@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

I've been playing Mysterious Song! :D Well, working on it, squashing bugs and adding new features too. Closing in on 100% game engine completion...still at 99% as of right now.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

nat

The one bug that would make me really, really happy to see dispatched is the snowy fade-out bug.

termis

Beat Valis IV, finally finishing off all 4 of in the series.

Man, I'm awesome.  (It only took 4 months of on-and-off playing  :|)

OldRover

Quote from: nat on 05/04/2008, 11:30 PMThe one bug that would make me really, really happy to see dispatched is the snowy fade-out bug.
It's been identified and is being worked out as we speak. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

nat

Quote from: termis on 05/05/2008, 01:56 AMBeat Valis IV, finally finishing off all 4 of in the series.

Which one did you like best? Or can we expect an entire series review?

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Gain Ground SX, Double Dragon II, Fray, Kiadan 00 (sp?)

Gain Ground is even more fun than I remembered it to be, plus it has excellent music that really fits each stage.

I don't know what to think of Fray (piece of crap or easy joyride?), and Kiadan 00 seems like it might have potential, even though it initially doesn't grab you by the balls, so to speak.

Double Dragon II -- just confirming that the music complements each stage. It does.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

termis

Quote from: nat on 05/05/2008, 10:51 AM
Quote from: termis on 05/05/2008, 01:56 AMBeat Valis IV, finally finishing off all 4 of in the series.

Which one did you like best? Or can we expect an entire series review?
Part IV - and yup, a review:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5167.0

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sinistron

Finally got Exile II rolling after receiving my Tennokoe card- I'm actually pretty far into it- level six- the second Baghdad stage.  I heard a whole lot about this US version's difficulty- so far I can't say that I see it.  I heard that you needed to be practically leveled all the way up to beat the second boss- Crully.  Well- I did have to level up quite a bit- but not to the second to last level like I heard.  Leveling up doesn't take as long as I feared either- it actually moves along pretty quick.  Now- on the sixth stage- I believe I'm at the penultimate level- at least judging by the power bar.  Using tonics and changing your characters up mid boss fights (especially for the mummy and sword boss) is quite important too. 

Overall I dig it. It has some things better than Exile I- some things worse.  As Runin mentioned- it's more linear- that isn't an improvement.  The hit detection is spotty.  Also the overworld graphics seem less impressive.  There is some really excellent music- one song in particular impressed me where it sounded like bagpipes- which could very well have been out of place in a board that looked to be inside of a pyramid- but somehow it worked beautifully.  The fighting stages have some impressive graphics with some nice parallex in some levels- and lastly being able to choose from five different characters is really nice.  I especially like to use the character Lawrence (though where I'm at now he's separated from the rest of the bunch and just got his ass beat by some giant heart looking thing) with his giant axe. 

I'll say it's not as good as Exile I- but judged on its own merits it's a solid game- leagues better than Valis II  :D.  I hope to finish it this week- the part I'm at now is pretty tricky with these giant bat bastards and lightning spitting dragons- but I get further each time I try.  A fun game.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

termis

Started a (another) wacky JP-only RPG: Aurora Quest: Otaku no Seiza in Another World

So far, it's actually not bad.  Clean graphics, nice cinemas, decent tunes, stupid humor, and lot of WTF? moments you'd expect in a game like this.

nat

Pack-in Video!

That game actually looks pretty good.

GohanX

I've been stuck in a hotel in Arizona, and I forgot to pack the controller for the emulator-filled laptop. My only friend is my Turbo Express (and my DS, but I haven't even turned it on.)

I've mostly been playing Parodius, although I'm not nearly as good as I used to be.  I've also dabbled a bit in Shinobi, Blazing Lazers, and I played Parasol Stars for the first time ever.  I don't really understand what the heck is going on in that game yet, but it's pretty fun.

