RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Son Son II - in western magazines

Started by SGX Engine, 02/06/2018, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGX Engine

CVG - June 1989

IMG

The Games Machine - August 1989

IMG

Super Gaming - Summer 1991

IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

CVG was like the Euro version of VG&CE right?  I wonder if I could find something about Son Son II in my Video Games & Computer Entertainment mags.  ;)

Thanks!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SavagePencil

I had never put the connection together between Son Son and Black Tiger.  That's an interesting thought.

SGX Engine

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/06/2018, 11:05 AMCVG was like the Euro version of VG&CE right?
Not exactly, no.

QuoteI wonder if I could find something about Son Son II in my Video Games & Computer Entertainment mags.  ;)

Thanks!!
I'll look to see if Video Games & Computer Entertainment has any coverage.

EGM mentioned "Son Son 2" in their second full issue.

IMG

I'd like to check if the Fall 1991 issue of Super Gaming had a review, but can't find any scans of it.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: SGX Engine on 02/06/2018, 12:40 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/06/2018, 11:05 AMCVG was like the Euro version of VG&CE right?
Not exactly, no.
Really? huh.  The fonts and the covers always looked so similar. The more you know!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

exodus

why did two UK magazines review this game two years apart? and they sure like using the word "oriental" don't they

CrackTiger

Quote from: exodus on 02/08/2018, 06:33 PMwhy did two UK magazines review this game two years apart? and they sure like using the word "oriental" don't they
The people in various forums who go overboard to justify their use of the offense term banned here tend to identify as being from Europe, but usually the U.K. The line I see the most is "my buddy knows one who doesn't mind being called that, so it's okay". Often at other times, the same people take offense to generalizations made about people from their own country.

In the end, they make the opposite of their original argument, that it's not worth getting worked up over. It is a big deal... that they continue to type out three letters instead of five.

Basically asking "Please just don't be an asshole" is taken as an unreasonable request by some people.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ccovell

The U.K. in the '80s/'90s still was OK with saying "oriental" and "J*p".

And Super Gaming, good as it was, wasn't a preview of new games coming out in Japan, more like a "here's what we bought on our last Japan junket."  Hence the 1989 game featured in 1991.

P.S. Super Gaming was an offshoot by the writers of EGM, an American magazine.

NecroPhile

Thanks for the Son Son scans.  Good reads.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/08/2018, 07:40 PMBasically asking "Please just don't be an asshole" is taken as an unreasonable request by some people.
This is about me, isn't it.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

The strange thing about the use of oriental there is that it came after the use of Japanese (although referring to the language)  I think it just may be a reflection of the time from that part of the world.

Still - awesome scans.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Psycho Punch

Hey, "oriental" is a bad word now? That's new to me.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

gilbert

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2018, 11:45 AMHey, "oriental" is a bad word now? That's new to me.
I never know this either. Does this mean many brand names, such as certain hotel names, are offensive now?

NecroPhile

I demand that Occidental College change its name.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

dshadoff

Quote from: gilbert on 02/09/2018, 12:13 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/09/2018, 11:45 AMHey, "oriental" is a bad word now? That's new to me.
I never know this either. Does this mean many brand names, such as certain hotel names, are offensive now?
I had never heard this either.
I am aware that many people prefer the word "Asian" nowadays, but that term is inclusive of the peoples of the Indian subcontinent as well (so as a descriptive term, the word is far more vague).

ParanoiaDragon

Oriental has been considered semi-offensive here(Southern Cali) for maybe around 20 years I'd guess.  That is, unless you're talking about Oriental culture, or an Oriental rug.  There might be other instances where it's ok to use the word, but I can't think of them at the moment.  But calling someone specifically Oriental instead of Asian has been a general no-no in my area.
IMG

Purple1308

Quote from: SGX Engine on 02/06/2018, 12:40 PM
Quote from: _joshuaTurbo on 02/06/2018, 11:05 AMCVG was like the Euro version of VG&CE right?
Not exactly, no.

QuoteI wonder if I could find something about Son Son II in my Video Games & Computer Entertainment mags.  ;)

Thanks!!
I'll look to see if Video Games & Computer Entertainment has any coverage.

EGM mentioned "Son Son 2" in their second full issue.

