Turbografx/DUO collecting questions

Started by ifkz, 06/18/2014, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

ifkz

I have some basic questions for the group:

1.  I have noticed a lot of my original TG-16 sleeves are developing a bit of a stickiness to them.  I think after almost 25 years, the material is starting to biodegrade and break down.  Long term, what would be a good replacement for the material?  Does the community have a good link to a large multi-pack from a trusted reseller?

2.  Sparky case labels - What is a good method to remove the old labels from donor cases?  Is it a combination like a hairdryer to soften the glue and cleanup with Goof-Off?  Is there a generally accepted condition to start replacing a label?  Are these usually sold in a pack of all US & CD releases?  Is there a good discussion on when and when not to replace the original spine label?

3.  Sparky instruction manuals - are these also a product?  Perhaps it is a reproduction manual from the freely available PDFs above?  I have a few later TTI games that I doubt I will find manuals for at anywhere near a decent price, so this sounds interesting.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

MrFulci

There is a seller who has hu-card sleeves. I bought 25 off of him a few years ago, though I did not need them, just to have them and checkout the quality, they're great - http://www.seymoronion.com/Custom_Game_Cases/TG16_Chip.html


I think the stickiness you mention, is due to how that plastic was stored. It could have been in a hot, humid area, or it could have come into contact with something that began breaking down the plastic.

I have seen hu-card sleeves with issues similar to what you mention, but not many, and all of mine are currently OK, almost as pliable as I always recall them being.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

ifkz

Here is another related Q:  Is there a product I use to clean/protect the original Hucard sleeves to extend their life?  Maybe a leather cleaner type product but for these sleeves?  Rubbing alcohol?  "PCENGINEFX Forum Sleeve CleanerTM"
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

MrFulci

Quote from: ifkz on 06/18/2014, 10:49 PMHere is another related Q:  Is there a product I use to clean/protect the original Hucard sleeves to extend their life?  Maybe a leather cleaner type product but for these sleeves?  Rubbing alcohol?  "PCENGINEFX Forum Sleeve CleanerTM"
Rubbing alcohol would probably break them down further if left on he plastic for too long. You could try, but I would not leave it on there too long. then, rinse with water.

If these sleeves really are that sticky, gooey, messy, don't get too involved spending your time cleaning them. Try it, if it doesn't work, buy replacements. The ones from Seymour Onion look and feel the same as the older ones.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

I never tried removing an old label from a case, but they are pretty dry and brittle...soak the sucker in water with a little detergent.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

HailingTheThings

Seriously buy the new repro sleeves, they're great.

As for getting old labels off cases, goo gone or whatever knock stuff + soap and hot water does the trick.

I usually take a cotton ball, dab it in goo gone and wipe down the label, let it sit for about 2-3 min. Peel off. Dab some goo gone on the area again, let it sit a few more min. Then soak it in warm/hot water. Finally scrub the remaining residue off with a cloth. I finish off with drying the case for what seems like a thousand hours bc ocd oops lol.

Hope this helps at least somewhat.
IMG

Nazi NecroPhile

1.  Onion's sleeves are the way to go.

2a.  Try cleaning off labels with soap and water or rubbing alcohol first.  If something more aggressive is needed (like goof off), test it on a small area first; some solvents will etch the plastic, especially the clear acrylic front half, so be careful.

2b.  When do you replace worn labels?  Whenever the fuck you want.  If the label is bad enough to bother you, then replace it and don't worry about diminished collector's value.

2c.  Sparky sells the labels in various pack sizes, from caseless games only to all hueys to complete set.  Thanks for bothering to search.

3.  Sparky's inserts are not full manuals.  Again, thanks for searching.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jelloslug

I use the orange goof off to remove sticker residue followed up by rubbing alcohol to clean off the goof off.

Just about all of the manuals have been scanned and uploaded to TG-16.com.  You can use those scans to make your own manuals.

ifkz

Thanks for the information folks.  Sorry my search-fu was not up to snuff, I'll try to work on that; I do appreciate the links.

