10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

TurboFont

Started by 2X4, 06/10/2007, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2X4

After extensive searching, I was unable to find the font used for the TG-16 logo and product packaging.  So I decided to recreate it myself.  I have a lot of letterforms completed already, but I could use a little help if anyone's game.  I am sure a lot of people find the font ugly, but it is part of the Turbo's identity, and I would really appreciate any assistance you guys could provide.  What I'm after are high res scans of letters in this font, preferably black text on white, but I'll take what I can get.  More obvious places to get these are game and accessory packaging and manuals, but if you know of other sources, please use them as well.  I especially need lowercase letterforms, as well as any punctuation and odd capitol letters such as N, K, Q, W, M, etc.  Thank you in advance, I am anxious to see what you guys can come up with!

2019 Update:
IMG
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Keranu

I could help you, but not sure how well I could pull it off. Check out my site LaZer Dorks for examples of edited fonts I've made in the banners taken from various games. I think the best thing you could do for lower case letters is to just use the standard capital letters, except shrink them.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

MrFulci

2X4,

If you can point me in the direction of something that may contain the font you are lookign for, I can scan it at a large dpi, and send you tif files.

I have the black and white, "Thank you" card from the TG-16 box. I think that is all typed in that same font. It's white text on black. It contains a lot of letters, hahaha. I'll post a sample pic up here in a moment to see if that's what you're looking for.

*edit

I dug out the system box. There are 5 lineson the 'Thank You' card, upper and lower case. The system box also features some of this font, however it is smaller and black on white. Let me know if you want this card scanned
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

2X4

Thanks guys.

Mr. Fulci, the font is mainly found on game and accessory boxes, though I think it shows up on manuals here and there.  If the thank you card has the font and you're willing to scan it, that would be great, especially if it's in black and white.  There is another font that they use a lot in body text, that font looks similar at first glance, but it's actually just Univers 49 light ultra condensed.  The font I want is used in the TurboGrafx logo, and it is used a lot for game titles on the earlier game covers and turbochips, like Kieth Courage for example.  If that's the font they used, I would be in your debt if you could provide a scan, preferrably at least 300 dpi or higher and in an uncompressed or losslessly compressed format.

Unfortunately I don't have much to work with.  Although I love this system, I have only ever had six games for it and I don't have much else to go by.

MrFulci

2X4,

PM me as to where I can send a large file to you, either direct transfer, or into an e-mail box. If .tif is too large for you, I can make it a high quality jpg so it is not quite as large.

It appears to be the same font you are looking for.

Also, what is this font being used for?
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

2X4

Thanks to Mr. Fulci I have a few more letterforms, but I still need some, especially lowercase letters, punctuation, and uppercase M, Q, V, W and Z.  If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it!

2X4

I know this is way old.  I'm paying a very talented professional font designer (friend price) to resurrect this font.  I would like to re-ask anyone who had games, manuals, accessories etc. to please send me some hi res scans or links to any resource that would be useful in securing hi res font samples to bring this back with 100% accuracy.  It would be available within a couple months once all the resources are gathered.  Again, old turbochips -- anything.  Especially lowercase and punctuation. There will be some bonuses in special characters so if you have a suggestion for those let me know.  Thanks guys and gals.

2X4

For anyone who may be interested the font is basically done.  All the letters and normal punctuation are done and all that is left is the special characters.

IMG

NightWolve

Boy oh boy, I sure can't wait to see 2x4 finally come through on this font after so many years, now that's some dedication! Even remembered his 11 year old thread here to resurrect!

I think all he was asking for is something like comrade esteban's tg-16 archive project full of scans galore: https://archives.tg-16.com

Anyway, don't disappoint 2x4, let's see watcha got when it's finally ready, 11 years in the making! ;)

Emerald Rocker

This would be pretty awesome.  Looking forward to it!
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

exodus

woooo! do you know what the usage rights will be?

2X4

I apologize for the delay.  I have good news: all actual letterforms and punctuation are complete.  The font designer is reluctantly finishing up some "unlockable" easter eggs (I figured a video game font wouldn't be complete without a cheatcode element). Although they are  no doubt a pain in his ass, I can assure you he will complete them within the coming months.

The usage will be, well, free for you guys of course. I will probably release it for free use, but I don't know much about font platforms and what cost may be involved with that.  I'll update you on that aspect of it in the coming release.  I have also discussed variants and spinoff fonts with the designer in the near future.  If any of you guys have input on that I would love to hear you weigh in.  Thanks for your patience!  This is happening!

NightWolve

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: I never believed this was anything but trollin',  :rollin, but 2x4 did PM me a sample test.

Quote from: 2X4 on 01/02/2019, 01:22 PMNightWolve, I'm such an ass, I didn't know these PMs were piling up!! So to answer your questions,  I have only given this font designer/ friend a few hundred bucks.  It's practically nothing but,  I always wanted to have the font.  I was excited about the idea of being able to recreate box art, label art,  manuals,  chip labels -- digitally and/or physically -- with total accuracy.  I think it's awesome when people here recreate physical aspects of things. I just wanted to make a contribution to that. Thanks for the support and for making some major contributions yourself over the years!
Quote from: NightWolve on 01/02/2019, 02:00 PMHeh, to be honest, I haven't believed you at all, haha!

I thought this was all weird trolling on your part... :lol:

Nah, s'all good, no need to send me anything. I'll check it out if you ever finish.
Quote from: 2X4 on 01/02/2019, 08:00 PMTrolling!! That hurts Nightwolve, but I suppose you have your reasons.  Just finishing up 3 or 4 "special characters" to gild the lily.  Here's an appetizer...  don't know how to embed images on this...
IMG
IMG
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AMVlqIVefJJ7YwzgBXhlFRz09LhTnz77/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J_6dIYPYar5ZbQcfDY932Yw1wHg708dL/view