OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Paste Magazine TG16 article

Started by Gao, 08/26/2014, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gao

So Paste just posted an article about growing up with the TruboGrafX-16.  It's a bit of a change from the usual articles written by people who discovered the system years later, and I quite enjoyed it.

QuoteTurboGrafx-16: A Quarter Century of Gaming Excellence
By Leigh Alexander

IMG
The TurboGrafx-16 videogame system was released in America on August 29, 1989. On its 25th anniversary games and tech culture writer Leigh Alexander remembers what made this largely forgotten machine special.

There's this really easy lie I tell about my childhood in videogames: That I was a Sega Genesis girl. And it's true that when the playground wars were about Mario and Sonic, I picked Sonic—it was the attitude, really. I wanted to be a totally-radical 1990s babe, and Raphael from the Ninja Turtles, if he was real, was basically my model of a man. People still don't know what the Genesis' "Blast Processing" really was, but I was one of those kids who didn't really need to know. I just believed it utterly. I nodded along.

I was trying to be cool on the playground. The fact is, my heart belonged to NEC's TurboGrafx-16, and it still does. When you ask someone what their most beloved machine of all time was, they usually say Dreamcast for cred, but mine is the TG-16, and if I still had my hands on one you'd probably never see me again.

DeshDildo

"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Gao

DeshDildo

Sweet!  Thanks for the info.  That is a pretty cool article.  I like reading about personal experiences with these things when they were new.  Cool personal retrospective.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

roflmao

That was a fun read!  I wish my Dad was into games as much as hers.

jlued686

Yeah, it was fun to read something from someone who was an "enthusiast" and not an "expert". The "what do the Turbo Switches do?" part had me laughing.

esteban

I will read shortly....

UPDATE: pending...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gentlegamer

By Leigh Alexander

I don't think I can read this.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 08/28/2014, 04:56 PMBy Leigh Alexander

Who is this?

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

PukeSter

Not a bad article. More of a blog though.

Did the author ever own any pce games?

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 08/28/2014, 08:31 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/28/2014, 05:31 PM

Who is this?
http://www.donotlink.com/bdpj
I could not watch anyone in that video. Dear god they were horrible. Why is that even available for viewing? I'd rather suck my own sludge through a straw.

Thank you.

P.S. I stopped at a minute (or under).

Psycho Punch

"Did you know it was actually the first 16-bit system?"

No remarks like "the Turbo's processor is actually 8 bit" which are really in the level of "Super Mario Bros. 2 was Doki Doki Panic in Japan". That's a good article.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

tggodfrey

Another outspoken Moron using the interent to attempt to build a name for her/himself.  In the words of Jim Jeffries, your a dumb cunt and your going to have dumb cunt children!
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

PunkCryborg

That was such an awesome article! I really enjoyed reading this from the perspective of someone who merely had this and loved it as a child. It was just more or less reminiscing about the console and it's games with some basic information for readers to following along with. This was definitely more interesting than the majority of articles written by new collectors who are just respewing wikipedia.

Quote from: tggodfrey on 09/01/2014, 10:08 PMAnother outspoken Moron using the interent to attempt to build a name for her/himself.  In the words of Jim Jeffries, your a dumb cunt and your going to have dumb cunt children!
I cannot see how you could even think of saying something like this about the person after reading this. Is it only because it's written by a girl? There is nothing derogatory or wrong with this article other than one or two facts but the author made clear that she was more going from memory and not trying to prove any point.  Did you even read it?

jlued686

NecroPhile

Speaking of dumb cunts.... you're ≠ your.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gao

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 08/28/2014, 08:31 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/28/2014, 05:31 PM

Who is this?
http://www.donotlink.com/bdpj
I have no idea what any of that has to do with this article (nor what the part of the video you had this skip to was supposed to show at all).  It's bizarre to refuse to read an article by someone because they elsewhere said they have a problem with mainstream gamer culture after numerous harassment scandals.