OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorIng

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 10/04/2015, 08:15 AMEmperorIng, I think you will be fine, lukester is correct, the only thing you will be missing is the item names.
I did read somewhere that what shop items are available is affected by your stats (CP?). Is the idea to just mix-n-match armor until your CP is as high as it can be in any given shop? Or did I get my facts wrong?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Elder on 10/04/2015, 10:30 AMI had never played Godzilla before and while I really enjoyed the build-up to the actual fights, the fights themselves I find are mediocre.  I know a lot of people really loved this game back in the day, but I find it was too slow.
You are dead to me.  :|
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PukeSter

Quote from: EmperorIng on 10/05/2015, 05:22 PM
Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 10/04/2015, 08:15 AMEmperorIng, I think you will be fine, lukester is correct, the only thing you will be missing is the item names.
I did read somewhere that what shop items are available is affected by your stats (CP?). Is the idea to just mix-n-match armor until your CP is as high as it can be in any given shop? Or did I get my facts wrong?
If you save up for the Crystal Armor, Crystal Sword and Crystal Shield, you will not need to bother buying other stuff for a while

I won't say where that stuff is, but it's in an area only Mouse Man can reach.

The Bird form's best shield is not the Legendary Shield, but it is found in a shop elsewhere.

Unless you are that crazy about playing a Japanese copy on original hardware, I would highly recommend buying the game on the Wii VC or just emulating. Why waste time with moonrunes?

EmperorIng

In a game that has so little text, there's little time wasted.

These Wonder Boy games are not Cosmic Fantasy or Auleria.

in99flames

What turbo game are we playing.....well i just moved so everything is still in boxes...but i think I will tackle Dungeon Explorer. I am new to turbo(only 1 year) and this is one i need to conquer.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Elder

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 05:42 PM
Quote from: Elder on 10/04/2015, 10:30 AMI had never played Godzilla before and while I really enjoyed the build-up to the actual fights, the fights themselves I find are mediocre.  I know a lot of people really loved this game back in the day, but I find it was too slow.
You are dead to me.  :|
Lol, sorry NecroPhile :(  I am a big fan of Godzilla movies, but for whatever reason I just couldn't get into the fighting.  I love the style of the game, and the build-up to the fights, but yeah, the actual gameplay just wasn't my cup of tea I suppose.

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: EmperorIng on 10/05/2015, 05:22 PM
Yes that's correct. That number is your charisma, if it is not high enough the shop keeper won't sell to you. So switch to the armor that increases your CP the most before entering a shop then switch back when done. Also enemies sometimes drop magic stones that perminatly increase your CP by 1.

grolt

Made it through MONSTER LAIR the other day.  It's a fun fusion of shooter and platformer, although it kind of overstays its welcome with so many levels with only small alterations in enemies and backgrounds each time.  The core gameplay is solid, like all Westone games, and the pace is such that this makes for a fun, quick jaunt whenever the mood strikes.  The bosses are big and interesting, and there's a real variety of them too.  Having a two-player simultaneous option sets this one apart from most of its peers, and Westone was pretty forward thinking in the way the two players can share the screen without getting in each other's way (like being able to just stand on top of the other character to cover greater ground).

There's no question the music is best in the TG-CD version (even better than the arcade, really), but it's a toss up for graphics between the Genny and TG.  The Genny has parallax scrolling in every level, sharper edging and better sprites for the main character (there's animated flight in the Genny and just a static sprite in the TG-CD).  The TG has naturally better colors, animates smoother, and generally has bigger, better-looking bosses.  I guess the main takeaway is that it's a good time whatever version you're playing!
I'm a notorious strange man.

Psycho Punch

Sharper edging? What does that mean?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NecroPhile

Quote from: grolt on 10/06/2015, 01:19 PMjust a static sprite in the TG-CD
Le wut?  It's more subtle than in the Genny version, but the dragon flaps his wings and wiggles his tail.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 10/06/2015, 01:19 PMMade it through MONSTER LAIR the other day.  It's a fun fusion of shooter and platformer, although it kind of overstays its welcome with so many levels with only small alterations in enemies and backgrounds each time.  The core gameplay is solid, like all Westone games, and the pace is such that this makes for a fun, quick jaunt whenever the mood strikes.  The bosses are big and interesting, and there's a real variety of them too.  Having a two-player simultaneous option sets this one apart from most of its peers, and Westone was pretty forward thinking in the way the two players can share the screen without getting in each other's way (like being able to just stand on top of the other character to cover greater ground).

