@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Catastrophy: In Development

Started by DildoKKKobold, 08/14/2015, 07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhcman

Gredler

Thanks for the very kind words everyone, the encouragement is very rewarding and fuels the drive forward on the project. There is a ton of work left to do, but I am amazed at how DK's been able to pull off the programming wizardry - the back end is greek to me! I'm just clicking pixels, trying to not make it ugly hahah

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2015, 04:39 PMWill there be any beta testing?
I would say we are way too early for the need of any right now.

Once we hit at minimum an alpha stage / vertical slice etc we will discuss testers and stuff.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Gredler on 09/16/2015, 05:01 PMThere is a ton of work left to do, but I am amazed at how DK's been able to pull off the programming wizardry - the back end is greek to me!
You me both, I didn't know he was good for much else besides engaging in the perpetual reseller, pricing, gouging/profiteering, etc. squabbles we have around here. ;)

Quote from: esteban on 09/16/2015, 08:02 PMI love the cat sprite+animation.
It's so DK, or rather, he's been hangin' with HailingTheThings much ?? ;)

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/16/2015, 09:01 PMYou me both, I didn't know he was good for much else besides engaging in the perpetual reseller, pricing, gouging/profiteering, etc. squabbles we have around here. ;)
Hey, I have squabbles other than those! LOL!
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/16/2015, 09:01 PMIt's so DK, or rather, he's been hangin' with HailingTheThings much ?? ;)
I could only hope that HTT approves my cat animations, DK was particular in the styling of the cat. I was pushing for a 2:1 head to body ratio, a la kato chan & ken chan :P

sirhcman

Updates? or has this become vaporware?

esteban

Dicer

esteban

HailingTheThings

IMG

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 10/16/2015, 11:34 AMUpdates? or has this become vaporware?
Hahah sorry no updates right now. Most of the stuff that has changed is not to a point that it'd be worthwhile to show, it's very rough WIP stuff.  It's vaping pretty hard right now, as we've certainly hit a stall. We've both had a few busy consecutive weeks with various personal things. I would hope it's not vaped yet, just a brief pause due to life and obligations :) Holidays will also cause a similar drop in updates, so hopefully we find time between now and the thick of those holidays to get some more progress done on it.

What I can say is that we are not working on any new levels right now, just tuning the ones that you've all seen. The shower is my main focus for art quality, adding color and detail to the background. I am still supplementing DK with with placeholder art for the vacuum level, but my main art focus is getting the shower to a nice looking state, while DK focuses on the gameplay for the vacuum level. Once the vacuum level is a bit more well rounded and designed I will begin adding better art to that, but for now I am on shower duty :P

sirhcman

Quote from: Gredler on 10/16/2015, 08:26 PMbut for now I am on shower duty :P
Thanks for the update, don't drop the soap! :D

esteban

Gredler

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you too este :D

Progress is progressing, I am happy that we are making any during such a busy time of the year for our personal lives considering its a personal project.

Having Nod in the chats has been amazing for getting past a few hurdles, but we are still a ways off from any major updates, elmer makes us look even worse than we are with those dev blogs :D

I am not sure what we last reported, or what DK wants to show, but the art on the shower level is nearing completion and two other levels are starting to take rough form as far as gameplay, not much art in tjose. I'll defer to the code monkey for what he wants to show :)

Thanks for your interest, hopefully this next year will provide us a smooth dev cycle to bang this thing out!!

DildoKKKobold

Not to mention, when I make changes to the code, or implement new art supplied by gredler, I generally post a video or image in DoxPhile chat. Thus, I'm less inclined to post it here.

So, its not like there is zero progress - I'm actually quite happy with how it is coming along. Its just not getting updated like a dev blog here.

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

esteban

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 12/28/2015, 01:14 AMNot to mention, when I make changes to the code, or implement new art supplied by gredler, I generally post a video or image in DoxPhile chat. Thus, I'm less inclined to post it here.

