@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Worst US Turbografx CD Game

Started by Magister, 01/13/2017, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Is The Worst US Turbografx CD Game?

The Addams Family
5 (7.6%)
Beyond Shadowgate
3 (4.5%)
Bonk 3 – Bonk's Big Adventure
2 (3%)
Buster Bros.
1 (1.5%)
Camp California
8 (12.1%)
Cosmic Fantasy 2
0 (0%)
Cotton: Fantastic Night Dream
1 (1.5%)
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
0 (0%)
Dungeon Explorer II
5 (7.6%)
Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest
1 (1.5%)
The Dynastic Hero
0 (0%)
Exile
0 (0%)
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
3 (4.5%)
Fighting Street
16 (24.2%)
Final Zone II
2 (3%)
Forgotten Worlds
1 (1.5%)
Gate of Thunder
5 (7.6%)
Godzilla
0 (0%)
It Came From The Desert
12 (18.2%)
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf
9 (13.6%)
J.B. Harold Murder Club
1 (1.5%)
John Madden Duo CD Football
7 (10.6%)
Last Alert
1 (1.5%)
Loom
0 (0%)
Lords of the Rising Sun
1 (1.5%)
Lords of Thunder
5 (7.6%)
Magical Dinosaur Tour
19 (28.8%)
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra
1 (1.5%)
Monster Lair
0 (0%)
Prince of Persia
1 (1.5%)
Riot Zone
1 (1.5%)
Shadow of the Beast
2 (3%)
Shape Shifter
4 (6.1%)
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
2 (3%)
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Volume 2
2 (3%)
Sim Earth: The Living Planet
7 (10.6%)
Splash Lake
3 (4.5%)
Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly Paradise
2 (3%)
Syd Mead's Terraforming
0 (0%)
Valis II
0 (0%)
Valis III
1 (1.5%)
Vasteel
0 (0%)
Ys Book I & II
5 (7.6%)
Ys Book III: Wanderers from Ys
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Magister

Figured I would do 5 Votes Per User like the TG16 poll.
This Space For Rent.

CrackTiger

It's surprising how seeing a list like this with everything together that it's more a matter of "least good".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

Yeah the turbo cd offerings are really solid all things considered.

Also I can't believe that this list has ALL US disc releases. My vote goes for Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

LostFlunky

I voted for Magical Dinosaur Tour, and then realized it was a trick... because it's not really a game!

synbiosfan

This will help me to avoid a few stinkers :P

HuMan

Anyone who says "Loom" or "Prince of Persia" is an uncultured heathen.

Not sure what to pick, maybe Fighting Street.

EmperorIng

I know there are some games there that are likely worse, but Exile: Wicked Phenomenon is a fucking wretched game, JPN or USA.

Even garbage like Sherlock Holmes and It Came from the Desert at least have funny cutscenes to laugh at. Not so much Exile WP except for the first one where Vic intuited that one of the voices needed to sound like a constipated lobotomy patient, subtly cluing you into to the fact that you were about to play a half-finished, drooling game.

blueraven

I'm staring at all of these choices, and... not really wanting to vote. 

Quote from: guest on 01/13/2017, 10:47 PMYeah the turbo cd offerings are really solid all things considered.

Also I can't believe that this list has ALL US disc releases...
Yes.

Quote from: HuMan on 01/14/2017, 12:20 AMAnyone who says "Loom" or "Prince of Persia" is an uncultured heathen.

Not sure what to pick....
Yes.

Quote from: synbiosfan on 01/14/2017, 12:03 AMThis will help me to avoid a few stinkers :P
Nothing here is incredibly shitty.

Quote from: EmperorIng on 01/14/2017, 01:48 AMI know there are some games there that are likely worse, but Exile: Wicked Phenomenon is a fucking wretched game, JPN or USA.

Even garbage like Sherlock Holmes and It Came from the Desert at least have funny cutscenes to laugh at. Not so much Exile WP except for the first one where Vic intuited that one of the voices needed to sound like a constipated lobotomy patient, subtly cluing you into to the fact that you were about to play a half-finished, drooling game.
I liked Exile WP, all things considered. The JP ver. was too hard and the US ver. too easy. Playing as Fahkyle and Rumi and the big dude with the lennon-style sunglasses and fez was also rad. The voice acting was that same crew that did the voice acting for a bunch of the US Turbo games. Like Addams Family... very badly. But you can recognize them from game to game. This is yet another way the US side of NEC totally fucked up.