IMG

I'd like to check if the Fall 1991 issue of Super Gaming had a review, but can't find any scans of it.
I own that controller it has a horriable d pad and the turbo switchs are in a weird location

seieienbu

As I understood it, the orient was mostly referring to Eastern Asian countries.  When I was a kid it wasn't considered any deal at all to refer to someone from China, Korea, Japan, etc as Oriental.  Later on I was informed that oriental can refer to food, things, places, but not people; it is offensive to use it in that manner. 

Maybe it wasn't offensive when I was a kid but as people find it offensive now I don't use the term outside of referring to stuff.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CrackTiger

"Oriental" has been considered out-of-date or offensive since at least my early teens and that's likely only the age that I clued in. But it wasn't that I grew up in an oversensitive progressive community, just the opposite. It's regularly come up in news and entertainment since at least that time.
Like many insensitive language terms or concepts, you can rationalize outside of context like history, how something shouldn't be offensive. But many things (like swastikas) just happened to be tied to negative events, trends, misc for a lot of people. In most cases it comes from a many people using something intentionally to slight people for a long time and not simply a new generation of overly sensitive snowflakes looking for out of date terms.

I'm not overly sensitive and don't get offended or worked up over a lot of "politically incorrect" stuff and I really don't like the trend of young people coopting things like gender or sexuality identity for attention. I think that's the most offensive thing you can do to the actual minority of people dealing with things like that for real.

So although I don't think that many things should be offensive, in most cases it really is no big deal to not say something that affects many people negatively. It's no different than all the ways we've subconciously learned how to avoid being rude, just from living in society. Except that it's something you are concious of.

Like in Eddie Murphy Delirious when he said that racism levels have improved, since people don't call him that word anymore. But maybe they only wait for him to leave the room.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

gilbert

Well. That's odd. Maybe the word is considered offensive in the west (and to Asians living in the west). For Asians living in, errr...  Asia we don't really care (or, probably, don't know about any implications).

cccmar

Possibly it's kinda like Eastern Europeans using 'negr' (sounds rather similar to one particular word in English) to address black people, because calling somebody straight-up black there is much more offensive, for historic reasons, and of course Afro-American doesn't apply geographically either. In other words, such terms are based on socio-cultural factors and the local history.
I've rarely ever heard Oriental used these days in Ireland, but there was a time when it could be heard pretty much constantly, both IRL and in the news, so there could be something to that.

nopepper

Although thankfully I dont recollect ever using the term towards Asians, it's also news to me that Oriental is derogatory in that context. I moved to CO in 99 (from Puerto Rico) and had never heard anyone point this out either, but there is not as big an Asian population here as in the CA and Pacific Northwest.

With the growing number of words that are added to the nonPC list, I wouldn't be surprised if soon we will all be using a form of newspeak, for chrissakes.

OldMan

QuoteWith the growing number of words that are added to the nonPC list, I wouldn't be surprised if soon we will all be using a form of newspeak, for chrissakes.
++good

soop

As far as I remember, in the 90's the three latter version was never seen as offensive.  At a guess, I'd say it was probably due to the UK never being directly involved in hostilities with Japan the same way the USA was.  For us, it was literally just a convenient three letter shortening you'd see in a column on black market import pages.  I was surprised in the mid-2000's when I was told it was offensive (on a forum obvs).  And the only time I've heard anyone use the term "Orientals" was an autistic fellow I had an aquaintence with.

Mind you, we have our own offensive terms.  the term "Chinky" get's banded about very casually sometimes, and I can feel my cheeks flush with embarrassment :(
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

turboswimbz

Quote from: soop on 02/12/2018, 08:42 AMprobably due to the UK never being directly involved in hostilities with Japan the same way the USA was.  For us, it was literally just a convenient three letter shortening you'd see in a column on black market import pages.
I get Jap may not have been considered particularly racist, but neither were a lot of once accepted words, societies change and so do the pressures of polite conversation.  I don't buy this for one second.  Just because I say something offensive and is just convenient doesn't mean it isn't hurtful towards people, or was originally used in such a way.

I'd like to point out that counter to your argument:
The battles of Singapore and Hong Kong are quite relevant. (Both were under British control at the time, and contained British Military bases/fleets)
Further, the UK was heavily involved in most of the Pacific naval theater.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

JAPJAC

JAPJAC`s TFP Fanitsu Capcom Power System CHANGER Definitive Resource is the first extensive and only competent expose in English on-line is here!:

(Under the TFP Features section): japjac.proboards.com
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg