What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

I have to admit, your video made the game look really good.

That's one of the last US releases I have yet to pick up.

MurderDate

great review, TurboStar.   I had a good time playing OotG when I gave it a go as well.  Took me an entire day just to get started. I couldn't make it beyond that dungeons with the red/blue pools..  it was just so crazy hard for me I figured I had no chance of making it after that. I will say I had a ton of fun setting up my characters and basically learning how to play, though.  The battles can be really fun, too.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

nat

Dragon Egg- I just cleared this game my second time with it, I only got it [from electrohaze] like a week ago. My opinion of this game reflects runinruder's exactly, so just see his review here and be done with it.

The only thing that I can add is that I was initially turned off by this game as the graphics in the first level, unlike the rest of the game, are a horrible, ugly dark brown mess. As a matter of fact, I would have never bothered with this game at all had it not been for runin's review. Once you get past the first area, the visuals pick up for the better. This game boats some really neat Mode 7-ish effects (put to great use, mind you, not pointlessly implemented like so many SNES games) and the game plays really smoothly without a hint of slowdown. Anyway, that's all I'm gonna say really, just see runin's review.

hindsr1976

Right now Bomberman 93 and Castlevania: Rondo Blood finaly got an original.

NecroPhile

Quote from: hindsr1976 on 06/05/2008, 10:36 PMRight now Bomberman 93 and Castlevania: Rondo Blood finaly got an original.
Same here - Drac X is getting lots of play time with a bunch of Skweek between whipping sessions.  The little fuzz ball is really cute and the arcade style action is great; unfortunately, it's a bit repetitive and there should be a law barring non-simultaneous two player modes.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

Power Golf- This is one of those rare instances where I owned & played a sequel before owning and/or playing it's predecessor. Either way, Power Golf 2 is definitely the better title in just about every area. All that said, Power Golf isn't half bad and probably doesn't entirely deserve it's bad rap. It showed up in my mailbox today, all new fresh and sealed from SimpleSimon's store, costing me a total of about $13 (yes, that's even after the hefty shipping from Europe). Not bad considering $13 doesn't even get me three gallons of gas these days.

For a golf game, it's about as bare bones as they come, but it gets the job done. Gameplay wise the only thing that seemed a little funky was control of the shot (stroke power & curve). The game utilizes the classic power meter most golf games love to use, but I found it incredibly difficult to stop the meter where I wanted (I don't have this problem in other golf games that use this method) and even the slightest inaccuracy in this regard caused my drive to curve substantially to the left or right. Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad but it was definitely touchier than it should have been.

I played through the entire standard single-player mode and other than the quirk mentioned above, it was a pleasant enough experience. There is only one in-game tune but it's pleasant enough and didn't get on my nerves. There's only one course you can play, but what do you expect from a 1980's golf simulation? I should add however that I've always been into video golf games. There are two kinds of video golf lovers-- those who enjoy the game for what it is, and what I call "arcade" golf lovers. I'm something of the former, where the latter folks view it as "just another video game" and tend to get impatient easily with typical golf simulations, just wanting the game to hurry up and move along. As a youngster I started my video golfing playing MacGolf on our Mactintosh Plus in the mid to late 80's where in between shots it took anywhere from 60 full seconds to 2 minutes to re-draw the scenery. Any minor delays present in any of the Turbo golf games seem like nanoseconds by comparison and thus my game of Power Golf seemed to go quickly and smoothly.

In the long run though, unless you're into video golf games on some level, Power Golf will probably come across as much too primitive and you'll have more fun pointing and laughing at the dated course graphics than with the gameplay itself. Those people, along with the "arcade golfers," are better off passing up Power Golf in favor of Power Golf 2 or another golf game (runinruder keeps telling me Fine Shot Golf from Human is the best golf game on the system but I've yet to try it out). For those folks like me who grew up on MacGolf or any of the multiple golf games on the Amiga 500/1000, pick up Power Golf on the cheap and you'll probably enjoy an afternoon reminiscing about playing video golf on your computer after school as a youngster.

jboypacman

Ok the last couple of days i have been playing lots of Lords of Thunder and Dracula X. :D

Paisa49

Devil's Crush and Legendary Axe for me.

