@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Catastrophy: In Development

Started by DildoKKKobold, 08/14/2015, 07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DildoKKKobold

Since Gredler and I are going to be asking for help, I figured I'd intro our project. It's currently unnamed, as I'm just learning HuC. Here's the first boss fight. Note, there are a lot of place holder sprites at the moment, we are just getting started.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gredler

The droplets and splash are my contributions so far. Working on the blob monster now. Wont be a blob when done  lol

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

elmer

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 08/14/2015, 07:45 PMSince Gredler and I are going to be asking for help, I figured I'd intro our project. It's currently unnamed, as I'm just learning HuC. Here's the first boss fight. Note, there are a lot of place holder sprites at the moment, we are just getting started.
Quote from: Gredler on 08/14/2015, 09:39 PMThe droplets and splash are my contributions so far. Working on the blob monster now. Wont be a blob when done  lol
Congratulations, guys!  Keep on going! :D

Psycho Punch

It was cooler when it was piss colored. You figured out how to fix your .pcx files and to upload/assign palettes, great! Looking forward to what you'll create for your project.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TurboXray

Cool :D

If you're leery with asm+huc, I'd get with old rover or arkhan and see if they'll share they super cool speed-up array/pointer workarounds for HuC.

sirhcman

are the hu cards of this game for sale yet?

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2015, 03:13 PMare the hu cards of this game for sale yet?
Thank you for your inquiry Sirchman.

Huecards have been sold out and are available on ebay, oddly enough you will need to pay more for them there than what we originally offered them for - go figure!

Tobias told someone he is printing disc versions that come in a styrofoam cat head, packaged with special limited edition swag like a pez dispenser, 3 west side connection limited edition sound track CD's, an official fan art book, and 3 jelly belly's of random flavor. We can't print more huecards, so his $300 offering is probably your best bet!

Good luck playing the game, it's a one of a kind and very rare.

sirhcman

Wooo!!! I'll hold out for Catnip edition!

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

DildoKKKobold

pass 1
#[1]   Test1.s
 1066  --:C002                     adc    #low(35)
       Proc : '_main' is too large (code > 8KB)!
# 1 error(s)

I wasn't expecting this error!

Am I only allowed 8kb per "bank" i.e. subroutine?
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Gredler on 08/19/2015, 03:57 PMTobias told someone he is printing disc versions that come in a styrofoam cat head, packaged with special limited edition swag like a pez dispenser, 3 west side connection limited edition sound track CD's, an official fan art book, and 3 jelly belly's of random flavor. We can't print more huecards, so his $300 offering is probably your best bet!

Good luck playing the game, it's a one of a kind and very rare.
:lol:

Some pretty good work in that write up, kudos!

OldMan

Quotepass 1
#[1]   Test1.s
So I assume this is actually C code, and not straight assembler....

QuoteProc : '_main' is too large (code > 8KB)!
In HuC, probably. (Not sure about pceas, though)

Serious question though: How do you debug a routine that large, anyway?
I have trouble debugging stuff more than ~60 lines long....

TurboXray

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 08/19/2015, 09:19 PMpass 1
#[1]   Test1.s
 1066  --:C002                     adc    #low(35)
       Proc : '_main' is too large (code > 8KB)!
# 1 error(s)

I wasn't expecting this error!

This is a limitation of PCEAS. You also can't have an instruction (more than a byte long) fall between two banks. I updated PCEAS to remove this limitation, but it's not with the official HuC build. I never use 'proc', so I'm not even sure how it handles it or affected by the change.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Nulltard on 09/01/2015, 09:43 PMHey, DickfaceTAS, give up on this yet? No updates in a bit. Should have tool assisted home brew crew!!!

Yuk yuk yuk yuk!
LOL, says the guy getting private updates via DoxPhile. #FuckNulltard has never been more accurate.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

DildoKKKobold

Gredler is a great artist. The game is looking amazing. The cat sprite is still a placeholder.  Also, thanks to Sarumaru for the paw!
I'm a little worried about sound and music, I'm going to need to recruit someone to help with that.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Dicer

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/08/2015, 08:12 PMGredler is a great artist. The game is looking amazing. The cat sprite is still a placeholder.  Also, thanks to Sarumaru for the paw!
I'm a little worried about sound and music, I'm going to need to recruit someone to help with that.
That's lookin mighty nifty...

