@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

HuCard (Who Card or Hugh Card) You decide!

Started by JoshTurboTrollX, 01/19/2017, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you pronounce HuCard?

Who Card
4 (10.8%)
Hugh Card
33 (89.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

JoshTurboTrollX

That's it!  I'm sick of you Owl lovin' Who Card speakers! Time to put your sillyness to rest!!

Vote HuCard!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jtucci31

Ergot_Cholera

I would have assumed that Americans would pronounce the'U' sound soft (like tube pronounced toob), whereas in the UK we would be more inclined to pronounce the 'U' hard (tube=choob).

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

ChuChu Flamingo

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Hew.
Card.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

geise

synbiosfan

Who card is up there with pronouncing nes and snes like a word. First time I heard that I laughed at the Game Stop employee. I usually at them anyhow tbh.

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

wildfruit

Quote from: synbiosfan on 01/19/2017, 05:03 PMWho card is up there with pronouncing nes and snes like a word.
It's all the rage in pal land
Shoryhewken karado

CGQuarterly

I pronounce it "hugh card", but if the "Hu" is from "Hudson", then I guess it should be "huh card"...

synbiosfan

Quote from: wildfruit on 01/19/2017, 07:00 PM
Quote from: synbiosfan on 01/19/2017, 05:03 PMWho card is up there with pronouncing nes and snes like a word.
Shoryhewken karado
Never heard my cousins say that but I like the British pronunciation of aluminum.

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

xcrement5x

Quote from: esteban on 01/19/2017, 03:45 PMHew.
Card.

IMG
Quote from: geise on 01/19/2017, 04:13 PMPronounced hue
Same as these guys, my thinking is it's always been like what you would expect HU to sound like like in Japanese, since it's from Hudson, but therein lies the weirdness. 

Even though it's spelled HUDSON on everything, the JP spellings I have ever seen for the company are ハドソン (or HADOSON). Which is like, okay that sounds like Hudson but now I'm really confused.

Quote from: synbiosfan on 01/19/2017, 07:40 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 01/19/2017, 07:00 PM
Shoryhewken karado
Never heard my cousins say that but I like the British pronunciation of aluminum.
What gets me more is the British or Australians who pronounce Sega as "SEE-GAH".... le wut?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Arkhan Asylum

You ever hear the British people that say "koe nay mee" for Konami?

lol it is awful.

In any event, it's Hew (hyoo, hugh) Card.  They even say "hewcard" in the Japanese commercials...

https://youtu.be/Ax_eLjSg13k

Mystery solved.   
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

The round eye kids say it like that, but the adult voiceover dude says hucardo.

Ergot_Cholera

I am a Britisher and I have never heard anyone pronounce SEGA as SEE-GA. It has always been pronounced SÉ-GA to me (it even informs you how to pronounce it at startup in some games). Also Konami is pronounced as it should be KO-NA-ME.
Your information source is unreliable.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/20/2017, 03:09 PMThe round eye kids say it like that, but the adult voiceover dude says hucardo.
He says "hyuu cardo"..

you deaf
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 03:11 PMYour information source is unreliable.
My information source is your fellow countrymen talking like jackasses on their shitty YouTube channels.

Let me see if I can track some down.

Arkhan Asylum

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 03:11 PMI am a Britisher and I have never heard anyone pronounce SEGA as SEE-GA. It has always been pronounced SÉ-GA to me (it even informs you how to pronounce it at startup in some games). Also Konami is pronounced as it should be KO-NA-ME.
Aussies definitely say SEE-GAH
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Psycho Punch

It's pronounced both ways even in official HADASAN stuff...
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

NEW CHALLENGE:

Say HUE KARD x20

I can't do it without fumbling over the sounds and generating babble by 15/16 iterations...

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 03:11 PMI am a Britisher and I have never heard anyone pronounce SEGA as SEE-GA. It has always been pronounced SÉ-GA to me (it even informs you how to pronounce it at startup in some games). Also Konami is pronounced as it should be KO-NA-ME.
My and my friend used to pronounce it SEE-GA. To us, the megadrive was the '16-bit SEE-GA' for a while. Then, we corrected ourselves once we knew better i.e. after there were actually speech samples in the games.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2017, 05:42 AM
My and my friend used to pronounce it SEE-GA. To us, the megadrive was the '16-bit SEE-GA' for a while. Then, we corrected ourselves once we knew better i.e. after there were actually speech samples in the games.
I used to call a certain game "Cheenah Warrior" because a friend  pronounced it that way and I assumed he knew something that I didn't. Note: He was a dumbass, but that still didn't raise any red flags. I didn't actually own TG-16 yet, let alone the game. We said "Cheenah" for a few months (between console launch and XMAS, when I finally bought TG-16).

I am a semi-intelligent person. I still don't understand why it took me so long to realize the obvious.

