@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Do you own a turbo-less PCE pad?

Started by guyjin, 04/14/2016, 09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own an early version of the PCE controller with no turbo fire?

Yes
No

guyjin

speaks for itself. If you do, how did you acquire it?

esteban

I think I do. It may have accompanied my old white PCE (original model with RF out only)...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: esteban on 04/14/2016, 09:25 PMI think I do. It may have accompanied my old white PCE (original model with RF out only)...
ditto

CrackTiger

I have at least one. I believe that all but one of the ones I've owned over the years came with a PCE system.

The first one I got came with an IFU + CD-ROM box set that was part of a collection I bought in the 90's. The PC Engine didn't have an RF out jack, just molded plastic of the shell in its place. So the PCE itself couldn't be played on its own, even if you had a compatible power supply. I'm guessing that this "combo" set was planned for launch as the main configuration and that core systems would be sold separately at some point. But then they couldn't get any CD games completed in time...
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jtucci31

When I got my ifu setup from ope the controller had no turbo switches. I may have another one as well. They look nice, but turbo switches still rule

csgx1

I got two, but only one is actually a turbo-less controller.  One came with a boxed white PC Engine system I bought years ago.  The other one, I'm not sure where I got it from but I ended up turbo modding it recently.  It's now my go to controller since it was hardly used and not all worn out. 

IMG

WoodyXP

I have one but I rarely use it.  I only use it when I want to restrict myself from the turbo.
"I bathe in AES carts."

BlueBMW

I actively seek them out and convert them to MSX/X68000 pads
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

blueraven

I have one, It was heavily smoked on and came with a broken white PCE. Ironically, It also came with a pink expansion port cover.

shubibiman

The Turbo-less pads came with the original white PCE. They were also sold alone.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

majors

I HAD one from a lot buy and used it for 5-plyer setups. I recently gave it to a new RF PCE owner(Gus Money), I figured it should be reunited with it's family. I still have more than 5 pads, so donating one was not an issue.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

I don't have that specific turbo-less pad.

I have two other pads that lack turbo, though - the IllustBooster and the pachinko controller.  Do they count?  Both were bought from forum peeps.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Corredor X

Yeah, came with my white PCE. It's the one I use the most, BTW, really like the d-pad on this one.

mickcris

I have a few. Got them in a lot of consoles and accessories from yahoo Japan.

guyjin

Quote from: BlueBMW on 04/14/2016, 11:43 PMI actively seek them out and convert them to MSX/X68000 pads
Why?

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 04/14/2016, 09:34 PMThe PC Engine didn't have an RF out jack, just molded plastic of the shell in its place. So the PCE itself couldn't be played on its own, even if you had a compatible power supply.
weird. IIRC, can't you supply it power through the expansion bus?

guyjin

Quote from: csgx1 on 04/14/2016, 10:39 PMI got two, but only one is actually a turbo-less controller.  One came with a boxed white PC Engine system I bought years ago.  The other one, I'm not sure where I got it from but I ended up turbo modding it recently.  It's now my go to controller since it was hardly used and not all worn out. 

IMG
kewl!

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2016, 09:25 AMI don't have that specific turbo-less pad.

I have two other pads that lack turbo, though - the IllustBooster and the pachinko controller.  Do they count?  Both were bought from forum peeps.  :mrgreen:
sure. :p

NecroPhile

Quadruple post!

Bruh, do you even enter key?

blueraven

Quote from: guyjin on 04/15/2016, 12:21 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/14/2016, 09:34 PMThe PC Engine didn't have an RF out jack, just molded plastic of the shell in its place. So the PCE itself couldn't be played on its own, even if you had a compatible power supply.
weird. IIRC, can't you supply it power through the expansion bus?
I think tiger was saying that he has a model that was boxed together with no seperate power jack, so it would have to be plugged into the IFU that it came with to function.

I recapped a PCE like this at one point for someone, and tested it in an IFU.

Yes, guyjin you can tap 5v power from a few places on the expansion bus, and also from Pin 38 of the Hu-Card slot.

