10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

(3/12/2014 - 3/18/2014) Game of the Week: Sapphire

Started by SamIAm, 03/12/2014, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

---------------------------------------------------
March 12 - March 18: Sapphire
IMG
(Chosen by BlueBMW)

Sapphire feels to me like just about the Turbo-est Turbo game there is. It's in the vivid colors, the synth-laced guitar music, the anime babes, the heavy-duty technology and programming...and of course, the shooting. I'm not sure if it's the first game I'd show someone out of the Turbo library, but for the CD system in particular, I think it represents the console well.

I think we ought to have another high-score board. Submit ONLY scores achieved during this week, please!

Please submit your scores in this format: Name - Score - Stage - Ship

1. csgx1 - 832,310 - 1cc - Green - easy/50k:
2. geise - 765,280 - All - Blue - easy/50k
3. csgx1 - 385,590 - Stage 5 - Green - normal
4. Nulltard - 532,780 - green ship - level 5 - easy
5. Nulltard - 220,460 - pink - stage 3 - easy
6. BlueBMW - 220,190 - pink - ??? - easy

Let's fill it up this time!

GOTW Schedule:

January 15-21: Battle Royale (TheClash603)
January 22-28: Drop Off/Drop Rock (esteban)
January 29-February 4: Bonk's Adventure (roflmao)
February 5-11: Silent Debuggers (vestcunt)
February 12-18: Somer Assault (BigusSchmuck)
February 19-25: Splatterhouse (FiftyQuid)
February 26-March 4: Bloody Wolf (Jibbajaba)
March 5-11: The Lost Sunheart (Gogan)
March 12-18: Sapphire (BlueBMW)
March 19-25: Energy (PunkCryborg)
March 26-April 1: Air Zonk (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
April 2-8: Veigues Tactical Gladiator (Punch)
April 9-15: 1943 Kai (lukester)
April 16-22: Lords of Thunder (munchiaz)

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).
-Please don't submit games that are too expensive. Below $50 is best. Above $100 won't work.

(If you have any questions or comments about the GOTW system, please either PM me or post in the old thread)

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

PunkCryborg

ahhhh the weeks are going too fast :P I haven't even played the last one much yet

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 03/12/2014, 01:11 PMmust... obey.

Can we also have a list of low scores so I can be at the top for once?
If it was low scores, wouldn't you want to be on bottom?
All is well. :)

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

Not fair.... you gotta own a super rare jewel and the arcade card to play this one! :-(

Question though.... can you use the everdrive as an arcade card on the TG16?

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: toymachine78 on 03/12/2014, 02:26 PMNot fair.... you gotta own a super rare jewel and the arcade card to play this one! :-(

It does make it a bit harder for guys without ACD capabilities this week, but imagine how hard it'll be when we get to Dracula X Special Edition Hu!   O_O
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

RoyVegas

Quote from: _joshuaTurbo on 03/12/2014, 02:31 PM
Quote from: toymachine78 on 03/12/2014, 02:26 PMNot fair.... you gotta own a super rare jewel and the arcade card to play this one! :-(
It does make it a bit harder for guys without ACD capabilities this week, but imagine how hard it'll be when we get to Dracula X Special Edition Hu!   O_O
I don't have to imagine how impossible it will be.....
All is well. :)

ToyMachine78

Yeah... I should recommend Magical Chase 2 - Dawn of the Witch.... Uber rare Huey with 64 mega power!!! Very late limited release! Lol :) Really pushed the turbo to its limits Lol

ToyMachine78

Quote from: nullity on 03/12/2014, 02:38 PM

Everdrive as ACD Card = nope, you can load the ACD bios, but the RAM won't be there.

Sapphire as super rare jewel = There are apparently virtually free repros out there if you know who to contact for them... or just use an ISO (with emulator if you lack ACD card)

This GOTW will be the first time I use my ACD Duo, to be honest. ( :  I'm excited!
I didnt know if it could partition some of the flash storage as virtual RAM. I don't have a PC to emulate on... desktops are soooo 20th century. Guess I'm out for this week.

johnnykonami

One of these days I'll play this thing.  I never had any plans to buy an arcade card, but this would be the game to get me to do it.  Not too into fighting games, really, so why else would you?

esadajr

So many alternatives to play this fantastic epic
Gaming since 1985

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esadajr on 03/12/2014, 03:04 PMSo many alternatives to play this fantastic epic
I'm lazy OK!? There... I said it! :p

csgx1

Fun game.  From what I remember it was pretty difficult and I was dying a lot on the easy setting. 

Also, big thanks again to BlueBMW for getting and distributing the booties to the community here.  I definitely wouldn't have been able to enjoy this gem if it wasn't for his efforts and generosity.

roflmao

Awesome!  I'll definitely be joining in on this one.

I think the free/cheap booties have pretty much dried up around here, but it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

For some unknown reason I've had an Arcade Pro from back in the TZD days, but it wasn't until Bernie sent a booty of Sapphire my way that I got to take full advantage of it.  Now I also have Battlefield '94 (also thanks to Bernie), but I haven't played it as much as I probably should.  It has a decent soundtrack that I listen to every once in awhile though.

Back on topic: Sapphire is a fireworks feast.  It's amazing that a console originally designed to go toe-to-toe with the NES would be capable of something like this.

And if you set it to easy and crank up the lives/continues, anyone ought to be able to get through it.  If I can make it, anyone should. :)

T's Music. Heck yeah!

