Xanadu I and II - General Translation Project(s) Thread

Started by SamIAm, 10/22/2015, 06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deubeul

The way you guys are working and thinking on that translation is fantastic. I think everybody here would have been content with a averagely correct translation of the Xanadus but you're going to offer us an over-polished one, that even a big editor wouldn't have done. That's amazing.

incrediblehark

Very excited to see both of these games translated! Falcom is one of the best, and from what I played stumbling thorough Xanadu 1 with no functioning use of the Japanese language I still had a great time. Will be 100x better when I can understand it!

SamIAm

Chapter 6 is 50% done.

Thanks to elmer's spectacular hacking work, I was able to use an easy toolchain and a fully working inserter to play-test-edit the prologue chapter for a stupid amount of time today. All kinds of little problems related to my end cropped up. There were typos, formatting errors, a few contextual mistakes, and lots of lines that just plain didn't work well and needed tweaking. I don't know how many lines I edited, but it was several dozen at least, I'm sure.

I have a workflow down a little bit, and I'm pretty sure I made fewer dumb mistakes as I went into later chapters, but this editing process will be very time consuming nonetheless. I'll probably have to spend up to 10 hours on each chapter for one really good play-test-edit, and I'll probably want to do up to three of those for each of the twelve chapters before we're done.

This prologue chapter works a whole lot better now, but it doesn't sing yet. I want to get it there.

MNKyDeth

Every time I click on this thread I get so excited. Always wanting to know what was said for the next little tidbit of info you guys give out.

Then I see other people post and I don't see anything new, kinda like this post I just typed and I get let down because it wasn't new info. lol

Anyways, I can't wait for this. I love old RPG's especially ones I can understand. :D

SamIAm

I play-tested through the first part of Chapter 1 (not to be confused with the Prologue) this morning, and my guess about getting my bearings and doing less dumb stuff from one chapter to the next seems to be right so far. What I saw still needed some touching up, but on the whole, things were functioning at a higher level and needed less reworking.

If I'm lucky, my drafts of Chapters 3 and beyond will be even closer to the mark.

Now back to work on Chapter 6! I want it finished and proofread within a week!

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/11/2016, 08:33 PMI play-tested through the first part of Chapter 1 (not to be confused with the Prologue) this morning, and my guess about getting my bearings and doing less dumb stuff from one chapter to the next seems to be right so far. What I saw still needed some touching up, but on the whole, things were functioning at a higher level and needed less reworking.
Excellent! I'm glad that the toolchain seems to be working properly, and that you've not found anything missing (so far).  :dance:

The pretty screenshots are your responsibility, now!  :wink:

JoshTurboTrollX

This is spectacular guys!  Completely floored.

+50 Turbo Karma to you both!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MNKyDeth

I have a question.

I bought both Xanadu 1 and 2 a month or two ago because I saw this translation project.

Today... I finally put the discs into my system for the first time ever. All I can say is, I have no idea what is going on in the intro's but I can already feel the story must be intense from the music and omg!! the intro to Xanadu 2 was like what? 30min? I have no idea but it was long and the music made me want to play this now but I am waiting. Waiting ever so patiently. Also, you guys need to figure out a paypal or something for donations and make it public for us, imo.

My question is, I know you guys are doing text, but is the voice being done as well?

SamIAm

I actually made a dub for Xanadu II already, back in 2011. I intend to make one for Xanadu I, as well.

Xanadu II has about 20 minutes of voice-acted scenes, while Xanadu I has nearly one hour. Xanadu I is also going to need a lot of actors. I'm not going to worry about all that for a few more months, though.

Thanks for your interest and encouragement. It's invigorating to see people talking about this.

Money is...something else. We'll talk about it another day. For now, don't worry, this project is in no danger of stagnating due to lack of monetary motivation.

SamIAm

I had a really good couple of days at my job where cancelled appointments and a low workload helped me get to 100% for Chapter 6. Now I just have to proofread.

Doing that will put me at approximately 64% complete for the whole game, not counting the play-test-editing phase and whatever else. My wife is having our first kid in June, so I'm gunning hard to get this as close to releasable as possible before the big day arrives.