LostFlunky

PunkCryborg

jtucci31

I do like the cat in the game. It's cool to see all the new stuff added! Looking great so far. I like the paw health meter thing, that's clever. Can't wait to play this for myself :)

Gredler

Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a lot of fun to work on the PCE with DK - the challenge of getting things within restraints of the system is a lot of fun. Going from ~4098x4098 images with millions of colors to ~32x32 images with about 13 colors has been a rad learning curve. Hyperbolic, but representative of how this has been for me, so hopefully I can get something that looks cool to show up :P

As for the cat, it will be the main character, and by placeholder he means that the art is far from final. I gave him some quickly drawn frames of animation  in order to hook everything up in code. I am working on the cat now with the code on my machine being able to make changes, compile, and view them in game, so I hopefully everyone likes the real star of the game :) .

Back to work!

DeshDildo

This is all looking really good guys.  Especially for a first outing.  I can't wait to see how it progresses.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

NecroPhile

So what kind of game is it, a side scrolling platformer I presume?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/09/2015, 09:32 AMSo what kind of game is it, a side scrolling platformer I presume?
At the moment, its just a boss rush. We've planned the 5 bosses, each with a different mode of play. The next boss will be 2.5D. Its mainly inspired by Battletoads, and I hope that it is as memorably fun and hard as BT. If we still have the energy, we might add in pre-boss levels, but we've not planned any of that.

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

sirhcman

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2015, 01:27 PMparallax or gtfo!
I'll parallax, I'll parallax all night long.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2015, 01:27 PMparallax or gtfo!
I don't really understand parallax from either a HuC or hardware perspective. Maybe Bonknuts will chime in and describe them for us. I'm not sure if the hardware has multiple background layers, or if its just faked using sprites.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Psycho Punch

You just define two portions of the screen (one 'scroll slow' part and other 'scroll fast' part) divided horizontally. Then you set up the VDC's Raster Counter to the scanline # correspondent to your desired horizontal split.
Then it's easy, only thing that changes is that you write to the Scroll X register twice, once for the top part in the beginning of the picture rendering (VBlank) and again inside the IRQ interrupt handler (fires when the line being rendered matches your configuration for the raster counter registre). That way you can have individual scrolling speeds for each section of the screen.

edit: of course there are other, more complex tricks (like dynamic tiles, used in Ninja Spirit) and you could also set up some sprites to help mask the horizontal divide (like atlantean, some parts of the walls  that stick out outside of the horizontal split are just sprites). And of course, I really don't know how this works at all in HuC so hopefully my confusing post was of use.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/09/2015, 03:04 PMYou just define two portions of the screen (one 'scroll slow' part and other 'scroll fast' part) divided horizontally. Then you set up the VDC's Raster Counter to the scanline # correspondent to your desired horizontal split.
I believe that the scroll() function in HuC takes care of a lot of this for you, as it allows you to set up as many as 4 virtual screens. I didn't really understand the virtual screen thing until this, so thanks!
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

sirhcman

so does this mean we will have parallax?

LostFlunky

Cat Ass Trophy? Do you ship to Canada?

TurboXray

I can help with some parallax code for HuC (I've written a few libraries for it). HuC does offer hsync, or scroll, support. That might be enough for what you need, though.

If you find that things start slowing down, it's most likely array or pointer access. This is painfully slow on HuC (local variables are as well; use globals when possible). Bit shifting is also pretty slow. But surprisingly, it's not that difficult to overcome with some function/asm/code. I've done stuff like make C fastcall pragma functions, with asm on the target side, that can easily be used to access far data or pointer/array data. So instead of var=array[index], you'd do something like var=array_access(array,index). HuC treats all near data as far data when a pointer is used, so you get no speed increase when using local ram for arrays (which you would normally think you would).

Anyway.. dynamic tiles, hsync scrolling, sprites - that's how you're going to get parallax out of the system.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: TurboXray on 09/14/2015, 12:12 PMIf you find that things start slowing down, it's most likely array or pointer access. This is painfully slow on HuC (local variables are as well; use globals when possible). Bit shifting is also pretty slow. But surprisingly, it's not that difficult to overcome with some function/asm/code. I've done stuff like make C fastcall pragma functions, with asm on the target side, that can easily be used to access far data or pointer/array data. So instead of var=array[index], you'd do something like var=array_access(array,index). HuC treats all near data as far data when a pointer is used, so you get no speed increase when using local ram for arrays (which you would normally think you would).
Interestingly, I've not run into any speed issues yet with the game. Most parts are just doing fun things with state machines, so no one piece of code currently being run is incredibly intensive. Also, I've found that most of my speed comes from sticking to char as much as possible. At least, that has been my dogmatic approach, since the HuC6280 is an 8bit processor.