So, its not like there is zero progress - I'm actually quite happy with how it is coming along. Its just not getting updated like a dev blog here.
Oh, DoxPhile forum/chat still exists?

I didn't know.

(Obligatory dissing of Nulltard...now I feel better.)

:)

Gredler

I know an update is long overdue, but more progress has been made!  :dance:

Caution - check your speaker volume, I've never made music before so the sound is very rough.
I hope you guys like the progress, and look forward to hearing feedback.

One of us will post again once we have more updates!

Edit: I just noticed, POST 500!! Danm I chat here too much hahaha

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Gredler on 02/16/2016, 02:04 AMI know an update is long overdue, but more progress has been made!  :dance:

Caution - check your speaker volume, I've never made music before so the sound is very rough.
I hope you guys like the progress, and look forward to hearing feedback.

One of us will post again once we have more updates!

Edit: I just noticed, POST 500!! Danm I chat here too much hahaha
Looks dope.
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

GUYS!!  This is seriously excellent!  I love following the progress on this project!!  Very happy to see more games like this on the horizon!

Well done.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Ditto everything Joshua said. :)

I love this damn cat! The shower droplets are great!

LostFlunky

Lookin good guys - stay motivated!   Hoping there is more pussy in my future!

TheClash603

The graphics gave me a good chuckle, but the game looks tough.

As a big Game & Watch fan, this seems perfect for me.

johnnykonami

Gredler

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/16/2016, 01:36 PMThe graphics gave me a good chuckle, but the game looks tough.
Thanks! I was really happy to finally get the mappy background working, glad to hear it's not offensive :P

I appreciate everyone's positive vibes, I hope the momentum we have had so for this year is consistent. I would love to get something in everyone's hands playable asap.

I think we are nearing pencils down on this level. I am not sure what's been shown but we have two other in progress levels, and DK is starting on the main gameplay style now,  so we can flesh the game out in between these boss fights.

I am now tasked with creating the villian, I wish I had Sarumaru's knack for character creation, hahah. Wish me luck, incoming villian!

chicgamer

The graphics are really cute. Very nice!
Xbox Live: Nicki Croft * PSN: Nicki_Croft * Steam: chicgamer * YouTube: chicgamer01

HailingTheThings

Quote from: chicgamer on 02/16/2016, 09:12 PMThe graphics are really cute. Very nice!
Here, I think you should have this: IMG
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 02/17/2016, 02:59 AM
Quote from: chicgamer on 02/16/2016, 09:12 PMThe graphics are really cute. Very nice!
Here, I think you should have this: IMG
Easteregg challenge accepted!

HailingTheThings

IMG

Gredler

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 02/17/2016, 05:28 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 02/17/2016, 11:55 AMEasteregg challenge accepted!
IMG
Well, now I that I won't be sleeping for the next few days for fear of night terrors, I guess I'll be making a lot more progress on the game!

WTF IS THAT?

EASTEREGG REVOKED.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Gredler on 02/17/2016, 06:56 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 02/17/2016, 05:28 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 02/17/2016, 11:55 AMEasteregg challenge accepted!
IMG
Well, now I that I won't be sleeping for the next few days for fear of night terrors, I guess I'll be making a lot more progress on the game!

WTF IS THAT?

EASTEREGG REVOKED.
idk but this is dope.
IMG

DildoKKKobold

This thread was desperately in need of an update, so here's an intro to another boss, the big bad vacuum!
We've got the code base down for 3 of the 5 bosses, with the shower boss being mostly done. I've been working on the main section of the game, but I'm worried it won't be "fun." Both of us have had lots of reasons to take a hiatus, but that doesn't mean there is zero progress!
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

DildoKKKobold

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

touko

i like it, gfx are very cartoonish .
I think you should make your fade out a litle bit faster,  but it's a detail, good work .

esteban

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 07/14/2016, 01:00 AMThis thread was desperately in need of an update, so here's an intro to another boss, the big bad vacuum!
We've got the code base down for 3 of the 5 bosses, with the shower boss being mostly done. I've been working on the main section of the game, but I'm worried it won't be "fun." Both of us have had lots of reasons to take a hiatus, but that doesn't mean there is zero progress!
The Sprite Animation (TSA) is absolutely gorgeous and so cute/well-timed. Out Little Feline (OLF) is too precious when preening at the very end. MAGNIFICENT.

