@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Just got a 3DS. What are the must have good games?

Started by Flare65, 07/02/2014, 09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare65

Bought the system yesterday but didn't get any games for it.  I plan on buying the Castlevania game for it when I get a chance.  Any other good titles out there that you would recommend?

hoobs88

I was disappointed with Castlevania for the 3DS. Zelda was very good but didn't take long to beat. Cave story is another good one.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

jlued686

Kid Icarus
Super Mario 3D Land
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (if you haven't played the Wii version)
Fire Emblem
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion 2

Downloads:
Shovel Knight
Pushmo or Crashmo
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (It's free...ish)

Damn...just realized those are all first-party games.

Medic_wheat

You can also play DS games on it, so it might be worth it to try a few from last gen if you never got the chance before.

Almost to many to count (many of which I never got around to owning as I just used a DS glash cart).

-Little Red Ridding Hood's Zombie BBQ
-Any shin tesnsi (??? how ever you spell his name) game series
-Sonic Classic Collection
-Mario Kart DS
-Namco Museum
-Mario vs Donkey Kong
-Kirby Triple Delux
-Golden Sun
-Both Zelda Games
-Dragon Quest
-The Professor Layton series
-Advance Wars
-Fire Emblem
-The World Ends with You
-A few great Castlevania games
-More good Mario RPG games
-Retro Game Challenge
-Eternal Sonata Series

The list truly goes on and on forever it seems....

pulstar

Shin Megami Tensei IV, Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers would be my top 3 picks for 3DS if I picked one up today. Bravely Default is good and so is Etrian Odyssey IV (and Untold Story), Fire Emblem, Kirby, New Yoshi's Island.

@Medic_wheat - Eternal Sonata is a PS3/Xbox360 game.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

jtucci31

Quote from: hoobs88 on 07/02/2014, 10:12 AMI was disappointed with Castlevania for the 3DS. Zelda was very good but didn't take long to beat. Cave story is another good one.
Are you talking about Mirror of Fate? I've never tried any of the newer Castlevania games. You wouldn't recommend it?

munchiaz

Man i played the demo for castlevania mirror of fate, and i hated it. If you think you are getting a metriodvania IGA castlevania game you are not. Its made by the same team that made lords of shadow for ps3 and 360, and that game is also bad.

Anyway, as far as good 3DS games go there are a lot of great ones.
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Amazing JRPG with a great story, and awesome combat system
Fire emblem awakening - Really Solid SRPG with a lot of new mechanics that make it stand out from previous fire emblem games
Bravely default - Squareenix is back to form with this one. Really good JRPG with a lot of customization that allows you to tailor the game to how you want it to play
Kirby triple deluxe - Really solid platformer,

ClodBusted

I tried the LoD demo for Xbox 360 and was very disappointed. Am I correct thinking 3D Castlevanias are generally inferior to 2D ones?

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 07/02/2014, 01:19 PM
Quote from: hoobs88 on 07/02/2014, 10:12 AMI was disappointed with Castlevania for the 3DS. Zelda was very good but didn't take long to beat. Cave story is another good one.
Are you talking about Mirror of Fate? I've never tried any of the newer Castlevania games. You wouldn't recommend it?
Yes, Mirror of Fate... I have almost every Castlevania game and I was looking forward to its release because Castlevania + 3DS seemed good. After playing it though, it couldn't hold my interest. It was simply inferior to the 2D platforms that we are all familiar with.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Flare65

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  Now I got some titles to look out for.  By the way is there anyway to play Japanese import games on an American 3DS?

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/02/2014, 10:43 AM-Little Red Ridding Hood's Zombie BBQ
LOL...That title sounds hilarious!  I almost thought you were joking until I typed it into Youtube and saw the actual game!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Flare65 on 07/02/2014, 08:20 PMThanks to everyone for the replies.  Now I got some titles to look out for.  By the way is there anyway to play Japanese import games on an American 3DS?

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/02/2014, 10:43 AM-Little Red Ridding Hood's Zombie BBQ
LOL...That title sounds hilarious!  I almost thought you were joking until I typed it into Youtube and saw the actual game!
I want to say it is region free.  Or is that the Vita?

Opethian

IMG

TheClash603

Step 1.)  Get 100% completion on Super Mario 3D Land, which is arguably the best portable game ever made.

Step 2.)  Look at these lists.

Tatsujin

all Sega super scalers in 3D are an imperative necessity!!

so far...

Space Harrier
Super Hang On
OutRun
After Burner II
Galaxy Force II
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

HailingTheThings

Probably the best games you could pick up at the moment.

IMG

IMG

IMG
IMG

jtucci31

lol I've never heard of Freaky Forms. I'll have to check that out!

pulstar

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/02/2014, 09:09 PMI want to say it is region free.  Or is that the Vita?
I wish the 3DS was region free, the Vita definitely is though.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

johnnymad

The 3DS is one of my favorite handhelds. Most of the first party Nintendo games are decent.

One game that's great but a bit hard to find is Cave Story. It's an amazing, and quite difficult, platformer. Bravely Default is another one I'd recommend. Great game for the system. It's kind of a Final Fantasy spin off. Great RPG.

cobrad12

I also really liked the tales of the abyss port and kingdom hearts if you like action rpgs

BeefJerky

It has been said before, but Shin Megami Tensei 4.

Also since it's backwards compatible with the regular DS, do yourself a favor and pick up Bangai-O Spirits.

futureman2000

TheClash603

I have been enjoying a few holes of Mario Golf each time I take a shit lately.  It is a really good game in short bursts, if you like golf at all.

My DS/3DS collection has slowly become quite extensive over 150 games... I think it is arguably the best system ever made.  Any game produced by Nintendo should please you.

Flare65

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/02/2014, 11:55 PMProbably the best games you could pick up at the moment.

IMG
I did pick this game up cheap online from Best Buy.  It is a lot of fun to play...kinda like a puzzle game.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Flare65 on 07/29/2014, 10:50 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/02/2014, 11:55 PMProbably the best games you could pick up at the moment.

IMG
I did pick this game up cheap online from Best Buy.  It is a lot of fun to play...kinda like a puzzle game.
What.
IMG

Flare65

The controls.  You have a slider bar that you move up and down to dive or surface.  Another slider to move back and forth to control forward movement, and wheel to raise and lower the front of the sub or lower it. 

Just moving the sub from one end of the map to the other while avoiding the terrain, other subs, and depth chargers can get challenging.  Its a constant balancing act moving the sliders and the pitch of the sub.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Flare65 on 07/31/2014, 09:56 PMThe controls.  You have a slider bar that you move up and down to dive or surface.  Another slider to move back and forth to control forward movement, and wheel to raise and lower the front of the sub or lower it. 

Just moving the sub from one end of the map to the other while avoiding the terrain, other subs, and depth chargers can get challenging.  Its a constant balancing act moving the sliders and the pitch of the sub.
This makes it, to me at least, sound worse than I originally thought. If you can find a reason to keep playing, then you are quite an amazing individual. Seriously, though, there are way better games, sir/mister, should totes play anything else, Hell, even Green Lantern is probably at least a little better.
IMG

TheClash603

Anyone else getting pumped for the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton cross-over coming out?

The Professor Layton games may be the most underrated games of this generation, I am a big fan of the series.  I kept crossing my fingers for Layton's including in Smash Bros. 3DS, but it is looking less likely at this point.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/02/2014, 02:47 PMAnyone else getting pumped for the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton cross-over coming out?

The Professor Layton games may be the most underrated games of this generation, I am a big fan of the series.  I kept crossing my fingers for Layton's including in Smash Bros. 3DS, but it is looking less likely at this point.
I have never played a phonex game but love love love the Layton games

Digi.k

download the demos for :

Fire Emblem Awakening
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey

You might like Animal Crossing new leaf and pokemon X & Y too.. plus Zelda a link between worlds

tsuran

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/02/2014, 02:47 PMAnyone else getting pumped for the Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton cross-over coming out?

I love the Phoenix Wright games, and have always wanted to play the Prof. Layton games, but never got a chance. So they're pretty good? Every time I see them they're still like 30 bucks, and I have never felt right dropping that on a game I know nothing about.
Posting is overrated.

TheClash603

Quote from: tsuran on 08/04/2014, 08:49 PM

I love the Phoenix Wright games, and have always wanted to play the Prof. Layton games, but never got a chance. So they're pretty good? Every time I see them they're still like 30 bucks, and I have never felt right dropping that on a game I know nothing about.
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask has been $10 at the Gamestop summer sale.  I almost picked up a duplicate just because it was such a good deal, but I saved the copy at the store just for you!

tsuran

Posting is overrated.

Otaking

Recently I bought and played through Super Mario 3D Land and it's amazing, I found it the best fun Mario game since the SNES games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

o.pwuaioc

Most of what I own and would recommend have already been done so, but I don't see Radiant Historia anywhere in the thread. A quality title if you're into RPGs.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2014, 02:29 PMMost of what I own and would recommend have already been done so, but I don't see Radiant Historia anywhere in the thread. A quality title if you're into RPGs.
The DS and PSP were balls DEEP in RPG's it seems.....

TheClash603

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 08/05/2014, 10:21 AMRecently I bought and played through Super Mario 3D Land and it's amazing, I found it the best fun Mario game since the SNES games.
I would say Super Mario 3D Land cracks my top 20 all-time games (knocking on top 10).  My favorite 3D Mario game ever, hands down.

johnnymad

I've been looking for a new 3DS game and based on the recommendations, I think I'll check out The Professor Layton series as well.

jtucci31

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/05/2014, 07:14 PM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 08/05/2014, 10:21 AMRecently I bought and played through Super Mario 3D Land and it's amazing, I found it the best fun Mario game since the SNES games.
I would say Super Mario 3D Land cracks my top 20 all-time games (knocking on top 10).  My favorite 3D Mario game ever, hands down.
I too recently picked it up. I wasn't really going to go by the mediocre to good reviews anyway. I loved it as well!

I still have the 8 extra levels after defeating Bowser. Really love it. I can pick it up and play through a few levels each night.

Otaking

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/05/2014, 07:14 PM
Yeh it's definitely my favourite 3D Mario game too. It is amazing but not sure it would make my top 20 all time games as that list would be stuffed full of Super Famicom and PC Engine games.
 :D

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2014, 08:12 PMI too recently picked it up. I wasn't really going to go by the mediocre to good reviews
All the reviews I watched/read they absolutely raved about it like it was the best game on the system , thats why I picked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

johnnymad

***Spoiler alert***

I love how Bowser is a skeleton after you beat the game the first time.

vexcollects

I like Infinite Space for the DS but it is stupidly expensive now. Complete in the case that is.