I'm actually looking forward to the 4 hour plane ride home now  :)

Sinistron

Just beat Exile II- this time the Djinn boss didn't touch me- gave him a sound beating.  The final boss- that heart-on-a-wall guy- I wasn't expecting to be such a joke- that was pretty bad- like Mother Brain in the Gradius games- and what's up with the burp at the very end of the game?  Some dude burps and says something like "well that was silly" and then a chick laughs.  Felt like a giant middle finger- like "this game sucks- you wasted your time now here's your prize".  It didn't suck- it was okay- but pales next to Exile I.  I also didn't get much playtime out of it- first night I played it once- second night I got to what I didn't realize was the final board- and tonight the third night playing it I'm through it.  I remember getting much more playtime out of Exile I.  Again though it was okay.  Some good music in there.
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

m3killer

bonk 1,2 and 3 there great games =]

OceanBlueKirby

I'll be playing Dungeon Explorer for a while longer. I've beaten the game with the Fighter character yesterday, but I wish to obtain the level passwords for as many of the characters as desired (if not all of them). I'm currently using the Warlock character, and today I've gotten up to Level 3 with him. It's...slowly creeping up to be one of my favorite games, actually :P.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Sinistron

There you go Kirby!  =D>

Played a whole bunch of shit today and just got done busting up Photo Boy for the umpteenth time.  Forgot that Hani and that weird looking boss from Doraemon/Cratermaze are in the museum board- who are these guys?  I'm assuming they're from some Japanese folklore or something as Hani and this guy are in games from Irem, Hudson and Face (and maybe others?)...

Got to play more Hanata Kadaka today too- Everyone needs this game- one of the most impressive hucards.
IMG

NecroPhile

Playing Exile, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, Dead Moon, and a bit of Tokimeki Memorial.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

handygrafx

Sinistron

Not much of a task- but I beat that Future Boy Conan game last night.  Some real good cutscene stuff there between each level (6 levels), and some truly great music (for my tastes)- but the game- aside from one or two tricky jumping bits- is pretty nonexistent.  Though I've never seen any of the Future Boy Conan episodes- I'm a Miyazaki fan so this was worth me picking up- even though the game is subpar.
IMG

Arjak

I'm in the middle of:

-Cosmic Fantasy 2 - Ugh, it took me several tries just to get to the point where Laura is captured. Those monsters are tough! The opening battles are ridiculous, and the fact that all this ends with a bittersweet ending only makes it worse. The fact that-SPOILER ALERT!-Laura dies at the end-END SPOILER-should be on a top ten list of "That's Not Fair!" moments in video game history.

-Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes (Postponed)

Also, my little sister just so happens to be really good at Ys Book I & II! She is at the Noltia Glacier, but is taking a break.

I also just finished Last Alert. The voice acting actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, there are definitely a few 'WTF?' moments.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

CosMind

blazing lazers (again...  jeez, i'm not sure if i'll ever stop going back to this game)

M1Savage

Just completed Zero 4 Champ. Also been playing Soldier Blade, Zero 4 Champ 2, Racing Spirits, Lords of Thunder and F1 Triple Battle.

Sinistron

Quote from: m1savage on 05/14/2008, 10:16 PMJust completed Zero 4 Champ. Also been playing Soldier Blade, Zero 4 Champ 2, Racing Spirits, Lords of Thunder and F1 Triple Battle.
Hey man how is F1 Triple Battle?  Been seriously considering picking that one up.  Does it play nearly as good as Final Lap Twin?
IMG

M1Savage

Well, it's got some really interesting options as far as different types of steering and such. I actually like almost all the PC Engine racing games so it's hard for me to say it's better or worse then Final Lap Twin.  8-[  I think you can pick it up fairly cheap so if you like these types of games I say give it a shot. Get Racing Spirits too if you don't already have it.

TR0N

Sylphia and Legend of Hero Tonma  :mrgreen:

I'll say i wasn't expecting to get (sylphia) any time soon but a member hook me up on a copy for a good price.

Like most shooters by compile starts out easy,but by halfway through the game it get's tough.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Turbo D

playing LoT right now. Just hooked up a newly acquired stereo system. LoT sounds bitchin' through it too!  8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Sinistron

Quote from: m1savage on 05/14/2008, 11:11 PMWell, it's got some really interesting options as far as different types of steering and such. I actually like almost all the PC Engine racing games so it's hard for me to say it's better or worse then Final Lap Twin.  8-[  I think you can pick it up fairly cheap so if you like these types of games I say give it a shot. Get Racing Spirits too if you don't already have it.
Thanks for your thoughts.  Yeah I have Racing Spirits- haven't given it a good day in court yet though- just a prelim.  Racing hucards I have Final Lap Twin, Out Run, Chase HQ, MotoRoader, Racing Spirits, Power Drift and F1 Circus- that's probably about how I'd rank 'em too- though admittedly Racing Spirits is the one I've yet to really give serious play time to.  From the little of it I've played though I didn't feel like it stacked up to Final Lap Twin- but Final Lap Twin also has killer chip tunes (among my favorite) and that quest mode going for it.  You're right though F1 Triple is dirt cheap so I really can't go wrong in buying it to see for myself.
IMG

