fix model 2 sega cd, or buy a JVC xeye ??

Started by munchiaz, 01/08/2012, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchiaz

So last night i was finishing off my game room and testing out my sega gen model 2 and model 2 sega cd. For some reason the Sega CD will not work. It worked when my brother gave it to me a few months back, but now no dice. I was messing around with it last night, moving the sega gen in and out of the connector, and moving around the power cord. i was able to get the access light to turn on a few times, but nothing else.

I looked some stuff up on fixing sega CDs and it seems it may be due to a blown fuse. If its not that then i have no idea what might be causing the issue. Also i noticed last night when my sega gen is connected to the sega cd i will sometimes get a static sound out the speakers. if i have the sega gen connected on its own i don't have this issue. I'm not sure if this is due to that metal plate used to secure the sega gen to the sega CD?

Then i was thinking, why don't i just buy a JVC xeye, maybe i would save myself some trouble. What do you guys think i should do, and do you have any tips for me?

TheClash603

Get a model 1 Sega CD, it's the dope shizz.

RegalSin

I have one of those model II Sega CD. It is far cheaper to just fix it then, buy and Xeye. I have seen the video for it, your basically just opening up your system, and replacing the fuse. I have not fixed mine, because I do not really use my SEGA systems often.

Xeye is a novelty system, just for show. I forget why I don't get one, asides the price.

It is far cheaper and prosperous to fix the system. Why not just try and open it yourself, and follow the instructions until you get to the fuse part.
IMGIMG

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MotherGunner

Sega Genesis CDX is a might nice system too.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

RegalSin

The CDX looks like a nice tight fit, but I heard those thing break too easy :oops:
IMGIMG

TheClash603

munchiaz

well i may be getting a broken x'eye for $30. I'm gunna fix the model 2 sega cd and the x'eye. should be fun projects, and i should learn some stuff to

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

munchiaz

HercTNT

I would go with the x'eye. other than the cdx, it requires alot less hassle and cables than the other solutions.  Supposedly, according to a few sega forums i have been in, they have better audio as well. I honestly cant tell the difference. Then again i'm completely deaf in one ear so how the hell would i know :)   thats my two bits.

Samurai Ghost

Yeah the X'eye is just a gimped Wondermega. Without the s-video out it's really nothing more than a novelty.

Speaking of which I just picked up a second Sega Wondermega RG-M1. Most beautiful system ever made in my opinion. The JVC model looks pretty nice too. Both are fantastic build quality, and feature the best audio and video you can get out of a Megadrive console (you'd expect it with the original 82,800 yen price tag).

/wondermegas.jpg

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: munchiaz on 01/08/2012, 05:56 PMSo last night i was finishing off my game room and testing out my sega gen model 2 and model 2 sega cd. For some reason the Sega CD will not work. It worked when my brother gave it to me a few months back, but now no dice. I was messing around with it last night, moving the sega gen in and out of the connector, and moving around the power cord. i was able to get the access light to turn on a few times, but nothing else.

I looked some stuff up on fixing sega CDs and it seems it may be due to a blown fuse. If its not that then i have no idea what might be causing the issue. Also i noticed last night when my sega gen is connected to the sega cd i will sometimes get a static sound out the speakers. if i have the sega gen connected on its own i don't have this issue. I'm not sure if this is due to that metal plate used to secure the sega gen to the sega CD?

Then i was thinking, why don't i just buy a JVC xeye, maybe i would save myself some trouble. What do you guys think i should do, and do you have any tips for me?
I have all the US models of Sega CD. Here's a quick rundown of each if you're looking to buy another one.

Sega CD 1: Positives: Aesthetically very pleasing looking with nice access lights.
 Negatives: Heavy, takes up quite a bit of space, mine works well although I've heard of lots of problems with people buying secondhand ones.
Notes: My personal experience with this model is very positive.

Sega CD 2:
Postives: This is generally the least expensive Sega CD available.
 Negatives: Big, hangs off the side of the system.
 Notes: These units have a problem where games lock up and you have to tap the side of it to get them to load.

JVC X'Eye
Postives: It's a combined units with both a Genesis and a Sega CD in it, it also uses normal video cables.
Negatives: The big problem with it, is that the drive door closed button seems to fail very frequently.
Notes: I have two of these units, one which I taped the drive door closed button down on, the other seems to work fine. Based on the apparently high failure rate on these, I'd not give them a glowing recommendation.

Sega CDX:
Positives: A nice single unit, takes up very little space, works extremely well.
Negatives: The only two problems with it are that certain games (CD Jurassic Park) seem to have compatibility problems and that because this is such a nice unit it generally goes for more than other models.
Notes: This is the model I recommend most

Laseractive with S10 PAC:
Postives: Works very well in my testing of it. Is sturdy
Negatives: It's part of a gigantic laserdisc player, is the most expensive US configuration of the Sega CD.
Notes: It does produce slightly different looking video output than other Genesis systems. Plays Laseractive games and laserdiscs
--DragonmasterDan

roflmao

Nice write-up, Dan!  I'd really like to get a Sega CD 1 one of these days (They've always looked really cool to me), but wouldn't turn down any of them. ;)

munchiaz

thanks for all the tips guys. I did pick up a xeye for $30. it has issues with the CD portion, so i'm gunna try and fix it when it comes it. I would love to get a wondermega, that system just looks so cool.

