RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Lucretia - Demon Princess (鬼姫の呪い in Japan) NOW IN BETA TESTING

Started by OldRover, 05/26/2013, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Quote from: guest on 06/28/2013, 10:31 AM
Quote from: Nando on 06/28/2013, 09:58 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/19/2013, 09:28 PMI like the new cutesy look of the characters. The first video with leggy hot chicks riding long poles was...interesting? But the cute look and spooky forest background is pretty sweet.

Also...pumpkin boss chick is awesome.

Can't wait!
Awesome! So happy you like them.  More whackyness to come.
Do you mean wackiness, or do you mean hitting things on the head with plastic mallets?
A little bit of column A and a little bit of column D and everything in between.

OldRover

This has been getting coverage left and right, and the response has been largely positive. There are some issues to address, and I realize that we can't please everyone, but one of the reasons for allowing the demo to circulate in the wild was for this very reason... to gauge public reaction. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Bardoly

I'm glad to see this progress!  I can't wait to see the finished product!

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 07/01/2013, 04:19 AMThis has been getting coverage left and right...
I am so happy that shoot-em-up fans of all political stripes are enjoying this game...  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2013, 05:28 AMI am so happy that shoot-em-up fans of all political stripes are enjoying this game...  :pcgs:
The left wants to take their shots away and pay more taxes, while the right wants them to put on more modest clothes and renounce their witchy ways. :lol:
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

OldRover

New video of the game. First level and part of the second level.

Mishran

Looking great and appears to pose a challenge to boot! Looking forward to this more the more I see. The quacking duck is the best. :lol:

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: OldRover on 07/04/2013, 05:23 PMNew video of the game. First level and part of the second level. https://youtu.be/_WsXlLw-7xI
Kewl, level 2's got some what I call pocket o' parallax! :D
IMG

Tatsujin

level 2 is turning out to be quite funny :)

Please also make the witch scaling down into that house at end of level 1 :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/04/2013, 11:21 PMlevel 2 is turning out to be quite funny :)

Please also make the witch scaling down into that house at end of level 1 :)
Yeah, I was wishing for something like when Zonk flies into the castle in the bg of the last world.
IMG

OldRover

Here's the whole game demo as it stands. It still has some minor glitches, and some enemies aren't quite complete yet (most notably, the stage 2 end boss), but it's playable. There are a couple of dead air moments in stage 2 that haven't been ironed out yet as well.

Tatsujin

all the sprites and artwork charas indispensably need black outline shadings :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/03/2013, 11:26 AM
Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2013, 05:28 AMI am so happy that shoot-em-up fans of all political stripes are enjoying this game...  :pcgs:
The left wants to take their shots away and pay more taxes, while the right wants them to put on more modest clothes and renounce their witchy ways. :lol:
Hahhahahaahaha!  :pcgs:

Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/05/2013, 03:04 AMHere's the whole game demo as it stands. It still has some minor glitches, and some enemies aren't quite complete yet (most notably, the stage 2 end boss), but it's playable. There are a couple of dead air moments in stage 2 that haven't been ironed out yet as well.
Recycling my comments: L'Gorgeous! I love the rubber duckies and, especially, the Cyclops Sun who not only carefully monitors the progress of our heroine, but changes his mood just prior to the SECOND BOSS (who complements the stage's theme nicely!) QUACK! ASIDE: The music accompanying this stage is L'EXQUISITE! True story.

In a word (or so)—Lucretia is fucking awesome.

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

spenoza

A few comments...

Looks like level 1 is just a bit on the hard side. Level 2 appears quite a bit easier until later in the level. Might be good to ease up a little at first to get people hooked. It also seems odd for me that there's no visual feedback on hitting an enemy. The sound effects are there, but there's no little hit graphic or sprite flash when enemies are hit with bullets. Something like that might be nice to consider. I see that the bosses flash, but the multi-hit enemies should probably provide some kind of visual feedback as well.

It is clear you've put a lot of time and energy into scrolling effects. They look quite nice.