MurderDate

I can really love a good golf game.  I forget the name of the game I played back in my first run of video game hobby (circa '86-'92) but it was an entirely lost memory (now a foggy memory) until the Neo Geo fell into my lap with it's two funny and cute golf games.
It's a shame the Turbo doesn't have a real gem of a golf game of it's own (but we DO have WCT/FLT).  Could you imagine a post-Magical Chase golf game by Quest in '93? (akin to the Turf Masters/Metal Slug thing on the Geo)

The Turbo really ended on a high note..  If they could've just hung in there for a few more titles there's a good chance we'd have one or a few more age-defying classics.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sinistron

Wow Dragon Egg! was easy- I know you guys said it was easy- but man only game I have that's easier is Niko Niko Pun.  Was a nice ten minute diversion though I guess...   :|

It's got to be a kid's game though I'm assuming...
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Ninja Spirit

I just got Burning Angels.

I almost called the Riot Police on stage 4

nat

Quote from: Sinistron on 06/10/2008, 06:52 PMWow Dragon Egg! was easy- I know you guys said it was easy- but man only game I have that's easier is Niko Niko Pun.  Was a nice ten minute diversion though I guess...   :|

It's got to be a kid's game though I'm assuming...
Nice game though, eh?

Too bad it was so easy.

On the "easy" note...

Somer Assault-- This game is right up there with Dragon EGG! as far as difficulty (or lack thereof) goes. You are a slinky, and your mission is to thwart an evil sorceress' plans to take over the world. The best I could describe this game is as a platform/shooter hybrid. You'll slink through all 12 levels in no time. The boss characters, all somehow related to the Zodiac are slightly more challenging than the levels themselves but you should have no trouble 1cc'ing the game on your first or second try. That is, until the final boss battle(s). You'll face a gauntlet of all 12 bosses all over again, in sequence, and then be confronted with the evil sorceress who's spirit proceeds to take on many different forms. The final boss gauntlet and battles themselves probably take up more time than the rest of the game combined (!!!).  I had no trouble clearing the game up until this point, however, I died on my initial encounter with the sorceress. While you have unlimited continues, you are only granted three lives and your, uhm, slinky is reverted to his weakest level. Also, you have to start the final battle all over again. I spent 40 minutes devising patterns and plans to best the sorceress, who then changes into three evil slinkys, and then changes a second time into three evil heads, only to fail, fail, fail every time. I think the object is probably to reach this point fully powered up and just, uh, don't die. I never did beat the three heads, so I have no idea if they morph again, but needless to say after 40 minutes I was extremely frustrated. It's a pity they didn't make the difficulty in this game a little more balanced, as you'll have lots of fun slinking around the stages trying to find the boss room. The level designs are very good for the most part, with a few that felt like they were thrown together fairly quickly. Graphics are top-notch with great character design and excellent shading on everything. You're also treated to a superb soundtrack that is just delightful which I'm 99% sure was done by the same guy who did Dungeon Explorer (both games were developed by Atlus). Expect more upbeat stuff here and less of the somber you get with DE, although just a few of the musical cues sound like they were taken straight out of DE.  I'd be utterly shocked if the same person wasn't responsible for both game's music. Despite the horrendously unbalanced difficulty, I'd still recommend this game. It's unique enough that it's got something for everyone... I sure as hell have never played anything like it, and all the good here was good enough to make the negatives seem insignificant. It's gonna bug me that I didn't finish off the final battle though, so I'll probably give it another go in a day or two. At least this time I'll know it's imperative to be fully powered up by the final battle.

NecroPhile

The only real challenge for most of Somer Assault is being able to find the boss before time runs out.  It's almost ridiculously easy if set your birthdate for the first stage, though it's better to set it for the last in preparation for the boss guantlet.

