If you had worked at NEC/Hudson or T.T.I. back in the day...

Started by Shrapnoid, 01/30/2012, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colossus1574

Quote from: nat on 04/05/2012, 02:41 AMOh yeah, there are at least a few damn good SuperCD fighters. I haven't played Martial Champion or Algunos, but Flash Hiders is excellent. Asuka and Advanced VG are also pretty good. And what about Godzilla?
Can't seem to find ANY fighting animation for Flash Hiders on YouTube...Asuka and AVG look pretty good for SuperCD releases, but they still aren't FatalFury 2:Special  [-X  My absolute favourite fighter on the system, they fact that it replicated a NeoGeo title so closely is pretty damn impressive!

kazekirifx

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 04/05/2012, 09:16 PMCan't seem to find ANY fighting animation for Flash Hiders on YouTube...
The "Longplay" on youtube has some gameplay mixed in. Try it at about 16:00.
There SHOULD be more. I'd love to have a tournament in this game and put it up on Youtube. I would want to use the speed code and turn it up all the way, of course.

Colossus1574

Thank Kaze! (guess i was just too lazy to scrub through 1hr16 of video, hehe)

I dunno man, I don't see anything very special with the fighting graphics/animation. The animation frames look pretty limited...almost looks like it's skipping frames? haha. But i do like the layout and the colors  :D

kazekirifx

I wouldn't dare compare Flash Hiders to any quality Arcade fighters, but as a home console exclusive from the early 90's it's probably my favorite. It may not quite have the impressive graphics or animation on the level of SF2, but there are a lot of unique gameplay elements that make Flash Hiders special and enjoyable. I just popped the game in a couple weeks ago in what must have been the first time in nearly 10 years, and I can still see what made me love it so much back in the day. I love timing a move so it hits my opponent just at the right moment as they are getting up and can't block it (one feature which I believe is unique to Flash Hiders). Certainly, it would get old if every fighter were like Flash Hiders, but as the only fighter of its kind, I think Flash Hiders is a unique breath of fresh air and has offered me many quality hours of enjoyment over the years. The different gameplay modes and adjustable speed (with a code) also add to the lasting enjoyment.

If nothing else, it is far superior to its sequel on the Super Famicom "Battle Tycoon". Battle Tycoon fails because they took out much of what made Flash Hiders good. Perhaps Flash Hiders was a 'happy accident' by a company that had little idea how to make a good fighter in the first place, but in any case the end result was good for me.

Edit: Oh yeah, getting back to the original topic. If I had worked at T.T.I. back in the day, this might have been a title to consider. Obviously it doesn't have the selling power of recognizable franchises like SF2 and Mortal Kombat, but the Turbo had not even one decent fighter in its library. A game like Flash Hiders couldn't have hurt. It would have at least served to broaden the game genres available in the Turbo library.

roflmao

Yeah, Flash Hiders here in the States would have been awesome.  It was one of the few games I imported bitd and I was not disappointed.

I don't think a Scorched Earth / Worms style game would have hurt.  5 player?  Sweet!

NecroPhile

Quote from: kazekirifx on 04/06/2012, 12:58 AM... the Turbo had not even one decent fighter in its library.
Godzilla doesn't even rank as decent?!?  Crazy!  :(
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2012, 10:35 AM
Quote from: kazekirifx on 04/06/2012, 12:58 AM... the Turbo had not even one decent fighter in its library.
Godzilla doesn't even rank as decent?!?  Crazy!  :(
IMG
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

RegalSin

If I was in NEC, I do not think, porting any game would have saved the system. Everybody was high on Mario fever back then, and then Sonic came around eventually. I would have had to combat the two with some sorta ultimate powerfull gameplay measure.

The one thing that NEC could have done was publish Adventure island, and release the animation series based off it. They did it in Japan, but not the USA? Even talk to Malibu Comics, and release something in relation to NEC series. Sonic did exactly this. They had two differnt series. One that was a cartoon and one that was an animation.

The flat fact remained that US gamers ( and pretty all western youths )
were all new to videogames. Nobody even remembers how pugly the arcades were. I remember when this guy would be in the arcade with his big snake on neck ( thing had it's quick tounge and everything ), and people were smoking drugs in the arcade. While that was insane enough during the early 1980's the arcades was run down ugly. But run down. It was nice being a kid in the arcade days, communicating with your "peers". Life was normal.

Thinking back while things were run down back then, the movies, arcades, and stores were auwsome.
IMGIMG

kazekirifx

Quote from: guest on 04/06/2012, 10:35 AMGodzilla doesn't even rank as decent?!?  Crazy!  :(
Yep. You read that right. What part is crazy?

RegalSin, a Bonk cartoon would have been awesome...

NecroPhile

Quote from: kazekirifx on 04/08/2012, 09:25 PMYep. You read that right. What part is crazy?
The crazy part is your poor taste in vs. fighters.  It's not surprising, really, just crazy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!