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/05/2013, 03:08 AMall the sprites and artwork charas indispensably need black outline shadings :)
They do. Next demo ;)

Happy to read you are all enjoying it.

OldRover

I ran into the same problem with this game production as I had with MSR when it comes to ADPCM samples. At some point, ADPCM samples become noisy... it seems to be whenever 32KB is crossed. I am suspecting a bug somewhere in the toolchain but I have no way of verifying that. Similar problems happened early in MSR's development regarding graphics that were loaded from a data overlay... occasionally, they would have areas of corruption, with no obvious hint as to "why".

touko

Huum strange, i don't have this problem,or i never realized ..

when it occurs ?, early reading sample , end, in mid, or randomly ??

OldRover

It's hard to gauge specifically. I reorganized the sample bank and the noise went way down, to the point where it only affected a single sample, to which I could cut off playback slightly early since the noise was at its end and the next sample was not affected at all.

touko

ah ok your samples are stored in banks, not in overlay ??

if it's the case i have the same problem

OldRover

No, they are stored in overlays. "Sample bank" is just lingo for an organized collection of samples.

OldMan

QuoteNo, they are stored in overlays.
As in #incbin in a HuC program, then extracted when needed?
Or as in bundled together into a binary file, with that file being included as part of the isolink process?

touko

Quote from: OldRover on 07/14/2013, 11:23 AMNo, they are stored in overlays. "Sample bank" is just lingo for an organized collection of samples.
Ok, this not the same problem then  ..

OldRover

Quote from: TheOldMan on 07/14/2013, 01:04 PMAs in #incbin in a HuC program, then extracted when needed?
Or as in bundled together into a binary file, with that file being included as part of the isolink process?
The latter.

OldRover

turboswimbz

Nicely done, looks like this one is going to have some really fun bits of story/enemies.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arkhan Asylum

Is this problem happening on real hardware, or within emulators?

If it's emulators, which ones?

I've noticed that ADPCM behaves differently between the two in a few ways. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

I've only tested in mednafen so far; my Duo is in need of repair so I can't do hardware testing right now.

Mathius

Why am I now just seeing this thread?  :shock:

I had no idea of Lucretia's existence until an hour ago. When do pre-orders end? I can't afford one now but would really like to pre-order in two weeks.

Bardoly

Quote from: OldRover on 07/14/2013, 05:33 PMhttps://youtu.be/RatsCMe-3xg

New video that shows the backstory of the game.
Looks interesting.  I plan to preorder a copy when I can free up some funds.

One thing, could I put in a request that you make Lucretia less scary-looking?  I want for my young children to be able to play and/or watch me play.

Also, I don't remember if it were mentioned earlier, but 2-player simultaneous gameplay would simply be awesome.     [-o&lt;  [-o&lt;  [-o&lt;

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 07/14/2013, 05:33 PM
New video that shows the backstory of the game.
Magnificent, truly.

This is going to be a solid shoot-em-up, but the icing on the cake is how the delightfully dark (classic myth-making) storyline weaves everything together.

"Save the children!"

Indeed.

VestCunt

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/21/2013, 12:24 AM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 07/14/2013, 05:33 PM
One thing, could I put in a request that you make Lucretia less scary-looking?  I want for my young children to be able to play and/or watch me play.
When I watched the video last week, I smiled and thought how nice it was that VG censorship hysteria had moved on, leaving indie 8- and 16-bit developers to do whatever they want and allowing fans to be treated like adults.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

I am really digging the music during the title screen.