There's no question the music is best in the TG-CD version (even better than the arcade, really), but it's a toss up for graphics between the Genny and TG.  The Genny has parallax scrolling in every level, sharper edging and better sprites for the main character (there's animated flight in the Genny and just a static sprite in the TG-CD).  The TG has naturally better colors, animates smoother, and generally has bigger, better-looking bosses.  I guess the main takeaway is that it's a good time whatever version you're playing!
The MegaDrive sprites are redrawn, which is not a problem (many home ports/conversions redrew sprites), except the MegaDrive sprites aren't nearly as cute as the arcade original.

Thus, TG-CD version is superior to MegaDrive.

Sure, it would be icing on the cake to have parallax scrolling in  the TG-CD version, but the aesthetics of TG-CD are significantly better.

Le Reference:
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Monster_Lair

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

seieienbu

Been playing Neutopia for the first time in 20 years.  Game is as I remember it; pretty good at being Zelda 1.  I made it to the Subterranean Sphere last night.  Here's hoping I can finish up next time I get the opportunity to play some games.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

grolt

Quote from: guest on 10/06/2015, 05:05 PMSharper edging? What does that mean?
My man esteban kind of articulated it for me in his response, but the re-drawn sprites for the Genny version have darker and finer edges (and more contrast) that stand out a little better when seen on a CRT.  The Turbo version, while arcade accurate, seems a little "softer" by comparison.

Quote from: guest on 10/06/2015, 05:20 PM
Quote from: grolt on 10/06/2015, 01:19 PMjust a static sprite in the TG-CD
Le wut?  It's more subtle than in the Genny version, but the dragon flaps his wings and wiggles his tail.
As a Canadian I appreciate this attempt to appeal to my bilingual sensibilities.  Looking back at it I can see there is a slight wiggle to the tail and wings, so my mistake, but the Genesis version has a much more elaborate animation for the wings, tail and feet.  Same with the hero sprite on top of the dragon, he's moving more than just the sword in the Genny version. Make no mistake, je t'aime les deux jeux.

Quote from: esteban on 10/06/2015, 05:37 PM
Quote from: grolt on 10/06/2015, 01:19 PMMade it through MONSTER LAIR the other day.  It's a fun fusion of shooter and platformer, although it kind of overstays its welcome with so many levels with only small alterations in enemies and backgrounds each time.  The core gameplay is solid, like all Westone games, and the pace is such that this makes for a fun, quick jaunt whenever the mood strikes.  The bosses are big and interesting, and there's a real variety of them too.  Having a two-player simultaneous option sets this one apart from most of its peers, and Westone was pretty forward thinking in the way the two players can share the screen without getting in each other's way (like being able to just stand on top of the other character to cover greater ground).

The MegaDrive sprites are redrawn, which is not a problem (many home ports/conversions redrew sprites), except the MegaDrive sprites aren't nearly as cute as the arcade original.

Thus, TG-CD version is superior to MegaDrive.

Sure, it would be icing on the cake to have parallax scrolling in  the TG-CD version, but the aesthetics of TG-CD are significantly better.

Le Reference:
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Monster_Lair

Thanks for clarifying and for the great link - seeing all the screens side by side makes it much easier to compare.  I prefer the re-drawn sprites half of the time in the Genny version, but when you're looking at the bosses there's no question the TG-CD version is far superior.  If we're talking arcade perfect though, Turbo does what Genedon't.

SplatterTrigger

I just gave Monster Lair another go myself.

esteban

@grolt: yes, I understand if you prefer the redrawn graphics for MegaDrive Monster Lair. I was more compassionate on the page I linked to, when I said that the redrawn art is "very fitting for the Wonderboy universe."

Also, I agree that the MegaDrive art has a stronger palette of colors (and more contrast) than the arcade (the most "washed-out" colors/contrast) and TG-CD (higher contrast version of arcade, but still close to arcade).

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shawnji

Finally beat The Dynastic Hero the other day.  Enjoyed that for what it was, but I've never been huge on that series of games.  I do want to play Monster World 4 at some point, though.

