@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Long time lurker, new here!

Started by pressed, 07/05/2017, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pressed

Hi All!

I have been reading this forum for one reason or another for a while and I am finally saying hi. 

I guess it is normal to talk about your background with our favorite system; so I will briefly give mine.

I didn't have my first NEC system until 1998, but before that, I had 2 friends that had massive collections that would probably be worth a small fortune.  One of them even still has his Turbo CD box in his Mom's basement and it had a bunch of shirts stuffed into it (last time I saw it).  We used to play Cadash, Fighting Street, Bonk, Blazing Lazers, It Came from the Desert, Valis 3, and 5 player Bomberman often back then.  Eventually, they sold off their collections at Video Game Exchange, (I think it was a Maryland Chain, but no where else) to get Genesis 2/Sega CD combos (probably a bad move, EVEN then). 

Here is where I came to own an NEC console.  After loving Symphony of the Night For PS1, I researched where the first stage came from since it didn't match what I remember from Dracula X on SNES and much to my surprise it was on the PC Engine.  So I made it my mission to get a Duo or a TG16/CD combo with a System Card 3 so I could play it.  Eventually I found my Duo set and it even came with a "back up" of Drac X (I actually have the genuine game now).  The Duo is probably my first favorite console of all that I have, with Saturn being Second.  I guess I love the underdog. 

I still remember yelling TURBO EXPRESS!!!??? in the theater when I saw Enemy of the State.   I'm also glad I was able to get those nice full color ads from Turbo Zone Direct where I purchased the majority of my collection for bargain basement prices compared to today.  I think I got Godzilla new for like $30?  I am glad to see they are still around on ebay, although their prices are in line with everyone else now. 

Any way, glad to be a part of this forum!

esteban

Quote from: pressed on 07/05/2017, 09:33 PMHi All!

I have been reading this forum for one reason or another for a while and I am finally saying hi. 

Welcome, comrade. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

pressed

Quote from: guest on 07/05/2017, 09:58 PMeBay seller is not the real Turbo Zone Direct. Just some bumblefuck out to make max monies. I sold to him once and teabagged the shit out of the games he bought. True story.

Anywho, welcome! :D

Also, DoxPhile has a chatbox.
Oh bummer!! I remember back in those days, I had to call him to order Fighting Street, Sherlock Holmes 2 and Godzilla.  Seemed like a nice guy.  I really wish I didn't throw out those beautiful color mailers, they were really great.  I'm also scared to find it now to find "magical chase - $49.99 - IN STOCK NEW!!!!!!" I might have a heart attack.

crazydean

Welcome!

My condolences on all those hours wasted playing It Came From the Desert.  :cry:

pressed

Does anyone know if the Turbo Duo came with Keith Courage in the case ever?  When I got mine, it was loose.  That made my jimmies rustled, so I bought the game again at Too Many Games in Philadelphia so it would look better on my shelf with the other orange spine games.

pressed

Quote from: crazydean on 07/05/2017, 10:25 PMWelcome!

My condolences on all those hours wasted playing It Came From the Desert.  :cry:
It may be a bad FMV game, but it has a special place in my heart  :)

crazydean

Quote from: pressed on 07/05/2017, 10:30 PMDoes anyone know if the Turbo Duo came with Keith Courage in the case ever?  When I got mine, it was loose.  That made my jimmies rustled, so I bought the game again at Too Many Games in Philadelphia so it would look better on my shelf with the other orange spine games.
Lol. Are you sure you've been lurking here?

CrackTiger

Welcome aboard, HAR, HAAARRR, HAAAAAARRRRRR!
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

jtucci31

Funny you mention that Turbo Express in Enemy of the State. One of our members here actually acquired one used in the film.

Here is the thread about it, though it's lacking pictures.

However, I found a cool picture of it from his Instagram.

pressed

Quote from: crazydean on 07/05/2017, 10:31 PM
Quote from: pressed on 07/05/2017, 10:30 PMDoes anyone know if the Turbo Duo came with Keith Courage in the case ever?  When I got mine, it was loose.  That made my jimmies rustled, so I bought the game again at Too Many Games in Philadelphia so it would look better on my shelf with the other orange spine games.
Lol. Are you sure you've been lurking here?
I need to lurk harder obviously.  I'll do a search.   :D

TR0N

Keith Courage was a pack in for the TG16.Turbo Duo often got Ys 1&2,ninja spirit or dungeon explorer as a pack in.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

retro junkie

esteban

Quote from: retro junkie on 07/06/2017, 08:29 AM(cough)
IMG
IMG
IMG

(cough)
 :dance:
https://archives.tg-16.com/duo_world_0003.htm#turbo_zone_direct

I am always looking for really nice scans (to upgrade existing ones)...but first, we should make sure that the "new" scans are better than the existing scans.

:)

I think someone made nice scans of *some* tzd stuff over the past few years... but...

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

I dunno about the Duo, but the copy I have was in a PC Engine type HuCard case, one of those without the chip holders.  I think that's how they originally came when bundled with the TG16.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

pressed

Quote from: retro junkie on 07/06/2017, 08:29 AM(cough)
IMG
IMG
IMG

(cough)
 :dance:
Thanks for that! I havent seen one of those in years! Valis 3 for 9 bucks? Jeez!

NecroPhile

Quote from: pressed on 07/06/2017, 12:48 PMThanks for that! I havent seen one of those in years! Valis 3 for 9 bucks? Jeez!
That's a page index.  Valis 3 was $39.99.

http://www.DoxPhile/?action=magazines&magazine=7&issue=1&page=29

( brought to you by DoxPhile  :mrgreen: )

pressed

Quote from: guest on 07/06/2017, 01:58 PM
Quote from: pressed on 07/06/2017, 12:48 PMThanks for that! I havent seen one of those in years! Valis 3 for 9 bucks? Jeez!
That's a page index.  Valis 3 was $39.99.

http://www.DoxPhile/?action=magazines&magazine=7&issue=1&page=29

( brought to you by DoxPhile  :mrgreen: )
Thanks!!!

I just realized my mistake last night when I found the catalog on Google.  I just paid $75 for Valis 3 on the famous auction site.  Ouch.  I shoulda bought it back then!

MisterCrash

Well, if it makes you feel better, $40 in 1994 would be around $64 today, so it's not that much more expensive.

bob

esteban

Quote from: bob on 07/08/2017, 11:59 AMcheaper for genesis

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263001988323
Sure enough, several other auctions have similar pics.

BRILLIANT.

Back on topic:

I enjoy the Genesis VALIS III, but Turbob-CD version is superior, hands down.

:)

NecroPhile

Quote from: MisterCrash on 07/08/2017, 10:28 AMWell, if it makes you feel better, $40 in 1994 would be around $64 today, so it's not that much more expensive.
And Magical Chase is also on the price list for $40...... damn.

NoSexGex

Quote from: pressed on 07/05/2017, 09:33 PMAfter loving Symphony of the Night For PS1, I researched where the first stage came from since it didn't match what I remember from Dracula X on SNES and much to my surprise it was on the PC Engine.  So I made it my mission to get a Duo or a TG16/CD combo with a System Card 3 so I could play it.
Helllll yeaaah, that's way better then how I found out. I read about it in an issue of Nintendo power back when it was first released on the VC. Downloaded it, instantly loved it which solidified my craving to get my OG TG16.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

RNSpeed