playing through Ys Book 1 & 2 again...

Started by tpivette, 08/31/2012, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

I started over in this game again, mostly because its really fun to play (I kinda love running into monsters to kill them, its addicting), but also because when I sold my PC Engine Duo, I lost my save. I'm playing it again on my Turbo/CD combo now (which I'm never gonna sell, so no lost saves).

It took me no time at all to wipe out everything in the Shrine and find all the Silver equipment (tho, I remember thinking they should have called this game "Keys"... I mean I found 5 of them in the Shrine alone!), and am now in the Mine. So I plowed through that area fairly easy and got to the boss... ugh. It was that damn bird guy that splits into bats... I HATE that guy! Took me almost a day of off and on playing the first time to beat him! Anyone else have problems with this bastard? I can't wait to move past him and go to Darm tower...

EDIT: I leveled up til the Firebird enemies only give me 1 Ex point (I have 90 Hp)... time to try again
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

turboswimbz

Already way ahead of me, haven't had much time to play.  at the end of the shrine.  although I really just started today.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

tpivette

YES! Beat the damn bird-man! Finally found his weakness... his freaking head. targeted that, and he fell in an instant. Onwards to Darm tower...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

tpivette

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/31/2012, 08:43 PMAlready way ahead of me, haven't had much time to play.  at the end of the shrine.  although I really just started today. 
Having fun with it? Ys is a cool game. I wish I could've afforded a CD system when I was a kid.. I would've LOVED to play this game when it was released.

Thats about what I have into this game so far (about a day or so)... I guess I have an advantage though. I played it before, so I can breeze through it in a day or two. I'm on my second day now and probably gonna finish "Book 1" tonight

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Keranu

Reading first time playthroughs of Ys makes me happy :) . Ahh, a gaming experience like no other.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

turboswimbz

Yeah. It was a bit strange at first, took a while to get use to it.  For a while there I just couldn't figure out how to move the story forward, just missed a key, but now that I'm into the story it's a really cool game to stumble across.  I remember going store to store to try to find the CD unit with my dad when i was little, I woulda loved this too.  I was a good part through the mine but, I got fustrated and hit the controller down softly no less, but forgot in my rush not to slam the controller down that when you hit the start and select button together you get a reset.  :(  ahhh at least it'll be easier this time.  

Update:  deep in the darm tower, so many up and downs, think I just got attacked by a praying mantis. Hit detection so strange for some enemies.  To go level up some or just try to take him down?  Some serious strategy in this game I see.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Dyna138

Quote from: tpivette on 08/31/2012, 08:09 PMIt took me no time at all to wipe out everything in the Shrine and find all the Silver equipment (tho, I remember thinking they should have called this game "Keys"... I mean I found 5 of them in the Shrine alone!), and am now in the Mine. So I plowed through that area fairly easy and got to the boss... ugh. It was that damn bird guy that splits into bats... I HATE that guy! Took me almost a day of off and on playing the first time to beat him! Anyone else have problems with this bastard? I can't wait to move past him and go to Darm tower...

EDIT: I leveled up til the Firebird enemies only give me 1 Ex point (I have 90 Hp)... time to try again
Yeah I found that to be the hardest boss in the game. Did you get the silver sword? Getting that sword makes a big difference when fighting the boss. I always like in YS no matter how much you level up it can still be challenging in places unlike a lot of other RPGs where you can overpower your characters and plow through everything.

turboswimbz

Had a great time with the game last night/this morning, before fitting in family stuff, half way through book 2 now.  I found that the bats were pretty hard, in fact compared to the others, which i defeated all with 1 try.  I found that if you timed it right and actually ran in front across him or at his head, the hit detects much better than coming in for a stab and dash. (sometimes there would be two quick hits) he falls pretty quickly.  Love that his game makes you find the right strategy for each villian.

BigusSchmuck

Turn up the music in this game. Not kind of loud, BUT REALLY LOUD. It was the whole reason why I got a Duo in the first place. I'll probably play it all the way through again once we get a English dub of Ys IV. :)

tpivette

The music is awesome. I play it pretty loud until my son goes to bed, then I have to dial it back a bit.

Didn't have much time to play the last day or so, so I'm only a little ways through Book 2 as of now. Gonna get some serious playtime with this one today, as its raining outside pretty hard and I guess the outdoor chores will have to wait :dance:

Is there an english translation in the works for Ys 4? I have the PC Engine game, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: tpivette on 09/02/2012, 12:23 PMThe music is awesome. I play it pretty loud until my son goes to bed, then I have to dial it back a bit.

Didn't have much time to play the last day or so, so I'm only a little ways through Book 2 as of now. Gonna get some serious playtime with this one today, as its raining outside pretty hard and I guess the outdoor chores will have to wait :dance:

Is there an english translation in the works for Ys 4? I have the PC Engine game, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Its been translated for quite some time now. The only thing that is left to do are the spoken parts and I believe those are being dubbed as we speak.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/514/

tpivette

Playing this a bit more... at the part where I explore the house where the monsters swarm out of the wall when you ring the Evil Bell. Just had the way to the shrine opened and am currently spamming the endless supply of monsters to level up to 45 and save enough money for the strongest equipment/items that are available in Rance Village before I continue on my journey...well, except the Life Drop. $60,000, holy shit!!!

IMG

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

esteban

I am with Keranu: I am so envious of folks who are playing through Ys I & II for the first 1-3 times.

FACT: Many folks will debate what the superior soundtracks are (Ys I & II vs. Ys III), but (two decades ago) I officially proclaimed that Ys I & II soundtrack is superior to all others. FACT.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

tpivette

I still need to pick up Ys 3 for the Turbo... but alas... cant find it for less than $50 :(

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: tpivette on 09/02/2012, 03:27 PMI still need to pick up Ys 3 for the Turbo... but alas... cant find it for less than $50 :(
I got mine for 20ish about 4 months back. Its possible to get it, just got to keep on looking and keep an eye out on these forums for sales. 9 times out of 10, the sales on these forums are usually cheaper than Ebay or Amazon so it may behoove you to wait.
But if you absolutely must have it, amazon has got a copy under $50:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001IZ093E/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

turboswimbz

The Shine is driving me crazy, I should have mapped this place out before running headstrong into it.

tpivette

I've looked on these forums... posted WTB ads, as have others since I've been looking, for this game. Have checked the sale forums almost every day. But I haven't seen anything come up. Been searching since I joined back in March. Nothing yet.

Guess I'll keep waiting...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

turboswimbz

hmmmm. YS 3, something tells me I'll be wanting this when I'm done. Is there a minimum level to finish book II?, just wondering based on the boss battles and the amount of damage I'm doing.

tpivette

Just left Burn Village, now off to rescure the bridge operator's son. There's an item that I remember getting to get past the area with the super hot temps... can't remember where I found it in my first playthrough. The search begins

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

turboswimbz

ahhhh yes, the duck demon saga, loved that.  I'm off to drain the canals.

tpivette

Yeah, figured it out... talked to the weird duck "goons" and turns out I had the item in my possession all along. Just didn't know it neutralized the hot gases!

Rescued the kid, and just arrived back in Burn Village to talk to the father to move on to the next area

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

turboswimbz

Finished the game.  compared to other TG games, This game is by far the best I've played, I see why people re-play it.  I think I did find some flaws with it, but they are so petty, I don't think they are worth listing.  The game really has a charm all it's own which is always a great thing.  very compelling story as well, so many games leave out and sort of personality to the characters. 
   I did find all the backtracking at the end of the story a little daunting, Am I the only one who found the belfry to be completely unnecessary?

tpivette

Great... theres backtracing? Can you use the Teleport magic to get where you need to go, or is there literally alot of actual walking you have to do?

I finished up last night by getting through the Shrine, now I have to find the escaped prisoners in the canals...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

turboswimbz

You can warp say to ramaia, or a couple spots within the shrine, but then you have to walk to a certain spot in the shrine... I found it forces you to remember where you saw/heard things to get back to that part of the shrine and grab what you need, warp and repeat. [which kinda stinks especially for just a grab and go as there are few battles and enemies other than in the outside of the shrine.]  Basically they build one hell of a suspense once you get into the shrine to gather what you need for the final battle. In all I think I spent about 1/2 of my game time in book 2 on the shrine.

yeah every time you think you've gotten all the shrine has to offer this game throws something new on you I found. But the story from where you are is pretty freaking good. and the this canal task will give you an idea of the type of backtracking that you have to do.

fraggore

Quote from: tpivette on 09/02/2012, 02:37 PMPlaying this a bit more... at the part where I explore the house where the monsters swarm out of the wall when you ring the Evil Bell. Just had the way to the shrine opened and am currently spamming the endless supply of monsters to level up to 45 and save enough money for the strongest equipment/items that are available in Rance Village before I continue on my journey...well, except the Life Drop. $60,000, holy shit!!!

IMG
i always hogged at that point, man i finished this game about 12 times when i was younger got addicted and loved it, i really fancy playing it again now awesome game with stunning music.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

fraggore

Quote from: tpivette on 09/02/2012, 04:25 PMI've looked on these forums... posted WTB ads, as have others since I've been looking, for this game. Have checked the sale forums almost every day. But I haven't seen anything come up. Been searching since I joined back in March. Nothing yet.

i know a shop that has it in wales for £29.99 they may ship it to you worth a ask.
http://www.otakuzoku.com/page5.php

tpivette

Quote from: fraggore on 09/03/2012, 02:22 PM
Quote from: tpivette on 09/02/2012, 04:25 PMI've looked on these forums... posted WTB ads, as have others since I've been looking, for this game. Have checked the sale forums almost every day. But I haven't seen anything come up. Been searching since I joined back in March. Nothing yet.

i know a shop that has it in wales for £29.99 they may ship it to you worth a ask.
http://www.otakuzoku.com/page5.php
Wonder what shipping would be. $29.99 euros is around $38 dollars. Add shipping to america and it probably totals close to the $50 I've seen it go for on ebay

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

fraggore

turboswimbz

I so want to run into things at full run with a sword now.