RPGs

Started by yoyo, 01/15/2014, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoyo

I just had a quick question, were there ever any RPGs in the light of the original Dragon Quest games (Dragon Quest I-IV mostly) on TG/PCE? I really enjoy that old charm RPGs from that time period have and really haven't stumbled across any similar games on the console. Gotta say, the RPGs I've found on it are pretty awesome, though.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
IMG

bob

Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Dragon Slayer are two licensed games that epitomize the 16 bit RPG of that style.
Mysterious Song is unlicensed but just like above, totally awesome.

Oh and Final Lap Twin quest mode.  :D

VestCunt

Yeah, Galem just about covered it. Most of the NEC console RPG's never left Japan and those that did require a CD player. The 2012 release Mysterious Song is the closest to Dragon Quest. The print run is now sold out, but a few copies remain at the big internet homebrew dealer. Also see Ys 1-2 and the recently-translated Ys IV. Neutopia 1-2 are Zelda clones, but may scratch the itch.
Topic Adjourned.

yoyo

Thanks a bundle guys. I have played the Ys games and I'm a massive fan of the whole series, never played one I don't like yet, Neutopia is also pretty sick and I have yet to finish the first (I'm on the 5th medallion); I've never played Mysterious Song and, even though it's unlicensed, I'll certainly check it out.

As for the Dragon Slayer games, I've checked out some of 'em but mostly older entries (the first release on PC-88 and MSX, as well as Xanadu, I also have Faxanadu on the NES and I finished it recently, and I checked out Romancia), I haven't played the PCE ones yet and I've been meaning to. I've actually never heard of Cosmic Fantasy 2, gonna look into that one.

Thanks again! I have some new tasty entrees to add to my plate! ;)
IMG

CrackTiger

Tengai Makyou is the closest thing you'll find. There's a reason that TMII was ranked the 12th best game of all time by Famitsu readers almost fifteen years later.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

yoyo

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2014, 12:31 AMTengai Makyou is the closest thing you'll find. There's a reason that TMII was ranked the 12th best game of all time by Famitsu readers almost fifteen years later.
Sweet, thanks! Heard of the series but never actually took a look into it. Guess it's high time I do.
IMG

Xak

Arunamu No Kiba is amazing if you know Japanese.

i dont , if you want a great Japanese RpG with a very basic translation , an almost beta version, i recommend Startling Odyssey 2 , its on PCE-CD. It has a fantranslation, the man put alot of blood sweat and tears for losers like us to enjoy.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

yoyo

Quote from: Xak on 01/17/2014, 01:14 PMArunamu No Kiba is amazing if you know Japanese.

i dont , if you want a great Japanese RpG with a very basic translation , an almost beta version, i recommend Startling Odyssey 2 , its on PCE-CD. It has a fantranslation, the man put alot of blood sweat and tears for losers like us to enjoy.
Thanks! I'll add that onto the list. Sadly I don't know Japanese, but I'd love to learn. Don't really know where to start unfortunately. At least there's somewhat a translation I can use :D Thanks for sharing.
IMG

CrackTiger

Fang of Alnam is a cool game, but there's a dozen games you would likely want to play before it.

There is a "Compendium of PCE RPG walkthtoughs" thread stickied in the PCE section with links to English walkthroughs for Japanese games (can't link to it on my phone).

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

pulstar

I really enjoyed the Tengai Makyo series and is about as old-school/Dragon Quest feeling RPG I've played on the PC Engine. Lots of guides etc about as well. I loved Manji Maru but my favourite was probably Kabuki Den because it was so wacky and crazy.

Edit: Forgot to say, the Cosmic Fantasy series is very much in the DQ vein as well. I think it's a nice series (even if the first one is very hard and grind-y in places) and you'll probably enjoy it if you enjoyed DQ.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Arkhan Asylum

Necromancer.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

yoyo

Appreciate the extra suggestions.
IMG

Xak

Susano o Densetsu
Sinibad

Wold Court Tennis has an Rpg mode

CrackTiger

Quote from: Xak on 01/20/2014, 09:34 PMSusano o Densetsu
Sinibad

Wold Court Tennis has an Rpg mode
I thought you couldn't/wouldn't play any RPGs in Japanese?

