RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

NEC's NID addon for the TG-16?

Started by Psycho Punch, 11/03/2013, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psycho Punch

I remember reading on an issue of EGM about the NID (New Interactive Display) video encoding that would make the TG-16 run 512 color videos at 30 FPS, with 60 minutes per disc, via a special addon/decoder... what happened to it? Anything ever surfaced from it?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 11/03/2013, 12:25 PMI remember reading on an issue of EGM about the NID (New Interactive Display) video encoding that would make the TG-16 run 512 color videos at 30 FPS, with 60 minutes per disc, via a special addon/decoder... what happened to it? Anything ever surfaced from it?
I remember asking Black Tiger about this years ago on the TG-16 yahoo group.

The sad thing is that I have forgotten anything I may have read about NID (I probably even asked if PC-FX and/or NEC's other hardware utilized it in some way).

FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

https://archives.tg-16.com/turbo_play_0005.htm#t08

NID is the last item listed in the TOC...this was from Winter CES 1991...

Also, it seems that page I linked to used to have my thoughts on NID, but I must have cut it out ..perhaps by accident?...

OLD POST ABOUT NID
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/03/2013, 01:42 PMTurbo Play #10 reveals some NID specs in response to a reader's question, but doesn't give any insights to the rumored device's fate.

http://DoxPhile/?action=magazines&magazine=1&issue=10&page=30
Good find.  :pcgs:

The sad thing is that NID probably, as suggested by editors, would have been used for things like Mad Dog McCree & Who Shot Johnny Rock? & worse...

We didn't need another port of Mad Dog McCree!

TheClash603

Never heard of this before.  Very cool stuff!

More info would be awesome!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 11/03/2013, 01:19 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 11/03/2013, 12:25 PMI remember reading on an issue of EGM about the NID (New Interactive Display) video encoding that would make the TG-16 run 512 color videos at 30 FPS, with 60 minutes per disc, via a special addon/decoder... what happened to it? Anything ever surfaced from it?
I remember asking Black Tiger about this years ago on the TG-16 yahoo group.

The sad thing is that I have forgotten anything I may have read about NID (I probably even asked if PC-FX and/or NEC's other hardware utilized it in some way).

FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

https://archives.tg-16.com/turbo_play_0005.htm#t08

NID is the last item listed in the TOC...this was from Winter CES 1991...

Also, it seems that page I linked to used to have my thoughts on NID, but I must have cut it out ..perhaps by accident?...

OLD POST ABOUT NID
You were on the old Yahoo group?  What was your name?  Black Tiger was Kabuki.  I think I was projectblowed_mc, unless I'm getting it mixed up with one of the other forums/groups...
IMG

SuperPlay

A little peek at the NID at Summer CES 1991

jump to 1:08

1991 Summer CES

Video uploaded by DigitalNeohuman

jlued686

I hope to god somebody has that Bonk suit stashed in their attic somewhere. That is amazing and hilarious.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Nulltard on 11/06/2013, 02:00 PMBoy, that's an inconspicuous addon that keeps with the PC Engine's "micro machine" theme... I wonder why it didn't make it to market?  I wonder if their 1,000:1 compression addon, the NNID, was the reason they abandoned the NID.  The NNID (new new interactive display) was also a tech marvel for packing such power into a diminutive package.... below is a rare photo of the NNID prototype.
nnid.webp
It's like they attached a Gretag photo machine to a PC engine.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

That's a sweet video!  I also so some dude sporting a TG16 windbreaker later on in the vid. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: SuperPlay on 11/06/2013, 01:42 PMA little peek at the NID at Summer CES 1991

jump to 1:08

1991 Summer CES

Video uploaded by DigitalNeohuman
I just watched a bunch of videos from this person...I had forgotten how many neat things he captured from CES...and it unleashed my own nightmares concerning the  lethal combination of Evander Holyfield + the Activator.
STOP IT. STOP THE DEMO. There were perhaps, a few people watching the demo (at the time of filming, anyway). I'm sure a crowd may have gathered for some of the demos throughout the day...but, damn!

It also made me wonder about the first video games to allow you to "reverse time"...
The time reversal cubes in Sega's Time Traveler (I never understood why folks loved this game...holographic displays were definitely kool in the early 90's, but I found the game itself to be stiff and disjointed. Plus I was an uber-frugal gamer and played cheap games (quarter), only occasionally splurging on more expensive titles). Before Sands of Time , what games allowed you to "rewind" and fix your mistakes. Of course, for TimeTraveller, it was simply a more creative way to allow you to continue (quarter feed). Reversing the video, a la laserdisc, totally fit the theme of the game and was a nice touch. So, what other early games allowed you to rewind time?

BACK ON TOPIC: We still need to find evidence that NEC did something with NID, even if it was a boring product (PC hardware for information kiosks) available only in Japan.

Sadly, I see lots of boring applications of NID making it to market (information kiosks) instead of something awesome (the ultimate animated digital comic).

turbokon

Damn, I wish I can build a time machine and travel back to 1991 and attend this event. Wait I think see me, I'm the one sporting that turbografx-16 sport jacket:)
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

TheClash603

The Activator was a piece of shit.  My friend got one and tried to pretend it was good, but every time he showed it to me or anyone else, we would just laugh at him.

Time Traveler was an awesome game.  Obviously the gameplay wasn't as tight as some of the other offerings at the time, but gameplay isn't what Time Traveler was trying to do.  It was a really awesome example of technology that wasn't available before Time Traveler (and somehow since?).  I used to pump quarters into that game at the local mall until my pocket was empty.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 11/10/2013, 04:32 PMThe Activator was a piece of shit.  My friend got one and tried to pretend it was good, but every time he showed it to me or anyone else, we would just laugh at him.

Time Traveler was an awesome game.  Obviously the gameplay wasn't as tight as some of the other offerings at the time, but gameplay isn't what Time Traveler was trying to do.  It was a really awesome example of technology that wasn't available before Time Traveler (and somehow since?).  I used to pump quarters into that game at the local mall until my pocket was empty.
Yes, Time Traveler absolutely had the "wow" factor...I was happy just watching others play, though, and saved my money for other games. Of course, if I didn't have to pay, you know I would have spent hours with it.  :pcgs:

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 11/10/2013, 04:32 PMThe Activator was a piece of shit.  My friend got one and tried to pretend it was good, but every time he showed it to me or anyone else, we would just laugh at him.
Indeed.  I actually picked one up a couple of years ago, only to have all sorts of problems with it.  Eventually that I discovered the popcorn ceiling in my damn house was part of the problem since it needs to reflect off the ceiling apparently!

Doesn't mean I totally didn't want one as a kid.  In fact, I remember trying to emulate the concept by playing Soul Edge on my PS1 with a DDR pad.  It was a horrible idea, not at least because I lumbered around like and ogre and kept making the PS1 skip.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/11/2013, 05:17 PM

Doesn't mean I totally didn't want one as a kid.  In fact, I remember trying to emulate the concept by playing Soul Edge on my PS1 with a DDR pad.  It was a horrible idea, not at least because I lumbered around like and ogre and kept making the PS1 skip.
Awesome. I never tried using DDR mats to play other games, you know I'm going to have to try this now (PS2 and Wii, here I come).

Also,  I didn't know that Activator relied on the ceiling, too. I wonder if that is true, or that you lived with a haunted popcorn ceiling (supernatural forces often disturb infrared devices).

OldMan

QuoteI never tried using DDR mats to play other games
It works okay for a few, but sucks for most. Trying to drive with it was funny :)

QuoteI didn't know that Activator relied on the ceiling, too.
Yeah, it bounces the beams off the ceiling. They 'recommend' a flat, white ceiling.
I never liked it, but it was fun to watch my niece kick butt on Eternal Champions with it.

TheClash603

I remember my friends and I would play ALL PS1 games with a steering wheel.  The shifter would often be up and down, with the wheel being left and right, with the pedals acting as the buttons.

Typically the guy that was best at the game would have to use the wheel to keep things competitive.