Turbografx-16 with built-in ED 2.4 & super system functionality

Started by turbokon, 08/18/2016, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokon

So here is just another mod.  It's a turbografx-16 modded with internal ED 2.4 and super system card functionality for the cd games.  It will default boot to ED without hucard in slot.  Shout out to thesteve for figuring this out.

IMG
IMG

Having a spare hucard slot helps with the mod but wires can be run and soldering directly to the ED.

Note: LS245 is needed at empty spot (IC103) on tg16 pcb for older version of ED, ED 2.4 has it already built-in.   

IMG
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Wow, you guys really have gone at it! Where did you place access to the ED to load/eject the microSD card or does that require opening it if you need to load a game not already preloaded ?

Johnpv

Woah that is pretty awesome.  Would we be able to see more pics of the inside of the unit?

sirhcman

Interesting mod but are there any benefits beyond not having to insert a game into the slot?

NecroPhile

I assume it's just a "because-I-can!" mod rather than something functionally superior, but 'tis cool nonetheless.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turbokon

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/19/2016, 01:51 AMWow, you guys really have gone at it! Where did you place access to the ED to load/eject the microSD card or does that require opening it if you need to load a game not already preloaded ?
Right now, it would have to be open up to load and eject the microSD.  I may try something so it doesn't.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2016, 09:09 AMInteresting mod but are there any benefits beyond not having to insert a game into the slot?
That was the main reason for during this and also have the built-in SCD functionality.

www.tg16pcemods.com

grendelrt

Quote from: turbokon on 08/19/2016, 11:17 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 08/19/2016, 01:51 AMWow, you guys really have gone at it! Where did you place access to the ED to load/eject the microSD card or does that require opening it if you need to load a game not already preloaded ?
Right now, it would have to be open up to load and eject the microSD.  I may try something so it doesn't.
I have a cps2 multi board by darksoft, I had the same issue and was able to use a cable extender from the SD card slot to the outside of case.  It's just a ribbon cable with a dummy SD card on the end and a female slot on the other,  worked really well.

turbokon

Quote from: grendelrt on 08/19/2016, 01:21 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 08/19/2016, 11:17 AM
I have a cps2 multi board by darksoft, I had the same issue and was able to use a cable extender from the SD card slot to the outside of case.  It's just a ribbon cable with a dummy SD card on the end and a female slot on the other,  worked really well.
Great idea, I ordered a microSD extender. I added LED for the ED.  Now just waiting on a microSD extender so I don't have to open up the unit to load/eject microSD.

IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

NightWolve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201623079758

Ah, so one of these and problem solved ? Nice! Then it's just deciding how best to mount it properly, etc. A bit more MacGyver skill use, and all good.