Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?

Started by Otaking, 02/21/2014, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gredler

Quote from: GreatBlueSwirlof99 on 08/24/2015, 01:11 PM
Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 08/23/2015, 08:46 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/17/2015, 01:47 PMDo you honestly think the price of old games will tank because there's finally something worth playing?
yes
Yes, one of my friends bought a Genesis only because and I quote "all the new games are just sad, I mean look at SNES and Genesis they had true talented developers making games now we EA making loads of shitty games and a FPS craze which I don't like !Only if I lived in the 70/80/90's!"
Hearing this makes me worried about who's buying all these games, and what will happen when they bore of them. Hopefully their "collections" re-integrated into the market, but I worry that  a lot of the people buying these games are so young that their games will be another toy to be tossed in the trash when they are tired of the games. I imagine a lot of the people inflating the prices are rich parents trying to appease their crying child who wants all of these games. Maybe there will be another glut of games available in yard sales 5 years from now when these kids move out and get a family of their own.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

chemdream

I've been kicking myself lately.

When the original playstation was released, I traded a Duo w/ 2 controllers, tap, Ys1/2, Bonk 1-3, Monsters Lair, Devil's Crush, and a whole lot more for an (almost) new PS1 w/ 2 controllers, mod chip and a few games...

FML. Seemed like a good deal at the time!
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

Otaking

Quote from: chemdream on 08/25/2015, 08:42 AMI've been kicking myself lately.

When the original playstation was released, I traded a Duo w/ 2 controllers, tap, Ys1/2, Bonk 1-3, Monsters Lair, Devil's Crush, and a whole lot more for an (almost) new PS1 w/ 2 controllers, mod chip and a few games...

That was a really good deal you got, I paid a fortune for my import PS1 when it was released, at that time the Duo was worth a lot less.
In the grand scheme of things all this TG-16/Duo being worth big bucks is a relatively new thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Otaking on 08/25/2015, 09:14 AM
Quote from: chemdream on 08/25/2015, 08:42 AMI've been kicking myself lately.

That was a really good deal you got, I paid a fortune for my import PS1 when it was released, at that time the Duo was worth a lot less.
In the grand scheme of things all this TG-16/Duo being worth big bucks is a relatively new thing.
I traded 2 new sealed Duos for an import Dreamcast and a couple games in November 1998.  It was worth it.

Otaking

I've done so many, many trades in the 90s it's hard to remember.
But I used to get each new console when it was released in Japan, through trading or buying. This is when consoles were released months or years in Japan before other regions. I remember I picked up an import Saturn on it's Japanese release with Virtua Fighter, then over the next couple months no new good games came out. I was generally disapointed with the Saturn so swapped it with someone for a Core Grafx II and Super CD Rom unit with Cho Aniki, Image Fight II, Super Darius II and a stack of Japanese PC Engine mags. The guy gladly did the swap and thought I was completely nuts as the Saturn was still newly released.
Saying that in the end by the end of it's lifecycle the Saturn turned out to be a great console, with loads of great 2D shooters and fighting games.

Very similar I swapped a Neo Geo AES for a PC Engine Duo, when the Duo was first released. The guy I swapped with said he thought the Duo was rubbish and thought I was crazy for swapping it for an AES.
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

sirhcman

Quote from: Otaking on 08/25/2015, 09:45 AMThe guy I swapped with said he thought the Duo was rubbish and thought I was crazy for swapping it for an AES.
Well at least he was honest with you! :)

xcrement5x

Quote from: Nulltard on 08/25/2015, 09:23 AMI traded 3 sealed duos for a reacharound from richard simmons. Best trade ever!
I bet that really charged your crystal.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 08/25/2015, 09:23 AMI traded 3 sealed duos for a reacharound from richard simmons. Best trade ever!
You must have just beat me to him, because when I got there, he said, "The price just went up, sweety! I just got 3 Duos for 3 seconds of work!"

esteban

I traded a mint-in-box PCE LT for XaviX.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

wilykat

Hindsight is 20/20

I have oh about 30 PSX consoles and about a dozen PSOne consoles.  Most of them were from local yard sales and Goodwill for as low as $10, and nearly all are working. Just a PSOne that can't read at all even with a new drive, probably a fried chip.  I figure I might as well stock up on these because in 20 years from now, people would be paying a lot for a working console.  Like how Atari 2600 is usually going for $50 working nowday when I used to be able to get crapload of them about 20 years ago for next to nothing.

If you factor in inflation, I won't be making much profit in 20 years but I won't need to worry about having working console when Chinese companies stops making cheap replacement drives and demand for working console goes crazy high, I can afford to blow a few up to bad modding. :D

grolt

Quote from: wilykat on 08/26/2015, 05:48 PMHindsight is 20/20

I have oh about 30 PSX consoles and about a dozen PSOne consoles.  Most of them were from local yard sales and Goodwill for as low as $10, and nearly all are working. Just a PSOne that can't read at all even with a new drive, probably a fried chip.  I figure I might as well stock up on these because in 20 years from now, people would be paying a lot for a working console.  Like how Atari 2600 is usually going for $50 working nowday when I used to be able to get crapload of them about 20 years ago for next to nothing.

If you factor in inflation, I won't be making much profit in 20 years but I won't need to worry about having working console when Chinese companies stops making cheap replacement drives and demand for working console goes crazy high, I can afford to blow a few up to bad modding. :D
The problem with the PSX was that PS2 and PS3 could play the discs back and offer superior video quality of said games.  Most other systems have one life and then they're done, so they'll always hold some value.  My Goodwill to this day is still littered with PS1 consoles.
I'm a notorious strange man.

NightWolve

Yeah, that's a good point. I stopped using my PSX because I bought YPbPr/Component cables for my PS2 and playing my PS1 games on it was a lot prettier. :) You're investing in the wrong console, me thinks... ;)

o.pwuaioc

There will always be a slight demand for the PS1 to play games that the PS2 can't. Plus, some folks like original systems. Otherwise, everyone would just play on a Retron.

That said, it's unlikely that there will ever be a demand great enough to have that "investment" pay off.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 08/26/2015, 07:19 PMThere will always be a slight demand for the PS1 to play games that the PS2 can't. Plus, some folks like original systems. Otherwise, everyone would just play on a Retron.

That said, it's unlikely that there will ever be a demand great enough to have that "investment" pay off.
Is That a thing?
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/26/2015, 07:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/26/2015, 07:19 PMThere will always be a slight demand for the PS1 to play games that the PS2 can't. Plus, some folks like original systems. Otherwise, everyone would just play on a Retron.

Is That a thing?
You could, you know, just Google it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Psycho Punch

X-Files has bugs on the PS2, and my copy of Return Fire doesn't work past the menus on my PS3 so yeah.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

grolt

Except the PS2 and PS3 aren't really emulating since they actually have the PSX processor and hardware built in.
I'm a notorious strange man.

CrackTiger

Quote from: grolt on 08/27/2015, 10:26 AM
Except the PS2 and PS3 aren't really emulating since they actually have the PSX processor and hardware built in.
Only the earliest PS3 used a chip.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

The PS3's PS1 compatibility is completely software based. Only PS2 games were hardware emulated. (Sony just hide the software emulator for the PS2 after the launch of the slim consoles but it is still there, you can use it on a custom firmware and it is also used when you play PS2 Classics from the PSN store)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 08/27/2015, 12:53 PM(Sony just hide the software emulator for the PS2 after the launch of the slim consoles but it is still there, you can use it on a custom firmware and it is also used when you play PS2 Classics from the PSN store)
Oh wait, is that really true, Punch ? OK, because I was needing to get a PS3, but I thought I had to track down the very 1st model since they got rid of PS2 backwards compatibility. You're saying you can buy the newest PS3 model, patch the firmware, and fully restore PS2 support ?? Is that right ?

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/27/2015, 12:53 PMThe PS3's PS1 compatibility is completely software based. Only PS2 games were hardware emulated. (Sony just hide the software emulator for the PS2 after the launch of the slim consoles but it is still there, you can use it on a custom firmware and it is also used when you play PS2 Classics from the PSN store)
What reasoning would they have for that?

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 08/27/2015, 04:50 PMWhat reasoning would they have for that?
My guess would be poor compatibility that Sony won't be fixing.

xcrement5x

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/27/2015, 05:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/27/2015, 04:50 PMWhat reasoning would they have for that?
My guess would be poor compatibility that Sony won't be fixing.
The same reason we have that shitty Vita TV whitelist.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Psycho Punch

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/27/2015, 04:47 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/27/2015, 12:53 PM(Sony just hide the software emulator for the PS2 after the launch of the slim consoles but it is still there, you can use it on a custom firmware and it is also used when you play PS2 Classics from the PSN store)
Oh wait, is that really true, Punch ? OK, because I was needing to get a PS3, but I thought I had to track down the very 1st model since they got rid of PS2 backwards compatibility. You're saying you can buy the newest PS3 model, patch the firmware, and fully restore PS2 support ?? Is that right ?
Yeah I don't keep up with PS3 'scene' but that's pretty much it if your console can be downgraded to the jailbreak requirements. There's even a PSP emulator! (http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PSP_On_PS3_Compatibility_List) Compatibility wise the PS2 soft emu isn't that great though. I have Winback and Grand Theft Auto:SA from the PSN store and it's not that bad but not that great either.

seieienbu

I  always assumed it was so that you'd pay for PS2 classics rather than just put the disk you already own in your PS3 and play it.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 08/27/2015, 07:20 PM
I  always assumed it was so that you'd pay for PS2 classics rather than just put the disk you already own in your PS3 and play it.
Yup.