M1Savage

My biggest gripe with Racing Spirits is that it has some super annoying music in the game. I never really gave F1 Triple a chance until recently but it's grown on me. It can be real challenging depending on the steering type and engine you choose.

turbokon

Tired of beating LOT so therefore I'm trying to beat GOT.  Never been able to beat the game yet.  I've gotten to the boss of Dark City, man that stage music soundtrack is bad ass.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Ninja Spirit

My Metal Stoker playthrough on YouTube

Sinistron

Just beat Hero Tonma for the first time- I've played it a few times before and got decently far (though it is a SHORT game)- this time I just ran through it.  Wasn't much of a challenge and damn the last boss is a joke.  Can't believe they gave him his own level with no stage or anything- just him.  I liked this game at first but after beating it my appreciation of it has worn down considerably- it plays decent enough, has some chip tunes I'm fond of and looks nice in spots- but it's just too damn short and simple.  In the same vein as Ninja Spirit for me- although Ninja Spirit is admittedly a better game.
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

spenoza

Metal Stoker looks very similar to Granada on the Genesis. They are clearly different games, but they are definitely in a similar vein.

Sinistron

Played Override for the first time last night and I was raving about it on the shoutbox- It is awesome- Definitely above average.  I'd put it in my top five favorite overhead hucard shooters.  To me it feels like Psycho Chaser, Final Blaster, Image Fight and Blazing Lazers thrown into a blender.  The graphics, color and music recall Psycho Chaser, the secondary weapons recall the weapons in Final Blaster and Image Fight (even the red Image Fight directional pods), and it has the kick-ass gameplay and the ability to push the screen further left or right like in Blazing Lazers.  It also has a huge shot that powers up when idle, a multitude of secondary weapons that can be powered up like 4 or five times, a regular shot that can be powered up, speed selection, great parallex on several levels, a boss rush, zero slowdown, blistering intense action and tons of enemies filling the screen.  Only drawback is perhaps it's a bit too easy- especially for a wriggler like myself- Playing it for the first time I already reached and almost defeated the final boss- but man this game has GREAT gameplay and like I said it's pretty intense.  All this and it's only a two meg cart- I was really surprised by this one- a definite recommendation.
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Playing through "City Hunter"

This video was made the day I got the game out of my mailbox, rehearsing the stages wasn't too hard.

Lochlan

Last night I finally got to the end boss of Bonk's Adventure.  Despite the power ups between the bosses, the boss rush is too hard.  The level-3 boss always kills me too many times with his air punching.

By the time I finally get to the real boss, I don't have enough lives to beat him.  (I seem to get hit whenever I hit him, too).

What a frustrating endgame.

Edit: although Last Alert is worse -- the last level in that game is so insanely cheap, which is bizarre given how easy the rest of the game is.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

nat

Maybe it's because I grew up on Bonk, but I find all the Bonk games insanely easy. Last time I played through Bonk's Adventure for high score in the high score area I had 27 lives in reserve after defeating the final boss. :)

Lochlan

Quote from: nat on 05/31/2008, 04:52 PMMaybe it's because I grew up on Bonk, but I find all the Bonk games insanely easy.
Well, for me, the levels are easy, but a couple of those bosses' patterns are killing me.  Once I figure those out a bit better I'm sure I'll have an easier time.

Quote from: nat on 05/31/2008, 04:52 PMLast time I played through Bonk's Adventure for high score in the high score area I had 27 lives in reserve after defeating the final boss. :)
:o  Wow...27 lives...jeez.  I didn't even know it was possible to get that many.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

Sinistron

There's a lot of free guys and points spread around Bonk's Adventure Lochlan-

I beat Override last night- didn't use continues either. I'll spare you guys my relentless gushing on this title this time around.

