RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... BT passed away early 2023 from health problems. He was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

CD-ROM2 Replacement Gear

Started by Miomjon, 08/11/2013, 02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Miomjon

Hello, it's my first post so I apologise if I did something wrong or if somebody already talked about it (although I searched and I don't think anyone did).

So, I've just ordered the brass gears replacement sold by Fidde_se and the day after I've paid, I found that on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-gear-pinion-Nec-CD-rom-Player-Repair-part-CD-ROM-2-/151088559340?pt=FR_Jeux_Vid%C3%A9o_Contr%C3%B4leurs&hash=item232d9474ec an exact replacement of the CD-ROM2 middle gear!

Do you think it's legit? Worth it? Since I live in Europe and speak French, I've already stumbled upon things sold by them and I even once bought a couple of AC adapters that still work, so that and their 99.9% Positive Feedback would mean that I can trust them. However, since it's quite expensive (much more than what I've paid for the brass gears), I don't know if I should buy this one. Do you have any ideas? Does someone would like to try to get it?

I should also point out that according to their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/otakus.store.fanpage), this gear is available since July 24, or in other words not so long ago. They also say in their announcement that the gear is expensive because it costed them a lot to develop and produce, but if they sell a lot of them, the price will drop.

chop5

its very possible,i almost went that route to make replacements but it would have been too expensive so i developed the cheaper and most reliable of methods for the gear problem. but eventually i will be put out of business wich i hope.
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
IMG
tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

BlueBMW

Wow, over $30 a gear...

Chop5 and keith courage on this forum have alternate replacements that are a lot less than that.  The only benefit to that expensive one is that it would directly replace the original gear whereas these other solutions require some other changes as well.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc