10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Lucretia - Demon Princess (鬼姫の呪い in Japan) NOW IN BETA TESTING

Started by OldRover, 05/26/2013, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ToyMachine78

Isn't he one of those Facebook people now... Like Tats?

OldRover

The annoying part of Lucretia is this... since it has taken so long to produce the damn thing, my coding ability has increased way beyond what it was when I originally coded it. I have no plans to rewrite it from the ground up to take advantage of my current skill level, but there are some parts I will partially rewrite for performance reasons. A few parts were already rewritten to reflect this, but there are some other parts which could use a shot in the arm... mainly in the sprite allocation routine. While coding stage 3-1 of Henshin Engine, I realized that my round-robin technique for allocating sprites had revealed its weakness so I rewrote the sprite allocation routine to make use of usage checking. The end result was flawless.

This technique has to be backported to Lucretia, as the old technique revealed its weakness long ago but I was too busy with other aspects to ever fix it. In Lucretia, the old technique produces specific enemy flaws... a witch that turns into crows in stage 1 and an evil bear that turns into the chess king in stage 2. In Henshin Engine, the old technique created flying skeletons (using the vampire bat state machine). However, some techniques in Lucretia need to be brought to Henshin Engine... stage 00 in Henshin Engine suffers from some slowdown that could easily be corrected by using Lucretia's much more efficient enemy data handler... or improved even further by converting the whole bloody routine to assembly.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Mathius

ToyMachine78

Quote from: The Old Rover on 10/19/2016, 08:28 PMThe annoying part of Lucretia is this... since it has taken so long to produce the damn thing, my coding ability has increased way beyond what it was when I originally coded it. I have no plans to rewrite it from the ground up to take advantage of my current skill level, but there are some parts I will partially rewrite for performance reasons. A few parts were already rewritten to reflect this, but there are some other parts which could use a shot in the arm... mainly in the sprite allocation routine. While coding stage 3-1 of Henshin Engine, I realized that my round-robin technique for allocating sprites had revealed its weakness so I rewrote the sprite allocation routine to make use of usage checking. The end result was flawless. This technique has to be backported to Lucretia, as the old technique revealed its weakness long ago but I was too busy with other aspects to ever fix it. In Lucretia, the old technique produces specific enemy flaws... a witch that turns into crows in stage 1 and an evil bear that turns into the chess king in stage 2. In Henshin Engine, the old technique created flying skeletons (using the vampire bat state machine). However, some techniques in Lucretia need to be brought to Henshin Engine... stage 00 in Henshin Engine suffers from some slowdown that could easily be corrected by using Lucretia's much more efficient enemy data handler... or improved even further by converting the whole bloody routine to assembly.
Nice Rove. Time for Mysterious Song remastered lol

CrackTiger

The second pressing of Mysterious Song actually does make use of more efficient programming and has a bug fix or two.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

/14721544_10209889376618364_330149585978967919_lost.jpg

We are almost set to roll out the demo for the early supporters. There are still a couple of little issues that need to be addressed before it can go out, but it won't take too much longer.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 10/22/2016, 01:11 AMWe are almost set to roll out the demo for the early supporters. There are still a couple of little issues that need to be addressed before it can go out, but it won't take too much longer.
The rubber duckies are so elegantly dressed—bravo.

:)

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 11:16 AMThe second pressing of Mysterious Song actually does make use of more efficient programming and has a bug fix or two.
It does?!  Did I somehow miss this?  My memory must be shot, or I just didn't pay much attention to the 2nd run enough to hear about that.... ](*,)
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/20/2016, 11:16 AMThe second pressing of Mysterious Song actually does make use of more efficient programming and has a bug fix or two.
Dumb question, I know, but can I tell whether my copy is pressing one or two?

Rover, I'm probably not alone in preferring a delayed quality product than a rushed mediocre one. If you can continue tweaking it, by all means, that's preferred. Let the haters who self-ban and then peddle nonsense to Dreamcast Junkyard be damned.

