Third party TG16 pad, has anyone tried it?

Started by DragonmasterDan, 01/01/2019, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

hoobs88

Haven't tried it but I think it is cool that it comes with an adapter for Duo/PC Engine.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

NightWolve

IMG

I looked at it, wondered why they defaulted to the TG-16 connector, but then saw the adapter cable from TG-16-to-Duo and thought, "Oh good, smart!"

IMG

If it works and feels close to the original, then great. I'm wary of knock-offs though after the experience with SNES pads until I bought an 8bitdo SNES30 which really comes close to the feel of an original pad only with much better features!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/09/2019, 05:41 PMIf it works and feels close to the original, then great. I'm wary of knock-offs though after the experience with SNES pads until I bought an 8bitdo SNES30 which really comes close to the feel of an original pad only with much better features!
Most modern aftermarket third party controllers are cheap crap made with shortcuts taken throughout the entire process. I'm hoping this is a quality product as a TG16 pad with a convertor cable is no longer nearly as inexpensive as it was just a few years ago.
--DragonmasterDan

ginoscope

I'm tempted to get one for my kids.  They are at the age where they are decent bomberman and dungeon explorer partners and they always tend to drop my controllers.  I do like the idea of including the PC Engine adapter.

NightWolve

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/10/2019, 07:59 AMMost modern aftermarket third party controllers are cheap crap made with shortcuts taken throughout the entire process. I'm hoping this is a quality product as a TG16 pad with a convertor cable is no longer nearly as inexpensive as it was just a few years ago.
Yeah, I have a whole drawer of USB PlayStation knockoff PC gamepads, nothing came close to the originals, but maybe it was my fault for settling at a $19.99 pricepoint when I saw one...

The 8bitdo SNES30 really is the best unlicensed counterfeit I ever bought - the weight, the texture, the concave/convex buttons between top/bottom rows, all match the original SNES pads. Feels weird for the first time to get a console "feel" with my Windows PC box, I can play a game so much better (until my thumb pinched nerves kick up, that is)...

One thing, I did buy a $4 SNES knockoff that let me fix my original SNES pad that broke, the Left side button just stopped working one day, the IC/chip just died as there was no physical damage. So I bought a $4 knockoff from a Chinese seller for parts, soldered out the chip from that and actually fixed my original! Hard to believe that it worked, but I pulled it off.

Anyway, my TurboDuo pad works, I even went to the trouble of soldering an extension wire years ago when I was more active. It's cool to see new pads still being manufactured for others if needed. Definitely would be nice to see maintenance packs with just the rubber/foamy material for the buttons and d-pad to swap it out if control/contact is not as good anymore from wear (I'm sure that's already available, just never looked).

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/10/2019, 12:42 PMYeah, I have a whole drawer of USB PlayStation knockoff PC gamepads, nothing came close to the originals, but maybe it was my fault for settling at a $19.99 pricepoint when I saw one...

The 8bitdo SNES30 really is the best unlicensed counterfeit I ever bought - the weight, the texture, the concave/convex buttons between top/bottom rows, all match the original SNES pads. Feels weird for the first time to get a console "feel" with my Windows PC box, I can play a game so much better (until my thumb pinched nerves kick up, that is)...

One thing, I did buy a $4 SNES knockoff that let me fix my original SNES pad that broke, the Left side button just stopped working one day, the IC/chip just died as there was no physical damage. So I bought a $4 knockoff from a Chinese seller for parts, soldered out the chip from that and actually fixed my original! Hard to believe that it worked, but I pulled it off.

Anyway, my TurboDuo pad works, I even went to the trouble of soldering an extension wire years ago when I was more active. It's cool to see new pads still being manufactured for others if needed. Definitely would be nice to see maintenance packs with just the rubber/foamy material for the buttons and d-pad to swap it out if control/contact is not as good anymore from wear (I'm sure that's already available, just never looked).
I've seen aftermarket pads with the magnets affixed to the back of buttons or the d-pad to replace the rubber insert that makes contact with the board. So you have a much less responsive controller. These kinds of corner cuts are common. That's not to say ALL aftermarket controllers are bad, but most are made as inexpensively as possible. I've seen brand new Genesis after market pads with plastic as soft as a fast food drink cup and frayed wires coming out of the shell.
--DragonmasterDan

dshadoff

I wish somebody would make a good wireless aftermarket adapter for the PCE/Turbo.
Something like the Gamecube wireless, or the 8BitDo Retro Receivers...

hoobs88

Quote from: dshadoff on 01/10/2019, 01:46 PMI wish somebody would make a good wireless aftermarket adapter for the PCE/Turbo.
Something like the Gamecube wireless, or the 8BitDo Retro Receivers...
I have an adapter so I can use a PS2 controller on the Duo. I never tried using a cordless PS2 controller with it but it seems like it should work.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

BigusSchmuck

$30 still is a bit steep, but I guess its worth it for the adapter. I still have my turbo to duo adapter I got from TZD back in the 90s.