BlueBMW

Here's a frustration I have with the PS3...  I picked up one of those 1st gen launch models so it has the hardware backwards compatibility support.  Trouble is I never use it for that.  I always pull out the PS2 to play PS1/PS2 games.  Why?  I'm afraid that overuse will eventually kill the PS3.  Its still working fine despite being nearly 10 years old now.  I have a download of Nights HD on it, so I keep it around pretty much just for that.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

neopolss

Quote from: guest on 08/27/2015, 12:53 PM(Sony just hide the software emulator for the PS2 after the launch of the slim consoles but it is still there, you can use it on a custom firmware and it is also used when you play PS2 Classics from the PSN store)
Pretty much.  Out of the fat models, only the cech-a series uses a chip, the cech-e models use emulation, and then later models disabled it.  Its not really worth the hassle to enable it, as it did not work well.  I wouldnt recommend hunting down the cecha models either though.  In our shop, i have yet to see one not die from the ylod.  Even once they are reballed the failure rate is high, often withon a year.

xcrement5x

Quote from: neopolss on 08/29/2015, 11:23 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/27/2015, 12:53 PM(Sony just hide the software emulator for the PS2 after the launch of the slim consoles but it is still there, you can use it on a custom firmware and it is also used when you play PS2 Classics from the PSN store)
Pretty much.  Out of the fat models, only the cech-a series uses a chip, the cech-e models use emulation, and then later models disabled it.  Its not really worth the hassle to enable it, as it did not work well.  I wouldnt recommend hunting down the cecha models either though.  In our shop, i have yet to see one not die from the ylod.  Even once they are reballed the failure rate is high, often withon a year.
Wow, I could see failure that fast with a reflow, but I would expect a reball to last much longer than that, especially if you're using leaded solder.

bob

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/29/2015, 11:13 AMHere's a frustration I have with the PS3...  I picked up one of those 1st gen launch models so it has the hardware backwards compatibility support.  Trouble is I never use it for that.  I always pull out the PS2 to play PS1/PS2 games.  Why?  I'm afraid that overuse will eventually kill the PS3.  Its still working fine despite being nearly 10 years old now.  I have a download of Nights HD on it, so I keep it around pretty much just for that.
I have a ps3 "slim" model since the week it launched. It gets used for hours almost every day as a dvd player and netflix. Today, my wife accidentally left it on and shut the tv cabinet that its in (with no ventillation) for 6 hours. This is not the first, second, third, etc. time this has happened. It has never even had a slight hiccup.
The thing seems to be a rock. Or i just got lucky.

BlueBMW

I suppose I should pick up a slim and dump the OG model to some collectard.  I bought it new a few weeks after launch and I kind of hate to get rid of it but I just know its going to die sometime.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mercutio

Quote from: BlueBMW on 08/30/2015, 03:20 AMI suppose I should pick up a slim and dump the OG model to some collectard.  I bought it new a few weeks after launch and I kind of hate to get rid of it but I just know its going to die sometime.
I eventually had to. I had so much cool stuff on my PS3 that I was just completely unable to use. Plus, my OG model couldn't even run Last of Us. Seriously, you'd load up a level and the models would pop into space and then nothing would happen. So weird. Despite its weird disc loading mechanism, the newer PS3 really is pretty good...

jeffhlewis

Quote from: agent_orange on 08/30/2015, 12:35 AMI have a ps3 "slim" model since the week it launched. It gets used for hours almost every day as a dvd player and netflix. Today, my wife accidentally left it on and shut the tv cabinet that its in (with no ventillation) for 6 hours. This is not the first, second, third, etc. time this has happened. It has never even had a slight hiccup.
The thing seems to be a rock. Or i just got lucky.
I literally have to pull out a portable fan to use my PS3 "fat" for Netflix in my entertainment center. It's that bad. Thing could heat a small home by itself.

Otaking

So it looks like the technology is now nearly there for someone to do a full Magical Chase repro recreation of the original game, or repro of any other sought after HuCard such as Tonma.
So if this does happen unlike cartridge games you wont be able to open up the cart and check the circuit board to see if it's an original. So basically in the end the only way you'll be able to tell if yours is a fake is to own another original copy of the game to A to B reference the suspected fake with the genuine copy to see if there is any tiny differences, such as colours in the printing.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19848

Edit: I'm not suggesting ichigobankai is related to developing fake copies to pass off as originals, just what he's done shows someone else with less good intentions could potentially do it.