I'm thinking April will probably be a good time to get started on the dub project(s).

SamIAm

Booyah. Chapter 6 is 100% proofread, Chapter 1 has had one complete playtest, and I'm midway through playing Chapter 7 in order to begin translating it.

That one's the fat chapter. When it's finished, I'll be 3/4 of the way done with this entire first draft phase.

Also, Chapter 1 definitely didn't need much reworking in the play-test phase. If the other chapters go similarly well, this shouldn't be too bad at all.

Vimtoman

Your rolling down hill SamIAm.

Well done keep it up.

SamIAm

Chapter 7 is at 35%.

My goal is to get it done by the end of the month.

In addition to having the most text, Chapter 7 has some of the roughest fetch-questing in the game. I remember it having me at my wit's end the first time I played Xanadu I three years ago. This time, with the help of a map I found on the Japanese internet, it was nowhere near as bad.

I'm hoping we can get maps of every chapter and release a guide on gamefaqs.com or something, because even if you don't want to use them at every turn, just being able to firmly grasp the general layout of each chapter-area makes a huge difference. Also, it prevents Chapter 3 from being a maddening chore.

I have maps for chapters 0-5 from a preview-guidebook I bought and scanned, and handmade maps for chapters 7, 10 and 11 are available online. I wonder if we can do anything to fill in the blanks?

Has anyone heard of a tool that helps assemple multiple screenshots into a single seamless image? With the debug mode, and with the way the main character turns into a ghost that can wander anywhere when he dies, we could actually make our own maps without too much trouble if we don't have to manually line up dozens and dozens of screenshots.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/19/2016, 04:34 AMHas anyone heard of a tool that helps assemple multiple screenshots into a single seamless image?
Photoshop does a pretty good job of it, either using its built in panorama stitcher tool thing or doing it manually by nudging layers until the line up.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

seieienbu

I've used gimp for that a few times but I did it with a very low-tech method of copy/paste and lining stuff up manually.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SamIAm

Quote from: guest on 01/19/2016, 12:54 PMPhotoshop does a pretty good job of it, either using its built in panorama stitcher tool thing or doing it manually by nudging layers until the line up.
"Stitching tool" sounds like just what I need. Googling that brings up a bunch of promising-looking stuff.

I don't really have time to burn on this now, but I might check later (or someone else could, wink wink nudge nudge). I'm a little afraid of tools that are too "smart" for their own good and wind up distorting things when there should be just a simple pixel-for-pixel overlap along the edges.

Although animating water tiles would be a pain. Damn, I didn't think about that...

Gredler

This is something I would do by hand until I find a pattern that can be recorded into an action and batch processed onto a selection of files, or use imagemagick.

Do you have access to photoshop? I can setup the action for you if you send me example files and tell me how you want them processed/end goal.

There are a lot of shareware options out there, as you said from your google searching. ( https://www.photostitcher.com/ is the first one I saw that stood out as a easy option)

Also, if you have windows 10 you can use in OS tools to make it happen,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/photo-gallery-create-panoramas-fuse-photos

Excerpt of the pertinent info:
QuoteTo create a panorama [ or fuse multiple images together]

Take a series of photos from a single vantage point so that each photo overlaps the one preceding it and import them into Photo Gallery.

Select the photos you're going to use, and on the Create tab, in the Tools group, click Panorama. Photo Gallery will align the photos and combine them into a new composition.

To crop a finished panorama, on the Edit tab, in the Adjustments group, click Crop"
I can look into gimp a bit and see if there's a easy script you can use, gimps scripting tools are pretty nice and the community has hobbled together a large repository of useful tools though I have little experience with gimp outside of using it to correct palettes for sprites

SamIAm

Thanks, Gredler. If you're interested in looking into this further yourself, I can provide you with a few screenshots. Right now, I'm too deep in the translation side to look into anything else. If you're busy, though, I'll still take the information you've provided and try some things myself later.

-------------------------

Chapter 7 is at about 65%.

