Cause of the TG16 price hike.

Started by Ayce, 09/22/2014, 09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayce

I've been thinking about this for a while and it applies to many old games not just the TG16. You take a look at the age range of those who grew up with Atari, Nintendo, Sega, SNK, and NEC... Many of them are hitting towards the upper 30s and some even in their mid 40's. I'm turning 36 in a couple months myself. Sure there are some that are finding these gems for the first time and might be a bit younger, but my guess is that most of us are older.

Is the price increase of classic gaming in direct correlation to what the modern day midlife crisis?

So many who are wanting to return to their childhood, and relive the glory days of their youth. What a better way than to get thir hands on so many classic title. I remember back in the late 90's I was buying up NES stuff like crazy because it was so cheep. Now it's just crazy... The amount people want for some of this stuff seems insane.

mitsuman

I think you are on to something. The age bracket is right. There are some of us that now have a bit more expendable income, and free time, and want to relive our youth.

Opethian

I think the hike is blamed on Instant Collectors who will pay any price just to complete a collection. No matter if they play the games or just have them on a shelf just for completions sake. As the supply dries people think their investment in "video games" should go up in value. This buy low/sell high mentality is toxic. Video games are an investment of time and enjoyment, not a commodity.
IMG

NecroPhile

Ope nailed it.  There's no shortage of 20-something collectard morons, so I don't think it has anything to do with a mid-life crisis and everything to do with disposable income.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

another + for ope.
midlife crisis is a dumb way to look at it.  The insta-tards are more the problem.  And the ass hole sellers that dont understand ebay dont help either.

VestCunt

Collectards are half of it. The other half of the price increase is that there are so many people scrounging for off-beat, vintage video games. They've purchased and repurchased everything they wanted but never had and everything they regrettably sold off, now they've looking for what they missed.

There was just enough physical media to cover all of the Turbo gamers of the Nineties, mostly because they weren't going for full sets. There's isn't nearly enough now. Commons will remain reasonably priced. Uncommons, rares, and boxes will continue to climb.
Topic Adjourned.

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

cr8zykuban0

maybe because people know that the turbo is a badass system and must get their hands on it?

or some people aren't patient enough to look for a better price for a game they're looking for?

beats me.

dallaspattern

They're the comic books of our generation. Some will appreciate more than others, supply and demand and all that. The midlife crisis thing is a freaky thought though. Lately, I've sought some comfort in a round or two of blazing blazers, or other cards I had first. But I don't think my longings for the early 90's have affected market prices.

PikachuWarrior

The widespread use of the internet has also helped to gain information on video game consoles such as the TG16 that many have missed out on and are now searching for. In other words, blame the growth of the internet with the hike anything video game related.
IMG

Ayce

Maybe someone can explained this whole "collectard" thing to me. If I'm not mistaken most of the users on this site are collecting video games, are they not? It's hard to play a game if you don't buy it. Sure you can go the route of using an Everdrive, but I have a feeling there are more collectors on the forums than there are who stick to the Everdrive.

I'm a gamer... I have been ever since my parents bought a VCS around 1980. Ever since then I have been not only playing games but collecting them. There have been occasions that I've sold off large portions of my collecting when in times of need, but then I eventually buy it back from another source. Sorry for my ignorance here, but I don't understand why people of this community are so harsh against collectors.

Duo_R

really haven't been on the scene lately, I have been reading here about the price hikes. I'm scared to see what games are going for lately. Are we mainly referring to ebay prices in these hikes?

Too bad, at one point I wanted a complete US collection, but I sort of stopped along the way and decided, just too much $$$ to do that. And I made that decision about 3 years ago...lol.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Ayce

Quote from: Duo_R on 09/22/2014, 10:05 PMreally haven't been on the scene lately, I have been reading here about the price hikes. I'm scared to see what games are going for lately. Are we mainly referring to ebay prices in these hikes?

Too bad, at one point I wanted a complete US collection, but I sort of stopped along the way and decided, just too much $$$ to do that. And I made that decision about 3 years ago...lol.
Interesting that you would say years... Many people I've seen complain refer to less than a year. I believe they have been saying 8-9 months.

bob

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/22/2014, 09:49 PMThe widespread use of the internet has also helped to gain information on video game consoles such as the TG16 that many have missed out on and are now searching for. In other words, blame the growth of the internet with the hike anything video game related.
yeah...and all the accurate information you can find.

ToyMachine78

Ha ha... I'm 36 and my wife swears I'm going through a mid life crisis. My answer is... No, I never grew up in spirit in the first place ^-^

esteban

Quote from: Ayce on 09/22/2014, 09:59 PMMaybe someone can explained this whole "collectard" thing to me. If I'm not mistaken most of the users on this site are collecting video games, are they not? It's hard to play a game if you don't buy it. Sure you can go the route of using an Everdrive, but I have a feeling there are more collectors on the forums than there are who stick to the Everdrive.

I'm a gamer... I have been ever since my parents bought a VCS around 1980. Ever since then I have been not only playing games but collecting them. There have been occasions that I've sold off large portions of my collecting when in times of need, but then I eventually buy it back from another source. Sorry for my ignorance here, but I don't understand why people of this community are so harsh against collectors.
Comrade, I don't collect games. I have a library of games I play.