IMG

NecroPhile

As nice as ichigobankai's hueys are, they're not even close to originals and are instantly recognizable as unoriginal.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/11/2015, 01:15 PMAs nice as ichigobankai's hueys are, they're not even close to originals and are instantly recognizable as unoriginal.
But what if a black and gold Magical Chase was sold in custom premium packaging by PCEWorks, with limited edition Magical Chase candy?

Collectards are already paying more for several PCEWorks releases than the originals.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2015, 02:30 PMCollectards are already paying more for several PCEWorks releases than the originals.
For the life of me, I can't understand paying extra for a known forgery.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CrackTiger

Quote from: seieienbu on 10/11/2015, 05:54 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/11/2015, 02:30 PMCollectards are already paying more for several PCEWorks releases than the originals.
Because it is literally more rare.

Psycho Punch

I'll burn a copy of Last Alert and do a poor drawing of Guy Kazama on the label side of the disc. RARE!!! Only 1 copy in existence!

:P

Gentlegamer

Screw it, let's clean out the pockets of collectards with Magical Chase booties.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2015, 08:17 PMI'll burn a copy of Last Alert and do a poor drawing of Guy Kazama on the label side of the disc. RARE!!! Only 1 copy in existence!

:P
PM sent.

Ozzy_98

Quote from: guest on 10/11/2015, 07:37 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/11/2015, 02:30 PMCollectards are already paying more for several PCEWorks releases than the originals.
I think cause in part cause of the great package they put together with stolen artwork around their stolen games.  (At least I'm assuming they stole most of the artwork used).  I'm also pretty sure the ton of youtube reviewers who talk about how great this is, many of them got free copies.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Ozzy_98 on 10/13/2015, 09:00 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/11/2015, 07:37 PM
I think cause in part cause of the great package they put together with stolen artwork around their stolen games.  (At least I'm assuming they stole most of the artwork used).  I'm also pretty sure the ton of youtube reviewers who talk about how great this is, many of them got free copies.
Ya think?

:3
IMG

HotJuicyBurgers

At what point does everyone think they will be priced out if they haven't already been? I've been thinking about this quite a bit for myself, especially for other systems that have much larger libraries with quite a few games in the 100 plus range. I love physical and owning a game as much as the next guy but I just feel like the hobby is fast approaching a point where it just doesn't make sense to go after most games.

I would think a situation like what is happening to me would eventually cause a bit of price decrease, but as far as I can tell there seems to be no shortage of people willing to pay the ever increasing prices.

CrackTiger

If you're afraid of being priced out and just want to play the games without issues, just play HuCards on a TED and spend the money you saved on CD games. For CD games that the Turbo version isn't necessary to play (Godzilla, Super Air Zonk, Terraforming, Dungeon Explorer II, Vasteel, etc) just buy the PCE version.

The difference between a fully functional set of Turbo games and a complete set of original Turbo collectible games is probably $20,000.

HotJuicyBurgers

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2015, 01:00 PMIf you're afraid of being priced out and just want to play the games without issues, just play HuCards on a TED and spend the money you saved on CD games. For CD games that the Turbo version isn't necessary to play (Godzilla, Super Air Zonk, Terraforming, Dungeon Explorer II, Vasteel, etc) just buy the PCE version.

The difference between a fully functional set of Turbo games and a complete set of original Turbo collectible games is probably $20,000.
It's not that i'm afraid of being priced out, I'm more curious how many people are close to, or have already been priced out. Just curious what is the point at which people say... "Ok. Maybe instead of buying 5 retro games a month, i'll buy 3, or 2, or maybe 1."

For a lot of us collecting these games is a passion that I don't think will stop anytime soon, but speaking from personal experience, I can definitely say I've slowed down on buying things for "full price."

geise

What is full price though?  That can mean anything to collectors.  Maybe you meant to say "Premium"?  I know what you mean though.  I barely buy anything anymore.  Luckily I was around as a Turbo fan when it was fully available everywhere when it was released.  It is the system where I never sold any of my games, so I haven't had to deal with this craziness.

NecroPhile

Unless you've decided that only the $100+ games are worth owning, you can't get priced out of shit.  For every overpriced Dynastic Hero there's a dozen comparatively cheap games that are worth less than original MSRP.

HotJuicyBurgers

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2015, 03:49 PMUnless you've decided that only the $100+ games are worth owning, you can't get priced out of shit.  For every overpriced Dynastic Hero there's a dozen comparatively cheap games that are worth less than original MSRP.
Of course there is a price spectrum, and some games are cheap, but more likely than not, a lot of people pick up the cheap, good games relatively fast.

I'm not really talking about collecting for those that want a full set of something I suppose. That has never really interested me, but more collecting and finding games I enjoy, popping a game into the system and getting some really enjoyment out of my hobby. (Although scoring a sweet deal sometimes is even better  :wink:)