My Terra Cresta II arrived today and I played it-
It's above average.  Some gorgeous background graphics here- a bit of parallex (third and fourth boards- although strangely each "stage" has two boards each with their own bosses that don't seem connected in any way- so the third board is called Stage 2-1).  I reached the 7th board- or Stage 4-1 as its called- wanted to keep going but Sue was egging me to take her to pick up her prescription.  Anyway- apart from the great backgrounds- it starts off kind of slow with not many enemies on screen- things only seem to start getting difficult from the fifth board on.  Even then its still a slow scrolling shooter- not really too intense- there's even some occasional slowdown (there is a select speed for your ship though- I kept it mostly on 3 or 4 (the highest)).  A lot of the enemies are reminiscent of enemy strings from Galaga.  The weapons are interesting- I'm not exactly sure how to explain it in detail yet but it seems that when you get a power-up you are able to switch up and place an option- or several options- in front of you up to three times for a strong wave laser. Interestingly before each board starts you can change the firing direction of the different power-up shells.  A lot of common shooter stuff is thrown at you, like exploding volcanoes, creeping vines, and maze like wall structures- however it seems almost like a fairly new experience due to the detailed (for a chip game) graphics.  The music seemed pretty decent- nothing that really grabbed me by the balls though.  The bosses have some interesting patterns but are easier to beat than the actual levels.  Overall I'd say it's an above average overhead hucard shooter- but not on the level where I place The Star Soldier games, Blazing Lazers, Override and Image Fight.  I place it higher than Final Blaster- it feels like a better play- but not by a whole lot.  So what exactly makes this an above-average shooter?  The background graphics for the most part- also I love having a tiny ship- especially when there's good hit detection- I was amazed that at times I was even able to wriggle through enemies that came out on a string- some good wriggling action though nothing as intense as Override- however it doesn't try to be so intense- it's pretty laid back for the most part- and it establishes a solid mood.  Is it worth the 100+ it regularly goes for on EBay?  No.  If you want overhead hucard shooter action at this speed you might want to save your money and pick up Final Blaster or Galaga '88/90 (though I'm sure a good number of us here have Galaga)- or you might not- lol.  It's your call.  I picked up the hucard loose for 50 on EvilBay- thanks to runin for showing me the link. 

So it's pretty good- solid even- just not great.  Definitely worth playing- but not at the high price.  If you're looking for an intense overhead hucard shooter this isn't it.  Get the Soldier games, Image Fight, BL and Override.  If you're looking for an expensive mostly laid back shooter with lush background graphics- then this is your ticket.
IMG

nat

I think TC2 is a great game, and the music will grow on you. Trust me. :)

Sinistron

I do think the game's above average Nat- but I must admit that I feel kind of spoiled after just being shocked by the awesomeness of the 2-meg Override  :P
IMG

nat

Next time I see Override for a decent price I'll grab it. Nobody's ever mentioned it before-- I've overlooked it many times.

Sinistron

You know Nat you're 110% right.  My opinion of Terra Cresta II is completely different- I had to just pause the game now to come in and say that.  I think honestly from just playing a more busy and fluid shooter to then playing a slow one with backgrounds that are so pretty that your mind wavers that I wasn't able to judge it correctly.   The music is also MUCH better than I initially thought it to be.  The music, graphics, bosses and interesting weapon system definitely make this top shelf- it's definitely the best of the slower type shooters- makes the Dragon Spirit games look like trash in comparison.  I also like when you collect all of the ship pieces- cool shit.  This would be a great game to zone out too- another reason why I'm loving it so much right now at 5:30 in the morning  :)  Ceti you'll love this game.

ps Now I see that there really aren't bosses in the Stage .0's and that their themes are intertwined with the .2 Stages.   #-o

I also have to say now that yes, this game is worth getting- but only if it sounds like your cup of tea, and hopefully for cheaper than what it goes for.
IMG

PCEngineHell

I played Download for  abit. I really need to put more effort into it,its pretty damn nice. Pretty good change of pace from the typical stuff I have been playing for sure.

nat

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/01/2008, 10:29 AMI played Download for  abit. I really need to put more effort into it,its pretty damn nice. Pretty good change of pace from the typical stuff I have been playing for sure.
Hell yeah, the Download games are some very underrated shooters on the system. Unique, interesting, challenging, and all around great fun. Good soundtracks too.

I've beaten both of them.... good times. Although I personally prefer the first-- it's tougher than the 2nd and just "hit the spot" a little better for me. The 2nd game was an easy clear, cleared it the first time I played it.

Ninja Spirit

I understand in Download 2 Adolf Hitler makes another appearance

CrackTiger

Quote from: HypeG on 06/02/2008, 10:41 AMI understand in Download 2 Adolf Hitler makes another appearance
I haven't played through it, but his mug is on the cover.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TR0N

Street Fighter 2
Sylphia

Afther a short run on the famicom the duo-r is out again.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

JoshTurboTrollX

Order of the Griffon, working on another quickie video..

Shocking this is my first Turbo game I have reviewed...

What took me so long??