Ys series what ones do you like.

Started by fraggore, 04/23/2013, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraggore

hello everyone i have recently been playing the ys games and are wondering what people think of them. i have just played through Ys 1 and 2 again and after like 15 years i still really enjoyed playing then fun to play, so i thought i would try some of the other games and see if they were up to the quality of 1 and 2 so here we go.

Ys 3 i gave it a go mmm not liking it scrolling is a bit crap plays ok but just doesn't have sparkle that 1 and 2 have so should i moved on or stick with it.

Ys 4 got my self a translated copy put it in the duo first thoughts ohhh this looks nice a bit improvement on the first too, so proceeded to play enjoyable good music plays like the first game seems good fun, so i have played it for about 10 maybe 12 hours just got past the stone\ice guardian the one where you have to hit the guy in ice spinning around pain in the arse had to do some serious grinding to get past him. its a good game but seems a bit lacking something can put my finger on it and i still think 1 and 2 are better, properly just me as from what i can see everyone loves it so i am i just missing something and should i stick with it ?.

Ys 5 haven't played.

Ys 6 only played it briefly looks good i got the pc version installed and ready to when i got time.

Ys 7 havent played it i hered its been released on pc so hope there is a translation at some point.

Ys origin just played through it have to say i loved it plays realy well cool guardians nice graphics and there a really good translation for it.

Ys The Oath in Felghana remakee of 3 i believe i have this on my pc haven't got around to playing it much but it looks really nice.

Ys Memories of Celceta vita havent played as i dont own a vita but looks pretty dame good i want to play it.

Ys Strategy ds havent seen or played it so is it worth getting i do have a ds.

Ys Chronicles Plus I and 2 remakes of the first 2 ys games and a re branding and touch up on the first released Ys chronicles for pc, both games look very nice and have just been put on steam translated i got them installed and plan to play through both.

I know there is a few other games don't know much about them or is they have been translated here is the list.

Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand Ps2

Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga Psp

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun - A New Theory Ps2

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun Super famicom

Ys V: Ushinawareta Suna no Miyako Kefin Super famicom

Ys online

Thew that was a big list, so have any of you played some of the games what ones do you think are best, whats been translated, are the pc engine\tg 16 games still considered the best  and any recommendation on what ones i should play.

I know a lot of these games are not on the engine but that where it started for me my love of Ys games tho thinking about it i played 1 on the master system first, but it was the tg16 version that got me hooked as i must of played through 1 and 2 like 15 times so would be cool to here your opinions on the Ys series.

P.S i know it started on the PC-8801 but i don't live in japan or understand moon language i should try and learn.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Arkhan Asylum

I demand you fix the title of this thread, right now.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 04/23/2013, 03:23 PMI demand you fix the title of this thread, right now.
+327846102753025734
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

_Paul

Quote from: turboswimbz on 04/23/2013, 03:29 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/23/2013, 03:23 PMI demand you fix the title of this thread, right now.
+327846102753025734
+googol

Only then can we begin a civilised discussion.

Psycho Punch

I like Ys, but I'm not sure if I experienced any of the games from the Y.S series.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

fraggore

Quote from: guest on 04/23/2013, 03:23 PMI demand you fix the title of this thread, right now.
hows that.

_Paul

Quote from: fraggore on 04/23/2013, 03:40 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/23/2013, 03:23 PMI demand you fix the title of this thread, right now.
hows that.
Ah, I can breathe out now.

Ys 1 & 2 by far the best in the series. PCE version amazing, PC Ys Eternal amazing, yet somehow missing some of the dramatic feeling of the PCE version which is odd.

Ys 3 is an odd one, but the music makes it great and it's still hugely addictive and fun.

Ys 4. I'm still playing through the translation and I'm finding myself in agreement with you. There's just something missing - it seems more like a constant grind to the next area than a story. I'm actually considering downgrading the rating on my site.

Ys 7 was decent, some nice references to the old ones, but lacking in a really compelling story I felt.