Also, I'm almost done with the first play-test of Chapter 2.

There's been a few more bumps this time around. In particular, there was one scene that I had really goofed up. There are about five people in it, and I was assuming that one set of lines was being spoken by one character when it was really spoken by another. There are codes in the script to tell me who is speaking, but they change from script to script, and I don't always check every last one.

Extensive play-testing is very, very important. :D

Gredler

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/21/2016, 08:47 PMThanks, Gredler. If you're interested in looking into this further yourself, I can provide you with a few screenshots.
Sure, that's super easy and I'm happy to help. I will PM you my email.

Pm sent :)

SamIAm

It's been a productive few days.

- I got Chapter 7 to 100% and started proofreading it. I expect to finish that within two days.

- I preview-played Chapter 8, so I'll be ready to go on that as soon as Chapter 7 is fully finished.

- I finished my first test-play-edit of Chapter 2 and started Chapter 3.

Because this game revolves around going back and forth to talk to people in order to trigger events, there are lots lines that only appear in very out-of-the-way places. The best example is when, say, you've rescued someone trapped inside a dungeon right before gaining access to the boss-area, but instead of going forward to fight, you go back to the town(s) and see how people react now that this guy is free.

It's going to actually be quite difficult to make sure I've seen every single line in the script actually display in the game. I'm doing the best I can right now, but there have been a few of times when the thought of doing something extremely time-consuming just to hunt up just a couple of obscure lines has been too much to bear.

Hopefully, the next time I do a full test-play, the lower number of problems in the text and the savestates I've been making to streamline the process will help me get at that stuff more easily.

seieienbu

Out of curiosity, how accurate is everything by the time you actually run through a play edit?  Do you still find errors or by that time is it close to the way you want it in the final version?

SamIAm

If "how accurate" means "how many straight-up mistakes are there", then there aren't very many of those. Typos and formatting issues affect maybe 1 in 20 text boxes. Contextual mistranslations only happen once or twice a chapter.

Have you ever looked at the script of a movie you really like? You know how the plain text on a plain white page can come across in a very different way than the real lines in the movie? The same thing happens in reverse. There are all kinds of things that look good enough when they're in a text file, but are a bit out-of-wack when they're playing out on the screen. Most of what I do during play-testing is just re-wording things to make them sound more natural and flow a bit better. That's kind of vague, I know, but if you want to know more of the nitty-gritty, that will have to wait for another day when I can dig up some examples.

In addition, there's the simple fact that most things benefit from editing and revision. Translation is not an exact science, that's for sure. You write something, you come back to it a week later and think you should change this, that, and the other thing. The best way to judge how well a translation is working for something like this is to see it happening in the game itself.

When I do the "proofreading" after I get a chapter to 100%, I'm really just scanning for typos, missed spots, inconsistencies, and anything else that's easy to fix.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/25/2016, 03:34 AMIn addition, there's the simple fact that most things benefit from editing and revision. Translation is not an exact science, that's for sure. You write something, you come back to it a week later and think you should change this, that, and the other thing. The best way to judge how well a translation is working for something like this is to see it happening in the game itself.
Even after the years of work that SamIAm had put into Zeroigar before I started working on it, we still went through many, many playthroughs in order to get the translation "sounding" as good as we could when you see it on the screen ... and by "we", I really mean 99.5% SamIAm.

We were changing single words right up until the day before the release.

It was a lot of work, but (IMHO) the attention to detail really shows when you are reading the text on the screen, and nothing sounds "off".

When he says "I finished my first test-play-edit of Chapter 2 and started Chapter 3.", I fully expect that he'll end up wanting to do a lot more passes after all the levels are translated and everything has had its "first-pass".  :wink:

SamIAm

Here goes nothing. Behold, a preview of the Xanadu translation:

wayback://youtu.be/EE_iYw4vdOs

Background: the game starts with a 10-minute cutscene, which you can watch here (in Japanese).

In it, the audience learns that Arios (yes, that's how we're going to spell it), is the descendent of a great hero and has quickly climbed to a high-ranking position in the Imperial Army of Ishtaria. His lineage, however, is not widely known.

