Safe to use a 9V UK Power supply on a Japanese PC Engine?

Started by Artabasdos, 03/20/2017, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artabasdos

As title. I have read online that it's safe to use UK 9V Power supplies on a PC Engine. Is this true? Would this cable be ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/supply-Engine-TurboGrafx-PAD-105-PAD-106/dp/B00IPWE4XO

Also, I will be using RF until I get my PCE RGB modded. Will something like a PAL MegaDrive I RF cable work with it?

Cheers! :)

Digi.k

Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/20/2017, 10:13 PMAs title. I have read online that it's safe to use UK 9V Power supplies on a PC Engine. Is this true? Would this cable be ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/supply-Engine-TurboGrafx-PAD-105-PAD-106/dp/B00IPWE4XO

Also, I will be using RF until I get my PCE RGB modded. Will something like a PAL MegaDrive I RF cable work with it?

Just on a standard pc engine no CD-Rom unit ?

I use a cheap multi current one which I bought from TESCO years ago.  You just need to get the right polarity.

I don't know if the RF will work since the console signal is NTSC.  At best you might get a black and white picture.

You can also use an AV booster which slots into the back of the unit. Some of these come with battery RAM Back up unit and unless it's been modified you can use RCA composite from them.

Artabasdos

Quote from: Digi.k on 03/21/2017, 08:01 AM
Quote from: Artabasdos on 03/20/2017, 10:13 PMAs title. I have read online that it's safe to use UK 9V Power supplies on a PC Engine. Is this true? Would this cable be ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/supply-Engine-TurboGrafx-PAD-105-PAD-106/dp/B00IPWE4XO

Just on a standard pc engine no CD-Rom unit ?

I use a cheap multi current one which I bought from TESCO years ago.  You just need to get the right polarity.

I don't know if the RF will work since the console signal is NTSC.  At best you might get a black and white picture.

You can also use an AV booster which slots into the back of the unit. Some of these come with battery RAM Back up unit and unless it's been modified you can use RCA composite from them.
Yes mate, just a PC Engine! I've been told elsewhere that the PC Engine has both internal + and - variations, so I don't wanna fry mine!

imparanoic

9v 2000mah is fine

there is a few alternatives suppliers on ebay, check the tip polarity and tip size, could be even cheaper

also your local maplins could have the same psu (though best to check)

Winniez

The polarity is center negative. Its the same plug as in Famicom and Super Famicom. I believe all 3 systems have very similar compatible PSU. But don't use the European SNES one, its center positive.

Winniez

It might also be worth it to build AV cable instead of using the RF.  Very quick and easy to build and you don't have to modify your system.
http://www.cgquarterly.com/2010/04/26/building-a-turbografx-16-pc-engine-composite-av-cable/

Artabasdos

Quote from: Winniez on 03/25/2017, 10:32 AMIt might also be worth it to build AV cable instead of using the RF.  Very quick and easy to build and you don't have to modify your system.
http://www.cgquarterly.com/2010/04/26/building-a-turbografx-16-pc-engine-composite-av-cable/
I'll look into this when I recieve my PCE and get it set up. Thank you! :)

_Paul

I think I used to use my 9v Spectrum power supply on my white PCE with no problems.

Artabasdos

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2017, 01:07 PMI think I used to use my 9v Spectrum power supply on my white PCE with no problems.
I think I'll buy that cable from Amazon just to play it safe.

Digi.k

if you got this power supply this is compatible too.  I don't know what sega system it belongs to...

/0B3C42DB-646A-4052-8F29-61D69A7A71F1.jpg

Artabasdos

Quote from: Digi.k on 03/27/2017, 01:59 PMif you got this power supply this is compatible too.  I don't know what sega system it belongs to...
/0B3C42DB-646A-4052-8F29-61D69A7A71F1.jpg
Looks like a model I Megadrive PSU.

SuperPlay

Artabasdos

soop

Yeah, I'm fairly sure a MD PSU will work.  Also, you won't hurt it by sticking the wrong polatiry in.  I have a loose connector with my multi adaptor and I get it wrong sometimes. 

However, you won't be able to use RF on a UK TV unless it takes an NTSC input, which most of them probably don't
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Artabasdos

Quote from: soop on 03/31/2017, 10:22 AMYeah, I'm fairly sure a MD PSU will work.  Also, you won't hurt it by sticking the wrong polatiry in.  I have a loose connector with my multi adaptor and I get it wrong sometimes. 

However, you won't be able to use RF on a UK TV unless it takes an NTSC input, which most of them probably don't
I already used an MD I (or MegaCD I PSU. Both are the same) PSU and MD I RF cable to tune my HDTV to the PCE's channel. My TV was untuned as I only use it for PS4 and streaming media. However, the auto-tuner still found the PCE's RF output fine.

Anyway, I intend to get either an IFU unit or RGB mod at some point. Until then RF will do.

soop

Oh nice - I might see if my PCEs work, I've actually never even tried!

Artabasdos

Quote from: soop on 03/31/2017, 10:33 AMOh nice - I might see if my PCEs work, I've actually never even tried!
Lol. Why have them then?
I also only tried the MD PSU for around 2 minutes whilst I tuned the TV. It's 10V, which is 1V above what it should be. Therefore I'm getting a 9V cable just to play it safe.

soop

I have loads knocking around for projects and stuff, but I have a lot of other hardware anyway, so I generally just use a Core Grafx/Supergrafx.

Also, an extra volt is well above tolerance for the PCE (it actually gets converted down to 5v internally, and the part that converts is rated to like 20v).  I mean get an extra one anyway, but even if you tested the output, it probably wouldn't be exactly 9v.  Just to set your mind at ease :)  PC Engines are tough little things!

Artabasdos

Quote from: soop on 03/31/2017, 10:45 AMI have loads knocking around for projects and stuff, but I have a lot of other hardware anyway, so I generally just use a Core Grafx/Supergrafx.

Also, an extra volt is well above tolerance for the PCE (it actually gets converted down to 5v internally, and the part that converts is rated to like 20v).  I mean get an extra one anyway, but even if you tested the output, it probably wouldn't be exactly 9v.  Just to set your mind at ease :)  PC Engines are tough little things!
Lol, ok. I only have one of each console except in a few cases. For example I have 2 MegaDrives. One modded MD I that is hooked up to my MegaCD, and outputs 60Hz PAL, and a modded MD II, that outputs 60Hz NTSC and has the cart a lot widened for JP MD games.

Also, I personally would never buy a SuperGrafx. As cool as it is, it' s worthless to me as I only buy systems whose library I have an interest in.