OldRover

The second run of MSR was built with my modified version of the assembler which allows me to organize code better. It reduced bank usage considerably, making the game load faster. Additionally, there were numerous cosmetic fixes, and a few critical bugs were corrected.

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2016, 08:49 AMDumb question, I know, but can I tell whether my copy is pressing one or two?
There are only two ways to tell the difference. The title screen of the game will say 2012 on the original and 2012-14 on the repress. Also, the inner ring of the disc will have different info. I don't have a copy of the first pressing handy but the second one will have 385383 22548-36JY WMG-C0-17442-54309A printed on it.

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2016, 08:49 AMRover, I'm probably not alone in preferring a delayed quality product than a rushed mediocre one. If you can continue tweaking it, by all means, that's preferred. Let the haters who self-ban and then peddle nonsense to Dreamcast Junkyard be damned.
Thanks. :D Learning to ignore the haters seems a challenge in sanity but just gotta go with it. We're trying to make this a decent-quality game, and this project has hit many roadblocks and bumps along the way. We're not giving up though.

OldRover

jlued686

So awesome.

Incidentally, I don't get why anyone would "hate" on this stuff. Anyone who takes on indie development for my favorite console is a god damned hero in my book. Keep it up, guys!

Nighttrate

I agree with the guy above this game look great keep it up

Mathius

Rove, you just hit me with too much awesome since I checked this thread last night.

...I need to lie down.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 10/22/2016, 06:39 PMRove, you just hit me with too much awesome since I checked this thread last night.

...I need to lie down.
Don't worry, I have some Quaaludes for you. :)

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 10/22/2016, 08:16 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 10/22/2016, 06:39 PMRove, you just hit me with too much awesome since I checked this thread last night.

...I need to lie down.
Don't worry, I have some Quaaludes for you. :)
Thank ya!  :D

OldRover

I will be spending this week preparing the early supporter demo build of this game. I don't have a whole ton of time as we are in the middle of another move (hopefully our last one ever) but if all goes according to our diabolical plans, the demo should start shipping out in the wee hours of November (ok not quite literally but you know what I mean).

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 10/24/2016, 11:29 PMI will be spending this week preparing the early supporter demo build of this game. I don't have a whole ton of time as we are in the middle of another move (hopefully our last one ever) but if all goes according to our diabolical plans, the demo should start shipping out in the wee hours of November (ok not quite literally but you know what I mean).
Mag
Niff
ihh
Cent

:)

blueraven

Awesome! How do I order this game?

Also..

Quote from: esteban on 10/22/2016, 08:16 PMDon't worry, I have some Quaaludes for you. :)
They probably don't work any more. Haven't you seen The Wolf Of Wall Street?!

Quaaludes and Power Golf... May Have happened.

"I'll have to get some golf shoes, man."

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 10/25/2016, 02:16 AMAwesome! How do I order this game?

Also..

Quote from: esteban on 10/22/2016, 08:16 PMDon't worry, I have some Quaaludes for you. :)

I have never seen Wolf of Wallstreet.

But if it has disco quaalude parties, I'm in!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: esteban on 10/25/2016, 04:57 PM

Also..

Skip it and watch Boiler Room instead.

roflmao

Quote from: OldRover on 07/09/2016, 08:42 PMI am about to start a mass emailing for the game to confirm shipping addresses... it will take a few hours to complete. Once I have back enough responses, we are going to start mailing demo discs to everyone who preordered.
I've been away for awhile and am slowly getting caught up with all that I've missed these past few months.

Progress looks good!

Did you send out this mass email? I preordered (back in 2014!) but didn't get any message over the summer about demo discs. I just want to make sure I haven't accidentally fallen off a list or something. :)

EDIT: PM sent!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/03/2016, 07:50 PM

Also..

If that's an old movie I saw it in the theatre :)

Was that the gambling movie (poker) or the pump-n-dump stock scam movie? Anyway, I enjoyed both.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: esteban on 11/04/2016, 04:39 AM
Quote from: guest on 11/03/2016, 07:50 PM

Also..