Arios's superiors send him to the distant frontier to fight monster hordes with little support. He's accompanied by his friend, a great warrior and general named Daimos; however, they find themselves on the losing side of a huge battle with the monsters. Daimos tells Arios to get himself to safety and dives back into the fighting. Suddenly, Arios is knocked out by a mysterious purple-haired man.

He awakes aboard a ship. The mysterious man explains to him that he cannot say who he is or why he is doing what he is doing, but that Arios has an important destiny. Arios is dropped off on an island and told simply to wait. This is where the video begins.

---------------

I made this an unlisted video, and I might delete it in a few days. Please do not share the link outside this forum. I wanted to show this to you guys because PCEFX is like my home-base, and I think it would be fun. However, it's not ready to share with the whole world yet.

johnnykonami

ginoscope

Thanks for sharing the video and great job on the translation.

It looks really good so far.

SamIAm

Thanks, guys!

Elmer's hacking work looks really nice, doesn't it? ;)

Also, I wrote "you're inventory" and didn't capitalize "Sister" in one instance when I should have.  ](*,)

The contents of a few of the lines themselves are probably going to be different by the end (a couple in particular bug me already), but this is fairly close to done. Once I get through that first play-test of Chapter 3, I might go back and give the Prologue here another pass.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

incrediblehark

I can't begin to express how excited I am to be able to one day play this in English! Back when we were doing playthroughs here, I had a lot of fun even though I didn't know what to do. Did a ton of backtracking, picking out bits of kana in the text and finding other matching words in dialogue to stumble my way through, and I only got through the 1st Chapter. Someone on here finished the game (was it you esteban?) but as good as it was, its going to be infinitely more enjoyable for me translated.

The work you've put in looks amazing, and the final product will definitely show the dedication given to this title. Its painful to think that certain text in the game I would have viewed in Japanese because I had no idea what was going on, but because I will be playing in English will inadvertently skip entire sections of text that was translated just because I won't have to backtrack as much.

jtucci31

Ah it looks SOOO much better when it's actually in action! I'm so excited for this I can't wait!! :mrgreen:

Keranu

It was hardly imaginable to have thought a Legend of Xanadu translation could've been possible ten years ago. The dream has come true!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SamIAm

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. It really helps. :)

Chapter 7's proofreading is finished. The "hump" is officially passed.  :dance:

Chapter 8 is average-sized and slightly smaller than any chapter I've done since Chapter 4. Chapter 9 is smaller still. Then, Chapter 10 is literally half the size of a normal chapter, and Chapter 11 is so tiny, I knocked it out in one short session a couple of weeks ago. We're getting really close now.

I'm still play-testing Chapter 3. These things really just take time. The triggering of events in the game makes you talk to Guy A, talk to Guy B, then talk to Guy C in order to proceed. However, if you talk to Guy B before you talk to Guy A, he'll say something different when you come to talk to him after you talk to Guy A. I need to test all of that, and this is just the kind of area where contextual mistakes tend to happen.

When things get fixed up, though, they look pretty good. I'll still need another pass or two, but we'll be chasing smaller and smaller problems each time.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 01/27/2016, 08:47 PMI'm still play-testing Chapter 3. These things really just take time. The triggering of events in the game makes you talk to Guy A, talk to Guy B, then talk to Guy C in order to proceed. However, if you talk to Guy B before you talk to Guy A, he'll say something different when you come to talk to him after you talk to Guy A. I need to test all of that, and this is just the kind of area where contextual mistakes tend to happen.
Ouch!  #-o

I know that I saw a lot of tests for specific flags and states in the scripts that we extracted, but I had no idea that it was that complex.

The original Falcom team must have really put their heart-and-soul into this game!

SamIAm

Quote from: elmer on 01/27/2016, 10:02 PMOuch!  #-o

I know that I saw a lot of tests for specific flags and states in the scripts that we extracted, but I had no idea that it was that complex.
It's certainly not that complex all the time. Basically, you just have to be on your toes about when someone might have a unique line to say, and be aware of what "flags" trigger progression and what options the player has around them.

