OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grolt

Thanks for the little lesson, Ing and esteban.  Definitely will seek some of that stuff out - love me my Saturn so I'll try to find a decently priced Wolf Fang there.

I get VEIGUES a little rest because SOLDIER BLADE showed up in the mail and I had to pop that in.  So far it's great.  Hudson really does a good job tweaking the formula just enough with the SOLDIER series to make the next entry feel fresh but still familiar.  Endless continues sure helps, and I think that's the way to do it - let someone continue to tackle the level from the beginning until they master it rather than forcing them to slog through the previous levels again only to get stymied on that same level again.  The difficulty is such where, like R-Type, if you spend enough time learning the patterns you can position yourself in the later levels to eek through.  Tons of variety in enemies and attack patterns, each boss is different and full of surprises, and each level does something interesting with the background and setting to keep things from getting stale.  What a great series!
I'm a notorious strange man.

technozombie

Just finished Dynastic Hero, thanks again for those who made it possible for me to play it.  I had never really thought about how it was a Metroidvania type of game, before Castlevania ever started doing it. I guess Metroidworld isn't as catchy as Metroidvania. I definitely had a good time playing, but I think I liked Dragon's Curse a bit better.

grolt

Quote from: technozombie on 01/02/2016, 09:32 PMI definitely had a good time playing, but I think I liked Dragon's Curse a bit better.
Agreed.  I really admire the level design in Dragon's Curse, how you can go through the same little world 5 different times and get a different experience each time based on what form you're currently sporting.  By comparison, Dynastic Hero is more of a polished Wonder Boy in Monster Land, solid but pretty straightforward.  For me, Dragon's Curse is one of the best platformers ever made.

Finished SOLDIER BLADE today.  What a kickass game.  I was able to do pretty well at it, but Stage 6 really took it to me for hours until I could finally figure out the end boss there.  Thank god for the power shots and the invincibility kamikazes!  Once I made it to the final boss rush stage it was relatively a cakewalk in comparison, with really the first boss being the most challenging.  Loved the game and the difficulty - it was just right.  To my surprise the Challenge Mode is a real great time too - a whole other level that's just filled with easy things to blast away.  With the extra modes and the score save function (don't know why more games didn't utilize this from the get go with the TurboBooster), this shooter has the most polish on the Turbo from all the games I've tried thus far.

I was never much of a shooter fan before I really started to dive deep (literally in Deep Blue!) into the TG-16 library, but now they're some of my favorite games and I can't seem to get enough.  I'm addicted - help!

Gypsy

Fired up Cosmic Fantasy 2. It's pretty much what I expected.

Dangeross

First Post, thanks for letting me in the community.

I never had or played a TG16 growing up so now at 38 I finally snagged one. I did an A/V mod right away and that worked great but had issues with the controller not working all of the time. If I wiggled the connector it would work sometimes so I assumed it was the port and did all kinds of fixes and testing. In the end a pin inside the controller end was broken so it only made contact once in a while hence the wiggling.

Anyway I ordered a new controller and I am currently waiting to get it, I got to play about 10 minutes of Legendary Axe and can't wait to play through it. I'm really excited to have an entire pool of games I know nothing about really, I currently only have 6 games (Legendary Axe, Order of the Griffon, Victory Run, Keith Courage, Space Harrier, and Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf)

Any recommendations for games to try and find?

Thanks

MNKyDeth

Quote from: Dangeross on 01/05/2016, 01:01 PMAny recommendations for games to try and find?

Thanks
Btw, welcome to the forum.

What type of games are you mostly into, there are a ton of great games. But if you want to focus on a certain area/type of game, it might help to know your interests. :)

ginoscope

Quote from: Dangeross on 01/05/2016, 01:01 PMFirst Post, thanks for letting me in the community.

I never had or played a TG16 growing up so now at 38 I finally snagged one. I did an A/V mod right away and that worked great but had issues with the controller not working all of the time. If I wiggled the connector it would work sometimes so I assumed it was the port and did all kinds of fixes and testing. In the end a pin inside the controller end was broken so it only made contact once in a while hence the wiggling.

Anyway I ordered a new controller and I am currently waiting to get it, I got to play about 10 minutes of Legendary Axe and can't wait to play through it. I'm really excited to have an entire pool of games I know nothing about really, I currently only have 6 games (Legendary Axe, Order of the Griffon, Victory Run, Keith Courage, Space Harrier, and Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf)

Any recommendations for games to try and find?