Time to work on my post count to get to 200!  Maybe by then I will have some of those amazing rarities that need them.  The manual inserts look to be of fantastic quality, I hope they get expanded to some of the easier to find later releases...anything that sold with a plastic tray would be ideal (all of these type of releases I own were purchased loose).
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Bernie

If you want some of Onion's repro sleeves, let me know.  I have some extra boxes.

xcrement5x

I use lighter fluid to remove stickers or anything of the like.  It's always worked great for me, and it evaporates fast and never leaves residue on cardboard or anything else.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

ifkz

Thanks Bernie, I'll send you a PM.

Lighter fluid, one of my favorites too!  I guess it will not discolor the gray plastic trays, great!
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

VestCunt

Seymor's sleeves are good replacements for the pre-1991 smooth sleeves. There is no replacement for the later textured sleeves.

Beat-up original labels are cool. Sparky's labels are for games that didn't have cases and people who can't be bothered to track down complete copies with cases. Sparky's stickers are close, but they don't look like the real thing. Unless you have a case that's been chewed by a dog, leave them alone. Don't trade vintage, loved, Turbochip stickers for the glossy uniformity of facsimiles.
I'm a cunt, always was. Topic Adjourned.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2014, 03:46 PMSeymor's sleeves are good replacements for the pre-1991 smooth sleeves. There is no replacement for the later textured sleeves.

Beat-up original labels are cool. Sparky's labels are for games that didn't have cases and people who can't be bothered to track down complete copies with cases. Sparky's stickers are close, but they don't look like the real thing. Unless you have a case that's been chewed by a dog, leave them alone. Don't trade vintage, loved, Turbochip stickers for the glossy uniformity of facsimiles.
Agreed on all points.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ifkz

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2014, 03:46 PMBeat-up original labels are cool. Sparky's labels are for games that didn't have cases and people who can't be bothered to track down complete copies with cases. Sparky's stickers are close, but they don't look like the real thing. Unless you have a case that's been chewed by a dog, leave them alone. Don't trade vintage, loved, Turbochip stickers for the glossy uniformity of facsimiles.
The only Sparky stickers and manual inserts I could use are the TTI (?) era plastic tray games.  Maybe one day the products will be combined for a special package deal, I think it would help a lot of members who can only find loose versions. I do feel a bit of guilt for the donor Keith Courage and Baseball cases that would be used.

In the arcade game community, replacing a worn out control panel overlay is something everyone does to help the look of their cab; perhaps that is a good analogy here.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: ifkz on 06/19/2014, 10:37 PMIn the arcade game community, replacing a worn out control panel overlay is something everyone does to help the look of their cab; perhaps that is a good analogy here.
On a miniature scale, hmm? :3
IMG

ifkz

I went through my HuCards today and another question came up:  Which games came with textured sleeves?

A search came up with some information:  there were actually three types of sleeves during the TG16 lifetime:  smooth, textured, and hole punched.  I do not have any of the last type.

I copied and pasted together a list of the games that should have textured sleeves according to members here.

Air Zonk
Andre Panza Kickboxing
Ballistix
Battle Royale
Darkwing Duck
Falcon
Gunboat
Neutopia II
Night Creatures
Parasol Stars
Silent Debuggers
Soldier Blade
Somer Assault
Talespin
Time Cruise
TV Sports Basketball
TV Sports Hockey
World Sports Competition
Yo Bro

Ninja Spirit (Duo pack-in)

Are any others missing from the list here...or are any of these incorrect?
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

CrackTiger

There was a transitional period during which some games shipped with either.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VestCunt

Quote from: ifkz on 06/20/2014, 01:06 AMAre any others missing from the list here...or are any of these incorrect?
Basically, Turbochips ©1989 & ©1990 are smooth, those ©1991+ were textured.
I'm a cunt, always was. Topic Adjourned.

Nazi NecroPhile

And the sole punched sleeve huey is the Super System Card.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/20/2014, 09:35 AMAnd the sole punched sleeve huey is the Super System Card.
But don't pay $50 for it cuz it's rare. It's identical to the ones found in several PCE HuCards.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 09:54 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 09:47 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 09:35 AMAnd the sole punched sleeve huey is the Super System Card.
But don't pay $50 for it cuz it's rare. It's identical to the ones found in several PCE HuCards.
QFT

The only plastic wrap worth $50 is the baggie that the old Nintendo Game and Watch things came in.
This is true. :3
IMG