OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

New PC Engine owner asks...

Started by TB88, 02/04/2006, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TB88

Just got my hands on a JAP pc engine core grafix with pc kid 1 +2, gunhed and jackie chan. Any other games that i should be looking out for ? Am i right in thinking i will be ok to play US hucards on it? :?

Seldane

You won't be playing US hu-cards on that one, that's for sure. Unless you buy an extremely expensive converter or perform a fairly complicated mod.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

TB88

not to worry. seems to be loads of jap games about at various places. will joypads etc from different regions work ok??

TB88

Keranu

PCE>TG16 converters are a lot less common than TG16/PCE converters and they can be rather expensive. I'm not sure how easy it is to install a region switch on a PCE unit, but it's not so bad for Duo units. You could get someone with modding services to do it for you (D-Lite is a popular one), but that could also costs you a bit of money. I'd say the best thing to do if you want to play USA HuCards is buy a Turbo Grafx 16 since they are fairly cheap and if you ever get into playing CD games, you won't have to worry about region issues since CDs are region free. Another thing to note, PCE HuCards tend to be a lot cheaper than TG16 ones. So if you don't mind losing the English language barrier, then it shouldn't be bad at all for you :) .

You can use any Japanese PCE controller on your PCE and a USA Turbo Duo controller, but you can't use a USA Turbo Grafx 16 controller because the pins are a little bigger and won't fit, unfortunately.

A few PCE HuCards I recommend:

Aoi Blink
Bomberman '93 or '94
Cadash
Dodge Danpei
Final Soldier
Neutopia 1 and 2
Soldier Blade

There are tons more of course, but those are just some I could name off the top of my head. I'm sure many other people here could recommend some to you as well. Also if you use the search feature, you could probably finds tons of threads that list recommended PCE games :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

TR0N

Need some recomend hucards np then.

Gunhed
Salamander
Legendary Axe
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Galaga 88
Devil Crush
SplatterHouse

Just like every body mention can't play, NA hucards without some moddeing or useing a converter.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Ninja Spirit

Here's my picks:

>Batman
>Dragon Spirit/Saber
>Ninja Gaiden
>Street Fighter II'
>Burning Angels
>Barunba

Keranu

Man, I am surprised at the picks I chose because now I see Tron and Ninja Spirit's picks and it makes me think how could I have missed them; Devil's Crush and SFII' come to mind :D . Oh well, at least I'm always good for giving obscured recommendations.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

TB88

Thanks for the advise. feel like i kinda shot myself in the foot being stuck with the jap engine. will check out the games when funds allow/ the girlfriend. would you guys recommend going for the cd add on. being as i've got JAP machine.

Seldane

I highly recommend a CD unit since all the best PCE games are on CD, and the thing is region free!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: "TB88"Thanks for the advise. feel like i kinda shot myself in the foot being stuck with the jap engine. will check out the games when funds allow/ the girlfriend. would you guys recommend going for the cd add on. being as i've got JAP machine.

No probs. The Japanese side of Turbografx is the where the action is at. Not only that, Japanese versions of US TG titles that are considered expensive and rare are a whole lot cheaper. Hey get the CD add on too, but since you're gonna get something lower than a Duo, good luck on finding a Super System Card 3.0.

PCEngineHell

Just nab one of the Briefcase combos off the West Exit.You does not charge a arm and a leg,and he usually has good condition decks for sale.His pcengine prices are good too.

You really would be fine just playing PcEngine games,the TG side was not all that exciting except on some of the cd titles like Exile or Ys Book1&2.
With a Pc Engine and Cdrom add-on you could nab a Arcade Card Pro or System 3.0 card very cheap,much cheaper then trying to buy a US System 3.0 card.

If you like fighting games the ports of World Heroes 2,Fatal Fury Special,and Art of Fighting are extremely close to Neo quality for the Arcade Card Pro,and do not really require a 6 button game pad to play if your on the cheap...

The arcade ports for PcEngine hucard or cd wise tend to stomp the shit outta the Super Famicom/Snes/Mega Drive/Genesis/Master system ports.
Forgotten Worlds,Buster Bros,Sf 2 Champion Edition,the NeoGeo ports,Chase HQ,SCI,Aero Blasters,Raiden,Zero Wing,R-Type,Tiger Road,Cadash,HellFire,Gradius,Gradius 2,Salamander,Ninja Spirit ect....are all good games,consider must buys if you love arcade games.

