10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2012, 08:49 PMI spent a good chunk of the day playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on the Gamecube today.  I've owned this game since about the time it was released and I finally got the 4th Star (out of 7) today.  It'll probably be another 5 years before I complete this game at this rate. :)
Dude! This was the first RPG I ever played through and I'd still call it one of my favorite games. You've gotta play all the way through.

roflmao

I plan on it.  I started a new game with my son, who's about to turn four over the weekend.  We're just about to tackle the first real boss, the dragon.  He's loving it so far.  There's a lot of reading in this game. :D

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2012, 09:19 AMI plan on it.  I started a new game with my son, who's about to turn four over the weekend.  We're just about to tackle the first real boss, the dragon.  He's loving it so far.  There's a lot of reading in this game. :D
That's funny because I was about the same age when I watched my brother play through the N64 one. I can still remember sneaking into my brothers room  after bedtime to watch him play.

Mathius

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/17/2012, 09:32 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/17/2012, 09:19 AMI plan on it.  I started a new game with my son, who's about to turn four over the weekend.  We're just about to tackle the first real boss, the dragon.  He's loving it so far.  There's a lot of reading in this game. :D
That's funny because I was about the same age when I watched my brother play through the N64 one. I can still remember sneaking into my brothers room  after bedtime to watch him play. 
You must not have been very old then. :)

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Mathius on 04/17/2012, 09:47 PM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/17/2012, 09:32 PM
You must not have been very old then. :)
Yeah I was like 5

Bernie

I dont play games...  Games bad.....

roflmao

I just picked up Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, and it looks like another game the little one will be watching me play. :D I've never played it and there are very mixed reviews about it. 

I got a little over 22 million in Devil's Crush on the Express earlier today.  Also made it to Level 8 in Blazing Lazers (the bubble level) before turning it off to eat dinner.  Played that on the Express too.

roflmao

Argh.  Another double post.  You guys need to post here more often. :P

I picked up Alleyway for the Original Game Boy this morning and I've spent more time than I'd like to admit playing it today.  I sure wish there was a save feature.  It starts out slow, but becomes all sorts of fun.  I've made it about 10 levels in so far and I have a feeling I'm at the tip of the iceberg.  I'm playing it on my GBA SP as I don't have an original Game Boy.  :?

Lilgrafx

Been playing some Mr. Heli on the PCE. I've played to the gameover screen twice today, both times making it to the 5 stage. The game reminds me of Fanstasy Zone with the shops and the way the Bosses explode into Crystals. It's pretty easy other than the 2nd boss, I lost 2 continues to that bastard!

TR0N

Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles

Genesis
Arcus Odyssey
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

roflmao

I just returned from a weekend camping trip and it was mostly a Gamecube/GBA adapter weekend.  Played a lot of Alleyway for the original Gameboy.  Also played a fair amount of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. 

Oh yeah, and a bunch of Bonk's Adventure for the original Gameboy.  I haven't been able to beat the fourth boss in Bonk's Adventure yet.  Some sort of ballerina rat, or something.

I think I also got a bit of Crystal Chronicles in as well, but not much.

esteban

Centipede/Millipede!!!!

DDT has never been lovelier.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Lilgrafx

beat areo  fighters on the snes with my brother. The easiest shooter I've ever played

munchiaz

a whole lot of KOF 13. getting ready for EVO in july

SMF

Been playing the Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection for Xbox. Its easier then hooking up the Genesis to play some Streets of Rage beat em ups.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

munchiaz

played some Nintendo world cup last night for like an hour. played 3 games, each game i had like 15-20 points and the opposing team had none

Lilgrafx

Got Half Minute hero for the PSP. Played the first 6 quest, and I have to say this game is brilliant.  Playing through an rpg in 30 seconds is great!

roflmao

I started playing Guild Wars again a few days ago and have been playing it more than I ought.  :)  Getting psyched about Guild Wars 2.

SMF

Downloaded The walking Dead the other day was iffy about it but it turned out to be really good. Only played thru it once tho. Does anyone know if you choose different answers if you play thru it again will it change the outcome any? But I di enjoy it and can't wait for the 2nd episode to come out.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

munchiaz

played splattehouse 2 for the first time today. I dont know if its me, but i find the game kindof "cheap" Maybe its because my first splatterhouse game was 3, but i just feel like all my deaths are cheap, and those stupid jumping guys in the second level are so annoying

Lilgrafx

a lot of Patapon, I love this game! I bought the patapon 3 to play when I'm done. I also started EVO on the SNES, this game is sweet.

PikachuWarrior

what is evo on the snes like? what kind of rpg is it?
IMG

Mathius

cabbage

If you haven't played E.V.O., you should

roflmao

I've been playing some Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles lately.  Just finished the first year this morning.  It's growing on me.  I wish the multi-player portion of the game could be played without all the extra hardware; requiring GC-GBA Link Cables and GBAs for each player is pretty retarded.

Lilgrafx

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 01:40 AMwhat is evo on the snes like? what kind of rpg is it?
It's an action RPG and every enemy you kill gives you evolution points to make your creature stronger. I highly recommend  it, very unique.

munchiaz

been playing soul blazer. I'm almost done. Im in area 6 right now.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2012, 09:15 AMI've been playing some Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles lately.  Just finished the first year this morning.  It's growing on me.  I wish the multi-player portion of the game could be played without all the extra hardware; requiring GC-GBA Link Cables and GBAs for each player is pretty retarded.
Great game, and look here for a way to play it with regular controllers....lol

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 05/29/2012, 11:05 AM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/29/2012, 01:40 AMwhat is evo on the snes like? what kind of rpg is it?
It's an action RPG and every enemy you kill gives you evolution points to make your creature stronger. I highly recommend  it, very unique.
Great action RPG, I always thought the first half of the game is way better than the ending/second half, but all in all a great game.  Love the music!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

munchiaz

beat soul blazer tonight. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of the same, but it wasn't to long of a game. So it wasn't that bad to deal with. I think ill finally start playing castlevania lords of shadow now, especially because there's a sequel coming out on the 3DS

roflmao

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 05/29/2012, 04:12 PMGreat game, and look here for a way to play it with regular controllers....lol
Haha!  Yeesh....

Jugbug

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2012, 09:15 AMI've been playing some Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles lately.  Just finished the first year this morning.  It's growing on me.  I wish the multi-player portion of the game could be played without all the extra hardware; requiring GC-GBA Link Cables and GBAs for each player is pretty retarded.
I enjoyed Crystal Chronicles and thought the ending was pretty good.  I've never tried it multiplayer, despite having the gear for it.

I've recently been working on a refresher of the Tex Murphy series, on Pandora Directive now.

Lilgrafx

beat patapon today, I love this game! Also played extra inning baseball on the SNES. I played two games with my brother and kicked his ass in both. This is by far my favorite sports game, I was shocked to find a baseball game that didn't suck ass.

PikachuWarrior

Last few weeks, I beat Ys Books 1 and 2 and Exile. Exile was okay. The game was fun/easy, but in the end, was uninspiring storywise.

Hooked my jvc x'eye back up and was playing a little of Popful Mail. Man, this game is hard.
IMG

Lilgrafx

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 06/01/2012, 06:43 PMExile was okay. The game was fun/easy, but in the end, was uninspiring storywise.
Really? I always thought that Exile had a pretty cool story, just the fact that it takes place in the middle east is pretty unique.

Mathius

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 06/01/2012, 07:41 PM
Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 06/01/2012, 06:43 PMExile was okay. The game was fun/easy, but in the end, was uninspiring storywise.
Really? I always thought that Exile had a pretty cool story, just the fact that it takes place in the middle east is pretty unique.
The Japanese version's story is much more interesting.

Jugbug

I've been meaning to get around to Exile one day.  Is the story in the English version really changed that much?  I was under the impression it was a fairly accurate translation but with some censored words, like religious terms, etc.

Mathius

Quote from: Jugbug on 06/02/2012, 12:03 AMI've been meaning to get around to Exile one day.  Is the story in the English version really changed that much?  I was under the impression it was a fairly accurate translation but with some censored words, like religious terms, etc.
Here is an excellent article detailing the series.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/exile/exile.htm

Digi.k

Played a little on the lil' pc engine today. Parodius Da!, Salamander and parasol stars.

ah man.. I feel like my life is going to waste away and my uni grades projects will end up failing from now on..

Bloody Phantasy Star Online..  the 2nd game and japanese beta.. got me hooked all over again since Dreamcast/Gamecube versions...

IMG

IMG

IMG

NightWolve

Hmm, that looks like fun. I gotta sit down and get into an epic RPG some time. I've been easing myself back into gaming with relatively short action games that I've yet to play on my PS2.

Ji-L87

How is the new PSO? I've seen some trailers but I'd rather hear from someone who actually tried it. :P

I've played a bit of the original (on pc, not online) and the later PSU games on PS2 & PSP (also a little on the DS). It never really clicked with me in the end, but it's always been easy for the series to drag me in. I guess I just dig the visuals and character customization options. I realized when I played PS Portable 2 that slight gameplay improvements had been made, but many of the things I felt was wrong deep down with the game was still there.