Collectard refers to the POKEMONIZATION of video games, where people collect for the sake of collecting.

Collectard refers to many more things (foolish, uninformed purchasing of items at inflated prices, usually due to ignorance, but also out of impatience).

I admit I prefer playing on real hardware + TV, but if someone uses emulation, I can't begrudge them, since they HONESTLY are SEEKING ONE THING—playing the damn game.   Playing via emulation is pure OBEY. I have a fetish for artifacts (the anthropologist in my heart), so I like to have objects if they are affordable.

:pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ayce

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 10:19 PMHa ha... I'm 36 and my wife swears I'm going through a mid life crisis. My answer is... No, I never grew up in spirit in the first place ^-^
LOL. I am sympathetic... Lately every time another arcade cabinet comes into the house my wife just says, "do you need another one." I've never fully grown up, and when I think about my dad at my current age I'll bet he never was like me in many aspects.

Thanks for enlightening me on "collectards" everyone.

jelloslug

Quote from: Ayce on 09/22/2014, 09:59 PMMaybe someone can explained this whole "collectard" thing to me. If I'm not mistaken most of the users on this site are collecting video games, are they not? It's hard to play a game if you don't buy it. Sure you can go the route of using an Everdrive, but I have a feeling there are more collectors on the forums than there are who stick to the Everdrive.

A collectard is anyone who pays more than what the game was sold for in 1995 in the bargain bin at Babbages.

PikachuWarrior

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 11:28 PM

A collectard is anyone who pays more than what the game was sold for in 1995 in the bargain bin at Babbages.
Unless you are finding Turbo Grafx games for $2 CIB, I doubt it, so everyone is pretty much paying the going rate these days.
IMG

Azzurri

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/23/2014, 08:06 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 11:28 PM

Unless you are finding Turbo Grafx games for $2 CIB, I doubt it, so everyone is pretty much paying the going rate these days.
I think he was joking, lol. :mrgreen:

GoldenWheels

I know I pay more than I should by market prices, at times, for TG games. Getting a turbo game off of ebay (since I have next to NO options locally) is a reward for me, I get to know in a few days I'll have a new game to play--so I enjoy the wait. Then it shows up, and I get to play it. And I am happy.

I get satisfaction from both playing it and growing my collection. I pay what it is worth to me, even if I know I could save 20% or so by waiting and sniping and playing the whole game.

While I do not intend to contribute towards inflating the market (I never re-sell, except doubles bought with lots) I've found any game is worth exactly what I pay for it. Every time (Except Drop Off. I hate that game).

Inflation is certainly real but if something is worth X to a given person....it's worth X to them. No matter what anyone else thinks about it.

glazball

Another option is to train Conjure Turbo ability to max, like jelloslug.  (Where are you find all these NIB items??)
glazball's game collection and wantlist

jelloslug

Quote from: glazball on 09/23/2014, 09:23 AMAnother option is to train Conjure Turbo ability to max, like jelloslug.  (Where are you find all these NIB items??)
If I let the cat out of the bag I could not do any more raffles.

madboom0522

There is a place called amazon and half.com. Check it out and you will find these sealed games....
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

NecroPhile

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/22/2014, 09:49 PMThe widespread use of the internet has also helped to gain information on video game consoles such as the TG16 that many have missed out on and are now searching for. In other words, blame the growth of the internet with the hike anything video game related.
Don't forget to include shill bidding assholes driving up the price of their auctions.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

schweaty

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/23/2014, 08:53 AMI get satisfaction from both playing it and growing my collection. I pay what it is worth to me, even if I know I could save 20% or so by waiting and sniping and playing the whole game.

While I do not intend to contribute towards inflating the market (I never re-sell, except doubles bought with lots) I've found any game is worth exactly what I pay for it.
While I can appreciate the passion you have to play these games, you most definitely are contributing towards inflation by paying 20% over market rate.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: esteban on 09/22/2014, 10:40 PMComrade, I don't collect games. I have a library of games I play.
Words to live by.

Quote from: esteban on 09/22/2014, 10:40 PMCollectard refers to the POKEMONIZATION of video games, where people collect for the sake of collecting.
I wish we were able to come up with a better term than 'collectard'.  People that use the word 'retard' as an insult generally seem like ignorant asshats to me.

Regarding emulation: I usually have no problem with a guy that plays Magical Chase on his Xbox or PC and enjoys it.  Just as long as he doesn't go around saying he 'owns' it.  Emulation is a rental service. Besides, thousands of gamers getting their Turbo fix on an emu allows the real hardware to stay in the community.

Regarding collectors vs. gamers: The term "collectard" seemed to really take off when an influx of members here threw in their first post looking for all the rarest games.  Claiming they "Need" games like Magical Chase and Dynastic Hero to complete their 'sets'.  When it was discovered that they never even intended to play these games members that grew up with these titles and consider them to be great experiences took exception as the few numbers of these gems in circulation would go into extinction.  Games aren't meant to sit on shelves, they are meant to be played!!  The kill the 'sealed only collectors' movement had begun!

I don't consider myself to be a video game collector, even though someone could very easily label me as such.  I have hundreds of games sitting on my shelves of my game room, however I own them with every intention to play through them (some multiple times).  I share and trade them away and have no wishes to own every single game on one platform.  I lug my libraries to game conventions and gatherings to share them with everyone. 

:)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BlueBMW

I own every US Nuon game!  Collectard to the MAX! :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

GoldenWheels

Quote from: schweaty on 09/23/2014, 11:07 AM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/23/2014, 08:53 AMI get satisfaction from both playing it and growing my collection. I pay what it is worth to me, even if I know I could save 20% or so by waiting and sniping and playing the whole game.

While I do not intend to contribute towards inflating the market (I never re-sell, except doubles bought with lots) I've found any game is worth exactly what I pay for it.
While I can appreciate the passion you have to play these games, you most definitely are contributing towards inflation by paying 20% over market rate.
Can't argue with that to any large degree--I think I'm on the low end of pushing prices up frankly (I do TRY to hunt auctions but I do splurge too when I feel I deserve it) but it is what it is.

Doesn't bother me however, nor does it bother me that it seems to bother others.  Things go up in value, and things go down in value. So long as I pay what I am comfortable paying, I'm the only one I have to answer to at the end of the day.

I don't mean to seem defensive--maybe I explained more than I need to. I share the disdain for people who collect things to put them on a shelf frankly--at the same time if they have the money to spend I say more power to them. It's not my business how they spend their money.

Oh and does everybody have to do verifications on every post? Or is this a newb thing for newbs like myself?

BlueBMW

I think its only your first 5 or 10 posts.  Probably an anti-spambot measure
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

neutopia6

I figure its supply and demand to a degree, supply runs out, demand keeps going up, either because there's nostalgia and/or people love the games/system, or asshole collectors and resellers who buy up multiple copies of rare or uncommon games and wait for the price to go up, I'm sure there's some dickhead sitting on five copies of magical chase somewhere just waiting for prices to go up even higher.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/23/2014, 01:58 PM...... it is what it is.
You can Runyon, but you cannot hide..
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

GoldenWheels

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 09/23/2014, 02:14 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/23/2014, 01:58 PM...... it is what it is.
You can Runyon, but you cannot hide..
I'd be lying if I said I get that.

And now I just want to get some posts out so I can get past this verification stuff so lets talk!  :)

CGQuarterly

Actually, I mostly blame flippers like you.

PikachuWarrior

Thanks I also have 5 Magical Chases that I got for $10 each. I am selling them at the current market rate and not half, therefore I am contributing to the price hike.  :roll:
IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/23/2014, 07:45 PMThanks I also have 5 Magical Chases that I got for $10 each. I am selling them at the current market rate and not half, therefore I am contributing to the price hike.  :roll:
EAT IT!!!

IMG
IMG

HailingTheThings

IMG

Ayce

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 link=msg=372728 date=Regarding collectors vs. gamers: The term "collectard" seemed to really take off when an influx of members here threw in their first post looking for all the rarest games.  Claiming they "Need" games like Magical Chase and Dynastic Hero to complete their 'sets'.  When it was discovered that they never even intended to play these games members that grew up with these titles and consider them to be great experiences took exception as the few numbers of these gems in circulation would go into extinction.  Games aren't meant to sit on shelves, they are meant to be played!!  The kill the 'sealed only collectors' movement had begun!

I don't consider myself to be a video game collector, even though someone could very easily label me as such.  I have hundreds of games sitting on my shelves of my game room, however I own them with every intention to play through them (some multiple times).  I share and trade them away and have no wishes to own every single game on one platform.  I lug my libraries to game conventions and gatherings to share them with everyone. 

:)
Thanks Josh... I think that was probably the best response yet. I understand the frustration towards people who actually want to play these games, but can't seem to get their hands on them because of those who are hoarding them as trophies.

I still consider myself a collector even though I have played every game I own multiple times. For instance I own King of Casinos and toss it in every once and a while... Not because I like the game, but because when I was younger I used to enjoy it. Now... Not so much, but it brings back memories of my youth.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2014, 09:58 AMIMG
I. LOVE. YOU.

Hey Storino, if you're gonna be sticking around here like shit on public restroom walls, you mind using this as your avatar?

Please and thank you.
IMG

esteban

Wait, Pikapu = Storino?

I did not to now this.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2014, 10:26 PMWait, Pikapu = Storino?

I did not to now this.
Affirmative.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: madboom0522 on 09/23/2014, 09:46 AMThere is a place called amazon and half.com. Check it out and you will find these sealed games....
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
SHUTUPPPP!!
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Psycho Punch

I HAVENT BOUGHT MY COPY OF SIDEARMS YET SO KEEP QUIET DAMMIT
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 09/24/2014, 11:59 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/24/2014, 11:18 PMI HAVENT BOUGHT MY COPY OF SIDEARMS YET SO KEEP QUIET DAMMIT
get to it before I gobble them all up! FOR VAG GRADING

IMG
V.ery A.wesome G.uy
IMG