Not letting any lines slip through the cracks is going to be a major challenge as we edit this. I might want to look at the text dumps again and check off things that I see while I test-play.

QuoteThe original Falcom team must have really put their heart-and-soul into this game!
Xanadu I was absolutely a big deal for Falcom. This was their first console game and their first CD-ROM game made in-house. The marketing effort was huge, and there was definite buzz in the gaming world. But in addition to all that, Legend of Xanadu is the final game that the guy who made Falcom's Dragon Slayer series worked on at that company. I think he wanted to go out with a bang.

I ought to search my PCE magazines for more interviews about it. For now, though, I want to focus on getting that first draft of the game-script done.  :wink:

jtucci31

Chapter 11 is the one with the endless desert maps, right? I took a long time on that one but primarily because navigating through that desert required me to draw my own map.

But which area is the mountain one with the slave/worker guys? That's either 9 or 10, or maybe 8. That one took me awhile too, but I can see there being not a whole lot of dialogue, it was just really goddamn confusing.

SamIAm

The numbering of the chapters is confusing because there's a prologue, and the second chapter you play is titled Chapter 1. Going by chapter-titles:

Chapter 11 is the final one.

Chapter 9 is the one with the desert maps.

Chapter 7 is the one with the worker guys. I found an online map for this one, and it helped immensely. Just glancing at it three or four times over the course of the whole thing made it waaaaay less confusing. Back when I first played Xanadu I a few years ago, this one was definitely driving me nuts.

SamIAm

Chapter 8 is now 100% translated and about 50% proofread.

Chapter 9 is preview-played as of this morning, so I can start on it next week. There will be some translation challenges in it, which I probably shouldn't spoil, but at least it's on the short side.

Chapter 3 is now fully test-played. That's a long one, but at least the next time I got through it, I'll have savestates to make the process faster.

Elmer's Xanadu II dump is finally in my hands, and it looks great. We're exploring options for merging the old translation as it exists in Esperknight's dump with this new one. Elmer has so far gotten the old lines to sit at the top of each file where they exist in the new dump (and there are 300+ files). If I have to copy/paste everything manually, that saves me a big couple of steps. Next is to see whether the old lines can be placed exactly where they're supposed to go throughout the new dump without too many errors.

Even if they can't, I'm satisfied. After the work I've been doing on Xanadu I, getting this together will be like making a Thanksgiving feast vs. microwaving a TV dinner.

SamIAm

Chapter 8 is now completely proofread.

-----------------

In addition to repetitious and/or mundane NPC dialogue, another common occurrence in JRPG scripts that invites a little liberal "punching up" when translating into English is characters that are defined by the way they speak above anything else.

A while ago in the thread, I posted this:
QuoteOne thing Japanese does have that English doesn't which helps enliven short little RPG lines quite a lot is dialects and modes of speech that are easy to represent in written form. Without actually adding any whole extra words, it's easy to see if a character is a kooky old man, an air-headed teenage girl, a swashbuckling pirate, a "friend of Dorothy", a hardened boss, a polite servant, and more. In Japanese, it's all a matter of tweaking a few syllables.
I don't want to say who, but in Xanadu I and II, there are two characters in your party who stand out mostly because of their modes of speech. One sounds like a tightwad middle-manager, while the other sounds like a samurai straight out of a period-drama. The latter one is particularly concerning, but in both cases, you can't help but lose something when you translate their lines straight to English because the same modes don't quite exist there.

Here's a not-perfectly-analogous example of the kind of problem this can give rise to:

Remember that scene in Die Hard where John McClain finds Hans Gruber (RIP Alan Rickman) on the roof, and Hans starts speaking in clean American-accented English? I know Japanese people who have seen this movie countless times, and none of them were aware of the accent switch. Whoever translated Die Hard to Japanese must have just given up trying to work that in, because it's completely unrepresented. I've seen it once with Japanese subtitles, and they just let the scene play out as you'd expect it would if Hans weren't German to begin with.