For example, the feeling of disconnection between the story they're trying to tell (cutscenes and all) and the actual missions you do. Not to mention dull level design. Basically just a number of rooms or areas connected together with doors, a maze if you will. Maybe sometime you need to find a switch to press. The enviroments always look good, but you don't actually get to go anywhere interesting, just study it from afar. Now, Monster Hunter also divides a bigger area into smaller ones but that's OK because each area of the map is (more or less) unique, with different terrain and atmosphere.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Digi.k

very action orientated and more faster action / arcadey than the original.  Quite a bit of customisation and from what I have heard no monthly fees although you can bet some stuff will require real life money in order to be purchased.

Lots of menus and stats to look at too and there are tonnes of quests on there.. all in japanese right now..

Right now it's like a mixture of phantasy star universe and the original phantasy star online..  At first I thought it was your typical generic anime looking mmorpg but I am starting to like the look.

Ji-L87

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/27/2012, 09:46 AMvery action orientated and more faster action / arcadey than the original.  Quite a bit of customisation and from what I have heard no monthly fees although you can bet some stuff will require real life money in order to be purchased.

Lots of menus and stats to look at too and there are tonnes of quests on there.. all in japanese right now..

Right now it's like a mixture of phantasy star universe and the original phantasy star online..  At first I thought it was your typical generic anime looking mmorpg but I am starting to like the look.
Sounds interesting. I too heard that it became free to play, and well, "freemium" games have their good and bad points. I suppose there isn't a way to get onboard the japanese beta now? :P
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Digi.k

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 06/27/2012, 10:41 AMSounds interesting. I too heard that it became free to play, and well, "freemium" games have their good and bad points. I suppose there isn't a way to get onboard the japanese beta now? :P
you can try... There is about 4~5 hours worth of game to download.. and once that has downloaded there is another 3gig of data to further download for patching...

most english players are on ship 2 or ship 10 ... Ship 2 is very crowded.

This sega's site for creating a SEGA ID
https://iway.isao.net/sega/mail_in.cgi?siteno=

this guide for navigating through it.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-registration-guide/

PSO2 guide period!
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

Ji-L87

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/27/2012, 10:55 AM
Quote from: Ji-L87 on 06/27/2012, 10:41 AMSounds interesting. I too heard that it became free to play, and well, "freemium" games have their good and bad points. I suppose there isn't a way to get onboard the japanese beta now? :P
you can try... There is about 4~5 hours worth of game to download.. and once that has downloaded there is another 3gig of data to further download for patching...

most english players are on ship 2 or ship 10 ... Ship 2 is very crowded.

This sega's site for creating a SEGA ID
https://iway.isao.net/sega/mail_in.cgi?siteno=

this guide for navigating through it.
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-registration-guide/

PSO2 guide period!
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/
Thanks a bunch! :D

Registered and downloading nao!
CHECKPOINT!

geise

Lollipop Chainsaw!  I first saw this game and was like "this is going to be fucking stupid".  Then I saw the company that made it.  Checked out some videos and thought it looked like fun.  I got it and holy hell I love it.  It's been a long long time since I've gotten into a next gen console game.  It's so over the top that I really really love it.  You can  tell it's made by a group that just loves old school games, zombies, gore, and T&A.  Tons of fun.

roflmao

I just finished Mass Effect 2 on the PC.  Man, what an awesome game with such an anti-climatic ending.  The last couple of days I've been glued to this game.  Guess I'll have to play ME3 to see how it really ends.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2012, 09:23 PMI just finished Mass Effect 2 on the PC.  Man, what an awesome game with such an anti-climatic ending.  The last couple of days I've been glued to this game.  Guess I'll have to play ME3 to see how it really ends.
ME2 has a lot more polish but I still prefer ME1 for the story and exploration.  ME3 is a fine game and strangely I do actually like the final ending.. but because it didn't go well with everyone they had to remake the ending which you should be able to download.. I got it sitting on my 360 hard drive but yet to replay that last bit..

oh and @ Ji-L87  Sega are doing a 27 hour maintenance starting from now.. so no pso2 action for a long time..

Ji-L87

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/28/2012, 05:00 AMoh and @ Ji-L87  Sega are doing a 27 hour maintenance starting from now.. so no pso2 action for a long time..
Gwah! And I just finished patching during the night : |
CHECKPOINT!

TR0N

Famicom
The Goonies II

Genesis
Keio Flying Sqaudron
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Famicom
Commando (oddly love this flawed port, probably because I played NES version way more than arcade)
Hogan's Alley (still love this)

Genesis
Shadow of the Beast (still can't get too far past electric bolt things)

PCE
Psychic Storm (too easy, could have been a real gem)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG