DAM IT!

3hrs and buckets full of more lives .... That's it the end :@)

What Pro mode ..... No, no and no why on earth would I want to do this all over again?  LOL

/pacg.jpg

What game next?

Think I will have a cup of Tea or two first :@)

roflmao

Nice, SuperPlay!  I think Stage 29 may be about where I gave up. :)  I've tried getting past it a couple times, but don't have the patience you do.   Well, now I want to give it another shot. :mrgreen:

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2012, 05:40 PMNice, SuperPlay!  I think Stage 29 may be about where I gave up. :)  I've tried getting past it a couple times, but don't have the patience you do.   Well, now I want to give it another shot. :mrgreen:
I wanna say its worth beating but it's pretty monotonous in the later levels, but you still should just because  there's unlimited continues.

HercTNT

still playing startling odessey 2, and working my way through Dynastic hero. Dynastic hero is truly an amazing game. anyone that doubts the turbo can look as good as sega or nintendo needs to play it. Great soundtrack to.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2012, 10:38 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/04/2012, 10:25 AMI had no idea you could unlock more than just the Princess.  How does that happen?
Besides the Princess, the Hermit is the only other playable character.  Start playing as the Bard and visit the Hermit's empty house (don't go before you have at least 50hp); you'll be 'challenged' (hp drained) and if you survive, you'll be transformed from a weakling hippie douche into the mighty Hermit.
What? Unless my addled-brain is failing me, I remember playing the robot in Dungeon Explorer! IIRC, the lazer is a powerful, short, beam of death.

Am I suffering dementia already? Surely some other folks can help clear this up!

roflmao

I've gotten a fair amount of Obey in over the past couple of days.  Got in some Dungeon Explorer, lots and lots of Double Dungeons (I know it's kind of looked down on, but I've always loved that game), and Gate of Thunder.  Man that last level is HARD!  I haven't beaten it yet, but I know it's possible.

Lilgrafx

Been playing a lot of cosmic fantasy, it nice to have a JRPG on the system.