10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

(4/2/2014 - 4/8/2014) Game of the Week: Veigues Tactical Gladiator

Started by SamIAm, 04/03/2014, 02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

---------------------------------------------------
April 2 - April 8: Veigues Tactical Gladiator
IMG
(Chosen by Punch)

This and Drop Off were the only two games in the list that I couldn't recall ever having heard of before. It didn't surprise me that Drop Off is a puzzle game, since those often fall below my radar, but Veigues Tactical Gladiator is an auto-scrolling run 'n gun/beat 'em up hybrid. How did I totally miss this one?

The colors, parallax and music are pretty decent here. It looks like the biggest barrier to entry is the control scheme. Up to jump and down to turn around is going to take some getting used to, but I feel like giving it a chance.

I hope you'll all join me!

GOTW Schedule:

January 15-21: Battle Royale (TheClash603)
January 22-28: Drop Off/Drop Rock (esteban)
January 29-February 4: Bonk's Adventure (roflmao)
February 5-11: Silent Debuggers (vestcunt)
February 12-18: Somer Assault (BigusSchmuck)
February 19-25: Splatterhouse (FiftyQuid)
February 26-March 4: Bloody Wolf (Jibbajaba)
March 5-11: The Lost Sunheart (Gogan)
March 12-18: Sapphire (BlueBMW)
March 19-25: Energy (PunkCryborg)
March 26-April 1: Air Zonk (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
April 2-8: Veigues Tactical Gladiator (Punch)
April 9-15: 1943 Kai (lukester)
April 16-22: Lords of Thunder (munchiaz)
April 23-29: OPEN!

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).
-Please don't submit games that are too expensive. Below $50 is best. Above $100 won't work.

(If you have any questions or comments about the GOTW system, please either PM me or post in the old thread)

PukeSter

I bought this game once, since it was cheap. The controls just didn't work out for me, they were bizarre, and the mech was too clunky.

I think I managed to get to Level 5.

Graphically very strong from what I could remember.

bob

Fuck. I love this game and its on my short "need" list.
:(

(This, tiger road, bravoman, fighting street)

HailingTheThings

This game is very silly billy. Got it from a local Mom+Pop shop a while back in exchange for some PS2 games. Yay! Might have to try it again soonish, but idk, very.....silly....billlllyyyiiee.

mewmewmew

I love you all. :3
IMG

InfraMan

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 04/03/2014, 11:00 PMThis game is very silly billy. Got it from a local Mom+Pop shop a while back in exchange for some PS2 games. Yay! Might have to try it again soonish, but idk, very.....silly....billlllyyyiiee.

mewmewmew

You're weird...  :-k

I like you.  =D>

HailingTheThings

Quote from: InfraMan on 04/03/2014, 11:08 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 04/03/2014, 11:00 PMThis game is very silly billy. Got it from a local Mom+Pop shop a while back in exchange for some PS2 games. Yay! Might have to try it again soonish, but idk, very.....silly....billlllyyyiiee.

mewmewmew

You're weird...  :-k

I like you.  =D>
Thanks, but...
IMG
IMG

PunkCryborg

Anyone playing this one? Hopefully I can get some good gaming in before I have to go back to work friday
IMG

Psycho Punch

This game rocks but I really having little time to do stuff lately... hopefully I can play it this week still.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

I have some time off work so I'll probably have time to play this.

I feel I should help promote it, so let me simply say:

(1) Trust Nulltard if you don't trust me: the controls are totally sweet if you give it a chance.

(2) it feels GOOD to hover, it's done just right. If you become a hover-junkie, you'll have fun (power up "vernier")

(3) different segments of a stage may require different weapons (sometimes it depends on a particular type of enemy, sometimes it's the entire "gestalt" of enemies+stage)

(4) experiment with different weapons. Some lame weapons are effective against specific types of enemies. All are AWESOME powered-up (CHEST CANNON!!!!)

(4) did you know you had a chest cannon? It's awesome.

(5) I love little details like (1) getting damaged in several steps and (2) eventually overheating

(6) I know the game too well, but I think the radar may help folks still unfamiliar with game.

(7) you can't get hit when you rotate-spin forward/backward.

( 8 ) you can be graceful with your mech—it's sluggish, sure, but mechs are SUPPOSED to be sluggish. Only pussies would want the controls to be different.

(9) trü storie
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keith Courage

MrWunderful

/oaDZGH9l.jpg

This is the part I could not beat.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to kill those little sleds!  I just end up taking a pounding from them until they take off.

I really enjoy the controls except for the fact that you cannot turn around unless you are firmly on the ground.  That has screwed me up a couple times.

@esteban  Powering up vernier is awesome.

Ps. how do you use your chest cannon?
Sell me your loose Hu Cards!!

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

MrWunderful

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2014, 10:21 PMII + I... this is how you beat ground enemies.
At the same time?  I thought I tried that. I will give it another shot.

Psycho Punch

Yep hold both, bullets will fly out of your chest cannon, you can even adjust the direction of the bullets with the directional buttons while firing. Do not underestimate it as it is quite powerful when you upgrade it to 3+.

PunkCryborg

when you hold i+ii you can rotate its position too. this is your only weapon too if you loose both arms

MrWunderful

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2014, 10:56 PMYep hold both, bullets will fly out of your chest cannon, you can even adjust the direction of the bullets with the directional buttons while firing. Do not underestimate it as it is quite powerful when you upgrade it to 3+.
Oh ok that makes sense. I was just tapping them.