HercTNT

do a search on google. I dont remember were i saw it, but the x'eye cd door problem is a really simple fix.  I have to say, that wondermega looks like garbage, i think you should not shame yourself by keeping it and instead send it to me ;)  I have always wondered why they would take such a work of art like the wondermega and turn it into what we got with the x'eye. It baffles the brain.

Samurai Ghost

Well the Wondermega 2 was pretty cool, and that was the basis of the X'Eye, although why they chose to remove the built in wireless controller and s-video is beyond me. Well, I guess they were trying to cut costs, but they not understand the point of their own product?

IMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/09/2012, 10:59 PMWell the Wondermega 2 was pretty cool, and that was the basis of the X'Eye, although why they chose to remove the built in wireless controller and s-video is beyond me. Well, I guess they were trying to cut costs, but they not understand the point of their own product?

IMG
I need to find some of those wireless Victor pads for my WM2...

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: BlueBMW on 01/09/2012, 11:44 PM
Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/09/2012, 10:59 PMWell the Wondermega 2 was pretty cool, and that was the basis of the X'Eye, although why they chose to remove the built in wireless controller and s-video is beyond me. Well, I guess they were trying to cut costs, but they not understand the point of their own product?

IMG
I need to find some of those wireless Victor pads for my WM2...
They pop up on Yahoo Auctions Japan from time to time but tend go for a pretty high price. One went fairly cheaply recently and I almost picked it up, but thought it was a silly to buy an expensive controller I have no way of using at the moment.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: HercTNT on 01/09/2012, 10:49 PMdo a search on google. I dont remember were i saw it, but the x'eye cd door problem is a really simple fix.  I have to say, that wondermega looks like garbage, i think you should not shame yourself by keeping it and instead send it to me ;)  I have always wondered why they would take such a work of art like the wondermega and turn it into what we got with the x'eye. It baffles the brain.
http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/features-MODSXEYEpinswitch.html
--DragonmasterDan

HercTNT

munchiaz

^ indeed i looked it over before i made the purchase. seems simple enough to do

ApolloBoy

Quote from: munchiaz on 01/10/2012, 06:39 PM^ indeed i looked it over before i made the purchase. seems simple enough to do
It's about the same as doing a region switch mod on a model 1 Genesis, just on a smaller scale.
IMG

munchiaz

So i tried to override the pin switch with a copper wire. This hasnt worked for me. I had a question if anyone of you may know. When you go to the menu screen, and it says door open at the top of the screen, is it supposed to constantly flash the words door open

HercTNT

Not that i'm aware of. the fix that dragon gave a link to, i believe is supposed to make the system think the door is always closed, thus fixing the problem of the door appearing open.  I know that was kinda a duh statement, but thats my understanding of the fix.

munchiaz

^yeah same here. i tried to override the pin switch with a copper wire, but no dice. My brother is going to let me use his continuity testing to see if the wire is making a connection.

munchiaz

tinkered around last night with the xeye again and figured some stuff out. I took the top tray off and turned the system on. if i do this it has the message door open, but it doesn't flash like it did previously. I pressed the pinswitch button down, and the door open message went away, and the disc spun around like 1 time, then it stopped and the flashing door open message came back. I thought maybe it was the laser. So i took the laser out of my broken sega CD and replaced it. Still no dice, although i do notice the red laser, and i don't recall seeing that when it had the original laser in there. Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do next.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: munchiaz on 01/16/2012, 04:42 PMtinkered around last night with the xeye again and figured some stuff out. I took the top tray off and turned the system on. if i do this it has the message door open, but it doesn't flash like it did previously. I pressed the pinswitch button down, and the door open message went away, and the disc spun around like 1 time, then it stopped and the flashing door open message came back. I thought maybe it was the laser. So i took the laser out of my broken sega CD and replaced it. Still no dice, although i do notice the red laser, and i don't recall seeing that when it had the original laser in there. Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do next.
Does the problem persist if you hold the button down? If it's some simple problem with the button you could try taping the button down so it's always closed.

munchiaz

^yeah it do still happen with the button pressed down. What happens is the door open message will go away as i press down the button, but like 10 seconds later it will come back flashing.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: munchiaz on 01/19/2012, 12:00 AM^yeah it do still happen with the button pressed down. What happens is the door open message will go away as i press down the button, but like 10 seconds later it will come back flashing.
Hmm, I wonder what the problem is. Have you checked for any loose wires/connections?

munchiaz

^ i took a look around, but i'm not very good with electronics. I really am just not sure on what to look for.