10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Nantettatte Engine: A PC Engine Birthday present for you and yours.

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 10/28/2017, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-nantettatte_engine.html

https://aetherbyte.bandcamp.com/releases (MUSICCCCC)

In honor of the PC Engine's upcoming birthday, we present to you: Nantettatte Engine.

It's a few days early so you can play it on the weekend here instead of a random surprise on Monday when you're not paying attention or at work. ;)

IMG

It's a goofy, free little high score game in the same style as Astrosmash, and those early 90s bitwar/PC war games where you're shooting whichever machine you aren't fanboying over.   

I remember playing one on Windows in the early 90s that was a Space Invaders clone that had you shooting Macintosh computers with X_X faces on them.   

It always made me laugh, so I'm happy we could finally do the same thing here.  I hope this reminds everyone of simpler times. 

The objective is simple.  Shoot everything.  If the Amiga Ball or Game and Watches hit the ground, you die immediately.   You can press I to move faster.

Also of note, I present to you Aetherbyte's new, long needed/overdue mascot, RomRom.

I had been milling over ideas for a real mascot instead of just having a frigging pillar logo for a long time now.  I always wanted something like Rolfee and could never quite pinpoint what I wanted.

The final idea for her and this game basically hit me all together the one day when I was riding a train in Japan.  It was strongly fueled and influenced by the record shop I was just at, and all of the candy I inhaled that day.

Her name's a play on Kyonkyon (Kyon2), arguably one of the most famous 80s JPop singers.  I brought her up in that one thread awhile back about the CD-ROMROM naming and all of that Japanese word math, and I chuckled to myself and went  'heheheeee', and that's basically how she got her name.  It seemed like a comical perfect fit.   

RomRom is essentially a combination of all of the kickass things about the 80s with some of my personal tastes sprinkled in.

You can expect to see more of her on the site, maybe on some pins/stickers or something, and probably in some other upcoming stuff we're doing.

It was fun keeping this under wraps, telling people I wasn't doing any PCE stuff.  Sometimes, while I was literally working on it.   Paul had posted a small snippet of her black and white face on FB, but I don't know that anyone suspected a thing.

Also,

We can't in good conscious release this on a physical card for money for various reasons, including the fact that I covered KyonKyon's Nantettatte Idol for this.... so just play it in an emulator or use a flashcart. 

CHRISTMAS IN OCTOBER:
^^^ This is the song, that's Kyonkyon.  Hell yeah.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

CrackTiger

Looks very cool. Can't wait to try it out. :D

Edit: WINNERS DON'T BUY PCEWORKS! =D>
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/28/2017, 05:58 PMEdit: WINNERS DON'T BUY PCEWORKS! =D>
I am so looking forward to people pissing and moaning about that brilliant splash screen. 

It's probably one of my better smart assed ideas, and thankfully we have Paul to doodle up and flesh it out properly.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

saturndual32

Cant wait to try it out. Thanks Arkhan!
By the way, what does Nantettatte mean?

Arkhan Asylum

It's hard to explain, but when you say it like nantettatte engine, it basically means "Do that and nothing but that no matter what."

So, do PC Engine 24/7/365/420yolo#360noscope

elmer

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/28/2017, 04:42 PMIn honor of the PC Engine's upcoming birthday, we present to you: Nantettatte Engine.
Woo hoo, thanks!  8)

Glad to see that you've not totally-abandoned the PCE for that measly MSX.  :wink:

Quote from: saturndual32 on 10/28/2017, 10:05 PMBy the way, what does Nantettatte mean?
Isn't it obvious???

"Nan tête-à-tête" is clearly Arkhan's mispronounced declaration of his secret habit of getting advice on his love life from his Grandmother.  :lol:

the haze

This is a lovely Sunday morning time waster!

The splash screen is the best part. Or maybe RomRom sitting on the car.  =D> =D> =D> :mrgreen:

ParanoiaDragon

Dang it, I want to try it right now, but I know I'll get sucked in & I don't have time for that!  Thanks a bunch Ark, you're wasting my time!?!  Seriously though, thanks Ark, you & Paul rock!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/29/2017, 01:14 AMDang it, I want to try it right now, but I know I'll get sucked in & I don't have time for that!  Thanks a bunch Ark, you're wasting my time!?!  Seriously though, thanks Ark, you & Paul rock!
I don't know how much time you really need.  It's just astrosmash, lol.

Pretty fun for a little time wasting diversion once in awhile, or just leave the title screen on because the music is dope.

MNKyDeth

I loved Astrosmash from the Intellivision.

Just grabbed this, can't wait to try it out!

Dicer

Astrosmash you say....

Thanks guys I needed a pick me up, and even though I can't play it on real hardware ATM, I'll still enjoy the hell out of it...