The JP version had good voice acting.

seieienbu

I can't vote for 5.  A long while ago I disliked the Addams Family but playing it more recently made me think it was okay just not up to par.  I voted for Magical Dinosaur Tour and It Came From the Desert because those are the only two (though there are a few I haven't played) that I thought were downright worse and un-fun.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

necro... please immediately ban anybody who votes for addams family.
k. thx.

MisterCrash

Replaying It Came from the Desert recently has convinced me that I have no need to play it ever again. It makes for an interesting historical relic, but it has aged very poorly. The FMV is difficult to watch, and the controls in the ant tunnels are aggravating.

That being said, I didn't even consider replaying Fighting Street. I seem to recall very long load times, frustrating controls with the D-pad, and very limited enjoyment. While it may be unfair to compare this to modern games, basically any fighting game released in the last 25 years wipes the floor with this one.

The wildcard is Lords of the Rising Sun. I think I have spent a grand total of 15 minutes playing it this century, and could not figure it out at all. I'd have to revisit it before declaring it one of the worst games.

(I presume the vote for Ys Book I & II is a joke.)

Magister

Just because you can vote for 5 of them doesn't mean you have to.  I just figured I keep it similar to the poll for the TG16.  I have about 10 CD games.  I don't think any of them are bad.  But I will say the one I couldn't get into was Sim Earth.  I loved Sim City when it first came out, but Sim Earth doesn't have the same feel.
This Space For Rent.

jlued686

Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/13/2017, 10:40 PMIt's surprising how seeing a list like this with everything together that it's more a matter of "least good".
I was going to say the same thing. Not sure I can vote. Everything's decent.

TheClash603

My picks:

Magical Dinosaur Tour - An edutainment title for children likely won't have many fans here, so this should be the clear winner.  Even if I could put myself in the child mindset, which surprisingly isn't too hard, I still don't think this is a good choice in the edutainment genre.  Give me one of the Blaster games or Carmen San Diego, I am not totally adverse to the genre.

Fighting Street - Hardly playable.  Historically this game has merit, but it's not even as good as other early fighters like Karate Champ or Yie Ar Kung Fu.  Capcom got their shit together, so all is forgiven with the series, but this first entry that no longer stands on its own.

Riot Zone - Game moves too slow and the lack of two player is glaring.  I think this is one of my least favorite games because of the disappointment compared to its contemporaries.  I played the first Streets of Rage with a friend the other day and it is not only better than this game, but so much better, that this has to be one of the weakest entries into the genre.  One of my favorite genres of games, so that's why this one hurt me so much to play through, missed opportunity.

Magister

Did J.B. Harold Murder Club come with anything else besides the manual and note book?  I have that game and had a hard time playing it.  Of course I haven't tried it again in years.  Might have to give it another shot.
This Space For Rent.

tg16manaic

How is it possible that Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder each received 1 vote as "worst" game? lol
Perhaps someone didn't read properly.

NecroPhile

I agree with BT that none of 'em are really all that bad, but here's the four I think are the least fun:

Exile: Wicked Phenomenon - Vic fucks up the difficulty level, making it more of a chore to play than fun.

Magical Dinosaur Tour - has some neat art but ultimately comes up short on the entertainment half of edutainment.

Sim Earth - it's a decent enough port, I guess, but Sim Earth is bland and boring in all iterations.

Fighting Street - I can forgive only having two playable characters, but the controls kill it, especially when you wanna pull off special moves.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Asmikace

Fighting Street has my vote. Not only its a hard to play game, it was a port of arcade game with crummy controls that the developers should have improved on then try to mimic.

csgx1

I guess I'm the only one here that likes Fighting Street.  It's kind of fun when you master the special moves and can almost pull them off at will.

glazball

Magical Dinosaur Tour should certainly win.

Fighting Street - ok it's not great but it's far from being the worst.  Everyone seems to think the control is broken but the special moves are SUPPOSED TO BE HARD TO PULL OFF.  That was the point on this version and the arcade as well, just like it would be hard in a real life fight to summon a ball of energy and throw it at your opponent.  They weren't meant to be spammed like SFII.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

EmperorIng

Man I am glad Fighting Street was able to sate my craving for realistic street fighting.