Thanks
Hey there and welcome to the forum.  If you want to know more about games I would recommend checking out this youtube channel.  It's from one of our members and he does a great job reviewing games for the TG16/PCE.

https://www.youtube.com/user/spida1a

Dangeross

I'm into RPG's and action/adventure type games mostly.

gheebee

Just finished playing a bit of Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair and managed to make it to level 14. I got a bit farther than I've ever gotten before but it always seems like I lose the majority of my lives in this game around the same time. Like it doesn't matter how good I'm doing or where I am, if I die then I'll usually die again not long after. The game is frustrating but in spite of this it is probably my most played CD game. They really did a good job on this one, especially on the music but the graphics are nice too.

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 01/05/2016, 06:42 PMJust finished playing a bit of Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair and managed to make it to level 14. I got a bit farther than I've ever gotten before but it always seems like I lose the majority of my lives in this game around the same time. Like it doesn't matter how good I'm doing or where I am, if I die then I'll usually die again not long after. The game is frustrating but in spite of this it is probably my most played CD game. They really did a good job on this one, especially on the music but the graphics are nice too.
If you don't become frustrated, there are so many weapon pickups that you can easily get back into the game.

Of course, I know that the game is challenging...it took me YEARS to beat the damn game ;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

technozombie

Quote from: Dangeross on 01/05/2016, 01:19 PMI'm into RPG's and action/adventure type games mostly.
Neutopia, Dragon's Curse, and Dungeon Explorer are all great games in the action / adventure style. If you get a CD add-on or a Duo there are a lot more options for RPGs.

grolt

Quote from: Dangeross on 01/05/2016, 01:19 PMI'm into RPG's and action/adventure type games mostly.
Try the Quest modes in WORLD COURT TENNIS and FINAL LAP TWIN. Both cool twists on the RPG and some of the cheapest games on the system.  DOUBLE DUNGEONS is another cheap RPG (dungeon crawler) that has a fun split-screen 2-player mode. As was said earlier though, most of the good RPGs like Ys, Dragon Slayer, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile, Dungeon Explorer 2, Dynastic Hero, etc. are on the TG-CD.

Bardoly

GoldenWheels

Played some Avenger last night....played it WAY longer than I intended too!

Dangeross

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to look into a Turbo Duo in the future, I have ordered a Ted to fill the gap in my collection and hopefully my controller gets here today, I'm excited.

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 01/05/2016, 08:33 PMIf you don't become frustrated, there are so many weapon pickups that you can easily get back into the game.

Of course, I know that the game is challenging...it took me YEARS to beat the damn game ;)
Lots of weapons but not enough chances for extra lives! :] I think it will be a long time before I give up on this one because I have been determined to beat it ever since I started playing it.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/06/2016, 10:15 AMPlayed some Avenger last night....played it WAY longer than I intended too!
I like the damn game. Nothing special...but the soundtrack. I dig it. And I am starved for shootemups.

EmperorIng

I "managed" a 1CC of Spriggan today. Fun game that is way too easy on Normal. Easy enough for me to beat it, I suppose. The higher difficulties are a bit more rewarding though they lack the oomph that Super Aleste's Tricky and Wild difficulties give to that game.

Still, pretty high-quality.

Also played a little more Super Darius II. It feels like sprite flicker makes boss bullets disappear, which really throws off my game in a way I don't like. The zoomed-in play-field makes some enemies and attacks difficult to anticipate in a needlessly frustrating way.

Also some more Travel Eple... Game's wearing thin on me. Maybe it's having to replay the entire chapter if you lose to a boss, and going through sloppy map after sloppy map with goofy AI.

gheebee

After many, many hours of playing and much anger, I finally beat Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair! It was a close call as I was on the last life of my last continue when I finally killed the second form of the final boss. For a second I thought there was more after that but I was very relieved when I found that all I had to do was walk forward and pick up the legendary items. I know I already posted in the other thread but I'm pretty pleased with myself right now... :]

synbiosfan

Played a little Splatterhouse Chrome. I'd like to beat it sometime ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 01/14/2016, 08:07 PMAfter many, many hours of playing and much anger, I finally beat Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair! It was a close call as I was on the last life of my last continue when I finally killed the second form of the final boss. For a second I thought there was more after that but I was very relieved when I found that all I had to do was walk forward and pick up the legendary items. I know I already posted in the other thread but I'm pretty pleased with myself right now... :]
It took me a long, long time to 1CC Monster Lair.

It feels great to beat the damn game.

:)

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 01/15/2016, 01:26 AMIt feels great to beat the damn game.

It really does, now I can focus on other aspects of the game without thinking so much about beating it. Going to work on playing as player 2 and not relying on rockets so much for the bosses.

gheebee

Just beat Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure. The first time I tried this game I didn't really think much of it for some reason but now that I've taken some time to do more than just check it out I'd say that it was a pretty good game, really easy (I had like 19 lives left when it was over...) but still pretty good and a worthy entry into the series. The big and small powerups seemed kind of stupid at first and I thought they would make the game less enjoyable but I grew to like them enough, you mostly use them to find secrets and get hard to reach items and they're both plentiful and will respawn if you mess up and/or actually need them. For some reason I pictured them making the game less enjoyable. The levels seemed a bit bigger than the other games and had a lot more secrets to find, on some levels I felt almost like I had spent as much time playing bonus games as I did the level itself. Love the floating floret sprung game too even though it, just like the rest of the game, is pretty easy.
Thanks again, Turbob Express!

geise

Boxy Boy.  At level 72 now.  BTW this has been ongoing since right around xmas :lol:

NecroPhile

Quote from: geise on 01/16/2016, 09:23 PMBoxy Boy.  At level 72 now.  BTW this has been ongoing since right around xmas :lol:
Only 178 levels to go!  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 01/06/2016, 04:46 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/06/2016, 10:15 AMPlayed some Avenger last night....played it WAY longer than I intended too!
I like the damn game. Nothing special...but the soundtrack. I dig it. And I am starved for shootemups.
I'll tell you what....I'd even go so far as to say I REALLY like it  8) . Great tunes, I like the selectable power ups (I'm a rockets/missle man, but I also haven't gotten past level 6, sooo....), and I kinda like the unique way your ship fires slightly left or right as you move. I picked up a ton of shooters after Christmas (thanks to eBay gift cards and some guy apparently cleaning out his collection at a fortuitous time) and Avenger is one of my favs so far.

On the "not favs" list": Power Gate! Eww. Just eww. I found redeeming qualities even in P-47, but not Power Gate.

Been playing Bikkuriman World lately, pretty fun, though I admit I pretty much suck at it. I went for a walkthrough once I realized how much time I was wasting buying power ups which I had no idea the purpose of.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/18/2016, 06:38 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/06/2016, 04:46 PM
I'll tell you what....I'd even go so far as to say I REALLY like it  8) . Great tunes, I like the selectable power ups (I'm a rockets/missle man, but I also haven't gotten past level 6, sooo....), and I kinda like the unique way your ship fires slightly left or right as you move. I picked up a ton of shooters after Christmas (thanks to eBay gift cards and some guy apparently cleaning out his collection at a fortuitous time) and Avenger is one of my favs so far.

On the "not favs" list": Power Gate! Eww. Just eww. I found redeeming qualities even in P-47, but not Power Gate.

Been playing Bikkuriman World lately, pretty fun, though I admit I pretty much suck at it. I went for a walkthrough once I realized how much time I was wasting buying power ups which I had no idea the purpose of.
Yes, I like the unique way your bullet stream leans left/right. 

There is a game like Power Gate, but better, IMHO: Hawk F-123.

It is NOT a great game...kinda more akin to a budget game...but for some reason I find it slightly charming.

Plus, I thought it would be really easy and I found it challenging.

Some occasionally inspired tunes. OK, maybe one one slightly interesting tune.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because you are crazy like me and tried to find something good in Power Gate. That's why.

You are a desperate masochist for shootemups.

EmperorIng

It was watching videos of Avenger that I realized how many shooter games with helicopters do that "lean left to right" gimmick: Gyrodine, Thunder Dragon, Under Defeat... It must be like a rule if you make a heli shmup.  :wink:

OT: Playing Super Raiden and Xevious Fardraut Densetsu. Xevious FD surprised me with how good it is, but I don't know if having stages that are longer than some entire shmups is good for repeat play.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 01/18/2016, 11:56 PMYes, I like the unique way your bullet stream leans left/right. 

There is a game like Power Gate, but better, IMHO: Hawk F-123.

It is NOT a great game...kinda more akin to a budget game...but for some reason I find it slightly charming.

Plus, I thought it would be really easy and I found it challenging.

Some occasionally inspired tunes. OK, maybe one one slightly interesting tune.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because you are crazy like me and tried to find something good in Power Gate. That's why.

You are a desperate masochist for shootemups.

Ha! Hawk-123  is one I don't have, and I have a SHIT TON of shooterto put some time into before I go looking again, but I'll keep it in mind. Shootemups is why I  finally branched out from Turbo into PC Engine (though there are some good PCE action games too for sure).