CrackTiger

It had no video output and the box set did not include a separate PC Engine ac adaptor (only the one for the IFU). So to play it on its own, you'd need an AV Booster or a Tennokoe II.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nopepper

Quote from: Corredor X on 04/15/2016, 11:01 AMYeah, came with my white PCE. It's the one I use the most, BTW, really like the d-pad on this one.
I don't own or have ever used a turbo-less pad, so your response has me wondering - do they have a different type of dpad to the more ubiquitous turbo versions?

csgx1

The d-pad in the non-turbo is not any different as far as I can tell.  My 2 non-turbo pads were hardly used (bought used) so the d-pads seems smoother and not worn like all of my other turbo pads.

NecroPhile

The d-pad on the Illust Booster is the worst.  :mrgreen:

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2016, 12:53 PMQuadruple post!

Bruh, do you even enter key?
I have a lot of posting to catch up on :p

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2016, 04:37 PMThe d-pad on the Illust Booster is the worst.  :mrgreen:
It can't be worse than the RX pad. Or can it?

Digi.k

I just dug up my antiques... Looks like I had two.   I don't think I had any pads back in the early days that had auto fire and playing some of those shmups was hell especially the darius plus where I had to mash the buttons to the point I almost threw the pad at the screen..

IMG

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/15/2016, 07:02 PMI just dug up my antiques... Looks like I had two.   I don't think I had any pads back in the early days that had auto fire and playing some of those shmups was hell especially the darius plus where I had to mash the buttons to the point I almost threw the pad at the screen..

IMG
I am an advocate of playing without autofire sometimes...just to see how hardcore you can be.

Now, I'm not crazy, I am not saying never to use it...but I often play sans turbo.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BlueBMW

Quote from: guyjin on 04/15/2016, 12:15 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 04/14/2016, 11:43 PMI actively seek them out and convert them to MSX/X68000 pads
Why?
I love the feel of the PC Engine pad and since MSX and X68000 typically are just two butttons plus a directional pad, they're perfect to convert with.  In theory with some more wiring they could be made into FM Towns pads too (supporting the start / select buttons)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheAlphaOmegaX3

Just finished Neutopia tonight using my turbo-less controller. Actually only one I have. I wanted it due to being the original one that came with the IFU Briefcase setup. Turbo added version would be nice one day.

wilykat

Mine came with a white PCE and 5 player tap that I got cheap from Japan a few years ago. The RF cable was shot, broken wire everywhere like it was a dog chew toy but the system and controller worked fine.

Corredor X

Quote from: nopepper on 04/15/2016, 03:12 PMI don't own or have ever used a turbo-less pad, so your response has me wondering - do they have a different type of dpad to the more ubiquitous turbo versions?
I think they're exactly the same in the turbo and non-turbo versions; the fact is that I don't own a turbo version of it  :lol: Among all my controllers - I also have a 3-button, 6-button and some Hori, not a single one that originally came with a console - I prefer to use the turboless one because its d-pad feels better, the others are a little "loosier" than it.

NecroPhile

Quote from: blueraven on 04/15/2016, 06:43 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/15/2016, 04:37 PMThe d-pad on the Illust Booster is the worst.  :mrgreen:
It can't be worse than the RX pad. Or can it?
It doesn't even have a d-pad.  :lol:

gusmoney

Quote from: majors on 04/15/2016, 08:02 AMI HAD one from a lot buy and used it for 5-plyer setups. I recently gave it to a new RF PCE owner(Gus Money), I figured it should be reunited with it's family. I still have more than 5 pads, so donating one was not an issue.
And it is my go to pad, thanks Majors. 

I rarely need turbo.

Arkhan Asylum

I own like six.  They need cleaned.  They came with the boxed pce and cd i buyed
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

yes I have one but beamer turned it into a MSX controller ^________^
IMG

geise

Quote from: Opethian on 04/19/2016, 09:22 AMyes I have one but beamer turned it into a MSX controller ^________^
LOL. I take it it works well?

fraggore

Yea i have one they came with the original white pc engine.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"