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 07/21/2013, 06:03 PM
One thing, could I put in a request that you make Lucretia less scary-looking?  I want for my young children to be able to play and/or watch me play.
When I watched the video last week, I smiled and thought how nice it was that VG censorship hysteria had moved on, leaving indie 8- and 16-bit developers to do whatever they want and allowing fans to be treated like adults.
I guess that it was a bit jaring to first see cute cartoon witches, then to see less cartoonish and more realistic artwork in a more scary (less cute) vein.  I will still support this project.  I just wanted to make a request.  I didn't need to mention children, so I withdraw that facet of my request, but because I personally do not prefer grotesque and 'scary' stuff, I still request an artwork change.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Bardoly on 07/21/2013, 07:43 PM
I guess that it was a bit jaring to first see cute cartoon witches, then to see less cartoonish and more realistic artwork in a more scary (less cute) vein.  I will still support this project.  I just wanted to make a request.  I didn't need to mention children, so I withdraw that facet of my request, but because I personally do not prefer grotesque and 'scary' stuff, I still request an artwork change.
I feel the same way, but there's almost always something I'm not into with anything I like, whether it be games, music, movies, etc.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/22/2013, 12:36 AM
Quote from: Bardoly on 07/21/2013, 07:43 PM
I feel the same way, but there's almost always something I'm not into with anything I like, whether it be games, music, movies, etc. 
PD and Bardoly are gonna hate me, but I want animated blood/rotting flesh added to all the static images in the backstory! MORE DRIPPING BLOOD.

:pcgs:

Lochlan

Please don't change anything about the art style, it's great and needs no modifications.

If anything, I'd like it to be more grotesque/scary, but I'll leave it up to the talented developers and artists to make their own decisions regarding the art style of their project.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Lochlan on 07/22/2013, 05:10 AMIf anything, I'd like it to be more grotesque/scary, but I'll leave it up to the talented developers and artists to make their own decisions regarding the art style of their project.
I think it was supposed to be originally, and then the cute em up thing got kind of tacked on after the fact.

Psycho Punch

I got to confess that I really wasn't expecting that first backstory's picture... it clashes with the cutesy style of the rest of the game, in my opinion.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Nando

Quote from: Lochlan on 07/22/2013, 05:10 AMPlease don't change anything about the art style, it's great and needs no modifications.

If anything, I'd like it to be more grotesque/scary, but I'll leave it up to the talented developers and artists to make their own decisions regarding the art style of their project.
Thanks!

It's all a WIP, I'm pretty much a N00b at pixeling. As for the Gore; we'll see. If it fits the lvl and the characters it will happen. This is my first quasi homage to Paul Robertson and all things JP and pixel.

A very tiny preview of things to come:
IMG

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

gore in a cute em up?

You can't do both.  You have to pick one.  Is it a cute em up, or is it a gore-fest with vampires and hell and shit.

Nando

Quote from: guest on 07/22/2013, 02:38 PMgore in a cute em up ?

You can't do both.  You have to pick one.  Is it a cute em up, or is it a gore-fest with vampires and hell and shit.
;)

Arkhan Asylum

Nando

Quote from: guest on 07/22/2013, 02:42 PMYeah but that's not really a "cute" movie .  
Cute can be the design, not just the theme. The Japanese do it all the time, but it would need a new classification, at least benefit from it  :-k

NecroPhile

Either style works for me, but you can't argue it's consistent.  The sprites and character portraits are colorful, cutesy, big eyed girls and the other stuff is drab colored, more realistically detailed, and proportioned like real humans - pick one and run with it!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VestCunt

I like the clash of cute TurboGrafx sprites and gory 3DO cutscenes. Reminds me of the Eighties: kids playing Dungeons and Dragons and SMS games like Miracle Warriors and Rastan with nude demons and harpies hidden in the manuals.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/22/2013, 03:33 PMEither style works for me, but you can't argue it's consistent.  The sprites and character portraits are colorful, cutesy, big eyed girls and the other stuff is drab colored, more realistically detailed, and proportioned like real humans - pick one and run with it!
I ALREADY PROPOSED THE SOLUTION: cute, animated dripping blood/guts added to the stock horror photos! BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

PRIORITY: the game itself (actual stages you play) are the priority, the cutscenes are just a bonus.

Don't worry about the cutscenes, people!  :pcgs:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: VestCunt on 07/22/2013, 04:45 PMkids playing Dungeons and Dragons and SMS games like Miracle Warriors and Rastan with nude demons and harpies hidden in the manuals.
but those games weren't trying to be cutesy. 

ParanoiaDragon

Meh, just have enemies burst open....& candy & chocolate drips & flies out of em'. :D
IMG