RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Hey it's Lent

Started by xcrement5x, 02/15/2018, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

So Lent started yesterday and runs until Thursday, March 29.

Anyone here observe, traditional or otherwise?  I know there has been an upward trend of people doing "secular lent" and giving up various things for the period.  I guess Twitter is the most popular thing for people to give up for Lent this year. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

hoobs88

Doesn't Lent run until Easter?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Galad

Where did you get March 29 from?

NecroPhile

Xele is a good Catholic.  Lent ends on Holy Thursday with the Mass of the Last Supper.

I don't do anything for lent.  I don't really have any luxuries or vices that I could give up that would really be a sacrifice.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

im gonna lent my foot in someones ass
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

I'm giving up gamehuggers for lent. Can't wait until April!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

xcrement5x

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/15/2018, 02:27 PMI'm giving up gamehuggers for lent. Can't wait until April!!
Goddamnint Josh, you can't give up something you've already given up. 

And I'm actually not a good Catholic (is anyone really?), I got the date from Google because most of the time it knows more than me. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

crazydean

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/15/2018, 01:51 PMXele is a good Catholic.  Lent ends on Holy Thursday with the Mass of the Last Supper.

I don't do anything for lent.  I don't really have any luxuries or vices that I could give up that would really be a sacrifice.
What about PC Engine?

NecroPhile

I wouldn't want to give it up, but it wouldn't be that much of a sacrifice for only 40 days.  Harder would be to give up gaming altogether.

TheClash603

I just do the no meat on ash Wednesday and for all Fridays through lent.  I'm not a church going type, but being born and raised in a predominantly Roman Catholic city has rubbed off on me this much.

...Plus it makes my mom proud of me, for once.

ToyMachine78

NecroPhile

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/15/2018, 06:35 PMI just do the no meat on ash Wednesday and for all Fridays through lent.  I'm not a church going type, but being born and raised in a predominantly Roman Catholic city has rubbed off on me this much.
Priests rubbed off on a lot of boys over the years.

majors

Quote from: guest on 02/15/2018, 02:36 PMAnd I'm actually not a good Catholic (is anyone really?)
Typical Catholic. My fam are much more religious, but I'm the fallen one as I'm told. Last mass I attended was prolly when my cousin got married 5-6 years ago...I've been to my girls' Episcopalian more recently, but as my fam tells me, "that does not count".

So, No. I'm not doing shit for lent.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

LostFlunky

I am thinking about giving up my dumb lent joke...

"I'm giving up lent!"

Nah...

esteban

I gave up pcefx for Lent.

I blame the devil for this horrid affair with FacialBook and InstaShite.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 04/15/2018, 09:48 AMI gave up pcefx for Lent.

I blame the devil for this horrid affair with FacialBook and InstaShite.
Just to give credit where credit is due, "FacialBook" was sparky's joke comrade. I know you heard it from me first and took a liking to it, but I should not let you continue to think I was responsible for that creativity. ;)

xcrement5x

I made it through my Lent abstinence but probably didn't get that much out of it.  Didn't even go to church for Easter, but I made it last week.

My daughter loves church because she has somehow associated it with the donuts afterwards.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 11:27 PMI made it through my Lent abstinence but probably didn't get that much out of it.  Didn't even go to church for Easter, but I made it last week.

My daughter loves church because she has somehow associated it with the donuts afterwards.
Let me be the first atheist to admit that I would go to church if I was guaranteed donuts and coffee.

Amen.

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 04/18/2018, 12:24 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/17/2018, 11:27 PMI made it through my Lent abstinence but probably didn't get that much out of it.  Didn't even go to church for Easter, but I made it last week.

Let me be the first atheist to admit that I would go to church if I was guaranteed donuts and coffee.

Amen.
The churches I went to as a kid always had free coffee and sometimes donuts!

I have been to a few that actually sell coffee...that's a little too close to business in a house of worship to me. I'm not personally offended, but it's quite hypocritical.

NecroPhile

Some friends go to a church with two hour services with a half hour "intermission" for coffee and donuts right in the middle.  I love me some donuts, but damn... two hours?!?

Still, I almost feel cheated only getting a little cracker.  :mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/18/2018, 12:37 PMSome friends go to a church with two hour services with a half hour "intermission" for coffee and donuts right in the middle.  I love me some donuts, but damn... two hours?!?

Pour some Velveeta on that cracker and

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/18/2018, 12:37 PMSome friends go to a church with two hour services with a half hour "intermission" for coffee and donuts right in the middle.  I love me some donuts, but damn... two hours?!?

Churches have come a long way. These days its commonplace for them to prominently feature same-sex couple make out tents right next to the smoking section.

God bless America.

<3
IMG

wildfruit

I agnostically abstain from abstaining. Though my dad only had fish on Friday growing up and when I was younger I did go church occasionally. Not too regularly but I went to a church school so it was like going every day.

soop

Fun fact: back in the day, the church declared that beavers were fish.  The reason?  So the pope could eat beavers on the sabbath.  No innuendo intended.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

NightWolve

Quote from: soop on 04/18/2018, 06:30 PMFun fact: back in the day, the church declared that beavers were fish.  The reason?  So the pope could eat beavers on the sabbath.  No innuendo intended.
:lol:

So that was true, ha! I thought your denial of innuendo was sarcasm!