I tried playing 'Legion' for the first time last night....I started it kinda late and can't say I gave it much time, but my early impressions were not good. Hell I had lost three ships before the freaking voiceover had even stopped in level 1. Man that is distracting.

EmperorIng

Legion is usually ranked as one of the worst shooters on the system, so I don't think you're missing much (outside of the cheesy voice-over) if you skip it.

Also, Hawk F-123 is just Power Gate with redbook audio. I would imagine if you don't like Power Gate, Hawk F-123 is not going to change your mind!

I was playing Hana Taaka Daka last night. I feel a bit middling about the game. Lovely graphics, but stages are paced slowly, your hitbox becomes comically large, and I am not a fan of games where you can't use autofire because of an over-emphasized charge shot. There are some neat weapons and ideas (particularly love the flying castle stage), but it gets sore on the thumb to constantly be holding down to charge shots because larger enemies are too tough otherwise.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: EmperorIng on 01/19/2016, 10:27 AMLegion is usually ranked as one of the worst shooters on the system, so I don't think you're missing much (outside of the cheesy voice-over) if you skip it.

Also, Hawk F-123 is just Power Gate with redbook audio. I would imagine if you don't like Power Gate, Hawk F-123 is not going to change your mind!

I was playing Hana Taaka Daka last night. I feel a bit middling about the game. Lovely graphics, but stages are paced slowly, your hitbox becomes comically large, and I am not a fan of games where you can't use autofire because of an over-emphasized charge shot. There are some neat weapons and ideas (particularly love the flying castle stage), but it gets sore on the thumb to constantly be holding down to charge shots because larger enemies are too tough otherwise.
The Legion voice over in level one alone was cracking me up. That is some high melodrama acting for a shooter game.

Will keep that in mind on Hawk.

I agree 100% on charge shot games (over emphasized or not). I'm an auto fire man--I mean fer crissakes it's built into the controller. I play R-type (somewhat poorly, I will admit) with no charge shots. Luckily (?) Hana Taaka Daka looks to be out of my price range anyway.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: EmperorIng on 01/19/2016, 12:35 AMIt was watching videos of Avenger that I realized how many shooter games with helicopters do that "lean left to right" gimmick: Gyrodine, Thunder Dragon, Under Defeat... It must be like a rule if you make a heli shmup.  :wink:

OT: Playing Super Raiden and Xevious Fardraut Densetsu. Xevious FD surprised me with how good it is, but I don't know if having stages that are longer than some entire shmups is good for repeat play.
I think Tiger Heli breaks the rule!  :D

ginoscope

I been playing Valis II and I need some tips for stage 5.  This stage is frustrating me with those annoying spike balls.

I made it as far as the mid boss lizard with the sword.  My energy was so low I didn't last long against him.

Any tips?

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/19/2016, 11:19 AM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 01/19/2016, 10:27 AMLegion is usually ranked as one of the worst shooters on the system, so I don't think you're missing much (outside of the cheesy voice-over) if you skip it.

The Legion voice over in level one alone was cracking me up. That is some high melodrama acting for a shooter game.

Will keep that in mind on Hawk.

I agree 100% on charge shot games (over emphasized or not). I'm an auto fire man--I mean fer crissakes it's built into the controller. I play R-type (somewhat poorly, I will admit) with no charge shots. Luckily (?) Hana Taaka Daka looks to be out of my price range anyway.
Damn it, Emperor ruined Hawk F-123 for you. Of course, what I did (deceptively promote Hawk F-123) could be considered cruel...so maybe he did the right thing.

Maybe.

LEGION: OK, I still haven't really played this game much. Someone (cccovell?) once explained that although Legion gets a bad reputation, it is a fundamentally misunderstood game. Kinda like how Deep Blue, another grossly misunderstood game, requires a non-standard strategy/philosophy (i.e., don't try to kill everything).

I don't know. I still haven't given Deep Blue (yet) another chance to win me over. I doubt I'll be playing Legion this week to give it another chance, either.

We shall see.

GoldenWheels

I'm gonna watch out for you Esteban!  :-k

I tried Legion again last night, I was determined to give it a shot....this game is so MOTHER&$%#&#( cheap, on level one!!!!! I'll try to adapt my style but...damn! CHEAP!

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/20/2016, 07:27 AMI'm gonna watch out for you Esteban!  :-k

I tried Legion again last night, I was determined to give it a shot....this game is so MOTHER&$%#&#( cheap, on level one!!!!! I'll try to adapt my style but...damn! CHEAP!
It's a "dodge-em-up"...