Oath in Felghana is brilliant purely because it expands and fills in the Ys 3 storyline, making it much more interesting.

Ys Origin is very very very very awesome. Although it's almost a remake of the original Ys puzzles, the story is fantastic as it fills in a lot of history - and you have to play through as every character to really get the most from it. Fact is real fun, almost like playing a shooter.

fraggore

yea 4 seems like a grind to me as well evey time i get a bit more into it i have to spend an age grinding.

mmm didn't know you could play different characters on origin i am going to have to go back to than, really fun game plays well.

_Paul

Quote from: fraggore on 04/23/2013, 04:08 PMmmm didn't know you could play different characters on origin i am going to have to go back to than, really fun game plays well.
Each character on Origin fills in a little bit more of the overall plot. It's clever and really very good. I had misgivings before I played it because it sounded like a whole game set in a tower was going to be dull. Not true.

NecroPhile

I've only played through I - IV on the Turbob and Ys Chronicles on the PSP (so far), and I think they're all fucking great.  If you think Ys III sucks or that Ys IV plods along, please go fuck yourself.   :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VestCunt

Love all of the TurboGrafx games. Got IV on the SNES for a few bucks, but I have no patience stumbling through RPG's I can't read.
Topic Adjourned.

geise

+ infinity to verything sunteam_paul said.

Sadler

Ys I & II are awesome, but I'm gonna say it. I think they may be a wee bit overrated on this forum. Like I said, great games, but c'mon, they aren't better than IV. And here's where I blow minds: III is probably my favorite. The scrolling is fine, give it up already. It doesn't detract from the game and honestly I think it looks nice in a lot of areas. I'm also a sucker for side scrolling action RPGs. :)

CrackTiger

I don't understand the comments about Ys IV being more of a grind and/or being less of a story than I & II. The original was a one off game that was almost all grinding gameplay. Ys II was a huge expansion in every way, but still almost completely gameplay driven. The PCE version tacks on voice acting and a bit of cinema art, but The Dawn of Ys is still practically a digicomic compared to PCE Ys I & II. And although Ys IV packs well balanced gameplay variety, the weakest aspect is only that it's way too easy and the only grinding I have to do is when I reach a boss too soon and am not allowed to damage it. As amazing as Dawn of Ys is in general, it still incorporates and celebrates I & II, making it the ultimate Ys game and harder for me to appreciate the many remakes and sequels that followed.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TR0N

Quote from: fraggore on 04/23/2013, 03:21 PMYs 7 havent played it. i heard its been released on PC so hope there is a translation at some point.
Ys 7 is a psp exclusive no pc release for the u.s any ways. Still out of the original series my most favorites are Ys 1&2 and IV. As for III it's the one i like the least of them all. I just all ways thought Ys III could have been more. You really should try,Ys III remake the oath in felghana it's a more complete game.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

fraggore

Quote from: TR0N on 04/24/2013, 02:10 AM
Quote from: fraggore on 04/23/2013, 03:21 PMYs 7 havent played it i hered its been released on pc so hope there is a translation at some point.
Quote from: fraggore on 04/23/2013, 03:21 PMYs 7 havent played it i hered its been released on pc so hope there is a translation at some point.
Ys 7 is a psp exclusive no pc release for the u.s any ways.Still out of the original series my most favorites are Ys 1&2 and IV.As for III it's the one i like the least of them all.I just all ways thought Ys III could have been more.You really should try,Ys III remake the oath in felghana it's a more complete game.
There is a Chinese release on pc i found few sites to buy it, and people have used the psp game to translate it from what i am reading.

I got oath in felghana installed on my pc ready play when i got time does looks good.

TR0N

Quote from: fraggore on 04/24/2013, 03:00 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 04/24/2013, 02:10 AM
Ys 7 is a psp exclusive no pc release for the u.s any ways.Still out of the original series my most favorites are Ys 1&2 and IV.As for III it's the one i like the least of them all.I just all ways thought Ys III could have been more.You really should try,Ys III remake the oath in felghana it's a more complete game.
There is a Chinese release on pc i found few sites to buy it, and people have used the psp game to translate it from what i am reading.