Arkhan Asylum

I picked M&M3 and Sim Earth because they suck without a mouse.

also fuck whoever picked Shadow of the Beast.  You're dumb.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

exodus

Fighting street has more votes than camp california! that is crazy to me.

NecroPhile

Camp California has shoddy hit detection, but it's pretty solid otherwise.

CrackTiger

The Beach Boys alone make Camp California my least enjoyable Turbo CD game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NoSexGex

Who picked beyond shadowGate?? I haven't played it before, but the reviews I've watched look amazing
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

NecroPhile

NoSexGex

IMG

I blame that Dylan Ward guy
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2017, 04:24 PMThe Beach Boys alone make Camp California my least enjoyable Turbo CD game.
OMG!

SRSLY.

:)

...and, just to TORTURE YOU FURTHER:

https://junk.tg-16.com/audio/miscellaneous/02_Camp_California.mp3I know you are enough of a masochist, like myself, to listen to both tracks, in their entirety, over the next hour or so.

Those are my evening plans, anyway.

I am not proud to use a WMD in such a civilized thread.

UPDATE: Wow, I'm up to 6 listens of Yo Lil Bro and I am actually starting to love this song and sing along. This what not my plan.

UPDATE: It's 8:36.  I spent the entire time since this post listening to the one track over and over and over (it's the default behavior in my browser to loop the track).

I OFFICIALLY LOVE THIS STOOOOOPID song.

Of course, it's not actually the Beach Boys. But, whatever.

EvilEvoIX

Fighting Street by a mile.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2017, 04:24 PMThe Beach Boys alone make Camp California my least enjoyable Turbo CD game.
Go listen to the Beach Boys until you like them.  One of the best groups of all-time.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/17/2017, 08:09 PM
Go listen to the Beach Boys until you like them.  One of the best groups of all-time.
Pet Sounds is a masterpiece.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

I listen to the entire XMAS album every XMAS, since I grew up listening to that holiday album ('tis awesome).

:)

Anyway, CrackTiger just needs to watch the Yo, Bro episode of LeDoodle a few more times and he'll be a fan.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 01/17/2017, 08:14 PM
Pet Sounds is a masterpiece.
You'll tease me, but I love "Wendy" by Beach Boys... or did they cover it?
ANYWAY, I love that song. I used to hear it at diners all the time. LOVE THAT DAMN SONG as I drink coffee and eat a pickle.

Yeah. A pickle.

TheClash603

Good song choice, I love rock from the 50s and 60s.  Even though I listen to a lot of punk and hardcore music, I need to balance it with the early stuff.

I am going to Sun Studio and Graceland again in February, I'm a nerd.  I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

Riot Zone still sucks.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 01/17/2017, 08:33 PMYou'll tease me, but I love "Wendy" by Beach Boys... or did they cover it?
It's both an excellent song and a fantastic place to get Chicken Nuggets.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/17/2017, 09:44 PMRiot Zone still sucks.
How they managed to put 2 player on the case and shipped a one player game still boggles the mind.
--DragonmasterDan

bob

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/18/2017, 03:53 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/17/2017, 09:44 PMRiot Zone still sucks.
How they managed to put 2 player on the case and shipped a one player game still boggles the mind.
lol.  i actually enjoy riot zone.  my rose tinted glasses still have not worn off with having a final fight clone attempt on the TG.  i still appreciate it for all its terrible-ness.

Mighty

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2017, 04:35 PMWho picked beyond shadowGate?? I haven't played it before, but the reviews I've watched look amazing
The game sucks, it's boring and slow.

bob

Quote from: Mighty on 01/18/2017, 09:39 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/17/2017, 04:35 PMWho picked beyond shadowGate?? I haven't played it before, but the reviews I've watched look amazing
The game sucks, it's boring and slow.
"slow" because you have to think, and appreciate the details of Beyond Shadowgate.  Half the fun is finding out how to die.  Not many games make it just as fun to die as it is to progress.

find solace in Beyond Shadowgate, young grasshopper.  Not every game is a bullet-fest Call of Duty.
slow down, use brain over brawn and be proud of the results.