Xak

its a suggestion for topic poster, not me, didnt you reccomend japanese games as well? in fact you did so before me

NecroPhile

Quote from: Xak on 01/22/2014, 01:13 PMits a suggestion for topic poster, not me, didnt you reccomend japanese games as well? in fact you did so before me
The difference being that Black Tiger is recommending games he's played and presumably enjoyed, not just random titles of which he has no intelligent opinion.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Xak on 01/22/2014, 01:13 PMits a suggestion for topic poster, not me, didnt you reccomend japanese games as well? in fact you did so before me
Yes, games which I played through and can vouch for the quality of and also wrote detailed English walkthroughs for, so I know that the language barrier won't be an issue.

If he was simply looking for a list of RPGs on PC Engine, then all that would be needed is a link to pcecp.

Xak

Well i named good ones too, in fact you backed up one of my suggestions.

Anways a game you can beat with no japanese skills its action RpG called

BLOOD GEAR

incredible game

wildo2ne

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2014, 09:15 PMYeah, Galem just about covered it. Most of the NEC console RPG's never left Japan and those that did require a CD player. The 2012 release Mysterious Song is the closest to Dragon Quest. The print run is now sold out, but a few copies remain at the big internet homebrew dealer. Also see Ys 1-2 and the recently-translated Ys IV. Neutopia 1-2 are Zelda clones, but may scratch the itch.
since it is out of print now is there anywhere to get a download of Mysterious Song, I would like to give it a go

GohanX

...did you just seriously ask that?

wildo2ne

Quote from: JKM on 01/23/2014, 12:07 AM...did you just seriously ask that?
ok then where can I buy a copy? hell I will pay the developers for a download copy

wildo2ne

thats the thing I hate about limited releases, I don't find out about this game until several years after no copies are left. So what do you expect me to do except ask where I can get a hold of it to enjoy it. That is what games are made for is for people to enjoy them otherwise why make them.

GohanX

You go to the trading section and offer to buy the game. You don't ask to pirate something that other members spent years of they lives working on like a douche.

wildo2ne

Quote from: JKM on 01/23/2014, 12:57 AMYou go to the trading section and offer to buy the game. You don't ask to pirate something that other members spent years of they lives working on like a douche.
Don't give me attitude, like I said I am more then willing to pay the developers for a download iso since they won't print any more

wildo2ne

Think of it like this, there is only one statue of David but there are tons of small figurines that people can buy (and this is just one example) so should we not allow that stuff?

wildo2ne

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 01:35 AM
Quote from: JKM on 01/23/2014, 12:57 AMYou go to the trading section and offer to buy the game. You don't ask to pirate something that other members spent years of they lives working on like a douche.
Don't give me attitude, like I said I am more then willing to pay the developers for a download iso since they won't print any more
I apologize for getting nasty but no one gives me attitude unless they wanna throw down or get a gun in their face

Opethian

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 01:48 AM
I apologize for getting nasty but no one gives me attitude unless they wanna throw down or get a gun in their face
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 01:48 AMI apologize for getting nasty but no one gives me attitude unless they wanna throw down or get a gun in their face
Fuck you, keyboard warrior.  As far as I'm concerned, you deserve the boot for threatening others.

It's not our fault you're incapable of using ebay, posting a want to buy thread, reading the thread about reprinting the game, using torrent/google, or contacting Rover directly.

CrackTiger

Every TG-16/PCE game ever made is out of print. You can buy new copies of Mysterious Song here-

http://gooddealgames.com/inventory/Turbografx.html

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/22/2014, 10:28 PM
Quote from: VestCunt on 01/15/2014, 09:15 PMYeah, Galem just about covered it. Most of the NEC console RPG's never left Japan and those that did require a CD player. The 2012 release Mysterious Song is the closest to Dragon Quest. The print run is now sold out, but a few copies remain at the big internet homebrew dealer. Also see Ys 1-2 and the recently-translated Ys IV. Neutopia 1-2 are Zelda clones, but may scratch the itch.
since it is out of print now is there anywhere to get a download of Mysterious Song, I would like to give it a go

NecroPhile

I debated posting that link and decided against it.  Some people don't deserve help.

marktheshark

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 01:48 AM
I love how you made a double post and a triple post. I heard there's a wonderful thing on these forums known as...the edit button.