I got oath in felghana installed on my pc ready play when i got time does looks good.
Yeah i was reading that Ys 7 had a pc release in china.I had no idea,that the psp version translation was being used as a patch.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

whisper2053

Well, to be honest, the only Ys game that I've played to date was III way way back on the snes when I was a kid. I am currently sitting on III and IV for my duo though, and waiting on I & II to get here. Once that happens, I will start my planned pce Ys marathon and work my way through the saga...perhaps then I will have a better opinion on the games. Wish me luck, I've a feeling it is going to be fun :)
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

RyuHayabusa

Ys I&II for the Turbo is still my favorite, partly due to nostalgia, partly due to the soundtrack which I say is the best Ys music ever. Oath in Felghana is a close second. As much as I love Ys III, Oath improves on it so much and that's saying a lot for me to like a remake better than the original. Gamplay, graphics, story, everything is great. Ys IV is my third fav. Another great soundtrack, improved graphics, but the story isn't quite as good.

fraggore

Quote from: whisper2053 on 04/24/2013, 04:20 AMWell, to be honest, the only Ys game that I've played to date was III way way back on the snes when I was a kid. I am currently sitting on III and IV for my duo though, and waiting on I & II to get here. Once that happens, I will start my planned pce Ys marathon and work my way through the saga...perhaps then I will have a better opinion on the games. Wish me luck, I've a feeling it is going to be fun :)
good luck will be interesting to here you thoughts after completing all 4 may take awhile tho.

termis

Ahhhh, I'm not a grammar Nazi, but seriously... Punctuation marks.  Use them.

Anyway, only played I-IV on Turbo/PCE, and couple others (I on SMS, III on Genesis).  Part I/II to this day stands out as the one being most memorable.  III was an okay game it its own right, but it's definitely the black sheep of the series.  Part IV has some really high production values, but it really wasn't as groundbreaking as the original Turbo I/II.

Recent stuff looks pretty good, but just not enough time/interest to get into the new stuff these days...

PunkCryborg

I've only played I-IV and I dont have any nostalgia since I played the first one only about 2 or 3 years ago. I think IV was the best and one of the top 5 best pce games ever. I also really enjoyed III a bunch, especially the music. I+II were really rad but I got bored with the repetitious style of the caves and the extremely long fortress at the end was just dragging for me.
I dont know what to play next though since I'd like to continue with the series.

fraggore

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/24/2013, 09:22 AMI've only played I-IV and I dont have any nostalgia since I played the first one only about 2 or 3 years ago. I think IV was the best and one of the top 5 best pce games ever. I also really enjoyed III a bunch, especially the music. I+II were really rad but I got bored with the repetitious style of the caves and the extremely long fortress at the end was just dragging for me.
I dont know what to play next though since I'd like to continue with the series.
Go for origin if you can really good fun.

Nec.Game.head

So far I have only played through Ys Book 1&2, tried playing 3 wasn't too into it and I'm just about to start playing 4 with the English text patch .. At this point I am going to have to go with Ys Book 1&2 as my favorite of the series .. I haven't had a chance to start venturing into the other Ys Books for all the other consoles .. In due time I guess but first I gotta play through 4 first ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

roflmao

I love Ys Book I.  Often times I'll peter out before finishing Ys Book II, but it's still really awesome and worth finishing at least once, if only for the music. 

Ys Book III is growing on me.  Bitd I considered it sub-par and a disappointing sequel (I bought them both shortly after their release).  However, having replayed them all in recent history (some more than once), I find Ys III just as enjoyable to play as Ys I & II. 

I have a burned copy of the English translated version of Ys IV waiting to be played, but for some reason I want to pick up the actual game before I really dig into it.  If only for the awesome artwork. :)

fraggore

maybe form what most of you are saying, i should go back and give 3 another go.