:)

sirhcman

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 07/14/2016, 01:06 AM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/14/2016, 01:02 AM*this video is private*
Sorry, forgot to hit publish. Working?
Yup, looks good dude! Its no Oni-bro but I guess it will do.

TheClash603

I was impressed by the recent video, looks like this has come a long way!

Gredler

Thanks for the update DK, inspiring to get back into it!! Also thanks everyone for encouraging words about the gfx. That video has a lot of placeholders and buggy bits, but it's great to see DK getting stuff ready for me to make prurdy :P Yay!

spenoza

Very promising. Do be careful with the whole pillar-dodging thing, though, because it can be hard to determine where you are on-screen in relation to the gaps between pillars. If that's at all visually confusing it could easily be a frustrating experience for your players.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2016, 09:06 PMVery promising. Do be careful with the whole pillar-dodging thing, though, because it can be hard to determine where you are on-screen in relation to the gaps between pillars. If that's at all visually confusing it could easily be a frustrating experience for your players.
Great advice. I am hoping that the pillars are spaced out and very pattern based so they can be memorized. I believe DK has been designing this boss fight to be similar to the beloved turbo tunnel from battletoads :P

Currently it's very hard, very hard.

LostFlunky

NightWolve

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 07/14/2016, 01:00 AMThis thread was desperately in need of an update, so here's an intro to another boss, the big bad vacuum!
"Brought to you by DoxPhile" Intro - I like that it honors its roots. ;)

DildoKKKobold

Final vacuum art is in place, and we have a level select screen!

DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

esteban

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/23/2016, 11:54 PM
Final vacuum art is in place, and we have a level select screen!
The character designs are *genuinely* cute and nicely done (even the vacuum has a lot of personality).

The animation is fantastically implemented and perfect for this game.

I really like the title screen and level select screens... They totally work with the concepts I have seen (shower, living room). CRT TVs flickering each level just works.

I can't remember if I ever said this, but Catastrophy immediately reminded me of the boss confrontations in Stinger (NES)... Something I always found goofy, yet endearing since I was a kid. This is actually a high compliment, since very few games break past my jaded, adult armor and make me feel excited about brutal bathtubs, psychotic pizza, etc. Household items have never been more deadly yet cute.

Notice I didn't invoke the Japanese title of the series because I never knew it as a kid. I just knew "Stinger" :)

Gredler

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/23/2016, 11:54 PMFinal vacuum art is in place
Thanks for posting the video DK, and sharing our modest progress! Ball IS rolling again, which is a lot of fun :)

I wouldn't call the art final though, I think we are going to change the color of the vacuum up if I can, and the tilemap/background is very temporary and will look much different in its final state!

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2016, 02:20 AMThe animation is fantastically implemented and perfect for this game.

I really like the title screen and level select screens... They totally work with the concepts I have seen (shower, living room). CRT TVs flickering each level just works.
Thanks Este! The drawings took me longer than I'd like to admit, but DK put them to good use, so I am glad to see it starting to come together with his hard work! It looks really good on a CRT, I did some play testing on the duo with my everdrive and the rom loads up and plays like a dream :)

(Earlier build before catlignment was tuned)
IMG

Thanks for the singer idea too, cute games like that (and fantasy Zone) are great refence for wacky disembodied odd bosses ;p

OldRover

This game is so fucking cool. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Gredler

Gredler

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion