OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Greetings, I just started my turbo grafx 16 collection got questions.

Started by Golgo13, 05/26/2007, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golgo13

Hey there, its my first post here and I was really happy to find boards like this, I have been a collector of old school games for awhile, and I just recently bought a PC Engine GT with a modification which lets me play US TG16 games too.  So I was wondering if you guys could recommend to me some games to add to my collection.

I also have a japanese duo, but I just want to know more about hucards, the hucards and turbochips I have are:

HuCards:

Override
Bonk I
Kyoku Tiger
R Type
Gunhed
Some boxing game
Street fighter II

TurboChips:
Bonks Revenge
Parasol Stars
Bloody Wolf
Keith Courage
Tricky Kick
Air Zonk

Not much so far, but its a start I guess, Please suggest some things that would make good additions.  Thanks

nat

You're better off buying the HuCard variant of all games if you can.

HuCards are technologically far superior to TurboChips in all regards.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

termis

Golgo13

MrFulci

Turbo Chip..... Funny, nearly all of mine read HuCard on the front, and all of them read HuCard on the back.

Any that actually read, "Turbo Chip"?
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

Welcome to pcenginefx, Golgo13.  Here's a few recommendations for you, in no particular order:

1.  Bomberman - '94 is my favorite, but they're all fun and work well on a GT.
2.  Twin Bee - fun and good looking, as long as you can stand the goofy bell power up system.
3.  Air Zonk - another good cute-em-up.
4.  Legendary Axe I and II - great platforming fun. 
5.  Gradius - old school shooting fun, yet damn infuriating.
6.  R-Type - just in case you don't have both parts already.

I'm not sure if the shmups will work that well on a portable, as small sprites can be impossible to see on a GT.  I've played plenty of Air Zonk on my Express, so I know that it's playable.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Welcome! You're starting off with a bunch of great titles. :)

We should post links to the old threads that recommend games...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Golgo13

Quote from: MrFulci on 05/26/2007, 08:11 PMTurbo Chip..... Funny, nearly all of mine read HuCard on the front, and all of them read HuCard on the back.

Any that actually read, "Turbo Chip"?
Actually I think your correct, even the US games say "HuCard" in the bottom right corner, but if memory serves me correctly NEC did in fact refer to the TG-16 games as "turbo-chips" in certain advertisements.

GUTS

Plus don't the back of the manuals say "Have you tried these other turbo chips?"

Keranu

Some Turbo Chips do say "HuCard" on the bottom right hand side of them, but they are generally referred to as Turbo Chips.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Seldane

Welcome to the site.

We should have a pinned topic ready with these kinds of recommendations. We get a new thread every week. :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

nat

The USA manuals all refer to the carts as "TurboChip Game Cards".
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Seldane

Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Keranu

I was thinking earlier how awesome it would be if they made some potato chips or something called Turbo Chips that were shaped like HuCards and came in all sorts of flavors.
IMG

Seldane

IMG

Keranu

Oh man that sounds awesome, spicy meat! I'd be all over that!
IMG

offsidewing

Expect a bag of Bonk 3 Chips to cost you about 4 grand.

Keranu

I've been thinking it would be kinda cool to have "Keith Courage Alpha Chips". I imagine these chips to be rainbow colored and combine the tastes of all the other Turbo Chips... which will of course end up being a flop in the Turbo Chip line  :mrgreen:.
IMG

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Seldane

IMG

jimid2

Don't mind me, guys, but I'm gonna drag this thread back on topic for a second...  :lol:  Welcome Golgo13 - I'm a newb here myself, but I thought I'd respond by adding a couple of favorite side-scrolling beat-em-ups that I particularly love on the TG16: Ninja Spirit and Splatterhouse are two excellent games, imho, and would make a nice addition to anyone's collection... Other faves of mine include the aforementioned Military Madness and Air Zonk, and the cute but endlessly challenging Chew Man Fu.

Oh, and Aero Blasters is a pretty decent side-scrolling shooter, too...

esteban

Quote from: jimid2 on 05/28/2007, 08:56 AMDon't mind me, guys, but I'm gonna drag this thread back on topic for a second...  :lol:  Welcome Golgo13 - I'm a newb here myself, but I thought I'd respond by adding a couple of favorite side-scrolling beat-em-ups that I particularly love on the TG16: Ninja Spirit and Splatterhouse are two excellent games, imho, and would make a nice addition to anyone's collection... Other faves of mine include the aforementioned Military Madness and Air Zonk, and the cute but endlessly challenging Chew Man Fu.

Oh, and Aero Blasters is a pretty decent side-scrolling shooter, too...
Yes, Chew Man Fu doesn't get enough love around here. jimid2 made excellent suggestions, but don't forget about Chew Man Fu amongst all the other great games. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

2X4

Quote from: jimid2 on 05/28/2007, 08:56 AMNinja Spirit and Splatterhouse are two excellent games, imho, and would make a nice addition to anyone's collection...
These are MUST-HAVES.  I would go as far as to insist you purchase these next.  Along with Legendary Axe I & II
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 05/28/2007, 06:29 AMWait...... colored chips?! What are you?
I figured it would represent the rainbow that transports Keith into the Alpha Zones. ;)
IMG

nat

I've always thought that rainbow was an odd choice for a mechanism that's supposed to give you super-powers.

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

GUTS

The rainbow is a good choice if you're trying to show off your system's color palette, I always assumed that's why they used it.  I remember it looked really fruity, but still kinda cool with all the colors.  I'm probably wrong though, they probably just used a rainbow because they're japanese and insane.

nat

Quote from: GUTS on 05/30/2007, 01:23 PMI'm probably wrong though, they probably just used a rainbow because they're japanese and insane.
That's it, exactly.

I think the game does a good job of showing off the system's pallete as it is, rainbow aside. Even if it's got nothing else, the graphics all have some really nice shading and gradients, especially for a late-80's console game.

offsidewing

Quote from: nat on 05/30/2007, 02:46 PM
Quote from: GUTS on 05/30/2007, 01:23 PMI'm probably wrong though, they probably just used a rainbow because they're japanese and insane.
That's it, exactly.

I think the game does a good job of showing off the system's pallete as it is, rainbow aside. Even if it's got nothing else, the graphics all have some really nice shading and gradients, especially for a late-80's console game.
Instead of WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM I've got some "diddy-dididdy-diddy" Rainbow song as my first lasting impression of a game system.

SNKNostalgia

Turbo D

ya, that keith courage was overall a pretty bad ass game. I guess thats why it was the tg-16 pack-in.
IMG IMG
IMG

terrormask

Hello, I'm new as you all can tell. Anyway, I've started my collection with China Warrior, Splatterhouse, Dungeon Explorer, Alien Crush, Super Star Soldier, and Vigilante.

Turbo D

Thats an excellent way to start it man  =D> Those are pure hits. Out of those, my favorite would have to be super star soldier. That game rocks some serious awesome!
IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard terrormask.  That's a damn good start to a collection - particularly Splatterhouse.

nat

Those are some pretty good titles you got there.

Splatterhouse and Dungeon Explorer are surely the highlites of that set, China Warrior is better played on the TurboExpress (handheld system) and Vigilante is fun to laugh at. Super Star Solider is a decent shooter, but the other games in it's series are better.

Keranu

Quote from: terrormask on 06/05/2007, 06:06 AMHello, I'm new as you all can tell. Anyway, I've started my collection with China Warrior, Splatterhouse, Dungeon Explorer, Alien Crush, Super Star Soldier, and Vigilante.
Welcome! You wouldn't happen to have gotten into the TG16 because of the Virtual Console, did you? Anyway, that's a great start, especially Splatterhouse, Dungeon Explorer, and Alien Crush.
IMG

terrormask

I didn't become a turbo freak because of the virtual console, I wouldn't think of spending a penny on a nintendo product. Splatterhouse was the first turbo grafx game I played, the 2nd I tried was vigilante. I'm more particularly into action/adventure and shooter type games.

SNKNostalgia

Ahhh yes, getting myself quite a few US Turbochips this week (if all goes well). It is a bundle, so 1 game will be Keiths Courage which I already own  :| . Out of 8 games, Military Madness, Splatterhouse, Neutopia 1, R-type, Bonks Revenge (own it on the 4 in 1 disc), JJ and Jeff, Pac-Land and of course Keiths Courage.

This all going roughly for $45.00. Is this a good deal? If someone knows the average sell of each game could you please list the prices. It would be nice.

nat

Keith Courage - $0.00 (I'm serious, I posted an extra copy I have on eBay for $0.01 and nobody bought it)

The rest of I'm not sure on exact pricing these days, but $45 is an OK deal for that bundle. I probably wouldn't have paid any more for them. Splatterhouse & R-Type are completely awesome, Military Madness is cool if you're into that type of game, Pac-Land has shrill music but is otherwise a fun distraction every couple months, Neutopia I've never played but understand it's a Zelda 1 ripoff, Bonk's Revenge you already own, and Keith Courage and JJ & Jeff are throwaways.

For me, buying games is more about what they're worth to ME, rather than their current market value. I already own everything in that bundle except Neutopia and JJ & Jeff. If I ever sold off my collection and decided to re-acquire some titles for my TG, I'd probably only bother with 4 out of those 8.

If you like all those games and think $45 is a fair price to pay, then you got a great deal. That's the way I usually look at my transactions.

NecroPhile

It depends on the condition and completeness of the games, but $45 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  Military Madness usually goes for around $15 complete and Neutopia sells for about $10 complete, and the rest somewhere in the $5 to $10 range.  So at an average price of $6.43, I'd say you did well.

nat

Yeah, I didn't think about that, I assumed all those games were complete.

SNKNostalgia

Well no boxes but complete otherwise. Very good condition. Also i plan on selling the 4 Idon't want, which that you can probably guess of course. Basically I got it for R-type, Splatterhouse, Military Madness and Neutopia. I hope I can sell the other 4 for atleast $15-$20. I figured this isn't a bad idea since you have to pay $4.00 in shipping for games individually. So bundles are a good way to go. Plus I just really need some more Turbochips. I pretty much just own mostly CD games and like 10 chips. I am getting my Duo S-video modded as soon as I get the word from Grahf.

SNKNostalgia

Yeah the auction for those games ended at $67.00. Too much for those 8 games especially when you only really want 3-4 out of them. I may just buy individual cards from the same seller and do combined shipping. I guess if I aim from 5 games I should atleast get 3 out of them. Usually there are a lot of good games when someone liqiudates their collection individual sales wise.

PhilBiker

Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

TR0N

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 06/11/2007, 09:00 AMYeah the auction for those games ended at $67.00. Too much for those 8 games especially when you only really want 3-4 out of them. I may just buy individual cards from the same seller and do combined shipping. I guess if I aim from 5 games I should atleast get 3 out of them. Usually there are a lot of good games when someone liqiudates their collection individual sales wise.
Agreed that is too much for a set of common games.

I don't know what deal is for TG16 hucards on evilbay as of late, but i've been seeing some price gougeing for the common titles.Or sellers putting them in some bundle deal.

Dunno maybe these sellers think since the VC is giving the, TG16 some attention they feel they can rip people off who are interested in it.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SNKNostalgia

I think also a lot of it has to do with that people as of now don't really know what these games are actually worth. What really doesn't help is people buying these games, epecially bundles and then realize that they think the system sucks and sell it again. Maybe because they didn't realize it would be between 8-bit and 16-bit or something and then sell it off again to some other person that knows nothing of the system. The TG-16 and PCE doesn't appeal to all 2d gamer types. It is more of something to be appreciated for what type, how and when they made the games.