There are things vaguely akin to that in Japanese scripts. Sometimes a character will say something like "It's cold outside"...not a particularly exciting line, but because it's in archaic samurai-ish talk, it's still kind of interesting. It gives the character some color. In the right situation, it mixes things up nicely in the overall scene and maybe adds a little depth.

If I really didn't want to go with "It's cold outside", there are two ways I could deal with that in translation. One is to use ye olde English and say "Mine ears doth freeze" or whatever. The other is to toss the original line out the window and write something completely different that tells the audience about the character in another way. For example, I could have them mention something that's important to them. The easy way out of that is to make a joke, which can be done to various degrees...Working Designs might have the samurai-ish character insist on taking a break to do some P90X.

I don't really like either of those options, though. Ye olde English is corny and distracting in most cases, and this Xanadu case, I believe, would be one of them. As for completely rewriting the line, even without any jokes...I just don't want to assume that much. It's not my script, and these are not my characters. To tell you more about them, I would have to invent things about them, and it doesn't seem right to twist them into different people just to spice things up a little.

It's kind of like how I feel about adding jokes where there were none before: on the rare occasion that I get an idea that's so subtle, so safe, and so good that you couldn't be sure it wasn't in the original game, well, I just might slip that into the script. I think that before I do my next play-test, I also ought to isolate both of those character's lines (again, especially the latter one) and see if I can't do a little minor stylizing or other punching-up in places. I really don't want them to be boring. But whatever I do, I want to keep it minimal. The result is that, more often then not, you're going to get the plain "It's cold outside" and that's it. I hope that's OK.

I know that "pro" translation outfits lean toward taking more liberties, and if I ever wanted to be "pro" myself, I'd probably need to get good at doing that. I once watched Kiki's Delivery Service with Japanese audio and English subtitles that were actually closed-captions of the English dub. It really surprised me how often the English dub added entirely new lines when nobody was speaking at all in the Japanese original, especially for Kiki's black cat.

IvanBeavkov

Sam, fantastic work on this translation. I can't believe how fast you are going through the script.

Your dilemma about what to do with the middle-manager and samurai characters sounds tough. What if you played with the adjectives? That could add some flavor without going full ye olde English. For example your "It's cold outside" line could be changed to "It's frosty outside". It conveys the same meaning but most people wouldn't say it that way, so that character stands out a little more.

elmer

What can I say Sam ... wow!  :shock:

I'm glad that it's you that has to pay attention to these things and not me!

spenoza

As Ivan suggested, consider using word order or word choice to represent a similar or analogous character element. Again, you may have to be putting a few words in the character's mouth, but I think you can be forgiven if you give it the proper care.

SamIAm

Quote from: IvanBeavkov on 02/02/2016, 09:35 AMSam, fantastic work on this translation. I can't believe how fast you are going through the script.

Your dilemma about what to do with the middle-manager and samurai characters sounds tough. What if you played with the adjectives? That could add some flavor without going full ye olde English. For example your "It's cold outside" line could be changed to "It's frosty outside". It conveys the same meaning but most people wouldn't say it that way, so that character stands out a little more.
Thanks! :D

"Frosty" is a nice alternative to "cold", but it's important to think about what kinds of characters actually use that word, and when. Particularly in the absence of actual frost, I can't imagine a no-nonsense muscle-character saying it very often. If you imagine a context where this character is actually informing other characters that the temperature is low, then the straightforward, utilitarian "cold" is preferable IMHO. You could try to work in something about the "biting cold" or "chilling to the bone" or other unpleasant metaphors, but then you start running the risk of over-writing what's supposed to be a short little observation.

There are other times when big, fancy adjectives look out of place against the game's simple backdrop, too. I don't want to dumb things down, but I don't want to ruin the charm by trying to impress people with my vocabulary.

Let me put it this way: I use a thesaurus, but I don't want it to look like I use a thesaurus.