GoldenWheels

Jeez how long is Avenger? I was mistaken, I had not gotten to level 6. I have JUST gotten to the end of level 5 last night...and (without using cheats) it looks like there are at least two upgrade slots left. So at least two more levels?

BTW, just for the fuck of it I tried playing Final Lap Twin last night with a PS2 racing wheel, run through a PS2 to Turbografx converter, that I then ran into a Turbob to PC engine converter cable, and finally into my Duo.

It actually sort of worked, except the pedals. Can't get them to work (which kind of kills it). And oh yeah, you have to turn the wheel like a MADMAN to get ANY response. Maybe I'll try another wheel tonight, I have three. The operative element seems to actually be beer--because at the time this seemed like a good idea.

Warbucks

martinine

Finally finished Cosmic Fantasy 2 during Winter Storm Jonas. Luckily no power outages. I played about mid-way through and accidentally started a new game (back last May), which (bad design) erases all old saves. Having turbo on the buttons while choosing didn't help. It jus blew through the "Are you sure?" Screen.

Overall, there are some things I found terribly tedious, and I love old JRPGs. For instance, I've played through Dragon Warrior twice in 2015. But, my judgement may be clouded by the fact I had to restart.

So for what it's worth, I think Y's Book 1 & 2, did amazing work at the same time this was released. CF2 has some good moments, there are just some slow parts in between. I blame Victor Ireland. I bet the Japanese version leveled more quickly or something. That being said, at the time of release, CF2 was amazing, and I remember being so stoked to play it. Maybe 20 years of waiting built me up for a fall, but I think the game is mediocre. The menu system drives me nuts. Graphics are impressive. Story is average, but not bad. Music overall is fantastic, but the fight music is grating. Thoughts?
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

chemdream

I've been addicted to Bomberman '94 lately. The music is constantly stuck in my head now.
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

martinine

Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

grolt

Have been busy but managed to get a few minutes in of Cratermaze. Easy game but fun with the variety and upgradeability of all the power ups. I always consider Turbo to be the king of shooters, but when you look at Crater, Chew Man Fu, Splash Lake, and the Bombermans, it was pretty damn good at the top down puzzlers too!

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 01/26/2016, 11:16 PMHave been busy but managed to get a few minutes in of Cratermaze. Easy game but fun with the variety and upgradeability of all the power ups. I always consider Turbo to be the king of shooters, but when you look at Crater, Chew Man Fu, Splash Lake, and the Bombermans, it was pretty damn good at the top down puzzlers too!
Le Batman

GoldenWheels

Played some Space Invaders last night....what I assume was the "classic mode" selection on the left was pretty damn boring but the right hand option on the title screen for like a remixed/new graphics version (with power ups!) is pretty fun.

RSS

Power Sports - Training mode. Shooting -  Clay pigeon shooting

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 01/27/2016, 08:56 AMPlayed some Space Invaders last night....what I assume was the "classic mode" selection on the left was pretty damn boring but the right hand option on the title screen for like a remixed/new graphics version (with power ups!) is pretty fun.
Classic mode sucks.

It's the updated version that is totally fun.  :)

GoldenWheels

Definitely Esteban. Love the power ups in the updated mode, and how much faster it plays...I really hate the diagonal shots the enemies now throw at you though.

spawnshop

Been playing Sidearms and Aero Blasters.   I'm not very good at both....haha.
Sidearms is cool, but crazy hectic.  I like Aero Blaster better though.

martinine

I played Aeroblasters last night. Pretty tough. I remember thinking it was SO hard when I was a kid. My buddy bought Aeroblasters and I bought Sidearms the same day. I was jealous. The parallax is awesome in Aeroblasters. I STILL can't beat Sidearms.

On a side note, I've been playing a lot of Gate of Thunder. So good. Just like everyone, I wish the background music was louder.

esteban

Quote from: martinine on 02/06/2016, 09:12 PMI played Aeroblasters last night. Pretty tough. I remember thinking it was SO hard when I was a kid. My buddy bought Aeroblasters and I bought Sidearms the same day. I was jealous. The parallax is awesome in Aeroblasters. I STILL can't beat Sidearms.

On a side note, I've been playing a lot of Gate of Thunder. So good. Just like everyone, I wish the background music was louder.
Quote from: spawnshop on 02/06/2016, 05:00 PMBeen playing Sidearms and Aero Blasters.   I'm not very good at both....haha.
Sidearms is cool, but crazy hectic.  I like Aero Blaster better though.
They are both challenging games, and I like shootemups.

So don't feel bad if it takes a lot of practice with both games.