Ninja Spirit

I don't know about Forgotten Worlds since that's only one player.

PCEngineHell

Yea the one player thing did slightly hurt it,but it was otherwise close to perfect.The genesis and master system ports sucked,graphics and sound being the worst I have ever seen in a port about. They made Narc on Nes look like gold.

Keranu

And remember, the Duo version of Forgotten Worlds isn't completely two-playerless! You can enter that silly code so one player controls the dude flying and the other controls the shooting for the dude! It's a overall better port though, even though it would be a lot better with real two-player supprot.

Just tell us when you need suggestions for CD games, we'll be ready.  8) The list for CD games gets even better.
IMG

TB88

Found the super system cards no probs. seem to be lots of jap cards at various places in the uk.just the hardware is rare as rocking horse shit!!! looks like it could be back to bloody e bay. any thoughts??

esteban

Quote from: "TB88"Thanks for the advise. feel like i kinda shot myself in the foot being stuck with the jap engine. will check out the games when funds allow/ the girlfriend. would you guys recommend going for the cd add on. being as i've got JAP machine.
No, you didn't mess up. It's great that you have the CoreGrafx. HuCard games are often given little attention because of the CD library, but there are many Japanese HuCards that are fun and well-worth your time.

When you get the cash, consider the SuperCD-ROM upgrade... then you can play all the CD games you'll eventually begin to lust for. I have a DUO already, but I want to get a SuperCD for my CoreGrafx.

You chose wisely!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Here's a little rule that sticks to people who get into the PCE scene: Once  you buy one piece of hardware, your bound to get a different piece to go with it ;) .
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: "Keranu"Here's a little rule that sticks to people who get into the PCE scene: Once  you buy one piece of hardware, your bound to get a different piece to go with it ;) .
:wink:  :wink:
IMG

esteban

Quote from: TR0N on 02/05/2006, 01:55 AMNeed some recomend hucards np then.

Gunhed
Salamander
Legendary Axe
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Galaga 88
Devil Crush
SplatterHouse

Just like every body mention can't play, NA hucards without some moddeing or useing a converter.
That is a solid list of games to start with. That should really help out TB88.

TB88?

Where are you? TB88?

crazydean

I always wonder how these threads get bumped. Este?

elmer

I suspect that it's a mix of 80% alcohol, and 20% too-much-Monty-Python as a child.

But I could be wrong ... ... ... perhaps there's even more alcohol than that involved!  :wink:

geise

LOL!  I see esteban finally has some time on his hands again!  Good job este!  =D>

esadajr

Quote from: esteban on 10/31/2016, 08:59 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 02/05/2006, 01:55 AMNeed some recomend hucards np then.

Gunhed
Salamander
Legendary Axe
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Galaga 88
Devil Crush
SplatterHouse

That is a solid list of games to start with. That should really help out TB88.

TB88?

Where are you? TB88?
You'll never be forgotten TB88. MIA since April 2006.
Gaming since 1985

Bloufo

Ah yes. Multiple use of the abbreviation "JAP".
Must have been before political correctness overdrive set in.

esteban

I knew that some folks have missed TB88 as much as I have.

:)

BigusSchmuck

blueraven

It only took esteban 10 years to reply to TR2N but he finally did...

which is par for the course. I'm sure we will also see posts with rags with the bean pies and Turbo-D's avatar sooner than later.

:mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 11/01/2016, 09:33 PMIt only took esteban 10 years to reply to TR2N but he finally did...

which is par for the course. I'm sure we will also see posts with rags with the bean pies and Turbo-D's avatar sooner than later.

I really am too predictable. :)

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/01/2016, 09:23 PM

TR0N

Quote from: esteban on 11/02/2016, 11:35 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 11/01/2016, 09:33 PMIt only took esteban 10 years to reply to TR2N but he finally did...

I really am too predictable. :)

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/01/2016, 09:23 PM
Did you say predictable !!
IMG

Groover

You should get an everdrive. /threaad

Later look into CD games but for now just enjoy the PC-Engine.
IMG

nopepper

Damn, I really wanted to meet TD88.

If only I had the money for this: http://geekologie.com/2014/12/30000-time-traveling-delorean-conversion.php

I could go 88 MPH and meet TD88.