New here, looking for RPG recommendations

Started by tpivette, 03/10/2012, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

Just signed up to these boards after finding my old TG16 in a box in my parents house. I originally got the system when I was 11 during Christmas of 89'. My parents wanted me to have something different than all my friends, which had primarily NES's. Now, more than 20 years later, I'm surprised my old system still works (flawlessly I may add) however, most of my games are missing. So now I have to start a new collection... but that's fine.

Anyway... my favorite games are RPGs, and I don't remember the TG to have too many (especially like the Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest series). I did have Dungeon Explorer and Neutopia as a kid, but are there any other HuCard RPGs you guys can point me in the direction of? I did some research and discovered that the TG CDRom has some RPGs to offer, but I'm not ready to upgrade just yet (haven't found a Turbo Duo that's reasonably priced as of now). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

roflmao

Welcome! There weren't many RPG HuCards for the system unfortunately. 

Final Lap Twin is a cross between a racing game and an RPG where you have random races instead of random battles and you upgrade your race car instead of upgrade weapons and armor.  It's actually a lot of fun.  And can  be tracked down pretty cheap, I think.

Another one that comes to mind is Double Dungeons, which is a first person dungeon crawl.  Your character levels up as you explore maze-like dungeons and fight monsters.  You can upgrade your equipment when you find item shops and there's a boss at the end of each maze.  It get's pretty monotonous and tedious (I've never beaten the game) but it's a blast in short spurts.  Your character resets to level one each time you start a new map. It should also be a pretty cheap pickup.

Neutopia II is very similar to Neutopia I, so if you liked it, you should like the sequel.  It's a little hard to come by as it was released later in the system's life.  And it's a little more costly.

Those are the ones that immediately jump into my head...

nat

Order of the Griffon is a D&D RPG, cartridge based. I haven't really played it yet, so I can't comment on how good it is, but I've heard good things.

There are a crapload of JP-region cartridge RPGs, but it sounds like you only have the means to play US titles.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

roflmao

D'oh!  How could I have forgotten OotG!  It's fun, but the manual is almost necessary.  Also, it's kind of an acquired taste.  You may want to check it out on youtube before hunting this one down.

Sadler

This probably depends on what you consider an RPG. Cadash, the Neutopia's, and Dungeon Explorer are all pretty good games, but honestly you need to look into CD games for the best the console has to offer. On the US side Dragon Slayer, Ys Book I & II, Ys III, Exile I and II, Dungeon Exploerer II.

If you look at Japanese games (including translations), there's a lot of awesome stuff out there! :D I'd recommend starting with Legend of Xanadu II.

esteban

Welcome, comrade. :pcds:

Once you exhaust all the good TG-16 RPG's / ARPG's, don't forget about Double Dungeons. It supports two player co-op and actually is pretty kool (IMHO).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

tpivette

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions guys!

I had Cadash back in the early 90s, sadly enough I couldn't find that one at my parents. Only the case remained... don't know what happened to the game, sleeve, and manual. Looking to get that one again (even tho it was more action based).

All the things I've heard on youtube about Double Dungeons were negative, saying the game was really monotonous. Its strange to hear people on this forum recommending it. Maybe I'll give it a chance when I've played the rest of the RPGs.

I really wanted a CDRom attachment (and or Turbo Duo) when I was a kid, I just didn't have that kind of income when I was 12/13 years old! While I do have the means to get one today, the cheapest I've found a Duo for was $450 (complete with box, cables, but no games). It did have its capacitors replaced and a new laser installed/adjusted... but that's kinda pricey I think. I'm sure I can find a better deal if I wait a bit. So for now, I'm just gonna stick with the HuCard options, even tho they're scarce

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: tpivette on 03/10/2012, 09:54 PMAnyway... my favorite games are RPGs, and I don't remember the TG to have too many (especially like the Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest series).
Unfortunately, the only two US releases that are J-RPGs in the same style as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are CD based games. If you ever get around to getting a Duo or a Super CD, there's Dragon Slayer, a game made by Falcom that is heavily influenced by Dragon Quest. And Cosmic Fantasy 2 a CD-ROM2 game that is more influenced by the Phantasy Star series.

Beyond those there are J-RPG hybrid games like Ys on the platform. But nothing in the style of DQ and FF released in the US market.
--DragonmasterDan

tpivette

Thanks for the additional suggestions! I did play Phantasy Star 2/3/4 on the Genesis, so Cosmic Fantasy 2 sounds like it'd be something I'd be into. Just have to find a way to play those CD/Super CD games without spending $450+ on a Duo.

A little off topic... am I correct in thinking a PC Engine Duo will play both US and Japanese CDs/Super CDs? I know it won't play the US HuCards (but I can use my original TG16 for that), but if the above is true, I can pick up a Japanese Duo for half the price of the american version. Doing so will not only save me a bunch of money, but then I can play the full lineup of US and import games, correct?

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

roflmao

Quote from: tpivette on 03/11/2012, 08:30 AMA little off topic... am I correct in thinking a PC Engine Duo will play both US and Japanese CDs/Super CDs? I know it won't play the US HuCards (but I can use my original TG16 for that), but if the above is true, I can pick up a Japanese Duo for half the price of the american version. Doing so will not only save me a bunch of money, but then I can play the full lineup of US and import games, correct?
Yep. the CD games are region free.  Folks here from time to time sell PC Engine Duos for even less than you can find them at ebay.  From what I hear, the Duo-R and Duo-RX have better craftsmanship on their internals so you may want to keep an eye out for them.  They retain the same shape of a duo, but are an off-white color as opposed to black.  The RX also should come with a six-button controller, which is nice when you inevitably start collecting PC Engine HuCards and get Street Fighter II'. :D

VestCunt

Welcome Tpivette.

Order of the Griffon rocks.  I shared some thoughts here: 
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2337.msg25608#msg25608

Bernie recently scanned the manual here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11317.0

Somebody is selling a loose copy here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11327.0

Quote from: tpivette on 03/11/2012, 07:18 AMAll the things I've heard on youtube about Double Dungeons were negative, saying the game was really monotonous. Its strange to hear people on this forum recommending it. Maybe I'll give it a chance when I've played the rest of the RPGs.
Most youtube reviewers are worthless.  Check out thebrothersduomazov.com, videogameden.com, and http://turbo.mindrec.com/reviews.html

Double Doungeons is great.  The scaling is smooth, the music rocks, and it's two player.  Yes, it's monotonous, but so is Tetris.  The gameplay is addictive.
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

Quote from: tpivette on 03/11/2012, 08:30 AMThanks for the additional suggestions! I did play Phantasy Star 2/3/4 on the Genesis, so Cosmic Fantasy 2 sounds like it'd be something I'd be into. Just have to find a way to play those CD/Super CD games without spending $450+ on a Duo.

A little off topic... am I correct in thinking a PC Engine Duo will play both US and Japanese CDs/Super CDs? I know it won't play the US HuCards (but I can use my original TG16 for that), but if the above is true, I can pick up a Japanese Duo for half the price of the american version. Doing so will not only save me a bunch of money, but then I can play the full lineup of US and import games, correct?
There are several Duo R/RX systems on eBay right now for <$250 shipped. They will play every English language CD game plus 99% of all Japanese CD games. Only one Japanese RPG cannot be played on a Duo system without an additional system card. The Duo R/RX systems also have less hardware issues than the Turbo Duo, regular PCE Duo or the regular CD-ROM add-ons.

Many Japanese CD RPGs can be played by most people with (and often without) a Japanese walkthrough. Several great games have detailed English walkthroughs. Depending on personal taste, there are many PCE RPGs which are as good as or better than the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SMF

If you do pick up Final Lap Twin and enjoy it I do recommend World Court Tennis. Same thing as Final Lap Twin but with Tennis battles. Both games are lots of fun.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/11/2012, 03:51 PMThere are several Duo R/RX systems on eBay right now for <$250 shipped. They will play every English language CD game plus 99% of all Japanese CD games. Only one Japanese RPG cannot be played on a Duo system without an additional system card. The Duo R/RX systems also have less hardware issues than the Turbo Duo, regular PCE Duo or the regular CD-ROM add-ons.

Many Japanese CD RPGs can be played by most people with (and often without) a Japanese walkthrough. Several great games have detailed English walkthroughs. Depending on personal taste, there are many PCE RPGs which are as good as or better than the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.
Even less than 250.00 http://www.gameofjapan.com/product_info.php?products_id=9204&country=223
--DragonmasterDan

roflmao

Quote from: SMF on 03/11/2012, 04:48 PMIf you do pick up Final Lap Twin and enjoy it I do recommend World Court Tennis. Same thing as Final Lap Twin but with Tennis battles. Both games are lots of fun.
I did not know that.  Now I really want to track down World Court Tennis.  I've got Davis Cup Tennis, and am not terribly impressed (the sfx are pretty impressive).  How do the characters handle in World Cup Tennis?  Does it play well?  In Davis Cup I have a hard time judging where the ball is going to be and timing my shots (I was spoiled by the tennis games on the Dreamcast).

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: tpivette on 03/11/2012, 07:18 AMAll the things I've heard on youtube about Double Dungeons were negative, saying the game was really monotonous. Its strange to hear people on this forum recommending it. Maybe I'll give it a chance when I've played the rest of the RPGs.
Double Dungeons is a fucking masterpiece, and don't you forget it.  Its an arcade RPG.  If you are familiar with Akalabeth, it's basically a hopped up version.

Order of the Griffon isn't as detailed as the computer based AD&D goldbox games, but it is still frigging sweet.   You can't make your own characters all the way down to the portraits... but the choices they give are decent, and it doesnt matter anyways, since the game itself is awesome.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SMF

Quote from: guest on 03/11/2012, 05:03 PM
Quote from: SMF on 03/11/2012, 04:48 PMIf you do pick up Final Lap Twin and enjoy it I do recommend World Court Tennis. Same thing as Final Lap Twin but with Tennis battles. Both games are lots of fun.
I did not know that.  Now I really want to track down World Court Tennis.  I've got Davis Cup Tennis, and am not terribly impressed (the sfx are pretty impressive).  How do the characters handle in World Cup Tennis?  Does it play well?  In Davis Cup I have a hard time judging where the ball is going to be and timing my shots (I was spoiled by the tennis games on the Dreamcast).
World Court Tennis is the best Tennis game released in that era of tennis games. Its multiplayer singles or doubles and the RPG elemit is great. The characters handle pretty decent and it plays well. The racket finds the ball easily in that no cheap ass swings where you know you hit the ball but it totally misses lol.

Its just like Final Lap Twin, Walk around and random battles win and get money go to the Tennis shops and upgrade your gear. I highly recommned it. I know they sell for around $5 to $10 complete (without box).
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

nat

Quote from: SMF on 03/11/2012, 10:29 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/11/2012, 05:03 PM
I did not know that.  Now I really want to track down World Court Tennis.  I've got Davis Cup Tennis, and am not terribly impressed (the sfx are pretty impressive).  How do the characters handle in World Cup Tennis?  Does it play well?  In Davis Cup I have a hard time judging where the ball is going to be and timing my shots (I was spoiled by the tennis games on the Dreamcast).
World Court Tennis is the best Tennis game released in that era of tennis games. Its multiplayer singles or doubles and the RPG elemit is great. The characters handle pretty decent and it plays well. The racket finds the ball easily in that no cheap ass swings where you know you hit the ball but it totally misses lol.

Its just like Final Lap Twin, Walk around and random battles win and get money go to the Tennis shops and upgrade your gear. I highly recommned it. I know they sell for around $5 to $10 complete (without box).
Man, I gotta strongly disagree here. Davis Cup Tennis destroys WCT in every way, IMO. WCT is what I'd consider an "epic fail" in that it should have been fantastic, judging by the precedent set by Final Lap Twin.

I haven't had a chance to write up my own review of it yet, but my bro's take more or less parallels my own:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/2009/10/world-court-tennis_28.html

And to the OP, YouTube "reviews" are by and large garbage.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

BigT

Quote from: tpivette on 03/11/2012, 08:30 AMThanks for the additional suggestions! I did play Phantasy Star 2/3/4 on the Genesis, so Cosmic Fantasy 2 sounds like it'd be something I'd be into. Just have to find a way to play those CD/Super CD games without spending $450+ on a Duo.

I eventually purchased a modded PC Engine Duo that serves as my main machine.  There's a guy on Ebay, doujindance, who puts them up for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/doujindance/m.html?hash=item2ebc2d976c&item=200725600108&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_trksid=p4340.l2562

These are region modded, so you can play US Turbochips and Japanese Hucards with the flip of the switch.  They are also equipped with a new lens and an RGB mod (albeit European SCART style).

At times, when I'm away from the PC engine, I do rely on emulators, such as Magic Engine...

esteban

tpivette, you are now obligated to purchase Double Dungeons, lest you endure the ire of my fellow comrades.

Seriously, though, you're going to have a blast playing all of the games recommended in this thread :pcds:

Keith Courage

I actually enjoyed all of the RPGs made for this system so in my opinion you can't go wrong. Well any of them that were in english anyways. The ones that would stand out to me the most would be the YS series and Dragon Slayer.

CrackTiger

Quote from: BigT on 03/12/2012, 10:10 PM

I eventually purchased a modded PC Engine Duo that serves as my main machine.  There's a guy on Ebay, doujindance, who puts them up for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/doujindance/m.html?hash=item2ebc2d976c&item=200725600108&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_trksid=p4340.l2562

These are region modded, so you can play US Turbochips and Japanese Hucards with the flip of the switch.  They are also equipped with a new lens and an RGB mod (albeit European SCART style).

At times, when I'm away from the PC engine, I do rely on emulators, such as Magic Engine...
Do you have a TV that accepts RGB or do you convert it to component? I bought a fully modded Duo R from doujindance and it doesn't work with my RGB-to-component transcoder (un-modded RGB outputting consoles do though). So it just collects dust instead.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keith Courage

Cosmic Fantasy 2 does rock. Well at least I think so.

tpivette

Well, I found a used but in great shape PC Engine Duo on ebay (I like the Turbo Duo look, even if the R/Rx are beefier) and purchased it. Wouldn't you know it... 2 days later a PCE Duo with the caps replaced comes up for sale on here for about $15 less, shipped. Good things must truely come to those who wait. Oh well

However, now that I'll have the ability to play Super CDs, I purchased the US Dragon Slayer as well. Can't wait for it all to arrive so I can play a game I yearned for as a kid. The Ys series, and Cosmic Fantasy 2 will soon follow (Double Dungeons will have to wait).

Thanks for all the help guys!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

kiketonto

Quote from: tpivette on 03/13/2012, 06:02 AMWell, I found a used but in great shape PC Engine Duo on ebay (I like the Turbo Duo look, even if the R/Rx are beefier) and purchased it. Wouldn't you know it... 2 days later a PCE Duo with the caps replaced comes up for sale on here for about $15 less, shipped. Good things must truely come to those who wait.
That things happen, anyway, congratulations you bought a great machine!
Quote from: tpivette on 03/13/2012, 06:02 AMHowever, now that I'll have the ability to play Super CDs, I purchased the US Dragon Slayer as well. Can't wait for it all to arrive so I can play a game I yearned for as a kid. The Ys series, and Cosmic Fantasy 2 will soon follow
Great games too!

Quote from: tpivette on 03/13/2012, 06:02 AM(Double Dungeons will have to wait).
Man, it's a MUST HAVE!!!!!

esteban

Ah! Don't neglect the wonderful HuCARD titles simply because you become infatuated with the wonderful CD library.  :pcgs:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: tpivette on 03/13/2012, 06:02 AMWell, I found a used but in great shape PC Engine Duo on ebay (I like the Turbo Duo look, even if the R/Rx are beefier) and purchased it. Wouldn't you know it... 2 days later a PCE Duo with the caps replaced comes up for sale on here for about $15 less, shipped. Good things must truely come to those who wait. Oh well

However, now that I'll have the ability to play Super CDs, I purchased the US Dragon Slayer as well. Can't wait for it all to arrive so I can play a game I yearned for as a kid. The Ys series, and Cosmic Fantasy 2 will soon follow (Double Dungeons will have to wait).

Thanks for all the help guys!
Not to try and peddle my wares here or anything...

I've got a Valis 2 and War of the Dead spare I'm looking to sell.

Valis is an awesome actiony game that you need to play...
and War of the Dead is a Survival Horror Action RPG.

They're both in Japanese.  Welcome to the PC Engine. :)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Turbotracks

Welcome tpivette.  I am fairly new to these forums, but I can say that almost everybody is very passionate about the systems and knows their stuff.  Except for the people in love with Double Dungeons!  I'm kidding, it is a great game if you like dungeon crawlers.  I prefer a different style of RPG. Cosmic Fantasy 2 was one of my favorite games as a kid and still is.  That, the Ys series, and Dragon Slayer are worth the price of a DuoR.  My Turbo Duo's sound died years ago before I knew anything about caps and the like, and buying a DuoR was the first move I made.  No regrets!
Thunderbolts first down!

JoshTurboTrollX

I'd say Pick up Ys I&II then once you start playing that quickly follow with Ys IV.  Even with it NOT being English, you should have NO problem playing through it.  Check out English walk-throughs if you get stuck.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Turbotracks

I have a burn of Ys IV with english translation that I got years ago from somebody, but was always afraid of putting it in the system.  Anyone know of one that was done?  Maybe a topic for a new thread.
Thunderbolts first down!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Turbotracks on 03/13/2012, 03:08 PMI have a burn of Ys IV with english translation that I got years ago from somebody, but was always afraid of putting it in the system.  Anyone know of one that was done?  Maybe a topic for a new thread.
There have been many many many threads on the topic of playing CDRs in your system. For all intents and purposes the general rule is don't use CDRs unless you're willing to risk hardware problems.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/13/2012, 03:10 PM
Quote from: Turbotracks on 03/13/2012, 03:08 PMI have a burn of Ys IV with english translation that I got years ago from somebody, but was always afraid of putting it in the system.  Anyone know of one that was done?  Maybe a topic for a new thread.
There have been many many many threads on the topic of playing CDRs in your system. For all intents and purposes the general rule is don't use CDRs unless you're willing to risk hardware problems.
You'll also read in the same threads how cdrs don't seem to affect hardware that is properly taken care of any more than original CD games do. Even by the fear mongering standards, playing through a single RPG on cdr won't hurt your system.

Also "cdr" is a very vague term used to describe a wide range of reproductions. There's a huge difference between some random iso/mp3 download and a properly copied and patch disc.

esteban

IMG Cook is eager to play Bonk IV RPG!

BigT

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2012, 02:12 AM
Quote from: BigT on 03/12/2012, 10:10 PM

Do you have a TV that accepts RGB or do you convert it to component? I bought a fully modded Duo R from doujindance and it doesn't work with my RGB-to-component transcoder (un-modded RGB outputting consoles do though). So it just collects dust instead.
I still use it to play on a CRT using composite outputs... I've been too busy to try to figure out the SCART conversion...

I know that the purists will yell at me... but I simply use Magic Engine on my HTPC and LCD monitor... I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Keith Courage

If you system will play the CDR well then I say do it. However if it struggles and takes abnormal amounts of time for the game to load things then don't cause in that case it will wear things out.

tpivette

Received my copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes today... unfortunately, my PC Engine Duo hasn't arrived yet. Should be here by the end of this week - beginning of next week. Its torture staring at the Super CD and not being able to play it! Arrggg!

Anyone have extra complete (boxes not necessary) US copies of any of the mentioned RPGs that they want to get rid of? Looking to expand my collection!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

esteban

Quote from: tpivette on 03/14/2012, 09:09 PMReceived my copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes today... unfortunately, my PC Engine Duo hasn't arrived yet. Should be here by the end of next week - beginning of next week. Its torture staring at the Super CD and not being able to play it! Arrggg!

Anyone have extra complete (boxes not necessary) US copies of any of the mentioned RPGs that they want to get rid of? Looking to expand my collection!
If you can't play LoH: Dragon Slayer yet, pop the CD into a player and listen to the Red Book.  :pcgs:

tpivette

They play in regular CD players? As in, I can pop it into my Eclipse CD3000 on the way to work and check out the audio tracks? Neat! Guess I'll have to check that out tomorrow

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

VestCunt

Skip track 2 (usually data) and test the tracks with your speakers fairly low case you hit some full scale digital.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

Quote from: tpivette on 03/14/2012, 10:11 PMThey play in regular CD players? As in, I can pop it into my Eclipse CD3000 on the way to work and check out the audio tracks? Neat! Guess I'll have to check that out tomorrow
Correct. Track 1 is always a warning. Track 2 is always data. Now, usually, you'll have a bunch of Red Book tracks, but some games have additional data tracks (for example, a redundant data track at end of disc, in case track 2 becomes damaged/corrupt). Less common, you'll see data track interspersed between a bunch of Red Book tracks.

