10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

TurboRip v1.42: The PC Engine/TG-16 CD ISO/WAV/CUE Ripper [2019]!

Started by NightWolve, 04/19/2006, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Yeah, PayPal was obsessed with taking down the TurboRip Download page... They locked my account to bully me into it... They still allow the ImgBurn site to have a Donation PayPal which is far more powerful ripping software but are applying a different standard here because "game" CDs... The links in the software folder still work. I'll have to make another page on a new domain and rely on a universal /get.php?id=TurboRip link when I can work on this again...

Man though, dealing with PayPal was horrible... Humans masking their responses in automated form and hiding behind stubbornness. I agreed to remove the PayPal icon just for that page, but then the next troll changed the solution terms and demanded I remove it from everywhere... They initially accused me of selling it, kept telling them it's freeware... :/ Can't believe 10 years later we're going backwards on this issue of evil CD ripping software...

Psycho Punch

Paypal is an horrible company overall, can't believe companies like google or facebook or whatever haven't overtaken them by this point.

Ebay and international reach are the only reasons for them to still be popular, the latter could be done by megacorps easily and ebay would certainly add more payment methods if paypal stopped being the hottest (and only) payment processor...
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/20/2017, 07:40 PMPaypal is an horrible company overall, can't believe companies like google or facebook or whatever haven't overtaken them by this point.

Ebay and international reach are the only reasons for them to still be popular, the latter could be done by megacorps easily and ebay would certainly add more payment methods if paypal stopped being the hottest (and only) payment processor...
Venmo will soon put them out of business. None of my younger acquaintances bother with Paypal at all.

Keith Courage

I also own an original Dungeon master that is unknown to turborip. Does this matter? Can I just enter in my own name?

NightWolve

Can you open the TOC file and paste it here ? I thought I already added the TOC from someone unless you're using an old copy.

Anyway, yeah, you can name it whatever you want when the CD data isn't in its database and it prompts you. Also, make sure it's updated: https://www.ysutopia.net/software/TurboRip.zip

Keith Courage

Yep, I'm using the 1.41 version. TOC reads

Track 01 Audio 00:02:00 LBA=000000
Track 02 Data  00:45:09 LBA=003234
Track 03 Audio 01:30:05 LBA=006605
Track 04 Audio 04:20:66 LBA=019416
Track 05 Audio 05:50:74 LBA=026174
Track 06 Audio 07:04:14 LBA=031664
Track 07 Audio 07:39:64 LBA=034339
Track 08 Audio 10:42:56 LBA=048056
Track 09 Audio 13:33:70 LBA=060895
Track 10 Audio 15:06:27 LBA=067827
Track 11 Audio 17:00:74 LBA=076424
Track 12 Audio 19:30:61 LBA=087661
Track 13 Audio 22:34:54 LBA=101454
Track 14 Audio 24:17:13 LBA=109138
Track 15 Audio 24:50:39 LBA=111639
Track 16 Audio 27:56:70 LBA=125620
Track 17 Audio 30:16:40 LBA=136090
Track 18 Audio 37:30:01 LBA=168601
Track 19 Data  38:50:36 LBA=174636

Leadout: 39:31:33   LBA 177708

NightWolve

Hm, that was addressed when MNKyDeth brought it up, I'll have to verify the database update went through. Thanks.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1604.msg445608#msg445608

Keith Courage

Never mind, this was my mistake. I must have been using the 1.4 version and not 1.41 because all is good now. Fantastic program by the way!

Keith Courage

Think I might have found a bug with the game Cotton. Both the US version and JP version have a read error right at the end of the rip. I tested two disc drives with my PC and the same things happens.

Is the error anything to worry about? CD-r seems to still play fine.

Keith Courage

here is a screen shot. Seems to happen with my US cotton as well although the failed sectors are different. Just messes up at 99%.

IMG

Maybe both of the CD drives I tested are wonky? I've been ripping some other games to my pc without  any errors so far. Maybe there is something wrong with my discs even though they look great.

NightWolve

IMG

Ah, interesting, your drive couldn't read the final 11 sectors of the data track.

This highlights an improvement in TurboRip. I went through some trouble to code that Read Recovery Mode for trailing data sectors, it reads sectors 1 at a time when that happens (no 64KB burst read) and it'll tell you how many were just zeroed/nulled that can't be read.

I believe this is why old CDRWIN would make different sized BIN files on different computers, so the BIN would be 11 sectors smaller than from another drive/CD where 100% of the sectors could be read... TurboRip forces correct sizes of raw files based on TOC data and writes zeroes for these final sectors. I felt that important to get it right.

Anyway, long story short, the game data tracks have hundreds of padded sectors of garbage at the end. You'll never get the 100% CRC32 that those bin dump websites have to ensure an original disc with what you have. This happens but the game will work.

Note that this is the last backup data track too, not track 2, which only gets read if track 2 is scratched/unreadable, so another reason not to worry about it, it's ignored on normal working CDs.

Somebody else with another original copy and drive might be able to read that track 100% but for 11 trailing padded sectors, even if it was track 2, the game wouldn't have bugs from that. The last few hundred sectors are padded, unused garbage, as mentioned. That's just how NEC game data tracks were compiled and burned.

Keith Courage

good to know, thanks

By the way, just made myself a CD-R using the .ISO files from the US version with the .wav files from the Japanese version. The Japanese audio Dub syncs up perfectly with the english subtitles. It's pretty awesome.

CZroe

Did PayPal report this as a virus or something? Windows Defender kept blocking it. Maybe some incorrect flag in an industry database of undesirable software is what got it on their radar in the first place. TurboRip isn't BSA-friendly! ;)

NightWolve

Yeah, somebody reported that to me, you'll just have to add an exception. No clue how it happened, but can you be specific on the claim ? Does it provide a name for the threat or warning ??

I did get a zip file infected on my web server years ago for a tool that would extract all the Ys I Complete images because I didn't have anti-virus software installed. I can't see how that could've happened now, but I need the name of the alleged threat. Take a screenshot or whatever.

EDIT: OK, I downloaded both TurboRip files from https://www.ysutopia.net/software/, scanned them with Microsoft Edge internal scanner on my Windows 10 tablet, then ran MS Defender with custom scanner to extracted folder, no virus, no blocks, no problems. Full system scan no problems and it's a new Windows 10 build.

I see Defender has "warn" or "block" features for "unrecognized apps and files from the web." That could be the issue for some. Lemme know. Never hurts to do a full scan just to be safe.

Keith Courage

That happened to me with security essentials. I added an exception for the folder where I keep the program. security essentials would delete it so fast I could never read why it was deleting it. Nor could I go back into virus history to find out why either. Not a big deal. problem solved.

CZroe

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/07/2018, 08:07 AMThat happened to me with security essentials. I added an exception for the folder where I keep the program. security essentials would delete it so fast I could never read why it was deleting it. Nor could I go back into virus history to find out why either. Not a big deal. problem solved.
Same problem I had. I had to disable real-time protection because it would just delete it. Well, the notice I described earlier didn't name the supposed threat or even the filename it was talking about but did say "Click for more info." Clicking would just take me to Windows Defender where it would say everything is hunky-dory with no activity or threat log or prompt for action. Switching back to the folder I extracted Turbo-Rip to would reveal that it deleted my executable.

Grrrr...

Microsoft doesn't even conform to their own user interface and program design guidelines. It makes sense that they'd botch this.

NightWolve

** To Do Bug List **

1. /xbox option, filenames mismatched versus CUE file, simple fix. FIXED in latest version! Download again!

2. Fix: Leadout:LBA needed to differentiate close matches ( http://www.necstasy.net )
Report by: toaks

Quote from: toaks on 03/09/2018, 05:56 PMHey man. I went thru pretty much the entire PC Engine and TG-16 library with Turborip 1.41. This is a list of titles that were incorrectly identified, I believe the TOCs are identical or identical except for the leadout. Hopefully there will be a way to differentiate between them. I also included a few that are giving me errors, but I think they might be bad rips. Let me know if you need any more info.

Games that detected as US that are Jap. US versions are detected correctly. (TOCs are identical)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might and Magic III - Isles of Terra (J) - Detected as Might and Magic III - Isles of Terra (U)
CD Denjin Rockabilly Tengoku (J) - Detected as Super Air Zonk (U)
Monster Lair - Wonderboy III (J) - Detected as Monster Lair (U)
Fighting Street (J) - Detected as Fighting Street (U)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Games have same TOC) Some have slightly different leadouts, others are exactly identical
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FABT} Detected correctly
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FAAT} Detected as Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FABT}
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FACT} Detected as Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FABT}
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FAFT} Detected as Galaxy Fraulein Yuna {HRH310827-3FABT}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Armageddon {BRCD0001-6-0625-R1F} Detected as Last Armageddon {BRCD0001-6-0625-R3D} (J)
Last Armageddon {BRCD0001-6-0625-R3D} Detected correctly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM70217-4FAAT} Detected as Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FAAT} (J)
Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM70414-1FAAT} Detected as Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FAAT} (J)   
Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM70414-1FABT} Detected as Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FAAT} (J)   
Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM70701-2FAAT} Detected as Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FAAT} (J)
Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FAAT} Detected correctly   
Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FABT} Detected as Tokimeki Memorial {HRKM71014-3FAAT} (J)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't recognized (Illegal mode for this track)(Track 2)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hawk F-123 (J) - I think the Data track 2 is corrupt. I have a different rip that works now.
Neo Nectaris (J)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't recognized (Illegal mode for this track)(Track 1)
AV Tanjou (J) - Possibly corrupt. Different rip works

Read Error: Failure (Track 2)
Wizardry III & IV (J)

toaks

That will fix most of them, but some are exact matches including the leadout. Maybe it would be possible to list all matching toc's and then the user could indicate which one they are ripping?

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

pceslayer

So im awaiting my Super SD System 3 from terraonion and started to re-dump my collection using turborip.

Do you recommend using the /normalize option to get a boost in the audio levels? Or should I just leave it alone? How aggressive is the boost?

NightWolve

Quick answer: It's 100% non-clipping/non-destructive. Just a basic, max preamp boost with 100% wave preservation.

Normalize is good for Ys IV tracks that are REALLY low preamp-wise when you wanna rip tracks for playing in an audio system! I learned about this problem years ago and consulted with Justus Johnston which led to adding /normalize...

Not sure I would use it for making CD-Rs to play on your NEC console but you can see how it works. Mainly when you want MP3s for your music playlist to listen on-the-go.

If you're willing to experiment because the background music seems too low, you can, I guess, but that wasn't the thinking behind it as we're changing preamp volume levels from what the developers expected. You'll affect balance between PSG sound effect volume obviously.

But yea, some CDs are recorded with preamp volume levels stupidly low and if you rip tracks raw, you'll have to fully blast your audio receiver system to enjoy them as I found with Ys tracks!

I used /normalize for my Ys MP3 tracks here for example:

https://www.ysutopia.net/audio/
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/audio/