Quote from: MurderDate on 06/09/2008, 03:15 PMI can really love a good golf game.  I forget the name of the game I played back in my first run of video game hobby (circa '86-'92) but it was an entirely lost memory (now a foggy memory) until the Neo Geo fell into my lap with it's two funny and cute golf games.
It's a shame the Turbo doesn't have a real gem of a golf game of it's own (but we DO have WCT/FLT).  Could you imagine a post-Magical Chase golf game by Quest in '93? (akin to the Turf Masters/Metal Slug thing on the Geo)
Have you tried Go! Go! Birdie Chance?  It sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Sinistron

Just cleared Genji Tsushin Agedama.  Great game, fantastic even  :).  Boss rush at the end conducted by a wizard , when you beat the wizard gun turrets guard a bunker- it is difficult to not get hit at least once by the wizard's two ghouls or by the gun turrets.  Then a giant purple face does some attack patterns and slopes his eyes toward you- I actually only had one hit left when I beat him- took a few tries.  Clear number 63  :D
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Ninja Spirit

My latest video

Beat the infamous Burning Angels

esteban

Quote from: nat on 06/10/2008, 08:48 PMDespite the horrendously unbalanced difficulty, I'd still recommend this game. It's unique enough that it's got something for everyone... I sure as hell have never played anything like it, and all the good here was good enough to make the negatives seem insignificant. It's gonna bug me that I didn't finish off the final battle though, so I'll probably give it another go in a day or two. At least this time I'll know it's imperative to be fully powered up by the final battle.
You have to beat the game, dude. I agree that it is a game that should be recommended to folks. It is an odd melding of genres, so it certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I love the puzzle+action+shooting+bizzarro mechanics of this game.

Now, if I could just get you to start showin' some love for Veigues ...

I don't have Mesopotamia (yet!) ... I wonder if TTi tinkered with the difficulty levels of the game. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Mesopotamia was more challenging?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Radiantsvgun

Sinistron

Power League II Pennant Mode- finally beat the team that was proving to be a real nightmare- The Carks.  Whenever they choose their left-handed pitcher for their starter he's all nastiness and really brings the business.  Well- last night- my team (the Drums) destroyed the Carks 14 zip for their seventh victory.  Knocked that left handed clown for a few loops- even rocked a grand slam off him and then they finally took his tired ass out.  I believe there's two more matches for the pennant and then I can finally chalk up Power League II as another clear.

My 1,000th post- popped my Punchy Pedro cherry.  Happy Birthday to me and all that good shit.
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Fighting Run had me pissed me off reeeeeeeaaaal badly today.

It's that Dan Fujiyama (B-Section Pilot C, the one with the Shogun mask), he'll mind-fuck the shit out of you with his speed and his flame thrower in addition to the obstacles

Sinistron

Was great to finally play Street Fighter II last night on the ol' Turbo- I've played this game countless times in the past but never owned a copy myself- being that I only collected TG and I didn't have a reverse tap and avenue 6's...  Thankfully Nat modded me a reverse tap earlier this year and my avenue 6 pads arrived this week.  Went to test it out last night and wound up beating it using Chun Li though I couldn't remember how to do her helicopter move  :oops:...  I know tons of people have beat this already but I've never beaten it before though I've played it countless times- you know how it is if you don't own it- I'd be playing in arcades but there'd always be some little punk jumping in who mastered all of Ken's moves and would make me look like dogshit in two seconds- and playing at friends' houses was just a parade of matches between friends- no real chance to play through the game one player.  Well anyway- was a special delight for me to finally play this on my TG.   :)

And oh yeah- what's with some of these guys being misnamed?  Vega wasn't Vega and M. Bison wasn't M. Bison...
IMG

Gentlegamer

Alternating between Neutopia and Dungeon Explorer.
IMG

nat

Quote from: Sinistron on 07/03/2008, 09:01 AMWas great to finally play Street Fighter II last night on the ol' Turbo- I've played this game countless times in the past but never owned a copy myself- being that I only collected TG and I didn't have a reverse tap and avenue 6's...  Thankfully Nat modded me a reverse tap earlier this year and my avenue 6 pads arrived this week.  Went to test it out last night and wound up beating it using Chun Li though I couldn't remember how to do her helicopter move  :oops:...  I know tons of people have beat this already but I've never beaten it before though I've played it countless times- you know how it is if you don't own it- I'd be playing in arcades but there'd always be some little punk jumping in who mastered all of Ken's moves and would make me look like dogshit in two seconds- and playing at friends' houses was just a parade of matches between friends- no real chance to play through the game one player.  Well anyway- was a special delight for me to finally play this on my TG.   :)

And oh yeah- what's with some of these guys being misnamed?  Vega wasn't Vega and M. Bison wasn't M. Bison...
The naming in the Turbo version is actually "correct."

The versions you are used to playing are actually the ones with the guys misnamed-- domestic US ports which had the names altered because of potential racial issues.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Sinistron on 07/03/2008, 09:01 AMAnd oh yeah- what's with some of these guys being misnamed?  Vega wasn't Vega and M. Bison wasn't M. Bison...
They rotated the three names (M. Bison to Balrog, Balrog to Vega, and Vega to M. Bison) to lessen the chances of being sued by the ear chomper for infringement.

Ceti Alpha

I'm still pounding away on Dragon Spirit. Unfortunately, I'm still suffering from Loser Spirit. I can only get to the boss on level 6. I'm getting close, but not quite there just yet. However, I know I will prevail in the end.  8)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

LEO EL INCOMPARABLE

nat

Nice, SS is one of the best games on the system. You're in for a challenge though, make no mistake.

geise

I'm taking a stroll down memory lane and playing Dungeon Explorer.  I still love it!  I love the sequel, but this game will always be one of my favorites.

atr3yu

Super Raiden, I can make it to level 3 without dying. I am also playing New Adventure Island, ah the memories!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: atr3yu on 07/13/2008, 07:33 PMSuper Raiden, I can make it to level 3 without dying. I am also playing New Adventure Island, ah the memories!!
Sounds like some good gamin' you got goin' on over there.  :mrgreen:

I'd like to get Super Raiden sometime to see the differences between that and the HuCARD.
IMG

atr3yu

Ah I am cheating as I am using a ISO myself till I can buy it, but there is NO difference except the audio is 1,000 times better. I have all the TGCD/PCE CD-ROM images but I really prefer the "real" thing. I just like to try it before I buy it to make sure I don't waste any cash. Besides it is the only way I can play Rondo of Blood in English.

oldskool

Ninja Spirit

Far East of Eden II, jumping between both PC Engine and Nintendo DS versions

I am having a little problem though.

I'm trying to get to the Tengu retreat where the Kagerou spell is (on the southwest end of Map 1), but the Dark Orchid's tentacles are sticking out of the ground and blocking the path.

Paisa49

Quote from: geise on 07/13/2008, 05:17 PMI'm taking a stroll down memory lane and playing Dungeon Explorer.  I still love it!  I love the sequel, but this game will always be one of my favorites.
I don't enjoy Dungeon Explorer as much when I'm playing it solo. DE is infinitely better when you have the multitap going.

Gogan

Nothin beats the real thing.

RyGuy

CrackTiger

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 08/03/2008, 11:03 AMFar East of Eden II, jumping between both PC Engine and Nintendo DS versions

I'm trying to get to the Tengu retreat where the Kagerou spell is (on the southwest end of Map 1), but the Dark Orchid's tentacles are sticking out of the ground and blocking the path.
You'll get to pick it up later on after defeating an orchid.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2008, 02:24 AM
Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 08/03/2008, 11:03 AMFar East of Eden II, jumping between both PC Engine and Nintendo DS versions

You'll get to pick it up later on after defeating an orchid.
Ah thanks. In the FAQ's I used, at that point of the game they don't mention the tentacles and make it sound like that path is readily accessible

Arjak

I recently started trying to play Vasteel, but God, is it ever hard! After several hours of playing, I still can't beat the first board. ](*,)
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

MotoRoaderMike

I haven't touched my Turbo in months. I STILL don't have enough games for it.
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: MotoRoaderMike on 09/02/2008, 05:51 PMI haven't touched my Turbo in months. I STILL don't have enough games for it.
Don't neglect your Turbo!  [-X

...or pay the consequences, as these turbo madness victim videos graphically illustrate:
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

joe's video was better- I need to learn better editing tricks.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Quote from: Arjak on 09/02/2008, 04:57 PMI recently started trying to play Vasteel, but God, is it ever hard! After several hours of playing, I still can't beat the first board. ](*,)
Once you get the hang of handling your ATACs, it gets far easier. I had trouble with it the very first time, but the second time I absolutely slaughtered it and have had no trouble since. Understanding the capabilities of each machine is important too, and figuring out the fastest way to reach each city given the environments around them. Exploiting weaknesses in the enemy's AI also helps tremendously...enemy ATACs will not fire their missles until they are perfectly aligned with you, so it's very, very easy to bait them into firing repeatedly and wasting their missiles. Watch out for ATACs that have charge times on missile fire though...if you try the "bait and evade" tactic with them, you have to use good timing or else they might send a missile up your tail. :D An ATAC without missiles is largely a sitting duck, even against much weaker ATACs (of course, this doesn't exactly apply to some of the super-powered ATACs such as Stormer or the ultra-badass Reaper that can just punch you to death or fill you full of powerful bullets). Another thing to get under control is the firing of your own missiles. Some ATACs fire right away, some have a charge time. If you play as Falial, an army of Grunts (Grunt, Sandgrunt, or Aquagrunt) can be very effective in keeping back some of the bigger enemy ATACs. If you play as Stefan, Blenders do the same for him (Scouts are largely useless, though they do pack one hell of an arsenal of missiles). Both of these ATACs fire their missiles immediately. ATACs like Leech, Disruptor, and Bile have charge times on their missiles, so a good way of using them is to start firing, THEN aim your shot rather than aim and fire. When I play as Stefan, I can play through many of the land maps only building Blenders and finishing off the enemy base with a Bile or two. If you need any further help with the game, let me know. :D

Anyways, I'm not playing anything at the moment, as my TG is at my new house where there's no power just yet.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/03/2008, 09:23 AM
Quote from: MotoRoaderMike on 09/02/2008, 05:51 PMI haven't touched my Turbo in months. I STILL don't have enough games for it.

...or pay the consequences, as these turbo madness victim videos graphically illustrate:
Haha I actually thought about making my own one as well....

In fact I had a couple new ideas myself, as far as how I get killed by my Duo-R. But I want to use special fx like electricity.

I'll definitely use the "I'll Kill You" voice clip from Soldier Blade

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 09/04/2008, 12:14 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/03/2008, 09:23 AM

Haha I actually thought about making my own one as well....

In fact I had a couple new ideas myself, as far as how I get killed by my Duo-R. But I want to use special fx like electricity.

I'll definitely use the "I'll Kill You" voice clip from Soldier Blade
haha. Using the Soldier Blade voice clip would be most awesome.  :mrgreen:
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/04/2008, 02:58 PMhaha. Using the Soldier Blade voice clip would be most awesome.  :mrgreen:
Especially if used in conjunction with the "I'll be back" voice sample.  8)

drdre

Bloody Wolf  :D and Legend of Xanadu II- I was playing Military Madness for a while, but then the madness hit me and I had to put it away......
Arms installation is complete....good luck

Arkhan Asylum

I just beat BLoody Wolf again last night, so now I am playing Sinistron.

I was playing Sidearms, but that game pisses me off.   >_<
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ratix

right now i am playing Deep Blue. and i seem to be stuck on Scene A. and i have no idea when a boss fight happens. anyone know what i am doing? maybe if i look up the manual. still nothing
IMG

nat

HAHA, that's classic. You'll know when a boss fight happens. If you don't, you haven't got to one yet. Keep trying. The game is initially tough until you figure out it's nuances. Pointers: Avoid the purple bubbley weapon to start, by far the best weapon is the blue swirl, but it's kind of weak until you power it up. You have to collect a number of the blue swirls subsequently, it will power the weapon up one level each time you collect one. Just avoid the purple one.