I've never damaged any CD player or speakers. Just hit "skip track" if you hit data.  :pcgs:

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: tpivette on 03/14/2012, 09:09 PMReceived my copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes today... unfortunately, my PC Engine Duo hasn't arrived yet. Should be here by the end of this week - beginning of next week. Its torture staring at the Super CD and not being able to play it! Arrggg!
Just making sure, you got a US copy of Dragon Slayer right?
--DragonmasterDan

tpivette

Yep, US copy. Everythings in english and it says "Turbo Duo" on the disc

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 03/14/2012, 10:07 PM
Quote from: tpivette on 03/14/2012, 09:09 PMReceived my copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes today... unfortunately, my PC Engine Duo hasn't arrived yet. Should be here by the end of next week - beginning of next week. Its torture staring at the Super CD and not being able to play it! Arrggg!

If you can't play LoH: Dragon Slayer yet, pop the CD into a player and listen to the Red Book.  :pcgs:
That's exactly what I did with it and Shapeshifter while waiting for the TurboDuo and Super CD card to be released. :)

OldRover

Nowadays, pretty much all audio CD players will simply skip over a track that identifies as data.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

Quote from: esteban on 03/15/2012, 07:51 AMI've never damaged any CD player or speakers. Just hit "skip track" if you hit data.  :pcgs:
Back in times, I had a friend which regulary borrowed PCE CD games from me, just to lissen to the frantastic BGMs. Even tho I warned him about the data tracks may damage his stereo, he once must have past out while the player was in repeat mode.

Conclusion: 2x dead speakers, 1x broken amplifier.

LOL, never underestimate the power of PCE!

Now pump it up to ma..er..PCE!

/pceknob.jpg
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

tpivette

I'm checking out the audio tracks now on a cheapie portable memorex cd player. When I hit "play", I heard this message...

"Warning. This CROM contains computer data which may damage your audio system. Please stop playing this disc immediately."

Haha, guess I'll just have to be careful

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2012, 08:30 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/14/2012, 10:07 PM

That's exactly what I did with it and Shapeshifter while waiting for the TurboDuo and Super CD card to be released. :)
Absolutely.  :pcgs:.
Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/15/2012, 09:42 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/15/2012, 07:51 AMI've never damaged any CD player or speakers. Just hit "skip track" if you hit data.  :pcgs:
Back in times, I had a friend which regulary borrowed PCE CD games from me, just to lissen to the frantastic BGMs. Even tho I warned him about the data tracks may damage his stereo, he once must have past out while the player was in repeat mode.

Conclusion: 2x dead speakers, 1x broken amplifier.

LOL, never underestimate the power of PCE!

Now pump it up to ma..er..PCE!

/pceknob.jpg
IMG Almighty Zeus! That sounds (ha!) horrible! I would have been devastated is I had experienced that.

Quote from: tpivette on 03/16/2012, 08:07 AMI'm checking out the audio tracks now on a cheapie portable memorex cd player. When I hit "play", I heard this message...

"Warning. This CROM contains computer data which may damage your audio system. Please stop playing this disc immediately."

Haha, guess I'll just have to be careful
:cook: Cook prefers to be reckless and cavalier with data tracks!

JoshTurboTrollX

be careful if you ever get Cosmic Fantasy 2 when playing in a regular CD player.  WD decided to put digital data tracks althrougout the disc.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/16/2012, 11:32 AMbe careful if you ever get Cosmic Fantasy 2 when playing in a regular CD player.  WD decided to put digital data tracks althrougout the disc.
You mean robot music.

CrackTiger

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/16/2012, 11:32 AMbe careful if you ever get Cosmic Fantasy 2 when playing in a regular CD player.  WD decided to put digital data tracks althrougout the disc.
I don't know if it was WD who designed it that way, since other Telenet games do that too.