My biggest concern is just running out of space, atm. I'm not sure how optimal the compile is, so if it ends up burning through chunks of ROM, we won't be able to make the game as cool as possible.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

TurboXray

If you don't use one of the optimized option for HuC (I forget which switch), all char access is treated as int anyways (for operations).

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: TurboXray on 09/14/2015, 12:51 PMIf you don't use one of the optimized option for HuC (I forget which switch), all char access is treated as int anyways (for operations).
So, afaik, it did help. In my early days, I was accessing some of my arrays using int. array[int]. I was getting major timing issues. When I switched to array[char], the code ran without issues. Perhaps getting your assembly routine might help even more. I don't use a ton of arrays atm, but that might change. Thus far, I've been pointer-free.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

TurboXray

Ahh yeah, int array access will be slower than char. HuC doesn't optimize for split high/low array of 16bit wide elements (something very common with 65x line). Writing backend functions as fastcalls is a nice way to keep it C style, without the inline asm mess, but still get some of that asm speed. I'm not sure how the other HuC guys do it, though. Maybe they can chime in with their closely guarded secrets :)

Psycho Punch

Can't you do a "#define int char" to cheat on speed anyway? :v

TurboXray

DildoKKKobold

Stupid question time! I'm getting a green border on my TV. I thought this was color 0, but I must be mistaken, because I set it to 0, and it still is bright green.

IMG
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Psycho Punch

Mega Cat?

You're writing ZERO to the palette #0 slot #0, but are you updating the higher byte? Remember that they're all 16 bit registers, and a color slot index is like this:
MSB | LSB
---- ---G | GGRR RBBB
Probably the MSB is set to 00000001, giving value '4' for the green color.

edit:
Mega-Neko?

Another thing, if I recall correctly the sprite color #0 is used for the overscan area, but I'm not sure, maybe try inspecting that too?

Gredler

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/16/2015, 12:34 AMAnother thing, if I recall correctly the sprite color #0 is used for the overscan area, but I'm not sure, maybe try inspecting that too?
Yes that green color is what I've been using for index color 0. Should I make two black colors on thr index? Is this not only a emulation issue? I dont see it when testing on the everdrive, only when using an emulator

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/16/2015, 12:34 AMMega Cat?

Hell yes!

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/16/2015, 12:34 AMMega-Neko?

Hell no!

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/16/2015, 12:34 AMAnother thing, if I recall correctly the sprite color #0 is used for the overscan area, but I'm not sure, maybe try inspecting that too?
Cool, I can give that a try. Its easy to write setcolor(256,0) if that is all it takes.

Quote from: Gredler on 09/16/2015, 02:14 AMYes that green color is what I've been using for index color 0. Should I make two black colors on thr index? Is this not only a emulation issue? I dont see it when testing on the everdrive, only when using an emulator
If you are on a CRT, it isn't a problem. Cue galam coming in to abuse me in 5...4...3...2...1...
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

sirhcman

Game looks great dk, you guys should be proud!

TurboXray

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/16/2015, 12:23 AMStupid question time! I'm getting a green border on my TV. I thought this was color 0, but I must be mistaken, because I set it to 0, and it still is bright green.

IMG
Color 0 for BG is the BG color, obviously, but color 0 of the sprite index (@ $100) is the border color when no display is showing (BG or sprites).

Gredler

Quote from: TurboXray on 09/16/2015, 11:57 AMColor 0 for BG is the BG color, obviously, but color 0 of the sprite index (@ $100) is the border color when no display is showing (BG or sprites).
That makes sense, and there wouldn't be a transparent color on a background sprite, I need to check that mappy pcx file and see if I habitually set the index to my transparent color. 16 bit hall of mirrors!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions and suggest ideas for fixing issues - this environment is so alien to me. Spoiled by modern workflows, for sure! :)

sirhcman

I like the neon green, I say leave it for the people who insist on playing their TG-16 games on a LCD! :D

reno5

Cool projects guys. Keep it up. Can't wait to play this on my Duo

Psycho Punch

Man this game is going to be great from what I'm seeing so far, no exaggeration. You guys should be proud.

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2015, 03:23 PMI like the neon green, I say leave it for the people who insist on playing their TG-16 games on a LCD! :D
Die!!!

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2015, 03:23 PMI like the neon green, I say leave it for the people who insist on playing their TG-16 games on a LCD! :D
I'll just go 16x9, come at me bro...