If that's an old movie I saw it in the theatre :)

Was that the gambling movie (poker) or the pump-n-dump stock scam movie? Anyway, I enjoyed both.
The latter. What gambling movie are you talking about? Surely not Maverick.

OldRover

Sooooooooo... on-topic... Saru sent me the last of the replacement sprites, and I'm getting it into the game now. Demo release imminent.

OldRover

OldRover

Looks like the demo discs are ready and are about to start shipping. Looks like Saru's gonna handle it, so I can focus on coding HE some more.

esteban

TheClash603

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

sirhcman

Since I pre-ordered is there somewhere I can download an ISO of the demo?

TheClash603

Was out all day and when I came home the demo was waiting for me.  This is awesome you sent this out, I am pumped to fire this up tomorrow!

OldRover

Looks like we may be doing a public demo shortly. I'll keep everyone updated when I can.

esteban

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 11/23/2016, 11:44 PMSince I pre-ordered is there somewhere I can download an ISO of the demo?
Anyone know?

OldRover

Quote from: OldRover on 11/26/2016, 08:10 PMLooks like we may be doing a public demo shortly. I'll keep everyone updated when I can.
^^^ ;)

Sarumaru

So the demo discs went out to all those who first pre-ordered Lucretia some time ago. Most of those people should have gotten them by now except those from the early pre-orders who have not confirmed their mailing addresses with Rover. An ISO will be going up with this build of the demo sometime toward the end of the week. Inserts will also be available to download so that you may decorate your demos and make them shelf-appropriate :P

OldRover

I am going to do a second string of emails for those who have not yet confirmed.

Mathius

*gasp*

Could I get a confirmation please of whether or not a demo was shipped out for moi yet?  :)

*gasp* *gasp*

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 11/28/2016, 10:57 PM*gasp*

Could I get a confirmation please of whether or not a demo was shipped out for moi yet?  :)

*gasp* *gasp*
Me too please!

LostFlunky

Here is my confirmation... I received the demo today... thanks!

Mathius

Main reason I wanted a confirmation was I couldn't remember what address I gave back then.

OldRover

roflmao

shubibiman

Quote from: OldRover on 11/28/2016, 01:37 PMI am going to do a second string of emails for those who have not yet confirmed.
Have you sent e-mails to all those who have pre-ordered ?

Some french friends who hav epre-ordered 3 years ago have not received anything.

Considering what happened to a friend who's still waiting for his collector copy of Mysterious Song, I think you might want to do something to reassure them. Can you PM me your e-mail address ?
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

TheClash603

I wanted to give some feedback on the demo, which I played quite a few times now.

The Good:
A.)  Love the music, I enjoyed flipping through the songs on the sound test and that the music carried into the menus.

B.)  Graphics look great.  First stage looks pretty good, but stage 2 looks phenomenal.

The Suggestions:

A.)  When killing guys, maybe there should be a bit more of a noise or a little flash or red blood spot or something?  The character's attacks don't seem to have weight and killing someone doesn't give a feeling of satisfaction.

B.)  I also suggest that the bosses flash or there is some indicator you are hitting them.  First time I reached the boss I wasn't sure I was doing damage.

C.)  Game speed is fast and sometimes it feels as though it is just a bit unfair when guys come out behind and get that quick hit.  Maybe a tad slower would be better?  I love fast games, like Summer Carnival on Famicom, but in that game enemies aren't coming from all sides.

Other:

A.)  Game is hard!  I wasn't able to make it past the second stage, so if the demo is indicative of the final release, maybe you should add a continue feature?  The guys who are a lot better than me will go for 1CC anyway, the continue gives more people enjoyment and a chance to plow through.

B.)  In the options menu there are two empty spaces you can click on.  If these are placeholders for the final release, that's cool.  If they are there in error, figured I would let you know.

3.)  Will the game include a manual discussing game mechanics?  I am not quite sure I am using the shield and power-up feature correctly and I am sure they are fine, but some guidance in a manual will be great.