Bardoly

Quote from: fraggore on 04/25/2013, 07:09 PMmaybe form what most of you are saying, i should go back and give 3 another go.
I really enjoyed Ys III for the TurboGrafx-16 a lot.  It's the only Ys game which I've beaten so far, although I plan to play through Ys Books I & II sometime in the not too distant future, and then I plan to play Ys IV sometime afterwards.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 04/24/2013, 09:22 AMI've only played I-IV and I dont have any nostalgia since I played the first one only about 2 or 3 years ago. I think IV was the best and one of the top 5 best pce games ever. I also really enjoyed III a bunch, especially the music. I+II were really rad but I got bored with the repetitious style of the caves and the extremely long fortress at the end was just dragging for me.
Play Ys VI on PS2.   It's glorious.

whisper2053

Well, I just finished (I think) Book I on pce. I am in the tower now so I am guessing that is the start of Book II? Anyway, the game thus far has been a complete and utter delight. I admit that I had my reservations about the so-called 'bump' thing being potentially not fun/silly, but once I got into the swing of things the game just kind of...I dunno, flows, for want of a better word. Needless to say, I have been having a blast with it!

Also, shout-out to kidpanda from ng.com for helping me score the silver sword before I moved on to Book II lol. I never would have found the damned thing otherwise (not using walkthroughs or anything). Thanks man!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: whisper2053 on 04/28/2013, 02:16 AMWell, I just finished (I think) Book I on pce. I am in the tower now so I am guessing that is the start of Book II? Anyway, the game thus far has been a complete and utter delight. I admit that I had my reservations about the so-called 'bump' thing being potentially not fun/silly, but once I got into the swing of things the game just kind of...I dunno, flows, for want of a better word. Needless to say, I have been having a blast with it!

Also, shout-out to kidpanda from ng.com for helping me score the silver sword before I moved on to Book II lol. I never would have found the damned thing otherwise (not using walkthroughs or anything). Thanks man!
Beat the tower, then you move on to Ys II! There is a nice cinema to reward you after you beat the big bad boss at the top o' the tower.

DUDE, you have no idea. Awesome moments await you. And lots and lots of floor-climbing. Darm Tower is a veritable mountain you must methodically scale and overcome. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

whisper2053

Sweet! I was really hoping that wasn't 'it' to get in there. I knew the game was supposed to be short, but that just seemed silly. Good to know I have many floors to climb still before I finish Book I :D
IMG

Kidpanda

Yea Darm Tower is as long as the first half of the game lol! Glad you like it Whisp. People are very polarized on the series in general. I'm just glad I got to play on the SMS WAAAAYYYY bitd and then moved on to the PCE one several years later due to a friend having the TG-16 and CD addon ;)

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: guest on 04/26/2013, 03:03 PM
No, play Ys VI on the PC with the English patch. Much better graphics, no horrible load times, awesome anime style intro instead of the CG shitty rendered intro, and the original Adol sprite. Konami really screwed the pooch with the PS2 port.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 04/28/2013, 07:48 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/26/2013, 03:03 PM
No, play Ys VI on the PC with the English patch. Much better graphics, no horrible load times, awesome anime style intro instead of the CG shitty rendered intro, and the original Adol sprite. Konami really screwed the pooch with the PS2 port.
There were horrible load times?

I don't remember that.  I beat the game in one sitting though.

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Arkhan Asylum

My order is:

1, 2, 3, 4 , 5, 6 , 7 etc because the only way to enjoy Ys is in order.

_Paul

Quote from: whisper2053 on 04/28/2013, 02:16 AMWell, I just finished (I think) Book I on pce. I am in the tower now so I am guessing that is the start of Book II?
The tower is the last half of Ys I.

EDIT: Whoops, bit late in reply there. Never mind.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2013, 12:30 AM
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 04/28/2013, 07:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/26/2013, 03:03 PM
There were horrible load times?

I don't remember that.  I beat the game in one sitting though.
Yeah, you're right. It's the PSP port I'm thinking about. The PC version is still the best though.