Raiden II - Metal Storm (Boss Music) (PC-Engine Cover)

Started by FraGMarE, 01/13/2017, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FraGMarE

This one seemed a lot easier.  Probably both because the source material was simpler in design and I've since gotten a little more used to Deflemask.   Turned out pretty close to the arcade, really.

I kind of wish I could get the drum samples to sound cleaner.  Maybe I'll work on that later.

This is the 6 channel, 32KHz sample version, but it might as well be 5 channels since one channel literally does nothing for about 95% of the song... and the arcade track was like that too lol.

Raiden II - Metal Storm (PC-Engine Chiptune Cover) on SoundCloud

I want to do something special for the 5 channel, LQ sample version of this.  I want to rip the waveforms from the HuCard Raiden and use ONLY those waveforms for this... I'm betting this will really have that HuCard Raiden sound vibe if I do that.   :)

ccovell

Wow, some of those instruments sound really close to the arcade!  About the samples... I have had a hunch for a while that any game (see: Ninja Gaiden arcade, early Capcom) that uses the OKI MSM6295 chip has horrible, muffled samples & audio, and there's nothing you can do about that.

Michirin9801

I had never played Raiden II, but holy crap, this song is REALLY good!
Great job mate! Keep it up ^^

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

Sounds amazing.

Would it be possible to do some Street fighter 2 tracks or even super street fighter II new challengers??

FraGMarE

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/13/2017, 05:20 PMSounds amazing.

Would it be possible to do some Street fighter 2 tracks or even super street fighter II new challengers??
Man!  Some chick... Mari Yamaguchi, covered the ENTIRE arcade Street Fighter II Champion Edition soundtrack on the PC-Engine!  Would you believe it?!  It's pretty good too!  :P

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 01/13/2017, 07:05 PMMan!  Some chick... Mari Yamaguchi, covered the ENTIRE arcade Street Fighter II Champion Edition soundtrack on the PC-Engine!  Would you believe it?!  It's pretty good too!  :P
Wow really? I've never heard that, where can I find it??

spenoza

Michirin9801

seieienbu

Seriously, this is some nice work.  Are you up for taking requests?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/14/2017, 05:53 AMSeriously, this is some nice work.  Are you up for taking requests?
He is going to arrange an "electron-funk" and "hard cock" version of 2-3 songs from Blodia first.

Thank you.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SmokeMonster

Another great cover! I own the Raiden II PCB and I definitely think this does it justice.

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

FraGMarE

Thanks, guys!  Glad you like it!  More stuff on the way.  :)

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/14/2017, 05:53 AMSeriously, this is some nice work.  Are you up for taking requests?
The next two tracks I'm doing will also be Raiden II music (for the 25th Anniversary Project).... but after that...

I'm honestly thinking about taking a crack at another Sega Genesis track.  One people will be like "No... it can't be.  That's not possible!"

When you think of absolutely furious, all out, balls-to-the-fucking-wall wailing FM synth metal guitar on the Genesis, with insane pitch bends and vibrato effects going on everywhere, what is the FIRST highly coveted Genesis game soundtrack that comes to mind???

Hint: There's a storm a' brewin'  ;)

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 01/15/2017, 10:16 AMThanks, guys!  Glad you like it!  More stuff on the way.  :)

The next two tracks I'm doing will also be Raiden II music (for the 25th Anniversary Project).... but after that...

I'm honestly thinking about taking a crack at another Sega Genesis track.  One people will be like "No... it can't be.  That's not possible!"

When you think of absolutely furious, all out, balls-to-the-fucking-wall wailing FM synth metal guitar on the Genesis, with insane pitch bends and vibrato effects going on everywhere, what is the FIRST highly coveted Genesis game soundtrack that comes to mind???

There's a storm a' brewin'  ;)
It's Thunder Force isn't it?
I already did Fighting Back from Thunder Force IV a while back as a request from a friend, but to be honest, I don't enjoy the TF soundtracks nearly as much as everyone else seems to... It's just that I'm really not into metal, much less gritty FM metal >w>
But yeah, there are the exceptions, and Fighting Back is an exception to me, I like the song...

elmer

Quote from: fragmare on 01/15/2017, 10:16 AMThanks, guys!  Glad you like it!  More stuff on the way.  :)
That's brilliant to hear ... you're obviously having fun making these.  :D

I honestly didn't love this track anywhere near as much as your last tracks ... but that's just because of the style of the music. Your execution was excellent!

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 01/15/2017, 11:22 AM
Quote from: fragmare on 01/15/2017, 10:16 AMI'm honestly thinking about taking a crack at another Sega Genesis track.  One people will be like "No... it can't be.  That's not possible!"

I already did Fighting Back from Thunder Force IV a while back as a request from a friend, but to be honest, I don't enjoy the TF soundtracks nearly as much as everyone else seems to... It's just that I'm really not into metal, much less gritty FM metal >w>
But yeah, there are the exceptions, and Fighting Back is an exception to me, I like the song...
Well, I love your version of Fighting Back, so I'd definitely enjoy hearing fragmare's version of a track.  8)

CrackTiger

Hint: There's a storm a' brewin'  ;)
Thunder Force IV is the most signature heavy metal Genersis music.

TFIII is less so, because it was ported to arcade and SNES.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

FraGMarE

Nice!  Awesome cover, I just listened to it.  I'm considering doing the legendary Metal Squad  :)

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 01/15/2017, 12:19 PM

Nice!  Awesome cover, I just listened to it.  I'm considering doing the legendary Metal Squad  :)
Glad you like it ^^
And still, even if I'm not into the style, I'm looking forward to listening to your version ^^

CrackTiger

I think that Metal Squad has the best chance among the metal tracks of TFIV to sound very similar through deflemask.

Fighting Back already stole from a very FM sounding PCE game bgm, so there's not as much to prove by attempting it.

I'd rather have Lightning Strikes Again more than anything else.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

FraGMarE

I've also considered doing Stab & Stomp! from the also legendary and highly coveted Battle Garegga arcade soundtrack.
Is that some fucking SICK musical use of LFO effects i hear at 0:29 and 1:29?!?!

Digi.k

Quote from: fragmare on 01/13/2017, 07:05 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 01/13/2017, 05:20 PMSounds amazing.

Man!  Some chick... Mari Yamaguchi, covered the ENTIRE arcade Street Fighter II Champion Edition soundtrack on the PC-Engine!  Would you believe it?!  It's pretty good too!  :P
It's good but I was hoping it would have been more akin to coryoon sounding :p

the new challangers would be amazing!