I also, just this evening, blazed through my new English copy of Ys III over the course of three hours and some change.  It's a ton of fun, but man is that acting bad...  Still, I'm very glad I own it.

I started up my (also just purchased) English copy of Ys I&II immediately after that and quit around the middle of the mines in book one so I could prep for bed.  I'm sure I'll probably finish it tomorrow night after work.  I'm actually debating trying to learn to speed run it, but I worry about the final fight of book two.

PukeSter

Dynastic Hero is good, but is definitely a disappointment compared to the original.

shawnji

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2015, 06:42 AMDynastic Hero is good, but is definitely a disappointment compared to the original.
I'm probably weird in that I prefer it simply on the merit of the CD audio.  The insect theme is a little goofy, though.

grendelrt

I tried out Mr Heli for the first time. Pretty cool little title, second boss smushed me a couple times though :(

EmperorIng

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2015, 06:42 AMDynastic Hero is good, but is definitely a disappointment compared to the original.
The color swaps and sprite changes are the most tragic things about the PC Engine Wonder Boy titles. At least Monster Lair made it through unscathed and the damage to Adventure Island is minimal.

Monster World IV is a touch easier than Wonder Boy in Monster World, and has less of an open world, but it does exude that charm and quality of late-era MD games. It was a very satisfying experience (only a hair less so than WB in Monster World).

I've nearly beaten Adventure Island myself (only the final dungeon remains). I think it's a shame that the game has so much armor and weapons packed so close to one another - you buy one set and its obsolete maybe 10 minutes later. Spending an astronomical 9000+ gold on the crystal armor is questionable when by the time you can buy it, the Legendary Armor is available, for free, by revisiting the first dungeon.

I did have to consult a FAQ a few times in order to discover that one set of armor makes you immune to lava and that the lucky sword increases the rate of money/charmstone drops.

EDIT:

Having beaten the game, here are some general notes:

While the different forms' abilities are neat, their impact is lessened somewhat by how the game prevents easier switching between them. The mouse can only go to the jungle, the tiger through the caves, etc. If you could change them more often they would feel a bit more fleshed out other than cute sprite-swap keys. The Lizard Man is next to worthless after getting the Mouse Man.

Potions are maddeningly inconsistent. They either heal some, all, or one heart of your health. There's no way to tell. Since they don't carry over saves, you have to grind money to buy them again and again. Or still make the long trek to the only shop that sells them.

The final boss's erratic patterns are a real pain. Stunlocking you across the entire room is unfair, given his random movement patterns. The worst though is combining the boss's high difficulty with the random nature of potions. The two together have made for a very un-fun experience.

All in all, the game was good. I am trying out Monster Land / Bikkuriman now, and it's certainly different (I'm not a fan of the one-life-or-nothing set up). Adventure Island was fun, but the succeeding Monster World games are just much more enjoyable experiences.

I also picked up Mr. Heli and Metal Stoker for my fix of neo hardboiled shooting. Metal Stoker is surprising in its quality - it's a very good game.

roflmao

I've been on a homebrew kick lately. Playing lots of Insanity and Pyramid Plunder.

Psycho Punch

Was playing Legendary Axe, finally beat the damn thing, but will probably play more tomorrow in search of a 1cc clear. I'm not happy with my final score:

IMG
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: guest on 10/18/2015, 03:32 AMWas playing Legendary Axe, finally beat the damn thing, but will probably play more tomorrow in search of a 1cc clear. I'm not happy with my final score:
Punch, congratulations on beating Legendary Axe. That was the first Turbo game I ever beat. Back in the day I could beat it any time I sat down to play it but I never could 1cc it. Good luck on your goal.

As for what I have been playing, life finally got out of the way for a bit and I could sit down to play some Cadash (thanks jordan  :) ). I forgot how easy the game was, haven't played it since the early 90s. After getting a couple levels from repeatedly killing the first enemy I flew through the game till I got to the fire/zombie village. Where I finally died on a spinning fire stick. I''l blame that on it being late and I was tired  :wink:. Great game, I can't wait to try again.