Quote from: elmer on 02/02/2016, 08:26 PMI'm glad that it's you that has to pay attention to these things and not me!
That's pretty much how I feel when I read your (excellent!) development blog.  :wink:

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2016, 10:21 PMAs Ivan suggested, consider using word order or word choice to represent a similar or analogous character element. Again, you may have to be putting a few words in the character's mouth, but I think you can be forgiven if you give it the proper care.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. The reason why I posted all that was just to illustrate the kinds of things that happen in a translation. It's all good.  8)

SamIAm

Chapter 4 play-testing (first pass) is done.

Chapter 4 is perhaps the single most complicated one in the game. It's not that it has the most text or the most complex maps or anything, although it's no slouch in either of those categories, either. It's more that it has a high number of characters, with a lot of variety between them and many who are important to the story. I also think it has the highest number of "tasks" you have to do and mini-events that push the story forward.

I tried to be pretty diligent when I edited things, going back and checking anything I changed. Altogether, I think I spent at least 15 hours going through this one, but it should be worth it.

Just like it was with writing the rough drafts, play-testing Chapters 5, 6 and 7 is going to be its own "hump" to get over. Whenever it is that I finally finish this first pass, I think it will really start to feel like we're rolling downhill.

I better start getting the dub-script ready this month. I've got a complete draft that's been edited once, but it needs some tweaking and LOTS of notes added for the actors. It will be a busy spring, that's for sure.

SamIAm

Chapter 9 is 100% translated and only needs proofreading.

Chapter 10 is pre-translation preview-played as of this morning. Bear in mind that this is the last chapter I have to translate and it's half the size of a normal chapter. I aim to have this done and proofread before the 20th.

Chapter 5 is half test-played, which means that the entire game is about half test-played. Given how much time it took, I hope to finish this first run-through by mid/late-March.

Elmer has done some really amazing hacking to spruce up the font recently. It's now fully variable-width and uses kerning. I'll leave it to him to post the lovely screenshots. There may be a minor tweak or two later, but the font is basically locked in and looking good.  :D

wyndcrosser

SamIAm

Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached a major milestone. The first draft of the Xanadu I script is complete. I think I started working on the cutscenes sometime in October, and elmer gave me the main script-dump sometime in early November, so this has been roughly five months in the making.

I also finished play-testing Chapter 5 the other day, so that's coming right along, too. If I can keep up the current pace, I should finish by April.

I definitely want to give the game at least one more pass after that, but the next round should go more quickly. I hope that I can have the dub completed AND the second pass finished by the end of May. What should happen after that, we'll just have to decide when the time comes.

Now I will begin to look at Xanadu II's new script-dump and the English that's been merged from the old dump. With a little luck, it will only take a few weeks to get everything ready for a play-test of its own. Thankfully, Xanadu II is so much shorter than the first game that that shouldn't take long at all.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 02/13/2016, 11:29 PMLadies and gentlemen, we've reached a major milestone. The first draft of the Xanadu I script is complete. I think I started working on the cutscenes sometime in October, and elmer gave me the main script-dump sometime in early November, so this has been roughly five months in the making.
Woo hoooooooo, great job, SamIAm!!! :D =D>

But seriously ... 5 months already ... jeez, where did the time go.  :-k

I'm pretty amazed that we've not come across more missing text, or bugs in the insertion, yet ... but there's still time!  :wink:

johnnykonami

SamIAm

Quote from: elmer on 02/13/2016, 11:44 PMWoo hoooooooo, great job, SamIAm!!! :D =D>

But seriously ... 5 months already ... jeez, where did the time go.  :-k

I'm pretty amazed that we've not come across more missing text, or bugs in the insertion, yet ... but there's still time!  :wink:
Thank you kindly, elmer.  :wink:

If everything up to Chapter 5 works fine, I see no reason why the others are going to pose a problem. Famous last words, I know, but I've played them all recently, and it certainly appears they don't do anything different or special.

Anyway, great work yourself on making the font look so dang good. I just hope I can make the script high enough quality to match it.

Onward!  :D

Quote from: johnnykonami on 02/13/2016, 11:48 PMCongrats guys!
Thanks to you, too!

seieienbu