Xak

i like wildo cuz he riles necrophiliac up

NecroPhile

Quote from: Xak on 01/23/2014, 11:19 AMi like wildo cuz he riles necrophiliac up
When validouche is rooting for you, you know you're a twat.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/23/2014, 10:35 AMI debated posting that link and decided against it.  Some people don't deserve help.
It's better than someone getting shot over video games.

wildo2ne

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2014, 09:17 AM
Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 01:48 AMI apologize for getting nasty but no one gives me attitude unless they wanna throw down or get a gun in their face
Fuck you, keyboard warrior.  As far as I'm concerned, you deserve the boot for threatening others.

It's not our fault you're incapable of using ebay, posting a want to buy thread, reading the thread about reprinting the game, using torrent/google, or contacting Rover directly.
You don't have to worry I am done, I ask for help in the best way I know how and people jump my shit. Most I have dealt with are nice but some I would just rather not bother with

wildo2ne

And just so we are clear NecroPhile, I did not directly threaten anyone I advised what happens when people act like that with me. Also I did look for it online and all I found were links to reviews and game play videos. I also looked on Ebay just to gauge what they went for but there were none up for auction.

I come from the Neo-Geo community where rare like this means thousands of dollars so you can understand why I was put off about asking to buy one from a community member, I don't know about you but I don't have that kind of cash laying around. Thank you for the post though on GoodDealGames I have ordered one from there.

whisper2053

Just chiming in here with some truth...

"I come from the Neo-Geo community" should be translated to read as "They kicked me out with my tail between my legs for being a total douchebag"

Just for clarity's sake :D
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

wildo2ne

Quote from: whisper2053 on 01/23/2014, 01:24 PMJust chiming in here with some truth...

"I come from the Neo-Geo community" should be translated to read as "They kicked me out with my tail between my legs for being a total douchebag"

Just for clarity's sake :D
no I am still on there, I just have multiple interests when it comes to gaming

cdamm

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 01:59 PMno I am still on there, I just have multiple interests when it comes to gaming
come back! we need your prolific moderation skills!!

whisper2053

Oh good, then you'll notice that this 'tard moment on your part has been shared over there.

Asking to pirate a game on what is probably one of the main sites the devs actually frequent.

Lol.

IMG
IMG

wildo2ne

I am not even going to try to explain any more you judgmental pricks. No one is innocent if you have ever shared a cd with someone or downloaded a picture off the internet without the persons permission you are pirating. I have said I was willing to pay for it even if it was a download, I will not be responding to any more on this and I suggest if you have something to say then say it to my face.

whisper2053

IMG

Internet baaadaaaassss
IMG

wildfruit

I don't think its acceptable to speak of a "gun in the face" for what you perceive to be someone bad mouthing you wether in real life or internet worlds

Sent from my Lumia 520 on Scabb Island using Tapatalk

Alucard655

Opethian

Just don't agree to meet anyone in a cheesecake factory bathroom. A fate far worse than a wavy gun in your face.
IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: Opethian on 01/23/2014, 02:27 PMJust don't agree to meet anyone in a cheesecake factory bathroom. A fate far worse than a wavy gun in your face.
i try and avoid public toilets whenever possible

Sent from my Lumia 520 on Scabb Island using Tapatalk

NecroPhile

Quote from: Opethian on 01/23/2014, 02:27 PMJust don't agree to meat anyone in a cheesecake factory bathroom. A fate far worse than a wavy gun in your face.
Fixed.

bob

Quote from: wildo2ne on 01/23/2014, 02:07 PMI am not even going to try to explain any more you judgmental pricks. No one is innocent if you have ever shared a cd with someone or downloaded a picture off the internet without the persons permission you are pirating. I have said I was willing to pay for it even if it was a download, I will not be responding to any more on this and I suggest if you have something to say then say it to my face.
Its a thug life, brah.

CYa BUD!

RoyVegas

IMG
See more on Know Your Meme
All is well. :)

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II