10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbo CD Starts to spin for a second, then stops.

Started by Capitalistix, 06/19/2013, 01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capitalistix

Hey y'all! Im kinda new here but Ive been lurking around for a few weeks. I have a conundrum and I figured Id consult the numerous gurus around these parts.

Let me start from the beginning I guess. A couple of weeks ago I took my Turbo Grafx + CD out of storage and the disk wouldnt spin. I opened it up, pushed the laser motor gears with my fingers and loosened them up, reassembled and it worked just fine... until I let it sit for more than 20 minutes and it seemed to get stuck again. My gear wasn't torn up or disintegrated, but I decided to fix that culprit before it became a problem even further, by buying a replacement gear (removing the notorious bad gear and installing the 2 gear simpler mechanism and reversing laser motor polarities) I  actually bought the new gear for my Turbo CD ROM unit off of Keith Courage and it after installing it it seems to do its job correctly in moving the laser. However, Whenever I put a disc in audio or game and hit the run button, the "PC" becomes visible, and the disc starts to spin for a split-second and stops so the cd just coasts to a stop...

I am now thinking that this must be a spindle motor problem, but I have no real way of telling. I am thinking of buying a spindle motor from radioshack soon and attempting a replace. Can anyone tell me if theyve had a similar issue?

Keith Courage

Usually the spindle motors do not go bad. In fact, I've never seen a bad one. Double check that you re-installed the lens ribbon cables correctly. I've seen many people put them in backwards. If it barely spins and then stops then the spindle is still good. There is another reason the CDs are not being read.

Capitalistix

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/19/2013, 03:06 AMUsually the spindle motors do not go bad. In fact, I've never seen a bad one. Double check that you re-installed the lens ribbon cables correctly. I've seen many people put them in backwards. If it barely spins and then stops then the spindle is still good. There is another reason the CDs are not being read.
Well Ill be a monkey's uncle. You were right. The thick ribbon cable was in backwards. The "correct" way doesnt even make sense, its all twisted, but it works great! Thanks so much =]

turbokon

Glad to hear you got it working. Yeah Keithcourage is one of our residency guru's when it comes to the cd-rom2 units. Working on these are a hit or miss for me.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com