Edit: This is the only time I've enjoyed the PCE Shuttle.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Dicer on 10/29/2017, 11:22 AMEdit: This is the only time I've enjoyed the PCE Shuttle.
It seemed like the most obvious thing to put her in, lol.

Star Parodier fucked that one up real good.

ccovell

Love the art design, and it's a fun game too!

But! 

1) It is the 21st century, and there is no time for ROM headers on PCE games.  262144 bytes please.

2) Why would you preserve Mt. Fuji in a bubble?  Mountains have the worst terrain, hardest soil, and thus lowest capacity for sustaining human life.

:D

Oh, and I used that "Winners Don't..." idea in my Tongueman's Logic demo ver.  :D :D :D

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 10/29/2017, 09:22 PMIt is the 21st century, and there is no time for ROM headers on PCE games.  262144 bytes please.
yeah, things you forget at 10am.  I made a mental note to do that and forgot.

Does it really matter though? lol.  Plays fine in an emulator and on an Everdrive. 

EDIT: In any event I reuploaded it.   I think it's barfing back an cached version of the page/download, so it should probably wake up eventually with the new one.

QuoteWhy would you preserve Mt. Fuji in a bubble?  Mountains have the worst terrain, hardest soil, and thus lowest capacity for sustaining human life.
It's to sustain games and hardware, not people.   The people are on their own.

QuoteOh, and I used that "Winners Don't..." idea in my Tongueman's Logic demo ver.  :D :D :D
To slam PCEWorks? 

ccovell

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/29/2017, 10:29 PM
QuoteOh, and I used that "Winners Don't..." idea in my Tongueman's Logic demo ver.  :D :D :D
To slam PCEWorks? 
To criticize countries that wage war and torture their citizens, and those who are still happy to do business with them rather than shun them.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 10/29/2017, 11:09 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/29/2017, 10:29 PM
To slam PCEWorks? 
To criticize countries that wage war and torture their citizens, and those who are still happy to do business with them rather than shun them.
Show me?    I never played a lot of TML because I am not really big on Picross.    Definitely never seent it before.

Arkhan Asylum

OFFICIALLY THE PCES BIRTHDAY IN THIS REGION OF THE PLANET NOW YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DeshDildo

"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/29/2017, 01:47 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/29/2017, 01:14 AMDang it, I want to try it right now, but I know I'll get sucked in & I don't have time for that!  Thanks a bunch Ark, you're wasting my time!?!  Seriously though, thanks Ark, you & Paul rock!
I don't know how much time you really need.  It's just astrosmash, lol.

Pretty fun for a little time wasting diversion once in awhile, or just leave the title screen on because the music is dope.
True dat, I ended up firing it up for awhile!
IMG

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

ccovell

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/29/2017, 11:11 PMShow me?    I never played a lot of TML because I am not really big on Picross.    Definitely never seent it before.
I thought you would be resourceful enough to find it on your own.

On this page: https://www.chrismcovell.com/TMLogic.html, the demo was released in May 2006 (wow): https://www.chrismcovell.com/data/Tonguemans_Logic_DEMO.zip

IMG

NecroPhile

Cool, man, thanks!  I'm looking forward to giving this a spin when I get some time.

Kudos on the cute mascot girly.  Where do I sign up for pillowaifu version?  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 10/30/2017, 05:18 AMI thought you would be resourceful enough to find it on your own.
I grabbed and fired up the ROM, didnt see it by the time I got to the red swirly ball screen, and figured it was one of the puzzles I needed to solve to see.   

That or I inadvertently tapped a button and skipped the screen before seeing it? 

Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/30/2017, 11:19 AMCool, man, thanks!  I'm looking forward to giving this a spin when I get some time.

Kudos on the cute mascot girly.  Where do I sign up for pillowaifu version?  :mrgreen:
You can borrow my pillow when I'm done with it.

.... never.

maybe after Saber Rider never happens, I'll just make RomRom Rommer and The RomRom Roms instead.  :dance:

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 10/30/2017, 01:53 PMHaha, this is cute. :D Nice work, guys. :)
Im pretty happy with the car zooming to the shuttle.  lol    The sound effects are doofy

touko

blueraven

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: blueraven on 10/30/2017, 04:17 PMYES, FUCKING RAD. NICE JOB ARKHAN!!!!!
you gonna head up a fucking rad as balls high score contest for it.  you know you want it.

blueraven

This is what makes pcefx awesome. This is the real shit. The shit that happened.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: blueraven on 10/30/2017, 04:20 PMThe shit that happened.
where.  there's no high score thread yet.  IT DIDNT HAPPEN. FIX IT.

blueraven

Arkhan Asylum

spenoza

OK, seriously, Arkhan. You've managed to release 3 commercial homebrew games (not counting the stuff on the proto-card), one on homemade AbCard, and you've released 3 free games (I'm counting the Aetherbyte Christmas one). You are insane.