I would love to tell you that I was I intentionally applying a Spanish pronunciation to an obviously English word...but I wasn't.

My dad had really bad sleep apnea and he would gasp for breath in the middle of the night. It sounded just like: "SEEEGAH!"

I am pretty certain he was an agent of FEKA.

Bloufo

There's a youtuber whose pronunciation of it is "H" "U" "card".

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 01/20/2017, 04:02 PMAussies definitely say SEE-GAH
They really do. lol

If you have trouble with it just think of the proper pronunciation (according to the man himself) of Steven Seagal's surname, and lose the "L" at the end.

So you'd go something like: "SAY-GA".  Close enough. :P

Ergot_Cholera

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/20/2017, 03:25 PM
KUHNAYMEEEEE

lol.
Yes, you found an example. What a dull monotone voice.

wildfruit

All the kids at school said see gah. This lasted well into the mid 90s.

MisterCrash

I thought that the Japanese character for "Hu" (ふ or フ) was pronounced "fu". Is there a chance it should be "FuCard"?

Only slightly joking... I realize the Hu in HuCard comes from Hudson, which is spelled with a ハ.

Anyway, I've always gone with hyu'-card.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

_Paul

Bloufo

Dunno about now, but back in the day she was well fit.

esteban

HuMan

exodus

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2017, 02:40 PMIn any event, it's Hew (hyoo, hugh) Card.  They even say "hewcard" in the Japanese commercials...
Beat me to it. It is officially Hyoo card, even though:
- Japan has a "Hu" sound, though it sounds more like "foo"
- Hudson in Japan is pronounced "Hadason"

Anyone who says "whocard" or "Konaymee" or "Sea-gah" or "Merry-oh" should like... figure out how to say stuff.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, if you were going with the pronunciation of "Hudson", they'd be saying HahCards, lol

xcrement5x

Quote from: wildfruit on 01/21/2017, 09:27 AMAll the kids at school said see gah. This lasted well into the mid 90s.
I think it makes sense for why it happened in the UK (I think that's where you're from), because the SMS was so big over there people saw the name and just made their own interpretation of how it was supposed to be pronounced.  It wasn't until the MegaDrive came out and you had the SEGA chant in the beginning of Sonic that most people probably knew how to pronounce it.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2017, 02:35 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 01/21/2017, 09:27 AMAll the kids at school said see gah. This lasted well into the mid 90s.
I think it makes sense for why it happened in the UK (I think that's where you're from), because the SMS was so big over there people saw the name and just made their own interpretation of how it was supposed to be pronounced.  It wasn't until the MegaDrive came out and you had the SEGA chant in the beginning of Sonic that most people probably knew how to pronounce it.
I wonder how did I know how to pronounce it long before Sonic? I don't remember much if any Master System TV ads in US to teach me. Years later when I had a real SMS I was surprised that the BIOS start up has the Sega jingle, though not voiced. I didn't realize how old it was.
IMG

NecroPhile

wildfruit

I mean this advert says say-gah but I guess I never saw it or paid attention.
Also what a bargain

xcrement5x

Wait, there was Toys R Us in the UK?!  My mind is thoroughly blown at this point.

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2017, 03:59 PMWait, there was Toys R Us in the UK?!  My mind is thoroughly blown at this point.
According to their website since 1985. My earliest memory of one is seeing an Atari lynx for the first time so early 90s I guess. I remember they hung games in vga style acrylic cases rather than on shelves.

Keith Courage

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 01/19/2017, 07:07 PMI pronounce it "hugh card", but if the "Hu" is from "Hudson", then I guess it should be "huh card"...
I prefer calling it a Huh card.

schadenfreude

Yep, even the Japanese Wikipedia page for HuCARD agrees with the "hue" pronunciation:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/HuCARD

Quote from: WikipediaHuCARD(ヒューカード)
Another fun fact: CD-ROM2 is pronounced "CD ROM ROM":

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM2

Quote from: WikipediaCD-ROM2(シーディーロムロム)

_Paul

Fun fact: My brother's character in the Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG was called Shidi Rommu. I was called HuCARD.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2017, 05:48 PMFun fact: My brother's character in the Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG was called Shidi Rommu. I was called HuCARD.
Shut up. :)

Does your brother do any art stuff, these days?

Didn't you two create sprites back when you were youthful and British?

Or...am I remembering incorrectly?

Quote from: schadenfreude on 02/13/2017, 03:34 PMYep, even the Japanese Wikipedia page for HuCARD agrees with the "hue" pronunciation:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/HuCARD

Quote from: WikipediaHuCARD(ヒューカード)
Another fun fact: CD-ROM2 is pronounced "CD ROM ROM":

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM2

Quote from: WikipediaCD-ROM2(シーディーロムロム)
As long as those entires weren't authored by undercover FEKA agents, we should be OK.