Gredler

I've been playing TV Sports Hockey. It's the bee's knees, I suggest giving it a chance. If you want it to be easy, to learn the game, play as Norway vs Czech.

johnnykonami

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 10/24/2015, 12:04 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/18/2015, 03:32 AMWas playing Legendary Axe, finally beat the damn thing, but will probably play more tomorrow in search of a 1cc clear. I'm not happy with my final score:
Punch, congratulations on beating Legendary Axe. That was the first Turbo game I ever beat. Back in the day I could beat it any time I sat down to play it but I never could 1cc it. Good luck on your goal.

As for what I have been playing, life finally got out of the way for a bit and I could sit down to play some Cadash (thanks jordan  :) ). I forgot how easy the game was, haven't played it since the early 90s. After getting a couple levels from repeatedly killing the first enemy I flew through the game till I got to the fire/zombie village. Where I finally died on a spinning fire stick. I''l blame that on it being late and I was tired  :wink:. Great game, I can't wait to try again.
I miss my Cadash, I can't believe I let that one go.  Great game, I originally fell in love with the arcade version - and of course the Turbo has the best port.  Gotta pick it up again one day.

EmperorIng

Playing a bit more of Auleria, basically seeing if I can beat it quickly and then sell it.  8-[

I like the game's aesthetics a whole lot, and the decent graphics + great music is a good way to keep me playing - though half the screen is taken up by a HUD, which lessens the "wow" of everything...

The single biggest inhibitor of enjoyment is the sheer amount of text to battle in order to progress the story. Moving the story along alone is half the challenge as it seems that areas only open up after talking to everyone around the map a few times.

It's quite confusing to go from map to map selecting choices that look visually similar, or opening an altogether too-complicated inventory system to use items you are not even sure what they do outside of experimentation. The item shops are annoying in that they do not tell you if the weapons you are buying are better or worse than what you already have, compounding the problem of picking out gear in a language not your own...

I hope the game is short so these language problems are offset.

blueraven

EmperorIng

I am pleasantly surprised that the PCE port of Kiki KaiKai is not a straight port but includes remixed levels with branching paths. I was not expecting that so booting up the game past level 1 was nicely satisfying.

Using autofire to quick-kill bosses doesn't work the same way because the turbo isn't as fast as MAME can be. This is a shame because you are far better served surviving the game by offing the bosses as fast as possible.

Psycho Punch

I'm challenging myself to beat Altered Beast CD... on a Duo. I'm sure I won't beat it soon but whatever it is kinda fun to play the game like avoiding the power orbs like that.

csgx1

I have to try that Altered Beast CD challenge again.  The farthest I was able to get to was the 2nd level plant boss.  It's tough and it takes a lot of time to get through a single level. 

I been playing Ghouls 'N Ghosts on the Supergrafx and got through the first loop for the first time.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

sn0zc0r3

Just got Lords of Thunder and I'm playing it through Magic Engine with a lightbox attached to the back of the tv. It doesn't add too much for this one, but it sure makes the intro look goddamn awesome.

https://youtu.be/6gs4RsY3mrA

shawnji

Playing Cotton on my Duo for the first time, as I got my very own copy of the Japanese version at long last.  I also finally got to the fifth stage.  I had a ridiculously long power-up bar and was blasting my way through everything until a stupid grim reaper hit me from behind.  It was all downhill from there...  I suck at shooters, but man do I love this one.  It's really addictive.

Jason_dicarlo85

Right now enjoying myself some bomberman and neutopia... My five year old is loving him some air zonk

Bardoly

Liquid Kids and Genji Tsushin Agedama - I'm going to beat them eventually.

CatPix

Dracula X - I've completed 96% of the game. Just gotta beat Dracula with damn dumb whipping Belmont jerk :D

(Dracula beaten by a 12 years old girl - I love you Japan   :mrgreen:)

geise

Quote from: CatPix on 11/02/2015, 09:21 AMDracula X - I've completed 96% of the game. Just gotta beat Dracula with damn dumb whipping Belmont jerk :D

(Dracula beaten by a 12 years old girl - I love you Japan   :mrgreen:)
Yeah the game is so much easier with her.  I like some of Richter's special attacks a lot more though.

PukeSter

Bonk's Revenge!! I think this is my 5th time beating it.

As someone who grew up with many AAA Nintendo platformers on the GBA (such as Mario World, DKC, Kirby, Yoshi's Island), I am still astonished at how much soul is packed into this little gem.

It may not be as long as those games, but there's an impressive amount of exploration packed in, even in the more linear levels. The enemy variety is excellent and I still can't get enough of the hamburgers and the butthead Bonk.

Even the bonus levels are fun, and I usually hate mini games.

I think Bonk 1 has the best atmosphere and Bonk 3 has the best exploration/boss fights, but Bonk 2 is overall the best package.

pixeljunkie

Power Golf 2, because it's rad. Also, started up Sword Master again...really wish I could find a guide for it. Right Stuff always have the best cut scenes. Sword Master is super polished.

grolt

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 11/02/2015, 11:02 PMPower Golf 2, because it's rad. Also, started up Sword Master again...really wish I could find a guide for it. Right Stuff always have the best cut scenes. Sword Master is super polished.
I've heard a lot of love here for Power Golf 2 - what makes it so good? I've played the first game a few times and have had a lot of difficulty finding consistency with the timing of the power bar - if you're off the slightest bit it's off to the woods for your Titleist...

roflmao

Quote from: grolt on 11/03/2015, 10:19 AMI've heard a lot of love here for Power Golf 2 - what makes it so good? I've played the first game a few times and have had a lot of difficulty finding consistency with the timing of the power bar - if you're off the slightest bit it's off to the woods for your Titleist...
I recently burned an ISO of Power Golf 2 to see what all the hoopla is around this game and it's like night and day compared to the first one. I never could get used to the power bar in the first one but the second one is much more forgiving. It's a much better game in so many respects.

Psycho Punch

Just beaten Bonk's Adventure. An easy game considering it's my first time playing it!!!

blueraven

Had some fun with GoT & LoT the other night with my roommate, and got in a few rounds of Hero Tonma before it was all over.

Back to Terraforming.

High Score Thread:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19996.0[/url

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: guest on 11/04/2015, 12:52 AMJust beaten Bonk's Adventure. An easy game considering it's my first time playing it!!!
Bonk games are the best on the system.

I been messing with R-Type and Blazing Lazers. Somewhere in the middle stages of both those games. I'm not pro at shooters.

PukeSter

Just beat Lords of Thunder. What an amazing game!

Great stage design, imaginative enemies and an epic soundtrack. And a cool shop.

Definitely the "Rondo of shooters". A+ stuff

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 11/05/2015, 09:14 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 11/04/2015, 12:52 AMJust beaten Bonk's Adventure. An easy game considering it's my first time playing it!!!
Bonk games are the best on the system.

I been messing with R-Type and Blazing Lazers. Somewhere in the middle stages of both those games. I'm not pro at shooters.
I always go back to RTYPE only to fail over and over at the mid stage checkpoint on level 4...

ginoscope

Had to work late last night until about 10pm from home.  Afterward I could not sleep so it was time to play.

I played all the way through Double Dragon II on the super cd.  This was a pretty good version of the game and the music was nice.

The platform jumps weren't as annoying as the nes veriosn of this game.  Overall the duo put me to bed lol. 

Still trying to finish Cosmic Fantasy 2 I am really close to the end but losing interest in the game.  These old RPGs can be pretty annoying.  I may devote some time to it this weekend.

ginoscope

Quote from: guest on 11/05/2015, 10:34 PMJust beat Lords of Thunder. What an amazing game!

Great stage design, imaginative enemies and an epic soundtrack. And a cool shop.

Definitely the "Rondo of shooters". A+ stuff
I just put Lords of Thunder on the other day and man is that intro epic.  It gets you so pumped up to play the game.  I need to play through that again soon.

NightWolve

Quote from: ginoscope on 11/06/2015, 04:50 PMI just put Lords of Thunder on the other day and man is that intro epic.  It gets you so pumped up to play the game.  I need to play through that again soon.
It's a good soundtrack, with one track that really stands out, but the Gate of Thunder soundtrack was just fantastic, so much better and one of the greatest in videogame history I think next to the Ys titles.

Psycho Punch

I'm playing all sorts of stuff, but mainly China Warrior and R-Type (the last one through the Super Hucard iso, don't have the actual chip). Funny that I received the booties but really didn't touch any besides to test em. Maybe I'll play some M&M3 later, that's a game that I've been always looking forward to play.