Also, I've decided I finally need to bite the bullet and buy Pyramid Plunder. Maybe over next summer at CCAG?

We shall see!

spenoza

Also trying to decide if I have any useful skills I could apply in my oh-so-minimal down time that would help you on whatever your next PCE project is...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2017, 04:46 PMOK, seriously, Arkhan. You've managed to release 3 commercial homebrew games (not counting the stuff on the proto-card), one on homemade AbCard, and you've released 3 free games (I'm counting the Aetherbyte Christmas one). You are insane.

Also, I've decided I finally need to bite the bullet and buy Pyramid Plunder. Maybe over next summer at CCAG?

We shall see!
The credit doesn't all go to myself, though.  Don't forget OldMan!  Pyramid Plunder wasn't possible without him. 

This is that thing I told you I was doing at CCAG that you shouldn't tell anyone else about, lol.

NOW PEOPLE KNOW.  THE SECRET IS OUT.

I've found I like doing these smaller, goofier games for fun.

They suck up less freetime, and are easier goals to obtain.

and still provide useful things for future projects.   

spenoza

Sorry OldMan! I didn't mean to neglect you! You're awesome, too!

That thing you told me about at CCAG is SO secret I only remember that you told me about it, not what it is (I think I convinced myself THIS was it).

I'd blame the kid and lack of sleep, but I was slightly an airhead before that, so...

SmokeMonster

Arkhan Asylum

I didn't really give any details other than "Yeah, I'm doing something"

I haven't forsaken PCE yet, despite the fact Facebook / Collectards / Profiteering newtards have really screwed this stuff up pretty bad lately.

When I said maybe this will remind people of simpler times, I was sort of alluding to that.

spenoza

Are people pirating/repackaging the homebrews, yet? God, I hope not...

blueraven

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2017, 05:00 PMAre people pirating/repackaging the homebrews, yet? God, I hope not...
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if there have been some downlow repros of Atlantean made and divvied out. 

I'd like to think people aren't shitty like that, but lately, I'm not too sure.

and yeah, I'd go full phoenix wright on that shit if it happened.

NecroPhile

It'd not be bad if they paid for the rom, but you're a right twat if you'll pay $50 (or whatever dumbass sum they fetch) for a boot but can't pony up a measly $10 for the game itself.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

I haven't seen any of Aetherbyte's stuff repro'd yet but of course, there's the commercial translations that have been done, and I saw Insanity on an iso site some time ago.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

I saw MSR on coinops and authorized a legit download for the project so they weren't spreading around the buggy first edition. A game good enough to pirate is good enough to buy, so I just saw it as a compliment.

Arkhan Asylum

I got Insanity taken down at least.   Dude was a tool at first until he realized I made the game...

I don't know that anyone would really waste money / resources on Nantettatte.   They shouldn't.   
I wouldn't.

It's just astrosmash.   Slap that bitch on an everdrive and enjoy it.

OldMan

QuoteThe credit doesn't all go to myself, though.  Don't forget OldMan!
Oh, you can has the credit. It's just nice to be thought of every now and then :)

QuoteThat thing you told me about at CCAG is SO secret ...
'Astrosmash' was the other half. Maybe someday what I wrote will see daylight, after Arkhan has a chance to polish it :)

It's kind of funny, though.  I'm more into figuring out how things work, with odd-ball small programs to test things. I very rarely get things finished....
Unless Arkhan pushes me to.

...speaking of that, Arkhan: did you get the artwork? Is paul gonna re-do it?
If/when I get a decent death animation, I'll move things along to the next step :)

QuoteI'd blame the kid and lack of sleep, but I was slightly an airhead before that, so....
Me too. Gets worse as I get older, too :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheOldMan on 10/30/2017, 09:34 PMOh, you can has the credit. It's just nice to be thought of every now and then :)
Lol, lets start calling you obey wan kenobey.

Quote'Astrosmash' was the other half.
It's funny that only what, 2 PCEFXers end up seeing this stuff in person while we're dicking off with it.

QuoteMaybe someday what I wrote will see daylight, after Arkhan has a chance to polish it :)
Let's German it instead.  lol. 

QuoteIt's kind of funny, though.  I'm more into figuring out how things work, with odd-ball small programs to test things. I very rarely get things finished....
Unless Arkhan pushes me to.
Yeah.    Those oddball programs have proven to be invaluable, though.    J and them were still shocked and confused that we started finishing stuff... lol

Quote...speaking of that, Arkhan: did you get the artwork? Is paul gonna re-do it?
If/when I get a decent death animation, I'll move things along to the next step :)
Yeah, maybe resend it.   AIM is special.   So special it's going away for everrrrr.

spenoza

Oh, I thought what I saw on that TurboExpress was unrelated. I want to see that polished up, though. I love that kind of thing.