12/06/2023: Localization News - Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria!!!

OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Grolt's Adventure

Started by grolt, 08/02/2015, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

grolt

Hey folks, found these boards via the Digit Press forum and I like what you've all built here.  Caring core community, irreverent humor and a lot of knowledge.  I've owned a TG-16 since 1992 or so, but never really delved into the library or the culture of the system until recently.  I bought it when it was being liquidated from a Radio Shack in my little city, and the local video store had a bunch of the used games on sale for $5 each so I picked up all they had (Parasol Stars, Fantasy Zone, Psychosis, Ordyne, Deep Blue, Boxy Boy, World Court Tennis and Davis Cup Tennis).  Being a SEGA (FEKA? Sorry.) fan, I played Fantasy Zone a lot, but otherwise was too distracted with the other systems that would get all the talk on the playground growing up.  I've always liked the underdog systems, since they tend to have the best ratio of good games to shovelware, and like favorites of mine like the Master System and the Saturn, there's a ton of interesting and unique games on the TG-16 that you can't get anywhere else.  I like how the TG-16 didn't really try to be the Genesis or the NES, most of its games (that I've seen at least in my limited knowledge) are arcade ports unique to the system or original games that never made it out anywhere else, and that's what I'm looking forward to getting into.

I've been making my way through my original collection, but have been tracking down a lot of games through the limited distribution channels that still exist today for a system as eclectic as the TG-16.  I'm loving the system already despite its quirks (the one controller port always got me as a kid with a younger brother who needed to play along), and I still haven't even played most of the system's iconic games, like the Bonks, Legendary Axes, Neutopias, etc.  I've got a bunch of those en route now though, so I'm on my way to rectifying that in a hurry.

Anyway, hello from Canada and really looking forward to learning a bunch from you all and hopefully at some port contributing something of worth.
I'm a notorious strange man.

CrackTiger

Welcome. :) If you're interested in playing games, you should get a Turbo Everdrive or a PC Engine system. There are hundreds more PCE games than Turbo and the PCE versions of shared games are usually much cheaper.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

wildfruit

Welcome! An excellent introduction. Logic says pick yourself up a duo. Sexy says get a briefcase setup. Enjoy!

esteban

Comrade, welcome. :)

Keep your TG-16, obviously, since it is awesome.

But, certainly, as CrackTiger suggested, we encourage you to explore PCE games at some point.

There is no rush, of course.

Same for the CD-ROM games...there is no rush,as long as you know you will explore the games in the future.

Also, I know I have problems, but you should be reading, listening, watching, breathing all things Turbo/PCE.

OTHERWISE, you are doing it wrong. Sadly, I am not joking.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Welcome to Pcenginefx!

grolt

Thanks for the welcomes, guys, and the tips on the PC Engine/CD routes.  That's definitely something I'd like to get into, particularly getting a Turbo Duo, but something I'll wait to do until after I've satiated myself with just the western Hucard releases first.  When I was first getting into Master System games I went about a similar strategy - play the US games, then try the European ones, then Japan, then descend into the chaos of Brazil.  I like starting out with the games where I have context - I remember a lot of the TG-16 games and want to try those, I'll have some nostalgia to guide me.  I'm a huge Ys fan though dating back to the SMS port of the game, so it might be tougher to avoid at least getting the CD attachment for my TG-16.  Looking at the eBay price for that right now...nah, I'll be good for a bit. ;)
I'm a notorious strange man.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: grolt on 08/02/2015, 11:31 AMHey folks, found these boards via the Digit Press forum and I like what you've all built here.  Caring core community, irreverent humor and a lot of knowledge.  I've owned a TG-16 since 1992 or so, but never really delved into the library or the culture of the system until recently. I bought it when it was being liquidated from a Radio Shack in my little city, and the local video store had a bunch of the used games on sale for $5 each so I picked up all they had (Parasol Stars, Fantasy Zone, Psychosis, Ordyne, Deep Blue, Boxy Boy, World Court Tennis and Davis Cup Tennis).  Being a SEGA (FEKA? Sorry.) fan, I played Fantasy Zone a lot, but otherwise was too distracted with the other systems that would get all the talk on the playground growing up.  I've always liked the underdog systems, since they tend to have the best ratio of good games to shovelware, and like favorites of mine like the Master System and the Saturn, there's a ton of interesting and unique games on the TG-16 that you can't get anywhere else.  I like how the TG-16 didn't really try to be the Genesis or the NES, most of its games (that I've seen at least in my limited knowledge) are arcade ports unique to the system or original games that never made it out anywhere else, and that's what I'm looking forward to getting into.

I've been making my way through my original collection, but have been tracking down a lot of games through the limited distribution channels that still exist today for a system as eclectic as the TG-16.  I'm loving the system already despite its quirks (the one controller port always got me as a kid with a younger brother who needed to play along), and I still haven't even played most of the system's iconic games, like the Bonks, Legendary Axes, Neutopias, etc.  I've got a bunch of those en route now though, so I'm on my way to rectifying that in a hurry.

Anyway, hello from Canada and really looking forward to learning a bunch from you all and hopefully at some port contributing something of worth.
I saw the Radio Shack comment and was about to ask if you were in Canada. Then I saw your closing and realized you are.

We have quite a lot of people saying they were unable to find TurboGrafx games back during it's heyday, and I recall more than a few folks in the great white north stating they obtained their goods at Radio Shack.

In any event, welcome to the forum.
--DragonmasterDan

BigusSchmuck

Welcome aboard! First order of business, get yourself a refurbished Duo from our awesome member Keith Courage! That's the only way to play CD games without breaking the piggy bank too much. If you are scared of the language barrier of PCE games, check this thread out: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14497.0 there are surprisingly plenty of games already in English or 80%. Again welcome!

grolt

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/03/2015, 09:55 AM
Quote from: grolt on 08/02/2015, 11:31 AMHey folks, found these boards via the Digit Press forum and I like what you've all built here.  Caring core community, irreverent humor and a lot of knowledge.  I've owned a TG-16 since 1992 or so, but never really delved into the library or the culture of the system until recently. I bought it when it was being liquidated from a Radio Shack in my little city, and the local video store had a bunch of the used games on sale for $5 each so I picked up all they had (Parasol Stars, Fantasy Zone, Psychosis, Ordyne, Deep Blue, Boxy Boy, World Court Tennis and Davis Cup Tennis).  Being a SEGA (FEKA? Sorry.) fan, I played Fantasy Zone a lot, but otherwise was too distracted with the other systems that would get all the talk on the playground growing up.  I've always liked the underdog systems, since they tend to have the best ratio of good games to shovelware, and like favorites of mine like the Master System and the Saturn, there's a ton of interesting and unique games on the TG-16 that you can't get anywhere else.  I like how the TG-16 didn't really try to be the Genesis or the NES, most of its games (that I've seen at least in my limited knowledge) are arcade ports unique to the system or original games that never made it out anywhere else, and that's what I'm looking forward to getting into.

I've been making my way through my original collection, but have been tracking down a lot of games through the limited distribution channels that still exist today for a system as eclectic as the TG-16.  I'm loving the system already despite its quirks (the one controller port always got me as a kid with a younger brother who needed to play along), and I still haven't even played most of the system's iconic games, like the Bonks, Legendary Axes, Neutopias, etc.  I've got a bunch of those en route now though, so I'm on my way to rectifying that in a hurry.

Anyway, hello from Canada and really looking forward to learning a bunch from you all and hopefully at some port contributing something of worth.
I saw the Radio Shack comment and was about to ask if you were in Canada. Then I saw your closing and realized you are.

We have quite a lot of people saying they were unable to find TurboGrafx games back during it's heyday, and I recall more than a few folks in the great white north stating they obtained their goods at Radio Shack.

In any event, welcome to the forum.
Radio Shack was the only place where I ever saw consoles or new games for sale.  They had the TG-16 and the Express, along with the TV Tuner, and then a few of the more noteworthy games like Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse.  Oddly enough, we have a video store called Superior Video and they jumped on the TG-16 train once it came out, renting out a good 20 or so games from the early library - even going as far as to clear out a lot of NES titles to make shelf space.  I hardly ever saw the games rented out, and eventually they'd all be liquidated for $5 a pop, which was when I jumped in (Radio Shack was selling the new boxed system for $49.99, which I still have today).  I lived in a smallish city of around 15,000 at the time, so I'm not sure if games were available at the bigger retailers (what was it like in the US?) but it was a tough system to find.
I'm a notorious strange man.

Nazi NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

grolt

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 08/03/2015, 10:23 AMWelcome aboard! First order of business, get yourself a refurbished Duo from our awesome member Keith Courage! That's the only way to play CD games without breaking the piggy bank too much. If you are scared of the language barrier of PCE games, check this thread out: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14497.0 there are surprisingly plenty of games already in English or 80%. Again welcome!
Thanks for the suggestions and the link.  I definitely would like to check out the PC Engine library at some point.  I still even have some random PC Engine HuCard that I received in a lot of other games years back.  It has something like a yellow cactus dude on the front label.  Looking at the list, DIE HARD is one I'd really like to play - looks like a weird game, incredible attention to detail in cut-scenes and sprites, but completely random levels (who knew the first four stages of the movie were in a Vietnam-esque jungle?).

Is Keith Courage just some Santa filled with modded Duos that you can buy?  Is there some kind of thread for that?
I'm a notorious strange man.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: grolt on 08/03/2015, 12:01 PMRadio Shack was the only place where I ever saw consoles or new games for sale.  They had the TG-16 and the Express, along with the TV Tuner, and then a few of the more noteworthy games like Bonk's Adventure and Splatterhouse.  Oddly enough, we have a video store called Superior Video and they jumped on the TG-16 train once it came out, renting out a good 20 or so games from the early library - even going as far as to clear out a lot of NES titles to make shelf space.  I hardly ever saw the games rented out, and eventually they'd all be liquidated for $5 a pop, which was when I jumped in (Radio Shack was selling the new boxed system for $49.99, which I still have today).  I lived in a smallish city of around 15,000 at the time, so I'm not sure if games were available at the bigger retailers (what was it like in the US?) but it was a tough system to find.
I lived in a large urban area, and the only other place I spent a significant amount of time was a smaller but still urbanized area. So my experience in finding TurboGrafx games, systems and peripherals in the wild was that large chain stores like Toys R Us, Electronics Boutique, Babbages and Software Etc carried it. Some of the larger department stores carried Turbo Grafx stuff until 1992 as well.

From the TTI era (April 1992) on, it was mostly limited to Toys R us, or the specialty stores (EB, Babbages, Software etc) and mom and pop retailers selling it.
--DragonmasterDan

Bardoly

Quote from: grolt on 08/03/2015, 01:29 PMIs Keith Courage just some Santa filled with modded Duos that you can buy?
Pretty much.   :dance:


Quote from: grolt on 08/03/2015, 01:29 PMIs there some kind of thread for that?
Yes.   :-"

Warbucks

Uhh.. Welcome, I guess :)

Psycho Punch

Keith Courage has pallets of PCE consoles but he's too humble to admit it.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" at Neo-Geo.com
For a good time reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He too ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I deleted THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

PukeSter

Welcome!

If you are a Ys fan, I would suggest you buy the Chronicles version on Steam. It is without a doubt the best version, is only $15 and will run on almost any computer.

grolt

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2015, 09:55 PMWelcome!

If you are a Ys fan, I would suggest you buy the Chronicles version on Steam. It is without a doubt the best version, is only $15 and will run on almost any computer.
I bought all the Ys Steam releases on my PSP before they came out there. Oath in Felghana is one of my absolute favorite games. I've finished the first Ys dozens of times on various systems over the years- it never gets old. Ys Origin I bought on Steam but still haven't yet found the time to play it. Ever play that one?
I'm a notorious strange man.

PukeSter

Quote from: grolt on 08/06/2015, 09:55 AM
Quote from: PukeSter on 08/05/2015, 09:55 PMWelcome!

If you are a Ys fan, I would suggest you buy the Chronicles version on Steam. It is without a doubt the best version, is only $15 and will run on almost any computer.
I bought all the Ys Steam releases on my PSP before they came out there. Oath in Felghana is one of my absolute favorite games. I've finished the first Ys dozens of times on various systems over the years- it never gets old. Ys Origin I bought on Steam but still haven't yet found the time to play it. Ever play that one?
I beat Oath but I only got about halfway through in Origin. I think I just got kinda bored, because it was similar to Oath.

Ys VI is on Steam now, which is pretty cool.

grolt

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2015, 09:57 AM
Quote from: grolt on 08/06/2015, 09:55 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/05/2015, 09:55 PMWelcome!

If you are a Ys fan, I would suggest you buy the Chronicles version on Steam. It is without a doubt the best version, is only $15 and will run on almost any computer.
I bought all the Ys Steam releases on my PSP before they came out there. Oath in Felghana is one of my absolute favorite games. I've finished the first Ys dozens of times on various systems over the years- it never gets old. Ys Origin I bought on Steam but still haven't yet found the time to play it. Ever play that one?
I beat Oath but I only got about halfway through in Origin. I think I just got kinda bored, because it was similar to Oath.

Ys VI is on Steam now, which is pretty cool.
How is the port? I have it on the PSP, and while the load times are a little annoying, I still always prefer to have games on a console versus a PC. I spend most of my days at work in front of a computer...if I am going to sit in front of a screen at home, at least let it be something other than a computer!!!
I'm a notorious strange man.

xcrement5x

Welcome aboard!   

Is DigitalPress still alive?  That place was on life support the last time I checked in.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2015, 11:30 AMWelcome aboard!   

Is DigitalPress still alive?  That place was on life support the last time I checked in.
The last time I tried to visit the forum was totally down.
--DragonmasterDan

grolt

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2015, 11:30 AMWelcome aboard!   

Is DigitalPress still alive?  That place was on life support the last time I checked in.
Always seems active whenever I pop in:

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/forum.php?
I'm a notorious strange man.