FraGMarE

I'm with Arkhan.  I don't think Magical Dinosaur Tour should be on this list.  Or any of these lists.  It's not even a game.  It's an interactive educational kids book, basically.  It's like, "Look, you little shit.  Today, you're gonna sit down and learn about dinosaurs."  Outdated as some of the scientific facts may be today... It's not even apples to oranges, it's like apples to broccoli.  It's like comparing Zero Wing on the Sega Genesis to Reading Rainbow with Lavar Burton hahah

And Riot Zone is NOT the worst game on the US TGCD.  It IS, however, the biggest let down.  Everybody just has this overall feeling about it that something that should have been great... turned out just mediocre at best.  I'm in that same crowd.  It's not just the lack of 2 player co-op either.  Only 3 enemies ever appear on-screen at a time.  There are ZERO weapons to pick up and use.  The walk animations are lols.  The music is from a waiting room somewhere.  Some of the color/saturation choices are lols.  There's a whole list.  It's a shame too, since some of the graphics and graphical effects are top notch... it's just... blah.  I think most of the problem is the fact the Sega arcade game it's loosely based on is also a mediocre snore fest.  Hard to make a great game when it's based on a kind of shitty one to begin with.

I voted Fighting Street and Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf CD

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/18/2017, 03:53 AMHow they managed to put 2 player on the case and shipped a one player game still boggles the mind.
Must have been an assumption like, how is this not a 2 player game?
IMGIMGIMG

Otaking

Top 10 Worst CD games so far according to this poll.
Games with the same amount of votes in the poll hold the same position in the chart.

N00bs make sure to avoid these games they're ALL terrible.

1 - Magical Dinosaur Tour

2 - Fighting Street

3 - It Came From The Desert

4 - Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf

5- John Madden Duo CD Football, Sim Earth

6 - Ys Book I &II, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Dungeon Explorer II

7 - Camp California

8 - Beyond Shadowgate, The Addams Family

9 - Splash Lake, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, Shape Shifter

10 - Cotton, Forgotten Worlds, Buster Bros., Super Air Zonk, Might & Magic III, Shadow of the Beast, Riot Zone, Dungeon Master, J.B Harold, Sherlock, Sherlock 2, Lords of the Rising Sun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

LostFlunky

Quote from: Otaking on 01/18/2017, 01:33 PMTop 10 Worst CD games so far according to this poll.

2 - Fighting Street

7 - Camp California

10 - Cotton, Forgotten Worlds, Buster Bros., Super Air Zonk, Might & Magic III, Shadow of the Beast, Riot Zone, Dungeon Master, J.B Harold, Sherlock, Sherlock 2, Lords of the Rising Sun
They some contrary mofo's on this site...

Otaking

N00bs can use my top 10 list above as a tool to avoid the bad games on the system. Stick to the games not on that list and you'll be fine and assured you're playing the best Turbo Grafx CD has to offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

bob

this proves my point...
NO $100 game can possibly be bad.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182426363278

LostFlunky

Quote from: Otaking on 01/18/2017, 01:56 PMN00bs can use my top 10 list above as a tool to avoid the bad games on the system. Stick to the games not on that list and you'll be fine and assured you're playing the best Turbo Grafx CD has to offer.
Yes, 6 through 10 is all absolute pap...  ...except Camp California, that's a good one...

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Otaking on 01/18/2017, 01:33 PMTop 10 Worst CD games so far according to this poll.
Games with the same amount of votes in the poll hold the same position in the chart.

2 - Fighting Street

7 - Camp California

lol I didn't stop to look at the poll results before, wtf?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TheClash603

Madden isn't terrible, it plays at least as well as other football games of its day and has some awesome FMV.  Dislike of football is likely the driver of this vote, but I argue it's unjust.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/19/2017, 12:09 AMMadden isn't terrible, it plays at least as well as other football games of its day and has some awesome FMV.  Dislike of football is likely the driver of this vote, but I argue it's unjust.
Yeah, Madden is perfectly playable.
--DragonmasterDan

seieienbu

I never played Sim Earth on Turbo CD but man, that game was a letdown after Sim City.  It felt like you just couldn't do, like, anything.  I halfway want to pick up a copy and give it a shot just to see if my memory of the game is at all based on what the game is actually like or if I just couldn't grasp the goal as a ten year old...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93