I can't wait to sit down with this one sometime this week. :D

munchiaz

This is going to be hard to make time for with the release of Dark Souls II. But i will def make plans to play it

InfraMan

Just curious, does anyone actually play with either of the two slower characters?

Man, they're just sooooooo ridiculously slow.  ](*,)

ToyMachine78

Quote from: nullity on 03/13/2014, 09:09 PMI find that they are all equally fast... at dying.

damn I suck at this game.
Is it harder than Tatsujin?

csgx1

munchiaz

Quote from: guest on 03/14/2014, 08:30 PMIt was fun while it lasted! Still 2nd, though!
Ill fix that this weekend

HailingTheThings

Just got mine from the German, we'll see how I do in the few days left.  ](*,)
IMG

roflmao

Gah!  I played through it tonight but didn't take a pic of my final score.  I plan on playing through it again this weekend anyway, so I'll have my camera on the ready then. :)

This game is all sorts of fun.

Psycho Punch

I can barely pass the 1st level without game overing on default settings... I surrender.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

BlueBMW

Play on easy... makes it a lot more fun if you're not super good at shooters.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

BlueBMW

I too like the slow green ship.  Though this quick playthrough I managed this score with the pink ship.  I'll try again later.

/SapphireScore_zps306b9c51.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

geise

I really hope everyone is using default settings.  No real way to tell, but there's a big difference from easy and normal, plus the ability to change your extend.  Here's my score on normal default settings.  Got to the end of level 3.  I guess to make it all fun for everyone that easy should be the default settings.  This game really is a bitch even on normal mode.  I've had this game since it first came out and I have a hell of a time with it still.  Like others have said most of the ships are slow but I only like using the default character.

238,240 - default settings (stage 3)
/Sapphire-hi-score.jpg

BlueBMW

Mine was at default settings.  I may try it again on easy though :)

munchiaz

I think its fine if people want to play on easy just to experience the game, and be a part of the discussion. But i think for high score, it should be based off default settings. Thats how it would work in an arcade, so i feel it should be the same for this

geise

In the official high score thread for Sapphire it says "easy" mode with default extend settings.  Hehe for this discussion though lets just put it all on easy mode with the 50k extend.  More fun for everyone!

bust3dstr8

I did the HS thread for default settings Normal/100K extend.  The difficulty just increases the bullet spreads and speed ifc. I remember hitting a brick wall at boss 4 last time a played Sapphire for a bit,
maybe a 1cc is possible on easy :)
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

geise

Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 03/16/2014, 12:00 PMI did the HS thread for default settings Normal/100K extend.  The difficulty just increases the bullet spreads and speed ifc. I remember hitting a brick wall at boss 4 last time a played Sapphire for a bit,
maybe a 1cc is possible on easy :)
God damn I can't read.  Sorry bust.  In the high score thread I saw easy then your score.  I glanced at it to quickly.  I will be aiming for your score later. :)

BTW null that's a nice score even if it's easy mode and 50k extend.  I have my work cut out for me.

EDIT:  Boom!  New score!  Almost there null!  I'll give it another go tomorrow.  This score was at the last boss on stage 5.  Of course easy mode with 50k extend.
IMG

geise

HailingTheThings

Haven't had as much time as I'd want to play this. So far Sapphire is kicking my ass. Maybe I should try it on easy for a bit.
IMG

csgx1

So were basing scores on easy/50k?  Did an easy/50k run and was able to 1cc.

csgx1 - 832,310 - 1cc - Green - easy/50k:

IMG

csgx1 - 385,590 - Stage 5 - Green - normal/100k (default):

IMG

HailingTheThings

No, Crabby! We can't play any more Sapphire! My butt hurts! Ahhh!!!
IMG

I tried. I failed. My apologies.
IMG

geise

I finally did a 1CC run, but my score isn't as good as csgx1.  csgx1 don't forget to post your normal score in the official Sapphire high score thread.
IMG

EvilEvoIX

I just ordered this game.  I need an arcade card duo now; anyone?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

csgx1

Quote from: guest on 03/18/2014, 10:19 AMWoop woop!  Just 1cc'd it on HARD!!!
Haha, good "job".   You must have had like a 1000 lives left over at the end and charge attack combo-ed everything to get a score like that. :lol: 

Quote from: geise on 03/18/2014, 02:21 PMI finally did a 1CC run, but my score isn't as good as csgx1.  csgx1 don't forget to post your normal score in the official Sapphire high score thread.
Good score.  How many lives did you have left over at the end?  I think I had 4 lives which equals to 200k bonus.  I may try for a higher score on normal/default setting before posting on the high score thread.  I think I can do better since I died a few times where I shouldn't have. 

I was hoping more people would have posted high scores but I guess people must have been busy.

Initially I thought Sapphire was really difficult and kind of frustrating when dying so much.   The first few times playing, I remember dying a lot from not knowing enemy patters or what to expect next.  It becomes more enjoyable when played more after learning patters, timing, and when enemies appear.   So if you think the game is too difficult, play it a few times on easy to get the hang of it. 

munchiaz

didnt get another chance to try to best the top score. Dark souls II is to strong

geise

Quote from: munchiaz on 03/19/2014, 03:54 PMdidnt get another chance to try to best the top score. Dark souls II is to strong
Nothing is stronger than Sapphire!  ...NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...except Gate of Thunder
...and Spriggan

HailingTheThings

IMG